Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Details on Corrosion repairs (ZoomZoom Girl's car)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Update on ZoomZoom Girl's car corrosion

Here are the pictures taken by the body shop during the repair process. Sorry, no pics of the rust under my Mazda3 badge on the liftgate. Finding that meant completely refinishing the panel vs. the patch job they were going to do.

I got 3M applied to: inside bottom of all doors (part you step over), up about 1/4 on all doors, perimeter of all wheel wells, and inside rear wheel wells.

Total repair time was 9 days. I have to bring it back next week since they didn't properly remove the foam stuff they put on the non-painted areas to protect them from overspray. The inside of my door jambs are rough/dull because of this so they have to clean and buff the areas. Also, my rear bumper isn't on properly (noticeable gap). Plus, when the removed my side sills, they used a bar or something that caused dents all along the tops. I'll get pictures this weekend. The body shop will try to patch these up so I'm willing to give that a shot to see how it turns out. Right now, with the rest of the car looking spectacular, it looks really awful! Something to watch out for if you're getting the lower trim of your rear doors repaired since they do have to remove the side sills for that job.

Last thing, my lights and cruise haven't been working right since I got the car back! No issues at all beforehand so I can only assume something happened during the job. Despite the light setting (auto, on, off), my lights will flicker on and off. I can't use my cruise when the lights are set to "on". If I'm cruising and play with the light switch (to get the lights to stay off), the cruise is disengaged. Of course when I brought the car to the body shop yesterday, the problem didn't come up during the test drive! Figures. Anyhow, it is doing this consistently now so I'll have them check the wiring next week when I bring the car in for the extra work.
    Sept 24/08 - Traded in 2004 Mazda3 Sport GT auto (Winning Blue) for 2009 Honda Fit Sport auto (Orange Revolution) due to paint/rust issue and sub-par dealership experience

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

great "in progress" pictures.
    got any finished product shots?
    and of course some more after you wax
    His: 2008.5 White Pearl Hatchback
    Hers: 2012 Black Mazda5 GT
    Sold: 2006 Grey Sport GT
    HUY-zel... It's pronounced "wee-zel"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

glad everything turned out okay

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm waiting until all the work has been done, so that pushes things to next week. Well, I'll have to take pictures this weekend since I want to get "before" shots of the side sill damage to forward to Mazda Canada. Might as well take some pictures of the nice paint job while I'm at it. I'll post here next week. Can't wax for another month but the finish now is spectacular! Very smooth and glossy all over so they must have buffed the entire car. No complaints there!

I'm going to give the body shop a chance to fix my side sills and see what I think before really starting to complain. I did let Mazda (my dealership and head guy of Customer Service at Mazda Canada) know that I'm not happy with the damage to my side sills. The manager of the body shop even said "oh, we caused those dents when we wrenched the sills off....??????" Surely there must be a way to remove those parts without causing so much damage. Can't wait to post those shots here to get your comments on how these look right now....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi ZoomZoomGirl!

Glad to hear you got your car back!! Congrats on perservering with your complaint and getting Mazda to take responsibility for what was clearly a manufacturing defect. I know this sounds sappy but you're definitely an inspiration to me. Sometimes it's really difficult to stand up to a corporation and get them to do what's right but you stood tall and didn't give up! Diplomacy and perseverance!!!! way to go!!

though I'm sorry to hear that you still have to follow up about the damage that was done to your side sills. Also the fact that your lights aren't working properly?! Maybe they didn't rewire them properly when they put them back after all the work was finished?

Anyway, congrats again on getting the car back and please keep us informed as to the progress with the rest of the issues!!

Have fun driving your ride again and keep on inspiring us LOL!!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah shucks. Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's been a very long haul on my own case (3 months+) but at least I'm almost there with all the repairs. The side sills and lights/cruise not working are attributable to the body shop's sloppy work so I can't fault Mazda on that one. Still, very discouraging after I finally thought that my case had come to an end.

The group case is far from over though the APA (Automobile Protection Agency) is now actively involved and is very much pursuing this investigation. Although the other 33 members of my group were promised to be contacted by their Regional Offices last week, not a single one has. Very frustrating!

At least now Mazda Canada has issued AWA (after warranty assistance) to cover the repairs to the rear quarter panels/wheel wells, rear bumper seams, and lower trim of rear doors. That only came about after so many complaints came in that they couldn't ignore the issue anymore. Hopefully the same will happen with the bubbling which is popping up more and more on the 2004-2006 Mazda3s. All in all, this is an ongoing process. In the end my purpose is to make the process easier for other Mazda3 owners dealing with similar paint/rust issues on their cars....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow good to hear how things turned out

I am having a little bubble form on my rear passenger wheel well.
    My car will be 4 years old/150,000km is it too late for any rust warranty claims? I also had rust proofing done with Mazda every year before winter

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any type of rustproofing covers ONLY perforation. Believe me, I've read all the fine print and asked tons of questions and all places state that perforation is a hole through both sides of the body panel (you can stick something in it). Any other type of rust, even bubbling, is classified as "surface rust" which IS covered under our 3 year warranty.

Note that Mazda Canada has unofficially stretched that out to 5 years via issuing after warranty assistance. Essentially, if you bring your 4 year old car in with any rust they will cover it, if you're very persistent! It really depends upon your dealership and how accomodating they will be but keep in mind that Mazda does have the funds set aside to cover these repairs. Keep at it and remember, diplomacy is key.

Last thing, having had that bubbling show up on my own car this Spring for the first time I can tell you that you need to get it fixed ASAP! It took me 3 months to get my repairs covered 100% by Mazda. In that time, it spread like crazy. Not to be too alarmist, but it's really not something you want to put off.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you!!!!
    I will get on it ASAPPPP

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You go girl! Um, but do be nice ok? It's hard sometimes, I know, but you have to make them want to help you....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh yeah for sure I hear ya
    I am always nice to the service techs and managers. I have a pretty good relationship with my dealership so I am hoping they help me. On a side note if they dont I guess you can just always write a letter to Mazda Canada.
    Thats what I had to do when I had to get my engine mount replaced and one dealership said I voided my warranty because I lowered my car and the engine mount broke because the car was lowered (LOL I know right....)

Anyways; wrote a nice letter to Mazda Canada and they told me everything was good to go (as far as getting the repairs covered under warranty). Fingers crossed

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My two group letters to Mazda Canada are what got the ball rolling. This also got the APA to back up so yes, the power of the pen is real! I waited 6 weeks with no word from my dealership on my claim, Mazda got my letter and bang, 2 days later they were calling me offering to cover my repairs. Amazing really but it goes to show that you have to keep at it and never accept "no" as the final answer. Many of my group members who had been told no coverage repeatedly finally did get their repairs done, so that's added incentive for the rest of you to keep at it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

AWESOME!!!

It would be great if other users posted their experiences with the corrosion issue like Lynne has graciously taken the time to do so. She's been a benefit to us all and the more we are informed of this situation, the better it is for all of us!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh gawd, ZoomZoom Girl. That's just horrible. I could almost cry seeing those pics of your 3 in the hospital.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Glad you got your car back, ZoomZoomGirl. Good job keeping on top of the dealership and Mazda Canada. Have you sent this story off to Phil Edmunston yet (LemonAid Guides)? He'll probably want to hear about your positive experiences, even though you had to work hard for it.
    There is a theory which states that a billion monkeys pounding on a billion keyboards will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.

Thanks to the Internet, we now know this theory is wrong.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Winning Blue is back!!! (post repair pics)

I dropped my car off at the body shop on Tuesday August 5th and got it back Friday August 15th. It is back in the shop today to get: rear bumper reinstalled (big gap), side sills fixed (gouged them during removal), rear door jambs cleaned/buffed, and reinstall the rear lights (not working right, going on/off intermittently, cruise doesn't work if lights on). Anyhow, thought you would like to see the end result (well, prior to today's touch ups that is)...

Unfortunately, the body shop did this to my side sills when they removed them:

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...267#post332267

See that thread for pics of my car after the repair job. Oh, I've been in very regular contact with the APA (Automobile Protection Agency which Phil Edmonston launched) about this. They in turn have launched an official investigation into this paint/rust issue and how customers with very similar complaints are being treated so differently. We're all over it! Hopefully this will mean that all the rest of you dealing with this problem get this repaired ASAP, without hassle by your dealerships or Mazda Canada!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Winning Blue is back!!! (post repair pics)

Good to hear you got your baby back! That's brutal about the sills... Are they going to do anything about it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congrats on getting your car back. It looks terrific!
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just got car back from body shop. Sigh. Yes, have to go back in for try #3. Word of advice. When you pick up your car after a paint repair, inspect every inch of the job! My fault really for not checking. They did a GREAT job on the side sills! Seriously, I'm very fussy and had my nose practically on them and I can't tell they were ever damaged. I really don't know how they managed to smooth them out but I do know that they removed them and painted. Anyhow, they look perfect now so I'm a happy camper on that point.

They also reinstalled the rear bumper so that's ok. They fixed ONE rear door jamb where the paint looked dull/rough. The problem is that they didn't check the other side so I'm back in for that. Just got back from picking the car up so I'll call the body shop ASAP to book yet another appointment. Took 10 days to get in today so I anticipate another long wait. For perspective, it took me 3 months from the date of my first complaint to get Mazda to pay for the initial paint repairs so this has been a LONG process!

All in all, minus this one last boo-boo, I am very happy with the paint repair. I've washed (no wax for 1 month) the car a couple of times now and it is perfect and blends in perfectly with the old paint. Couldn't imagine a better job really.

Other point is that apparently I need a new "brake switch". My lights and cruise just haven't been working right since I picked the car up from the body shop. If someone here from Mazda reads this, how much is that part and installation? Since I'll be trading in within 1 month, I'm not sure paying for a repair at this point is adviseable. I'll find out the cost then take things from there. At least I didn't have to pay a cent for the paint/rust repair, nor for the loaner car for the 10 days!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

looking good
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Those side sills did look really bad. Glad to hear you got it fixed up.
    The paint really does look quite nice.

Too bad you're planning on trading it in.
    Did you already say what is replacing it?

Ride
    Ralliart
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks great! Except rust will be back..

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by huyzel View Post
    Those side sills did look really bad. Glad to hear you got it fixed up.
    The paint really does look quite nice.

Too bad you're planning on trading it in.
    Did you already say what is replacing it?
    Hmmm....no. Down to 2 options. Let's just say I'm downsizing and leave it at that. Since this IS a Mazda3 forum, don't want to press my luck! I do want to say that I still think the Mazda3 is a great car and would highly recommend it. However, based upon other's experiences dealing with ever recurring rust and the patch job they did on my passenger side (just did where the existing rust was showing, not entire panels as promised), I've taken the hard decision to trade my car in while it's in such good condition. I really fully expect the rust to be back in very short order. Since it took me 3 months of constant effort to get this first repair done, I don't want to go through that again!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x_o_k_x View Post
    Looks great! Except rust will be back..
    I agree which is why I'm trading my car in next month. I'd do so now but one of the two options I'm looking at won't be released in Canada until mid September. Also, I have 1 more repair to get done to my passenger rear door jamb. They refinished the driver side, but not the other door. Have to wait until September 4th to get in for try #3! Still debating on getting the brake light switch replaced. Apparently it's $100 total (part and labour) so I'm not sure spending that much on a car I'm trading in is a wise choice. I could always just tell the new dealer when they assess my car's value and they take it off the price offered....

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast