Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Track Prep Thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default Re: Track Prep Thread

Yeah that digital fuel gauge is only as good as looking at F and E. Everything else in the middle is just tetris lol

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    Went for my first lapping day last night, had a bit over 1/4 tank of gas.
    15 minutes later my fuel light was on, I'm assuming I just barely made it thru the session because I had 0 km remaining on my trip computer. Was really surprised, I didn't think I'd go thru that much gas.
    With that said, then some nice guy lent me 2L so i could limp to a gas station down the road... made it, put in 15L and when I got back in the car it was showing me I had half a tank. Weird?
    consider that, when you're tossing the car around the track, the fuel is sloshing around in the tank. at lower than 1/4 tank, it's not uncommon for the level sensor to see little to no gas and trigger the low gas light. once back on level ground, the gas returns to a proper rest state and the level sensor reports a more accurate reading.

putting in 15L to make a half tank isn't weird when you consider that the light usually goes on when there's ~10L remaining and adding 15L would bring it to ~25L or close to half a tank.

in the ms3, always start a lapping day with a full tank and bring at least a 20-25L gas can, if necessary, to make it home.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    consider that, when you're tossing the car around the track, the fuel is sloshing around in the tank. at lower than 1/4 tank, it's not uncommon for the level sensor to see little to no gas and trigger the low gas light. once back on level ground, the gas returns to a proper rest state and the level sensor reports a more accurate reading.

putting in 15L to make a half tank isn't weird when you consider that the light usually goes on when there's ~10L remaining and adding 15L would bring it to ~25L or close to half a tank.

in the ms3, always start a lapping day with a full tank and bring at least a 20-25L gas can, if necessary, to make it home.
    Yeah I thought it might have been an issue with the fuel sloshing around, but after I did a cooldown lap and idled for 3 mins or so it still didn't come back. Trip computer was at zero, gauge was pegged on empty. Maybe the fuel sensor doesn't update that frequently though and was just confused. OR, maybe I did use all the gas. But if I did, then filling up with 15L and being at half a tank would be very strange.

Anyhow... lesson learned.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What track were you at?
    Want to work on your car but not sure how, send me a PM. Learn the way of Nator.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

St. Eustache Autodrome (in quebec). I actually work right beside a different track (Circuit ICar) but lapping there is too expensive

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And that is why you always bring a jerry can of gas to the track. Just in case.
    VG | MAZDASPEED | RACING HART | SIMOTA | EIBACH | DUNLOP | SOK07 | RACING BEAT | HAWK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For those of you doing multiple track days, how often are you guys doing a complete brake fluid flush?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mickey_g View Post
    For those of you doing multiple track days, how often are you guys doing a complete brake fluid flush?
    For the casual lapper, I would change brake fluid once a year and depending on how much you drive, you may be able to get by with regular intervals. This is assuming you are not pushing the car to the point of boiling your brakes [fluid] or competing for time.

When I was lapping and competing regularly, I'd bleed the brakes and top up when it's needed and it may be every single event. I also changed brake fluids at least twice a yr.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Fobio For This Useful Post:

mickey_g (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Track days mean different things to different people, so you should clarify.
    For me, its a 20 minute session on my way home from work
    I've gone a year and a half since my last flush and my brakes are still doing very well at the track.

If you're going for a full day of racing where you don't want to get there and find out your brakes are no good, then you may want to err on the conservative side and do it once a year max like Fobio suggested.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cab0oze For This Useful Post:

mickey_g (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you can also tell by the colour of the fluid if it changes/ goes dirty (motul rbf660 brand new looks yellowish, then turns to a light coffee brown colour after alot of hard use). use better quality brake fluid with a higher boiling point if ur gonna push the car to the limit on a time-attack day imo.
    Last edited by Kiyomi; 08-18-2014 at 09:43 PM.
    "There is no path to happiness: Happiness is the path " ~Buddha

"And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." - Ayrton Senna

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man: true nobility is being superior to your former self" -Ernest Hemingway

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kiyomi For This Useful Post:

mickey_g (08-18-2014)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply guys...yeah sorry should've clarified. I was curious more about time-attack setting rather than just parade laps. Will be replacing my brakes on all 4 corners soon along with fluid...looking at Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. Also those of you running stainless steel lines...any issues with them rusting?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    116 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply guys...yeah sorry should've clarified. I was curious more about time-attack setting rather than just parade laps. Will be replacing my brakes on all 4 corners soon along with fluid...looking at Motul RBF600 or Castrol SRF. Also those of you running stainless steel lines...any issues with them rusting?
    never. running the goodrich ones, had em on for 4 yrs and no problems. the cs lines could be good since they have the extra plastic coating on them. which track u plan on going to or which event?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah those are the ones I was looking at good to know they don't rust...I was really hoping to do some this year but life got in the way. I will hopefully try Sigma and CASC events next year along with more auto x

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

a good socket set is invaluable at the track for unexpected repairs.

I have the older version of this one currently on sale at CT and it has aided in the following at the track:

* hpfp fuel hardline R&R
    * ETS TMIC removal for coupler fix
    * brake bleeding
    to name a few.

a socket set and a set of wrenches (currently on sale) and you should be good to tackle most issues.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MajesticBlueNTO For This Useful Post:

mickey_g (08-24-2014),optiklenz13 (03-24-2015)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123