Thread: How's the ride?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default How's the ride?

We purchased a 2008.5 GX Sport (yes, I know the GX == *blah* but it's a good price point). Anyway, a little more money has entered the budget and I'm looking to add a new set of rims to the car to give it a slightly better (read not so cheap) look.

What I want to know is how the ride is on an 18" rim whilst maintaining the same overall time diameter. On an 18" rim the tire sidewall will be ~3.55" thick. Will I notice literally every bump in the road or will it be smooth enough to be relatively enjoyable?

Secondly, as I'm part of the more western brethren (Alberta to be specific) our weather is a little.. confusing at times. As such I won't be adding purely performance tires but something more towards an all-season style but not the type most people cringe at when they hear that. All-season. *cringe*

I read somewhere that 18"s on the M3 is for show and the 17"s are the all around better choice when it comes to ride vs look. They still give a nice sporty look without sacrificing too much in the way of ride. What does everyone else think?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How's the ride?

Quote Originally Posted by Korren View Post
    We purchased a 2008.5 GX Sport (yes, I know the GX == *blah* but it's a good price point). Anyway, a little more money has entered the budget and I'm looking to add a new set of rims to the car to give it a slightly better (read not so cheap) look.

What I want to know is how the ride is on an 18" rim whilst maintaining the same overall time diameter. On an 18" rim the tire sidewall will be ~3.55" thick. Will I notice literally every bump in the road or will it be smooth enough to be relatively enjoyable?
    First off, there's nothing wrong with a GX! haha

I've got a set of 18s on my '04 GX, and the ride is fine. It's a little rougher, but it's really not bad at all. Just makes it feel a little sportier. In my opinion, 18s are the way to go... with a slight drop, they'll look awesome, and you won't notice a huge difference in the ride.
    Last edited by LockOut; 05-16-2008 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Removed some of original quote

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u are worried get a tire with a softer sidewall ("softer" with respect to other high performance/UHP tires) such as General UHPs.
    ppl are here are nice, I'm sure if you ask them, they'll give you a ride (at a meet)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alberta might be a bit of a trek to come to a meet...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've been in members cars that have 18" rims and generally the ride is a little harder. This is both with stock and aftermarket suspension mods. But I could care less because I really love the look of the 18s. I'm interested in what Fuman said about the softer sidewall though. How would that affect performance?

Remember that there is no such thing as All-Season tires. What works well in the warm does not do so well in the cold. There is more than an abundance of evidence to prove this and many threads here if you choose to search.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was going to suggest that you put some winters on the stockies, and summers on your new 18s , but then I realized what you meant about Alberta. Sometimes you'll get warm weather for a while, and then BAM, snow. I don't know what to tell you. But Cardi is right. All Seasons aren't really good for anything, they're decent for both. But I can see your conundrum...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cardinal Fang View Post
    I've been in members cars that have 18" rims and generally the ride is a little harder. This is both with stock and aftermarket suspension mods. But I could care less because I really love the look of the 18s. I'm interested in what Fuman said about the softer sidewall though. How would that affect performance?

Remember that there is no such thing as All-Season tires. What works well in the warm does not do so well in the cold. There is more than an abundance of evidence to prove this and many threads here if you choose to search.
    For our application, softer sidewall will only affect cornering performance.
    e.g. if we assume Falken RT-615s / General UHP to have the same traction. Straight line performance will be about equal. RT-615's will perform better in the corners because of the harder sidewall. But the ride with RT-615's will be harsher.
    That's my understanding anyway. Feel free to correct me if anyone disagrees

edit: similar to increasing tire PSI.
    Last edited by Fuman; 05-16-2008 at 09:50 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have 18s with stock suspension, and the ride is fine. i dont notice it being any rougher. if anything it handles better, i can grip the road a whole lot better

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    i have 18s with stock suspension, and the ride is fine. i dont notice it being any rougher. if anything it handles better, i can grip the road a whole lot better
    The tires you had before are different though (as in different brand and or model)?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wanted to say thanks to everyone for their input. I've been outside building the deck for the last few days as we've had some rare luck with a bit of great weather! Yay for Alberta weather!

I've been doing some research and will continue to do a little more in the coming week as to what tires and the likes.

The rim style I'd like is something like this TSW Sakata 4. Unfortunately that's a 4 bolt pattern so unusable for me. I'm not a big fan of the Sakata 5 as I think that's too many spokes. Secondly I think I'd also like a 18x8 vs an 18x7.

As a second, the tires the GX comes with are 15x6.5 and I have every intention of ditching them entirely. I'll buy 16x6.5 or 16x7 steelies for winter with appropriate Nokian Hakkapeliita's or Toyo Geo 2's for winter. They should handle the shoulder seasons reasonably well leaving me with the ability to buy a nice set of summers. Oh decisions!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm on 18x7.5" on Tein S-Tech's. Tires are 225/40YR18 Yokohama S.Drive.
    I find that the ride is perfect. Its pretty close to stock ride stiffness (maybe a little stiffer under normal driving conditions), until you hit something big, then you really feel it. You will notice a drastic improvement in cornering feel, not as sloppy, nice and direct. 19's are where you should be afraid.
    --Chris
    Addicted to modding...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll buy 16x6.5 or 16x7 steelies for winter with appropriate Nokian Hakkapeliita's or Toyo Geo 2's for winter. They should handle the shoulder seasons reasonably well leaving me with the ability to buy a nice set of summers. Oh decisions!
    Nokian's are way too expensive, especially here. Not sure how Alberta winters differ from Toronto. Hankook W300, Gislaved Nord Frost 5 have done well for my family (at about 50% of the price of Nokians.) Sorry for going off topic.

I like the TSW Sakata 4. too bad about the 4 bolt pattern =(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The ride is fine on 18s, mind you it all depends on if you lower you car or not. If you stay stock you won't have any complaints.

If weather is an issue, a UHP could still be in your league. A good UHP tires is better in the rain and in the dry than an all season. THE ONLY PLACE a UHP tire doesn't accel is when the temperatures hit 5 or below.

The General Exclaim UHP tire is budget prices, with a softer sidewall (better ride) and does well in both wet and dry weather with good resistence to hydroplanning.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll look into the UHPs. As for weather it can drop to 5 degrees or below for a few days but a careful driver shouldn't have many problems on UHPs then should they?

As for Alberta winters, they can either be incredibly mild or so much snow we don't know what to do with it. Lately it's been mild with some insane cold spells for a week or so here and there and an average amount of show. I've always trusted nokian's, they come in around $160 a tire which isn't too bad. A little more research before I buy anything of course.

@3GFX: what rims are you running and where did you get them?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll look into the UHPs. As for weather it can drop to 5 degrees or below for a few days but a careful driver shouldn't have many problems on UHPs then should they?

As for Alberta winters, they can either be incredibly mild or so much snow we don't know what to do with it. Lately it's been mild with some insane cold spells for a week or so here and there and an average amount of show. I've always trusted nokian's, they come in around $160 a tire which isn't too bad. A little more research before I buy anything of course.

160? that's good.
    i've been quoted at 900, i was like wtf. if its 160 then thats pretty good price.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Advanti TFT Racing, picked up in here in Ontario in Mississauga.

Please don't copy

As for the tires, two sets should do the trick for you. You obviously won't get track tires so them being ultra hard in colder weather wouldnt be to much of an issue. You just have to be more careful when the temps get cooler as the rubber doesn't warm up enough to 'grip' the pavement very well.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please don't copy
    Oh just looking for more companies to check out looking for the style I'd like

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 17" Enkei rims on pro-kits and ride is very door... more stiff but not OVERLY so.