Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ontario Drivers - Attention (Highway Traffic Act related)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ontario Drivers - Attention (Highway Traffic Act related)

I've seen this on a couple forums and received it in a few emails so I'm passing it along just in case it is real. If it's deemed fake, please lock and delete this thread.

---

Ontario drivers - attention
    (please pass on to everyone you know)...

I was driving on the 417 West at Panmure at broad daylight at 2 p.m., when I came upon two police cruisers who had pulled over a third
    vehicle. I slowed down to be cautious, and was surprised when the second cruiser pulled out and pulled me over.

Approaching on the passenger side, the officer asked if I knew why I had been pulled over. I honestly expressed that I had no idea.

He informed me that Ontario law now states that when approaching any emergency vehicle, on the roadside, with lights flashing, you must enter
    the left lane. He then proceeded to ticket me, taking three demerits and issuing a fine of , wait for it, . . . $490! (Yes, I'm choking as I type that.)

I realize I did not change lanes, but I do believe I was cautious. My message is, be careful. He said that they are cracking down hard on this
    because of three injured officers in the last ten days.
    I did not realize this was the law. Neither did any of my recently-licensed children. Or, evidently, not the 47 drivers (I counted) who broke the same
    law as I sat waiting to receive my ticket!

---

Hi,
    I saw this happen today (Feb 24th/08) on Highway 69 South of Sudbury, on the passing lane on the Magnetewan flats.

A cruiser was parked on the shoulder of the southbound lane with his lights flashing. He had no vehicle stopped, he was just parked there.

I was northbound and reduced my speed, the extra lane was on the southbound side so, there were two lanes between me and the cruiser.

A southbound motorist passed the cruiser without moving to the outer lane and the Officer immediately pulled out and gave chase to that driver.

I saw him stopping him in my mirror before going over the next hill. The car did not appear to be speeding, in fact he seemed to slow, but failed to change lanes and was (presumably) stopped for that reason!

---

"Enforcing the law and providing emergency assistance often require emergency vehicles to park in a lane or on the shoulder of a road or highway. To increase safety, Ontario's Highway Traffic Act now requires motorists when approaching a police, fire or ambulance vehicle stopped with its red lights flashing in the same direction of travel, either in a lane or on the shoulder of a road or highway, to slow down and pass with caution. If the road has two or more lanes, the motorist must move over into another lane, if it can be done safely. Failing to do so can result in the following

First offence- $400 to $2,000, plus 3 demerit points upon conviction

Subsequent offence- (within 5 years) - $1,000 to $4,000, possible jail time up to 6 months and possible suspension of driver's licence for up to 2 years"

---

Below is the the excerpt from the Ontario Highway Traffic Act. relating to this offence. It is under section 159.1 (1), (2), (3),(4),(5).

Approaching stopped emergency vehicle
    159.1 (1) Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light or red and blue light that is stopped on a highway, the driver of a vehicle traveling on the same side of the highway shall slow down and proceed with caution, having due regard for traffic on and the conditions of the highway and the weather, to ensure that the driver does not collide with the emergency vehicle or endanger any person outside of the emergency vehicle. 2002, c. 21, s. 1; 2007, c. 13, s. 20.
    Same
    (2) Upon approaching an emergency vehicle with its lamp producing intermittent flashes of red light that is stopped on a highway with two or more lanes of traffic on the same side of the highway as the side on which the emergency vehicle is stopped, the driver of a vehicle traveling in the same lane that the emergency vehicle is stopped in or in a lane that is adjacent to the emergency vehicle, in addition to slowing down and proceeding with caution as required by subsection (1), shall move into another lane if the movement can be made in safety. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.
    Same
    (3) Nothing in subsection (1) or (2) prevents a driver from stopping his or her vehicle and not passing the stopped emergency vehicle if stopping can be done in safety and is not otherwise prohibited by law. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.
    Offence
    (4) Every person who contravenes subsection (1) or (2) is guilty of an offence and on conviction is liable,
    (a) for a first offence, to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000; and
    (b) for each subsequent offence, to a fine of not less than $1,000 and not more than $4,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both. 2002, c. 21, s. 1.
    Time limit for subsequent offence
    (5) An offence referred to in subsection (4) committed more than five years after a previous conviction for an offence referred to in subsection (4) is not a subsequent offence for the purpose of clause (4) (b). 2002, c. 21, s. 1
    2014 Deep Crystal Blue Mazda3 Sport GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ontario Drivers - Attention (Hughway Traffic Act related)

There is something in the traffic act about that, i remember hearing it on the news. I dont recall it being about pulling over to the left lane but rather to slow down when a cop is parked on the side with the lights on. I believe it said slow down and move left if possible.

Thats an insane fine for not changing lanes... i'll be sure to warn the wifey!

If there is a change to the traffic act I believe there should be some sort of notification given possibly when license plate renewal slips are sent out. Because the majority of renewals are send on a yearly basis most people will be made aware and the word can spread. Perhaps they could give everyone warnings for the first year and then fully enforce it from there on in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you can safely do so, you MUST pull to the left. If you can't safely do so (there's traffic there), then you should slow down and pass by as safely as possible.

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sucks to be you but this has been in the book as long as I can remember. And I always do the lane change! Ive even seen Signs at some places to educate drivers...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

really i have never heard of it before, i do it anyways to be safe but not because i thought i had to

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mleblond View Post
    Sucks to be you but this has been in the book as long as I can remember. And I always do the lane change! Ive even seen Signs at some places to educate drivers...
    Sucks to be them more like. Those were excerpts in the email I received, not of me getting caught Just passing along the info!

That's one of the first things Young Drivers stressed teaching me about which I've made a habit of doing since day one.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow nothing like a money grab

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MPS View Post
    wow nothing like a money grab
    Slowing down isnt a money grab.... tell that to the family of the cop who got hit, and died, due to someone not passing the vehicle safely

-John

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yaa but most of the ppl got pulled they did slow down just never changed lane

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can see having to slow down.. but doesn't this also set up a dangerous situation?
    especially with such a high fine, people will panic and try to switch lanes even if it's not safe to do so and possible cause a very bad accident?

the fine seems very high. and who determines if you could safely change lanes?
    2017 Mazda 3 GT Sport

Banned
    Ride
    Mazdaspeed6
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its up to the cop so money grab it is

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ontario Drivers - Attention (Highway Traffic Act related)

I understand the safety part of this... but really I'm with Vlad on this one.. the charge is ridiculous. I always do it just as courtesy also went to YD for driving lessons way back but it was something that was definitely taught to you.

Will
    "4 doors are better then 2, this way it's twice the zoom zoom"

That's Mr. APRIL NOOB 2 U

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just another one of those nice little hidden laws in the HTA that no one really knows about until its brought forth.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's actually been publicity about this in the media in recent months.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have heard of it recently in the news... but I think there really should be more information put out there.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    There's actually been publicity about this in the media in recent months.
    Yeah I saw that too! and the law has been changed recently!! It used to be that you should slow down and leave a safe distance when passing.Now safe distance is not good enough, you now must slow down and change lanes, if safe to do so.

I think it was changed due to several incedences, but I guess it can be used also as a cash-grab-trap.

_3

Last edited by Flagrum_3; 02-29-2008 at 01:52 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

slow down? is there a definition for that? if i am doing 100km/h, 90km/h seems slowing down to me. but what about safety? is there any definition for that? thats totally BS, the officers should be fully trained to protect theirself for that "safety". and again i have never been told that i have to change lane (if i am safety driving on different lane) when they are doing their job, changing lane may cause not safe for us or other drivers and weather is that safe or not to change lane is totaly decide by drivers who were driving the car on that time. "$490 and 3 points" is careless driving ticket in my mind, thats big killer, you cant just hire regular ticket fighter for it but a lawer. i gonna ask my friend about this for sure, i hope an OPP will give me a better answer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are the cops that got hit by traffic sticking their butts into traffic AND not parking their vehicles outwards to protect themselves or when they're exiting their vehicles? It should be their own responsibility to watch for safety. Pure cash grab.

With all these multi-lane 4 hundred series highways and the amount of traffic usually on these roads, it's not frigging possible to have all these traffic merging two lanes! Pure stupidity.
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RX9 View Post
    slow down? is there a definition for that? if i am doing 100km/h, 90km/h seems slowing down to me. but what about safety? is there any definition for that? thats totally BS, the officers should be fully trained to protect theirself for that "safety". and again i have never been told that i have to change lane (if i am safety driving on different lane) when they are doing their job, changing lane may cause not safe for us or other drivers and weather is that safe or not to change lane is totaly decide by drivers who were driving the car on that time. "$490 and 3 points" is careless driving ticket in my mind, thats big killer, you cant just hire regular ticket fighter for it but a lawer. i gonna ask my friend about this for sure, i hope an OPP will give me a better answer.
    Yo, chill brother, sounds like your gonna blow a gasket over this

Its not that big a deal, and its not just for Police officers, its for all emergency vehicles which might be on the roads.If you are driving properly in the sense that you are watching the road several seconds ahead of you and you have good situational awareness ie; you know whats around you.It should never be a problem to either move over, or to slow down or to stop if the need be....its a good rule I think, and its there to save lives.

_3

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im with Flagrum_3 on this one. Better be safe than sorry.

Sometimes you have to learn the hard way ($490 and 3 points) or $20~ to buy updated Ontario's drivers hand book

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

End of the month, must be quota time.
    2006 Carbon Gray M3S / Pro-Kit / EBC Slotted + Dimpled rotors / TWM shortshifter / Injen CAI / Stubby

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Yo, chill brother, sounds like your gonna blow a gasket over this

Its not that big a deal, and its not just for Police officers, its for all emergency vehicles which might be on the roads.If you are driving properly in the sense that you are watching the road several seconds ahead of you and you have good situational awareness ie; you know whats around you.It should never be a problem to either move over, or to slow down or to stop if the need be....its a good rule I think, and its there to save lives.

_3

lol....i am very cold with todays weather. i knew lots bad drivers on the road around us and some of their habit was extremely dangerous. however some officers just over used their authority, you can fight back, it does cost you something. thanks god, i havent met this kind situation yet.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zedtech View Post
    He said that they are cracking down hard on this
    because of three injured officers in the last ten days.
    Talk about closing the barn door after the horses have fled, there should be a continuous effort to educate drivers, perhaps using those overhead signs on the 401/DVP, road side signs (which I have seen in some places) radio ads etc etc, however I have to admit not everyone is going to get the message, just like drinking and driving!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always change lanes if it is safe to do so, whether its an accident, or even a tractor trailer pulled over with its 4 way flashers, you can never tell when someone might open a door without looking or stop out from the front of a tractor trailer.

With that being said I also don't agree with a cop chasing you down to ticket you, seems they are more concerned about getting in more quota then sticking around at the original accident and making sure everyone is ok.

I think there needs to be a law against OPP or crusiers in general parking along the median with a radar setup, it is way to dangerous and to close to the highway. I seen this all the time near Port Hope and between Brighton - Trenton on the 401 by the pit stop.
    2008 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4x4
    KICKER / ALPINE / MTX / STINGER / TSUNAMI

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast