Thread: Rear pads & rotors

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rear pads & rotors

I went to Avante to get my 05 mazda3 hatch serviced and they told me that my rear pads and rotors have less than 5% left on them (and have a lot of rust) and that my fronts are still okay. Is it normal for the rears to wear faster than the fronts?? I have 48,500 km on my car. They quoted me $460 for pads and rotors (rear only)...is that reasonable??

Also, is there a particular brand/type of pads & rotors I should be looking at. I've been looking at the stickies but I'd still like some opinions. Thx!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rear pads & rotors

Quote Originally Posted by steph View Post
    I went to Avante to get my 05 mazda3 hatch serviced and they told me that my rear pads and rotors have less than 5% left on them (and have a lot of rust) and that my fronts are still okay. Is it normal for the rears to wear faster than the fronts?? I have 48,500 km on my car. They quoted me $460 for pads and rotors (rear only)...is that reasonable??

Also, is there a particular brand/type of pads & rotors I should be looking at. I've been looking at the stickies but I'd still like some opinions. Thx!
    It seems to be a normal occurance on the 3's for the rear pads to wear sooner then the fronts ...But what you should be questioning is why they (the rear pads) are worn down to less than 5% at such low a mileage! You must have a problem there somewhere; either with the caliper(s) or possibly parking brake assembly....which are both still covered under warranty, (if you are under 3 years that is.)...You should discuss this 'problem' with the service advisor because less then 5% at 48k~is not normal wear.

If the dealer does not agree to replace the components under a warranty issue then I would suggest going with Magnum rotors and Hawk pads, they are cheaper then oem and IMO, better quality.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    It seems to be a normal occurance on the 3's for the rear pads to wear sooner then the fronts ...But what you should be questioning is why they (the rear pads) are worn down to less than 5% at such low a mileage! You must have a problem there somewhere; either with the caliper(s) or possibly parking brake assembly....which are both still covered under warranty, (if you are under 3 years that is.)...You should discuss this 'problem' with the service advisor because less then 5% at 48k~is not normal wear.

If the dealer does not agree to replace the components under a warranty issue then I would suggest going with Magnum rotors and Hawk pads, they are cheaper then oem and IMO, better quality.

_3
    I questioned the dealer the brakes have worn down so low already and why the rear wears quicker than the front and they said that it was normal. I think I'm going to talk to them again.

Would having subs in the trunk increase the rate of brake wear??
    Also, what is the average normal mileage that the brakes should be changed at?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I questioned the dealer the brakes have worn down so low already and why the rear wears quicker than the front and they said that it was normal. I think I'm going to talk to them again.

Would having subs in the trunk increase the rate of brake wear??
    Also, what is the average normal mileage that the brakes should be changed at?
    I have my Sub and amps in the back and I replaced my pads at around 72k and there was still life left in them, so I don't think the subs would affect it much, if at all.

I can't say whether 'my' brake life span is "average/normal", but I feel safe in saying your 48k is definitely too early....but the rear pads will (and this is from myself and other members) wear faster then the fronts~that is normal.

Did they show you the pads last time? Was there uneven wear in the pads ie; inside to outside pads or from left (driver side) to right (Passenger side)?...that would be a tale-tell sign that something was askew. I'd have them check your calipers and parking brake for any problems, because there is definitely something wrong...If they still give you the BS, take it somewhere else.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it were front brakes, then I'd say 50k is a reasonable amount of mileage to have to change them. I share your confusion about the rear brakes though. There's no reason for the rear brakes to wear faster than the front, but it seems to be a regular occurrance with the 3. I suspect it may have a little more brake bias toward the rear than one would expect, and the size difference means they wear out quicker.

Most of the braking power comes from the front, so logic dictates that those should wear out first, but there's also more meat up there to last longer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just changed all 4 pads (and front rotors) at 74k and my rear pads had probably 80% left still while my fronts had around 5%...so i don't encounter the same problem that is apparently "normal".....

My rear pads are still wearing off the break-in coating that EBC pads have while my fronts have been fine for weeks now...so it seems i have the exact opposite scenario as other people
    '06-3iTE-5Spd
    TWM|EBC|Prolumen|Simota|Progress|Fast

20%-Tint|Broken-Fogs|Indy-Fogs|Moldingless|Stubby

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have my Sub and amps in the back and I replaced my pads at around 72k and there was still life left in them, so I don't think the subs would affect it much, if at all.

I can't say whether 'my' brake life span is "average/normal", but I feel safe in saying your 48k is definitely too early....but the rear pads will (and this is from myself and other members) wear faster then the fronts~that is normal.

Did they show you the pads last time? Was there uneven wear in the pads ie; inside to outside pads or from left (driver side) to right (Passenger side)?...that would be a tale-tell sign that something was askew. I'd have them check your calipers and parking brake for any problems, because there is definitely something wrong...If they still give you the BS, take it somewhere else.

_3

They didn't show me anything, but it was written on my inspection sheet that I have .2 mm left on one side and .3 mm left in the other in the rear. I think I have 3 mm left on both sides in the front (I'm at work & don't have the sheet with me). So, I guess that means that there is uneven wear in the back but they didn't say anything to me.

I've been looking at Wagner ultra quiet pads... are they any good??

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 06Touring3 View Post
    I just changed all 4 pads (and front rotors) at 74k and my rear pads had probably 80% left still while my fronts had around 5%...so i don't encounter the same problem that is apparently "normal".....

My rear pads are still wearing off the break-in coating that EBC pads have while my fronts have been fine for weeks now...so it seems i have the exact opposite scenario as other people
    Wow, that's weird that its totally opposite for our cars.
    Where did you get your brakes done and what kind did you get? If you don't mind me asking....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend did my brakes he's a mechanic....and I have EBC front rotors and EBC greenstuff pads all around

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just purchased Magnum X-Drilled Rotors mainly because they were one of the cheapest I could find. Cheaper than dealer or OEM's at other stores.
    It cost me $130 for all four.

My Hawk HPS pads just came in the other day so just a few more days til rotors arrive.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure your parking brake is releasing properly.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    Make sure your parking brake is releasing properly.
    I told my dad's mechanic about it and he's going to take a look at the parking break for me.

Is anybody using Raybestos brake pads and/or rotors??
    That's what I'm probably going to end up getting seeing how that's what my dad's mechanic uses and he's going to be working on my car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I told my dad's mechanic about it and he's going to take a look at the parking break for me.

Is anybody using Raybestos brake pads and/or rotors??
    That's what I'm probably going to end up getting seeing how that's what my dad's mechanic uses and he's going to be working on my car.
    Get a price on them first and then compare with what you can get thru here; for instance you can get Hawk HPS all around for about $180 taxs in....and Raybestos do not compare in quality....IMO.

_3

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Get a price on them first and then compare with what you can get thru here; for instance you can get Hawk HPS all around for about $180 taxs in....and Raybestos do not compare in quality....IMO.

_3
    He quoted me $386 for parts and labour ($150 for labour). I think the pads are around $76 for the pair and $115 for the rotors. Who would I get the Hawk pads from through here??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He quoted me $386 for parts and labour ($150 for labour). I think the pads are around $76 for the pair and $115 for the rotors. Who would I get the Hawk pads from through here??
    $150 is too much for labour. Changing the pads takes less than 1/2 hour.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I ended up buying Hawk HPS front and rear pads from Gary @ bigbrakparts.net. It cost me $177 (including $30 shipping).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB View Post
    $150 is too much for labour. Changing the pads takes less than 1/2 hour.
    I talked to Jimmy @ StreetPerformance recently. He claims he can do for 1/3 of that price.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a difference between just changing pads/ rotors with changing pads/rotors PLUS servicing the brakes. The ongoing rate for changing 4rotors/4pads with servicing the calipers should go for about $130-$140 while some mechanics are willing to change just front and rear pads for $50.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well... just to be fair, some garages have more overheads than others, and so they have to charge more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that is totally odd that the rears went faster then the fronts, I personally have never heard or seen that before. Either way for that price Id get complete set of slotted/drilled roters and pads and do the install your self.
    07 Mazda 3 GT Sport 5spd , Carbon Grey Mica, 35% tint, stubby, black Calipers, Tinted side indicators, Tinted Rear Reflectors.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same with my rears @ 92k i just replaced all 4 pads and rotors...
    Kristian aka Cozwell
    Twitter: www.twitter.com/kristianward
    Blog: www.kristianward.com (Now Live)
    My Company: www.wardnco.com - Small Business Marketing Agency
    Linkedin: http://ca.linkedin.com/in/kristianward
    My Radio Station: Jbradio.fm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by karsia323 View Post
    There is a difference between just changing pads/ rotors with changing pads/rotors PLUS servicing the brakes. The ongoing rate for changing 4rotors/4pads with servicing the calipers should go for about $130-$140 while some mechanics are willing to change just front and rear pads for $50.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but "servicing" the brakes doesn't generally include bleeding them, right?

If that's the case... then what do you think they're doing other than blowing off dust and putting some lube on the sliders?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but "servicing" the brakes doesn't generally include bleeding them, right?

If that's the case... then what do you think they're doing other than blowing off dust and putting some lube on the sliders?
    Dismantaling the sliders, cleaning off rust, filing down any uneaven wear that may hang up the pads and cause them to jam, lubricating everything... He is right, there is a BIG difference in a $50 job and a $150 job.
    - Geoff -

2008.5 Metro Grey GT 5 spd w/LP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ Your right, for $150 you think they do the job properly but just switch the pads and bleed them and then give you your car back. They are there to make money, thats it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's why you go to a trusted mechanic. I go to the shop I used to work at because I know the owner well and trust his workmanship. With my old car, I had to get my rear brakes serviced at least once a year or they would seize and it would be about $120 for them.

Oh, and Wild Weasel, I forgot to specify... No, a brake service does not include bleeding of the lines. It is just a servicing of the hardware (calipers, bracets, sliders, auto adjusters). They only bleed the lines if they open the lines somewhere, exposing the system to air. That or they do a brake fluid change, which is a seperate service.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast