Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Track Prep Thread

Mazda 3 / Mazdaspeed 3:

Things to do to your car before Track
    • Check Fluid levels (Engine, Transmission, Brake, Steering, windshield wiper, coolant)
      Brake Fluid FAQ: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=19508
    • Make sure Engine/Transmission/Brake fluids are in fresh.
    • Inflate to your preference of Tire PSI (For noobs on RS/As 39 Front, 37 Rear, or 40/38)
    • Check Brake pads to see if you have enough material (OEM pads will do for beginners)
    • Make sure your tires are balanced
    • Rotors are in good working order
    • Wheel Nuts are torque correctly
    • Remove all unnecessary items (your spare tire and tire changing equipment is necessary)
    • Proper alignment
      List of places to do alignment: http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=25372
    • Remember to fill up (gasoline)
    • If you have ANY part of your car that is NOT road worthy, leave it at home

Things to do at Track
    • Check tire pressure, fluids after runs.
    • Do NOT engage the parking brake after runs

Things to Bring to Track
    • Some sort of tape (tape up your plates and any other area you want)
    • Bring a Jacket/Umbrella (depending on weather)
    • Water
    • Food (if not provided)
    • Bring extra engine oil (in case your car burns oil)

Things to do/watch out for after track
    • Reset your tire PSI back to street levels
    • Watch out for glazing brake pads (OEM pads WILL glaze) Glaze should be gone after a few days of regular driving
    • Check fluid levels. Depending on how fresh your fluids were before track, you may want to change them
    • Rotate tires if needed

Remember to do warm-up and cool-down lap(s)

Mazda 3 specific:

Mazdaspeed 3 specific:

Feel free to add to the list, I'll update the list as ppl post up things I missed
    Last edited by Fuman; 06-03-2008 at 09:22 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Track Prep Thread

sticky worthy?

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sticky!

more to come!
    Last edited by Fobio; 05-29-2008 at 05:23 PM.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Let the engine run for a few minutes after returning from your cool down lap to the paddock and make sure you pop your hood. I'm betting this is particularly important for an MS3 with a hot turbo and intercooler.

Do not pull the parking brake after the race. Let your brakes cool down.

Always arrive with a full tank of gas. The last thing you want is to have to leave and come back for fuel.

Inspect your tire pressures between runs. Racing can increase them drastically. Last year when I ran at Mission Raceway out here in the west, my front tire pressures went up about 8-10psi on their own. Granted, Mission is known to be hard on brakes and thus generate a lot of heat in the wheel wells.

After running, you'll likely want to swap your front and rear tires.
    Victor Chow (Elder_MMHS)
    2008 True Red Mazdaspeed3
    2006 Velocity Red Mazda3 GT - 20657km - It was fun.
    BCMazda3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

updated

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if i want to take my '06 to the track, and i've never switched engine/tranny/brake fluids, should i be? i'm not planning on serious racing; just lapping.
    There is a theory which states that a billion monkeys pounding on a billion keyboards will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.

Thanks to the Internet, we now know this theory is wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by whiteomega View Post
    if i want to take my '06 to the track, and i've never switched engine/tranny/brake fluids, should i be? i'm not planning on serious racing; just lapping.
    i'm not sure what you mean by switched

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuman View Post
    i'm not sure what you mean by switched
    i've never flushed/replaced any of the fluids. i'm kind of worried that if i go to the track now something bad might happen

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i've never flushed/replaced any of the fluids. i'm kind of worried that if i go to the track now something bad might happen
    you have never even replaced engine fluid?
    is your car used or new?
    when did you buy it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought it new; it's an 06 and has only 28000 km on it (i don't drive it much). I've changed the oil but that's it. No steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil (manual), etc. if i don't need to change those (aside from the engine oil) before track day, then i'm fine

Edit: i've basically done all the required owner maintenance i need to given the mileage on the car and the age of the car; but what i'm trying to find out is if i need to do more (complete service basically) before i go to the track. i'm already planning on changing the oil, rotating the tyres, inspecting the brakes and fluid levels before i get there. what else is necessary?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i bought it new; it's an 06 and has only 28000 km on it (i don't drive it much). I've changed the oil but that's it. No steering fluid, brake fluid, coolant, transmission oil (manual), etc. if i don't need to change those (aside from the engine oil) before track day, then i'm fine

Edit: i've basically done all the required owner maintenance i need to given the mileage on the car and the age of the car; but what i'm trying to find out is if i need to do more (complete service basically) before i go to the track. i'm already planning on changing the oil, rotating the tyres, inspecting the brakes and fluid levels before i get there. what else is necessary?
    in that case, I'd say you're good. ensuring your car is in good running order is the bare minimum, as once you are accustomed to track condition, you'll likely start to push the limits of your car...and so in the long run, you want your fluids to be able to keep up...

I have upgraded my brake fluid to non-silicone synthetic high temp and running Mobil 1 engine oil, and those are all the fluids I'll likely need to upgrade.
    Last edited by Fobio; 06-05-2008 at 11:49 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm unsure as how you have driven your car. I would check with your mechanic to see if you need your brakes to be bled or flushed. I would also check to see if your transmission fluid is in good working order. (a rule of thumb is, transmission dipstick reads full, fluid is red and no burning smell. Ask your mechanic to make sure your transmission fluid is good to go.).

If your engine oil is ALMOST due, change it before going to the track as well. If it is relatively new, I would change it soon after the track day (if you are on dino juice)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Erring on the side of caution and safety for a track day, I have been taught/instructed to always flush brake fluid and use something with a high boiling point (Motul RBF600 or ATE Super Blue come to mind). Dry boiling point is important if you swap fluid frequently, otherwise wet boiling point is more important for longevity. Also, give your car a relatively recent oil change - i.e. within the last couple thousand kilometres.

Performance summer tires are always good not so much for traction, but so that they don't overheat and get slick. Same goes for getting uprated brake pads like Hawk HP+. The Mazda3 has big brakes for a car its size and power output.

Heat management seems to be pretty important on the track. I've only been out twice but I've been told enough stories about drivers having to baby brakes in afternoon sessions because their braking system has been overworked/underprepared. You don't necessarily want to stop sooner or grip harder if you're just out there for entertainment, but you do want the car to have the endurance to last the entire day.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know if this is applicable, but i'll throw it out there. From my experience with track days (for bikes), in addition to taping up plates, we tape up the headlights as well. So if in the event of a crash, there aren't a million little plastic shards on the road. Make sure you take out the fuse or have your headlights off because it will melt the tape onto the lens and a pain to scrape off after.

We were always recommended to tape up the speedo as well, but i guess that's optional.

-----------------
    THEN 2005 Mazda3 GT/GFX - 5MT - Stubby - Work XD-9 - Sumitomo HTR Z III - Rays Lug Nuts - Eibach Prokit - TWM STS - RX8 Knob - Leather Shift Boot - Borla Cat Back - 35% Tints - Progress Rear Sway - Philips D2S 4300K - Vibrant Strut Bar - BuddyClub Condenser - SPC Camber Kit - Fujita F5 CAI - StreetUnit Motor Mount - Mazdaspeed Clutch - Rotora Slotted Rotors - Hawk HPS - Indy Fog Mod - Koni Yellow - PSI Tuned - Straight Pipe
    NOW 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD Black Mica

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why do you tape up/remove your plates for the track?

also, being my first track day, i won't be pushing hard on the track; just going to lap and get consistent results before i try and go faster. in that case, i should be ok not flushing the brake fluid and replacing with something better, especially if i only do 3-4 laps then cool off, right?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^

chk out my pics...I love my plates, so I wouldn't want unnecessary bug splatters all over them...

if this is your first time out and you're committed to preserving your car (ie. brake early, easy on the tires going in and out of corners, etc.) then your stock fluids can definitely handle 3 - 4 laps...10 - 12 laps in the hot will overwork your brakes if you're trying to beat the lap record...

I've upgraded my brake fluid to ELF Frelub 650. And for its price, its spec are right up there. As well, I'm committed to regular ffluid changes and will likely change all my fluids once a year anyway. If after your first time out, you think that you'll be doing this more and pushing your own envelope, then yes, upgrade your brakes (ss brake lines, fluid, pads).

OEM coolant is good, but if others know better pls correct me. I'm currently thinking about changing the transmission fluid.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    ^^
    OEM coolant is good, but if others know better pls correct me. I'm currently thinking about changing the transmission fluid.
    you should get an engine oil temp gauge for your car, if you are going to track a lot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

also, being my first track day, i won't be pushing hard on the track; just going to lap and get consistent results before i try and go faster. in that case, i should be ok not flushing the brake fluid and replacing with something better, especially if i only do 3-4 laps then cool off, right?
    That really depends on the track and how hard you drive. You always want excess heat capacity. You can always try to run with stock brakes and fluid and that's your choice. There's no way I'd do or recommend it myself, though. I personally think it's unsafe and ultimately, it won't be fun. My motorsport club wouldn't pass your car on the tech inspection without at least a flush on higher capacity fluid. Why take the chance? Something decent like ATE Super Blue is $15 a litre. Labour to get it done is probably around $50. A litre will get you a full fluid replacement - not just a flush.

You'll also want to research how the sessions of your track day will be run. The couple days I've attended have all been 20 - 25 minute sessions, which at my local track consisted of at least 15 laps if you're on full time. No one pits unless you have a problem because you want to maximize your time on the track.

In short, if you don't want to upgrade your braking system, then you better know your car's limits, be extremely disciplined about your driving effort in both acceleration and braking, know the passing zones of the track and also how to do point-by passes for people who are going to be lapping faster.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know the limits of my car in street driving, and despite having not been to the track yet, i would assume they are different on the track. part of going to the track is finding the limits; that means for the first few track days i do participate in, i'm going to be exploring the limits, but trying quite hard to stay well below them until i'm comfortable. for the first day, i'll try and manage with the standard brake fluid, because like i said, i'm not going to deliberately try and push the limits. it doesn't make sense to do so until i'm comfortable with the car. at that point, i'll change fluids. (i may have to after the day anyway)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i know the limits of my car in street driving, and despite having not been to the track yet, i would assume they are different on the track. part of going to the track is finding the limits; that means for the first few track days i do participate in, i'm going to be exploring the limits, but trying quite hard to stay well below them until i'm comfortable. for the first day, i'll try and manage with the standard brake fluid, because like i said, i'm not going to deliberately try and push the limits. it doesn't make sense to do so until i'm comfortable with the car. at that point, i'll change fluids. (i may have to after the day anyway)
    I recommend putting in fresh brake fluid before every lapping day. You will be alarmed how easy it is to cook the brakes in most modern cars. Solosprint regulations require that brake fluid be no older than 6 months.

No offense, but if you've never been to the track you do NOT know what the limits of a car are (street or otherwise). The first thing you realize in competition is just how bad you really were before going to a track.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    I recommend putting in fresh brake fluid before every lapping day. You will be alarmed how easy it is to cook the brakes in most modern cars. Solosprint regulations require that brake fluid be no older than 6 months.
    Thanks; I'll do that the next time I go. As for the regulations..see below

Quote Originally Posted by Marsh View Post
    No offense, but if you've never been to the track you do NOT know what the limits of a car are (street or otherwise). The first thing you realize in competition is just how bad you really were before going to a track.
    I guess I wasn't totally clear; I know the limits of my car as they pertain to street driving (ie: running errands, commuting, etc). For example: I know what kind of gap I need to make a left-hand turn, both in the dry, and in the wet. To me, this is not the same as racing limits, street or otherwise (and street racing is something I will never attempt, for all the obvious reasons).

My intention is not to compete in motorsports; it never has been. For me, going to the track is a way to have fun and explore the racing limits of my car in a safe, controlled way. How good or bad I am is irrelevant to me right now; I just want to have fun
    Last edited by whiteomega; 06-15-2008 at 10:12 PM. Reason: Edited for clarity

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd like to add:

Wash your car, if you can, before going out on a track. It encourages you to inspect your vehicle closely....and also make for nicer pictures.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elder_MMHS View Post
    Always arrive with a full tank of gas. The last thing you want is to have to leave and come back for fuel.
    Just try and get a full day at the track on a tank of gas with the MS3. I average somewhere between 70 & 100km before the fuel light is screaming at me!! Bring a jerry can of gas at the minimum

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just curious but why is it bad to engage the parking brake after a run?
    2008.5|Mazda3|Sport|GX|Galaxy Grey
    TINTS 32% ATWA | PARTPLAZA EYELIDS | CP-E TOW PLATE | SPEED3 REAR VALENCE | SPEED3 OEM SPOILER | INTERIOR LEDs | TM3 PLATE COVERS | SMOKED LED SIDE MARKERS | APEXCONE 35W 5000K LOWS | 6000K LED FOGS | SPEED3 REAR SWAY | GEN1 SPEED3 18's POTENZA WRAPPED
    MODS WANTED: EXHAUST | LIP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by EastYork3 View Post
    Just curious but why is it bad to engage the parking brake after a run?
    it may stick

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast