Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust Proofing?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rust Proofing?

So anyways, i just got a car but its not rust proofed. ARGH.

But now i gotta go get it rust proofed.

When i was talking to the financial advisor, he said that i have 2 choices.
    1) Chemical (cost and arm and a leg and he said done like 3 years)
    2) Rust Module (something that emits a field of something to prevent rusting and lasts like for a long long time except changing batter)

Now he also said that if i go to get it rust proofed and if I drilled holes in my car, it would void some kind of 5 year rust warrenty thing that mazda's come with.

NOW, my question is...... I NEED TO rust proof it but where do i do it? Do i drill holes? like i thought the best way was to drill holes and pump them full of the chemical stuff.

Also, any cheap place u guys recommend and what about the price range?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rust Proofing?

they wont cost you that much, and dont ever let them drill holes on your car.
    i have the full treatment done (same as dealer offer, around $1399+tax MSRP) at $350 cash, i have all my cars and my friends done there and no one has problem yet. if you want, i can PM you the shop's number, very nice ppl.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Drilling holes is the best way to get to as much of the inside of the panels as possible. I fully endorse drilling holes and doing oil treatments. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't void any warranty either.
    2006 Mazda 3 Sport GT●Black Mica●Manual●Sunroof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had mine done by the dealer (MOT, can't recall who they farmed it out to) when I bought my car. No drilling. Not sure of the exact material, but it doesn't trip. Lifetime warranty on inside-to-outside corrosion / perferation on the lower part of the car (I guess they don't treat the inside of the roof etc.).
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, the guy at mazda told me if i drill holes, i void the 5 year perferation warrenty or soemthing.

Does anyone else have any opinion on whether i should drill holes or not before i call jeff tomorrow.

Worst timing to buy a car. I have a midterm tomorrow with 8 chapters to read and im here figuring out how i want to fix up my car and mod it lol.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post
    Yea, the guy at mazda told me if i drill holes, i void the 5 year perferation warrenty or soemthing.

Does anyone else have any opinion on whether i should drill holes or not before i call jeff tomorrow.

Worst timing to buy a car. I have a midterm tomorrow with 8 chapters to read and im here figuring out how i want to fix up my car and mod it lol.
    The guy is completely wrong, its what alot of dealerships will tell you.Also unless you get the holes drilled, like Skarbro mentioned, you'll never get the proper protection.There is no other way to get the formula into the rocker-panels, roof and some other areas anyways.Also don't let anyone tell you it will weaken the body structure, as the holes are quite small and the sub-frame on the 3s are of a pretty thick dimension.There has been quite abit of discussion on the matter in several older posts.I suggest you use the search and read all related posts and then deside.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, thanks everyone for your input. It is greatly appreciated. I'll give Krown a call and see what numbers they can work out for me. Does anyone know any other places that do a good job and doesnt cost an arm and a leg? I kinda spent all my money into this car so i have to live off the $1 item sales at no frills for a bit lol

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I'm not mistaken when the dealerships rust proof your car THEY WILL drill holes. With respect to the RUST module. I've done a fair bit of reading on the internet about this and have come to the conclusion that its a gimmick at best.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    If I'm not mistaken when the dealerships rust proof your car THEY WILL drill holes. With respect to the RUST module. I've done a fair bit of reading on the internet about this and have come to the conclusion that its a gimmick at best.
    Absolutely no drilling is done at the dealership. Clips are removed to avoid drilling and the rustproofing is applied into the holes. If there is a body or corrosion claim and you did in fact have the body panels drilled you can say goodbye to your warranty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARGHHHHHHHH. I was just about to call krown tonight lol. Im confused again. Im gonna give Jeff or Joe a call tonight. farking midterm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    Absolutely no drilling is done at the dealership. Clips are removed to avoid drilling and the rustproofing is applied into the holes. If there is a body or corrosion claim and you did in fact have the body panels drilled you can say goodbye to your warranty.
    same as that bodyshop done to my car, they only removed the clips on the doors, they told me that drilling will void warranty at no time, they have done Acura, Hondas contracts all the time <== no drillings for sure. and the stuff under the car and on the paint (door frames, under the hood ect...) is different, under car is black, and on the paint is clear, little yellowish gel alike.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone have their factory warranty papers handy?

Joe, not saying I don't believe you, but I have heard that drilling does not void the warranty with respect to rust claims. Maybe I'm wrong. Wouldn't be the first time.

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RX9 View Post
    they wont cost you that much, and dont ever let them drill holes on your car.
    i have the full treatment done (same as dealer offer, around $1399+tax MSRP) at $350 cash, i have all my cars and my friends done there and no one has problem yet. if you want, i can PM you the shop's number, very nice ppl.
    $1399 for rustproofing ??? $350 cash....I'm confused

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I also recommend oil treatments (yearly) ... oil is able to get into the crevasses a lot better than the paraffin wax that some shops use...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK here it is - The Perforation Warranty wordings. This is from a Mazda6, but I'm sure it's the same for the 3. This is the Canadian version also. Now I can understand them denying a rust claim if one of the drilled holes was the CAUSE of the rust. The hole itself is a perforation, so you have no argument there. However, if another part of the car has a perforation caused simply by rust, then it should still be covered. Nothing says you can't drill holes ala rust-proofing.

Also of note - Surface rust is NOT covered under this warranty unless it makes a HOLE (perforation) in the body.

ANTI-PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY
    CZ
    Mazda warrants that the body sheet metal panels of your new Mazda Vehicle are free
    from defects in material or workmanship which result in perforation (a hole through the
    body panel) due to corrosion, subject to the following terms and conditions. Corrosion
    other than perforation (a hole through the body panel), due to defects in material or workmanship,
    is covered under the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.
    A Mazda Dealer will either repair or replace any body sheet metal panel perforated due to
    defects in material or workmanship, under normal use, without charge to you.
    1. Warranty Period

The warranty period is for the first
    60 months (regardless of kilometrage) from the

earlier date of either retail delivery or first use of the Mazda Vehicle. During the warranty
    period, this warranty is transferable without charge to subsequent owners. Please
    use the Subsequent Ownership Notificationattached to the end of the booklet to
    make this change. If you have any questions in this regard, please contact your Mazda
    Dealer for assistance.
    2. What Is Not Covered
    Any perforation due to corrosion of the Mazda Vehicle which is caused by industrial
    fallout, accident, damage, abuse, vehicle modifications or cargo that is damaging
    or corrosive to the Mazda Vehicle.
    Any surface corrosion of the Mazda Vehicle which does not result in perforation,
    such as that typically caused by sand, salt, hail or stones.
    Any perforation due to corrosion of the Mazda Vehicle which results, not from a
    defect in material or workmanship, but from failure to maintain the Mazda Vehicle
    in accordance with the procedures specified in item 3 (Your Responsibilities) of
    this warranty and the Owners Manual provided with your Mazda Vehicle.
    Any perforation due to corrosion of a part of the Mazda Vehicle which is not a
    body sheet metal panel. As used herein, body sheet metal panelspecifically
    excludes all parts which are components of the exhaust system of the Mazda
    Vehicle.
    Any perforation to panels previously repaired to correct collision damage, fire,
    theft, natural disaster, etc.
    Removal of the vehicle from the warranty-applicable market for which it was produced.
    If the vehicle has been classified a total loss and/or sold for salvage purposes or
    branded for any other reasons.
    ANTI-PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY
    CZ
    3. Your Responsibilities
    Inspect the body sheet metal panels of your Mazda Vehicle frequently and if you
    detect any stone chips or scratches in the paint or protective coating, touch them up
    immediately.
    In addition, special care should be taken to protect your Mazda Vehicle from corrosion.
    1) If you drive on salted roads, or if you drive near the ocean, flush the underbody at
    least once a month with clean water.
    2) It is important to keep the drain holes in the lower edges of the body clear.
    3) If your Mazda Vehicle is damaged due to an accident or any event which may
    cause damage to the paint, have your Mazda Vehicle repaired as soon as possible.
    4) If you carry special cargo, such as chemicals, fertilizers, de-icing salt, or other corrosive
    substances, be sure that such materials are well packaged and sealed.
    5) If you drive frequently on gravel roads, we recommend that you install stone
    guards behind each wheel.
    4. To Get Warranty Service
    You must take your Mazda Vehicle, along with this booklet, to any Mazda Dealer in
    Canada or the United States during their normal service hours. If you have any questions
    or need assistance regarding this warranty, refer to When You Need to Talk to
    Mazdaon page 7.
    5. Limited Liability
    The liability of Mazda under this warranty is limited solely to the repair or replacement
    of parts defective in material or workmanship by a Mazda Dealer at its place of
    business. Specifically, it does not include any expense of, or related to, transportation
    to such a dealer or payment for loss of use of the Mazda Vehicle during warranty
    repairs.
    6. Other Terms
    The

Other Termsstated on page 15 in the New Vehicle Limited Warranty also apply

to this warranty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I read through the body corrosion section of the warrany booklet... the closest I could find to "no drilling" is that corrosion that is caused by modifications is not covered.

Edit: Sigh. Beaten to the punch yet again!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    I read through the body corrosion section of the warrany booklet... the closest I could find to "no drilling" is that corrosion that is caused by modifications is not covered.
    Yeah they would have to demonstrate that the drilled hole is the actual cause of the rust perforation for them to deny your claim.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmmm, if its covered for the first 60 months, my car has 36 left. So..... I guess i spray now, and then drill holes later?

But if they can find proof that the drilling caused the rusting, then my warrenty is void ONLY FOR THE ANTI-PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY right? I think imma go ahead and drill lol. I always heard that was the best way. My intrepid lasted me really long until i started driving it and yea...... lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post
    But if they can find proof that the drilling caused the rusting, then my warrenty is void ONLY FOR THE ANTI-PERFORATION LIMITED WARRANTY right?
    That's correct!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    $1399 for rustproofing ??? $350 cash....I'm confused
    I belived that dealer usually offered around $1399ish without discount which included the rustproofing+interior treatment+diamound coat ect (may be half price when discounted). that shop will only cost $350 in cash for all of those with lifetime warranty on rustproofing. if this helps?

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Skarbro View Post
    Yeah they would have to demonstrate that the drilled hole is the actual cause of the rust perforation for them to deny your claim.
    So what happens if the dealer was to install OEM trim that requires drilling of the door panel?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    The guy is completely wrong, its what alot of dealerships will tell you.Also unless you get the holes drilled, like Skarbro mentioned, you'll never get the proper protection.There is no other way to get the formula into the rocker-panels, roof and some other areas anyways.Also don't let anyone tell you it will weaken the body structure, as the holes are quite small and the sub-frame on the 3s are of a pretty thick dimension.There has been quite abit of discussion on the matter in several older posts.I suggest you use the search and read all related posts and then deside.

_3

you are absolutly correct +1

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by FLIPDADY View Post
    What clips are you talking about? where are they?
    as your statement about the drilled holes is not correct. What does the holes have to do with rusting. The holes are filled with a plactic plug. If the trunk lid is rusted out but no holes drilled anywhere in the lid but the rockers have drill holes does it mean the warranty will be voided. I bet there has never been a corrosion claim on any car from any manufacturer. So do you know for a fact the warranty would be voided? A dealer scare tactic.
    "instill fear and they will consume"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazda lover View Post
    What clips are you talking about? where are they?
    as your statement about the drilled holes is not correct. What does the holes have to do with rusting. The holes are filled with a plactic plug. If the trunk lid is rusted out but no holes drilled anywhere in the lid but the rockers have drill holes does it mean the warranty will be voided. I bet there has never been a corrosion claim on any car from any manufacturer. So do you know for a fact the warranty would be voided? A dealer scare tactic.
    "instill fear and they will consume"
    +1.

Lets also get something else clear here, 99% of vehicles built, will never show perforation type rust within the short span of 5 years,(its takes more than double that time in most cases for it to show its horid face), thats why most manufacturers feel save to offer the 5 year warranty and why its the only type of rust they specify is covered.So basically the perforation warranty is useless.So why worry about it!! But on the other hand if you get your vehicle oil-sprayed by a reputable company such as Krown or Rust-check your vehicle will be much better protected and fully warrantied aslong as you own the vehicle....drill holes and all>Which by the way absolutely do not void your shitty manufacturer's warranty contrary to what dealers will tell you...this point has been played to death!

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    +1.

Lets also get something else clear here, 99% of vehicles built, will never show perforation type rust within the short span of 5 years,(its takes more than double that time in most cases for it to show its horid face), thats why most manufacturers feel save to offer the 5 year warranty and why its the only type of rust they specify is covered.So basically the perforation warranty is useless.So why worry about it!! But on the other hand if you get your vehicle oil-sprayed by a reputable company such as Krown or Rust-check your vehicle will be much better protected and fully warrantied aslong as you own the vehicle....drill holes and all>Which by the way absolutely do not void your shitty manufacturer's warranty contrary to what dealers will tell you...this point has been played to death!

_3

+++1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast