Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues; information here!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Mazda3 owners with corrosion issues, join us here!

Hey GODS SON, those are my favorite JORDANS!!!

Getting a rust spot on my rear door pillar ... is that covered under warranty? I'm at 82,000km right now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aylkoo View Post
    Hey GODS SON, those are my favorite JORDANS!!!

Getting a rust spot on my rear door pillar ... is that covered under warranty? I'm at 82,000km right now.
    Not Gods son but I don't think so...
    ask the dealer and see what they say

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazda lover View Post
    If I was thinking of buying M3 and did my homework by searching for foums to get an insight of what owners are having problems with their cars I don't think I would have the M3 on my list...the defect list just keeps getting longer. In the next 12 to 18 months I will be giving up my car but in the mean time I will search forums for the car(s) I am interested in and for sure it will be a model thats at least in its third year, no 1-2 anymore for me...
    and it won't be a Mazda
    +1 I went against alot of advice not to buy a brand new model, but heard so many good things about the Mazda3 (and fell in love at first sight) so I went ahead anyways. BIG mistake! To be fair, I think that all manufacturers have issues with first generation models. I agree that by the 2nd generation (coming out soon, so I hear), most major issues should be worked out. So far all entries I've received are 2004-2005 so by 2006 (i.e. 3rd model year of the first generation Mazda3) they seem to have worked it out. Well either that or THEIR rust will only show up in a year or two...

Whether or not I get another Mazda will be purely dependent upon how they treat my case. So far I'm definitely not impressed with the "oh, you have high mileage so it's all due to rock chips" stance at my dealership. If, in the end, I do get my repair cost covered by Mazda Canada, that will go a long way in improving my overall impression of the brand...
    Last edited by ZoomZoom Girl; 06-10-2008 at 09:22 AM.
    Sept 24/08 - Traded in 2004 Mazda3 Sport GT auto (Winning Blue) for 2009 Honda Fit Sport auto (Orange Revolution) due to paint/rust issue and sub-par dealership experience

Thanks
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If I found this thread I wouldn't have my 3 either. I searched a lot regarding corrosion too. As I mentioned somewhere before thats the reason I did not get a protege 5.

I wonder if its only 2004/05 models affected because they are the oldest? Or if they changed the paint/panel treatment.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuel90 View Post
    Name: Mark Armstrong
    City/province: Kitchener Ontario
    Year of car: 2004
    Model: 3 gs
    Color: Tit grey
    Current Mileage: 126000 (initially appeared aroudn 80K or so)
    Corrosion damage: the spot between rear bumper + rear fender both sides. As well as the spot between front bumper + fender both sides. Also the entire wheel well. Inner door seams are now begining to rust as well as door jamb from inside out. Dealer warrantied the rear 1/4 panels and fixed it for me probably 4 times now... there is no stopping it though!
    Is your car a sedan or sport model? Thanks...

Yeah, I'm seriously reconsidering my approach to getting my rust fixed after reading entries over at Mazda Quebec. General concensus is that the rust comes back with a vengence unless entire doors/panels are replaced! I'm starting to think that the best approach is to get the problem fixed within the 5 year warranty then trade in the vehicle fast, before the problem recurs!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_The_BMXER View Post
    If I found this thread I wouldn't have my 3 either. I searched a lot regarding corrosion too. As I mentioned somewhere before thats the reason I did not get a protege 5.

I wonder if its only 2004/05 models affected because they are the oldest? Or if they changed the paint/panel treatment.
    Exactly what I'm wondering. The lower trim on my rear doors started to rust pretty quick (just over 1 year, I'd estimate) but the rest started around 3 years after I had the car. Not to sound alarmist, but my belief from reading up on every Canadian Mazda3 forum I could find, it that ALL 2004 and at least early 2005s are affected. I also now believe that it is an issue with the sheet metal and that no fix, short of replacing entire sections/doors, will stop the rust from recurring. So, if my 2004 took 3 years to show major rust, the 2005s should also be starting and IF the later models are impacted, they won't show damage until next year.

For those later owners, I really do hope that Mazda Canada did treat their sheet metal with rustproofing. For the rest of us, I fear that our best approach is to get the paint fixed just before the 5 year warranty expires (provided Mazda Canada agrees to cover the cost that is) then trade in the cars. That rust is coming back with a vengence and we'll have to pay for any subsequent (very expensive) repairs....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Was shopping to day and when I returned to my car there was a M3 a few spots away from me. I decided to look the car over. It appeared to be a 2004 or 2005 sport and the colour was blue. I noticed on the passenger side a small rust spot between the rear bumper and fender seam also on the driver side wheel well lip there was rust an area about 6 inches long. Didn't spend too much time as I didn't want to appear I was up to no good...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name: Jim
    City/province: Markham, Ontario
    Model: Mazda3 GS Sedan
    Color: Titanium Grey
    Current Mileage: 90100 km
    Corrosion damage: rear wheel well - both side. the area where the bumper and the body meets

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/P6080002.jpg
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/P6080003.jpg
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/P6080004.jpg
    http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/m...8/P6080006.jpg

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom Girl View Post
    Is your car a sedan or sport model? Thanks...

Yeah, I'm seriously reconsidering my approach to getting my rust fixed after reading entries over at Mazda Quebec. General concensus is that the rust comes back with a vengence unless entire doors/panels are replaced! I'm starting to think that the best approach is to get the problem fixed within the 5 year warranty then trade in the vehicle fast, before the problem recurs!
    hi there,

it's roge from mazda3quebec. Yes the rust will come back for sure. After many inquiries at various dealers and paint shop, the unofficial reason for the rust is that Mazda and basically any Japanses manufacturers were forced to use a environmentally friendly paint by the Japanese gov't. This paint does not offer the same type of protection as the older paint. The Quebec Honda Civic club is also reporting tons of corrosion issues with mostly 2006 Civics.

Anyways that's the common excuse. Mazda dealers in Quebec seems to be very willing to fix any corrosion issues, but only before the 5 yr warranty expires.

Eibach Pro-Kit|Enkei RPM2 wheels|AWR motormount|K&N CAI|Buddy Club Condenser|Vibrant Strut-Bar|Racing Beat Catback|Eibach Camber kit|Eibach Anti-Roll kit|TWM SSK|Prolumen HID|Premier HU|Alpine Type-R|Infinity Kappa|Kenwood amp|Bazooka|Compustar Alarm|Greddy weighted knob|Redlinegoods boot|Sharkfin|JDM Rainguards|GV lip|

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roge View Post
    hi there,

it's roge from mazda3quebec. Yes the rust will come back for sure. After many inquiries at various dealers and paint shop, the unofficial reason for the rust is that Mazda and basically any Japanses manufacturers were forced to use a environmentally friendly paint by the Japanese gov't. This paint does not offer the same type of protection as the older paint. The Quebec Honda Civic club is also reporting tons of corrosion issues with mostly 2006 Civics.

Anyways that's the common excuse. Mazda dealers in Quebec seems to be very willing to fix any corrosion issues, but only before the 5 yr warranty expires.
    I used to work for BASF and while there I remember them working on what is called Water-Bourne Base Auto Paint to replace the oil base type,
    here is an article about it
    http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=modern_paint

no mention of rust so I think the excuse about the Japanese gov't just doesn't cut it, it may be true but the paint might not be the problem. These water-bourne base paints have been around for over 20 years. The domestic use it and I don't hear or see a rust problem after 3 or 4 years on their cars..But I could be wrong
    Also saying the only way to cure rust is by cutting out the panel or replacing it is not necessary, here is a product that I think auto body shops should use or something similar. its called POR-15
    http://www.por15.com/
    I belong to vintage car clubs (avatar) and many who restore use this product. Bottom line with our cars its what is underneath the paint that is the problem, metal not properly prepared, cleaned, primed etc.
    GM had a problem with their certain coloured paint peeling(late 1980s) and you know why, the primer was the problem.
    So keep bringing on the excuses Mazda or tell the truth
    Maybe someone can find out who supplies Mazda with their paint.
    The Civic is made here in Canada so I think the paint is manufactured,( N.A.) and supplied locally.
    Some info about BASF
    http://www.basf.com/basf-canada/ecx_overview_e.shtm
    Last edited by mazda lover; 06-09-2008 at 11:19 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I used to work for BASF and while there I remember them working on what is called Water-Bourne Base Auto Paint to replace the oil base type,
    here is an article about it
    http://www.goodspeedmotoring.com/?page=modern_paint

no mention of rust so I think the excuse about the Japanese gov't just doesn't cut it, it may be true but the paint might not be the problem. These water-bourne base paints have been around for over 20 years. The domestic use it and I don't hear or see a rust problem after 3 or 4 years on their cars..But I could be wrong
    Also saying the only way to cure rust is by cutting out the panel or replacing it is not necessary, here is a product that I think auto body shops should use or something similar. its called POR-15
    http://www.por15.com/
    I belong to vintage car clubs (avatar) and many who restore use this product. Bottom line with our cars its what is underneath the paint that is the problem, metal not properly prepared, cleaned, primed etc.
    GM had a problem with their certain coloured paint peeling(late 1980s) and you know why, the primer was the problem.
    So keep bringing on the excuses Mazda or tell the truth
    Maybe someone can find out who supplies Mazda with their paint.
    The Civic is made here in Canada so I think the paint is manufactured,( N.A.) and supplied locally.
    Some info about BASF
    http://www.basf.com/basf-canada/ecx_overview_e.shtm

Another mention of a product to treat the existing sheet metal to prevent future recurrence of corrosion! There may be hope after all. So, what would the shop do....sandblast away the existing rust, treat the underlying sheet metal with the compound you mention, then prime/paint/clear coat? I really have no idea but am curious....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another mention of a product to treat the existing sheet metal to prevent future recurrence of corrosion! There may be hope after all. So, what would the shop do....sandblast away the existing rust, treat the underlying sheet metal with the compound you mention, then prime/paint/clear coat? I really have no idea but am curious....
    I think the best approach would be to ask a very good large auto body repair shop how they would handle rust, but your process sounds about right.
    For those who have had the work repeated might have been other areas other than the area where the original work was done. New spots of rust...
    Fix one spot and a new one begins later. Example clean and treat the whole wheel well lip not just the affected area..

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think the best approach would be to ask a very good large auto body repair shop how they would handle rust, but your process sounds about right.
    For those who have had the work repeated might have been other areas other than the area where the original work was done. New spots of rust...
    Fix one spot and a new one begins later. Example clean and treat the whole wheel well lip not just the affected area..
    Well I went to the three largest body shops in Sudbury for quotes. All would refinish the entire panels/doors, which I found odd at first (remember, I'm a novice!) but which I now understand. They'd want to get all of the corrosion in the entire panel, not just what is visually apparent.

From what I read on other forums, people are having the exact same areas re-rust within short order. I don't know how the original repairs were done, just that alot of recurrence of rust is being reported. Perhaps the shops did not follow the more thorough procedure of doing entire sections, treating with anti-rust compound? I don't know. Maybe I should just get it done this year and hope for the best. You can be sure that I'll be grilling the shop before I agree to anything as to their exact procedure to ensure that some kind of anti-rust treatment is done before refinishing...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I went to the three largest body shops in Sudbury for quotes. All would refinish the entire panels/doors, which I found odd at first (remember, I'm a novice!) but which I now understand. They'd want to get all of the corrosion in the entire panel, not just what is visually apparent.

From what I read on other forums, people are having the exact same areas re-rust within short order. I don't know how the original repairs were done, just that alot of recurrence of rust is being reported. Perhaps the shops did not follow the more thorough procedure of doing entire sections, treating with anti-rust compound? I don't know. Maybe I should just get it done this year and hope for the best. You can be sure that I'll be grilling the shop before I agree to anything as to their exact procedure to ensure that some kind of anti-rust treatment is done before refinishing...

and hopfully they will do what they tell you they will do...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not listening, not listening......

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Not listening, not listening......
    sorry...lol didn't mean to depress you even more. I am bit of a pessimist, I have a trust no one attitude

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry...lol didn't mean to depress you even more. I am bit of a pessimist, I have a trust no one attitude
    Well, remember that this is my first car and I'm having a rocky road, thus far. Ignorance is bliss! I'll be more of a pessimist on my next car purchase, I promise!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by roge View Post
    hi there,

using environmently friendly paint is going in the right direction.
    If Mazda has been using the same paint since 2004 it is only a matter of time that the 2006 to 2008.5 will show rust, or is this just confined to the 2004-5?
    Time will tell so keep an eye on your car...

Ride
    car no longer mine
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

City/province: Mississauga/Toronto
    Model: Mazda 3 GS sedan
    Color: Titanium Grey (29Y)
    Current Mileage: 95,XXX
    Corrosion damage: rear wheel well lips, blistering rear driver side.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where is your car's paint blistering exactly?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: Hit the half-way mark in exactly 1 week! I want to send Mazda Canada a minimum of 50 names and just got entry #25, provided that two of my other entries send me their full names. Getting there so if anyone here is on the fence about participating, just do it! You have nothing to lose and (perhaps) everything to gain.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This rust issues being reported, are they only with the 1st generation Mz 3s? I have an 07 4Dr GT but got it rustproofed before driving it off the lot at time of purchase, so far no issues with rust.

I do however have a buddy with a 04 Mz 3 4Dr and he is having the same battle with Mazda Canada...

Can someone confirm if this only occurs with 2004 1st Generations as it would appear so based on these threads.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotta-KB View Post
    This rust issues being reported, are they only with the 1st generation Mz 3s? I have an 07 4Dr GT but got it rustproofed before driving it off the lot at time of purchase, so far no issues with rust.

I do however have a buddy with a 04 Mz 3 4Dr and he is having the same battle with Mazda Canada...

Can someone confirm if this only occurs with 2004 1st Generations as it would appear so based on these threads.
    the 3 is still in its 1st Generation. it just happens that Model Year 2004 was the first year of the 1st generation. the 2nd generation of the 3 isn't due until MY2010 (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

the fact that it is happening predominantly to 2004 models is because some of them are almost 5 years old (there were some built and sold in late 2003). only time will tell whether the 06 and 07 models are affected much the same as the 04/05 models.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotta-KB View Post

Well, ALL of the 2004-2008 Mazda3s are technically "first generation". A new generation is due next year (or so I believe). So far my list only includes 2004-2005 years. That doesn't necessarily mean that the more recent years are "safe", just that they aren't showing rust yet. Whether or not they will experience the same type of corrosion we really won't know until X number of years. All you can do is watch out for the problem areas and deal with any issues ASAP.
    Last edited by ZoomZoom Girl; 06-26-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    the 3 is still in its 1st Generation. it just happens that Model Year 2004 was the first year of the 1st generation. the 2nd generation of the 3 isn't due until MY2010 (someone correct me if i'm wrong).

the fact that it is happening predominantly to 2004 models is because some of them are almost 5 years old (there were some built and sold in late 2003). only time will tell whether the 06 and 07 models are affected much the same as the 04/05 models.
    Should have read your post before bothering to reply! What he says....

Page 3 of 37 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast