Thread: Falken ZE912 225/40/18

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Falken ZE912 225/40/18

It hasn't even been a week, and I just love these tires.

My props to Allen at SimplyTire for the installation. These tires were my number one choice when I bought the RX-8 rims. Although Fuzion ZRI and Dunlop Direzzas both crossed my mind. It came down to price and brand loyalty in the end.

Fuzions will run 750+ and Dunlops 900-1000. I was running Falken 512s on my 17''s and had no complaints. The tread pattern is what attracts me to Falkens.

Name: Falken ZE912
    Specs: 225/40/18
    Life: 60,000KM
    Selling points: Ultra sticky in wet and dry, resulting in nice traction any time. VERY quiet.
    Price: $610 (Taxes and Installation included). This will be roughly the going price at any given place. I was able to get it for 600 at my usual place, but they didn't have any in stock until the week after, and I had to get my 17s'' off the very next day to sell. Plus, I had planned to meet Allen sooner or later and 10 bux is not a big deal for fantastic service.

Looks

40s are pretty thin in my books. I bought the rims with 225/45/18, and even the 5mm difference really made the rims look a lot bigger. The tread pattern as I mentioned above, is definitely an eye catcher. Looks super sporty and really takes any trace of the family sedan look right out of car.

Noise

The noise level is what makes me enjoy these tires so much. Letting the gas go or going down hill you literally can't hear a single thing in your cabin.

It feels like the car is gliding across the street. Comparing to the Falken 512s I had, the noise level decreased significantly. I always found the whirring sound of the tires rather distracting and these tires totally eliminated it.

Traction

Ultra sticky best describes it. I notice better grip coming off red lights and full stops. At high speeds, it really puts the car on the ground. I feel a lot safer running these tires.

Ride Quality

A lot more softer. After putting the prokits in, and noticing a stiffer ride; it feels a lot more close to stock now. It doesn't feel like I've lowered the car at all. Over all a much more comfortable ride.

Conclusion

Fantastic tires for anyone who is wanting to run 18''s. I know a lot of members already have these set of tires and will vouch for them.
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 08-12-2008 at 03:58 PM.
    Mazda 3 2007 GX Sedan/Carbon Grey Mica | Falken 912 225/40/18 | RX-8 rims | AEM | Shark Fin |35% Tints| Eyelids | Red Calipers | Open mouth grille | Magnaflow cat-back exhaust | Eibach Pro-Kits | Apexcone HIDs 6000K |

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Falken ZE912 225/40/18

nice review.

you had a pair of these before and it lasted 60000km????

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nah, never used them before. That's what they're rated for.

512s are for 40,000KMs.

I don't track these, and will only use in the summer. 4-5 months a year max.

Quote Originally Posted by silvermist99 View Post
    nice review.

you had a pair of these before and it lasted 60000km????

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks. This helps cause I'll be getting these sooner or later

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wonder how these compare to the General Exclaims, I'm in the market for new UHPs and the prices are what are making me look around. I'm just not a fan of the 912 tread pattern
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crazycanuck View Post
    Nah, never used them before. That's what they're rated for.

512s are for 40,000KMs.

I don't track these, and will only use in the summer. 4-5 months a year max.
    I had 512 before they lasted maybe 30000km max with one autox day (40 seconds harsh on the car times 6.. its nothing). I didn't think the thread life was good on 512 and I don't turn or stop super aggressive on streets.

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 3GFX View Post
    I wonder how these compare to the General Exclaims, I'm in the market for new UHPs and the prices are what are making me look around. I'm just not a fan of the 912 tread pattern
    I have had both. I went for the Falkens this year to try them. I find the sidewalls stiffer, and the tires quieter and maybe a lil nicer in the wet.

If you can get them cheaper than the Generals, do it I dont regret it for a second (and I liked the Generals a lot!)

-John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if springing an extra $100 or so will get me into some Kumhos or 452s.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm wondering if springing an extra $100 or so will get me into some Kumhos or 452s.
    i've got 452's...for 15,000km on them so far and there is no major tread wear
    Falken FK-452 | 225-45R18 | Konig Hotswap |35% Tints| Greddy TT| Cobb Sri| Cobb Shifter| Cobb AP Stage 2| BC Coilovers | Cobb Shifter Weight| Cobb Inlet Pipe |TS BOV |Dashhawk| COBB FMIC |CPE MM|CPE TBE| NRG ETD|
    STILL TO COME: |Whatever I can get my hands on before she kills me|
    2003 Blue Yamaha R6
    Pazzo shorty levers|Hindle exhaust|flush mount turn signals|Fender eliminator|Smoked windscreen|8000k HID

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You will be surprised how fast the ZE912 wears out and they are not that great in the winter. Apart from that, they are great dry and wet tires.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

see if Allen has anything if you haven't tried already.

I never run these tires in the winter, although it is tempting to see how they perform in snow.

Quote Originally Posted by karsia323 View Post
    You will be surprised how fast the ZE912 wears out and they are not that great in the winter. Apart from that, they are great dry and wet tires.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Make sure to check your tire pressure on a regular basic. I'm also running Falken 912 on my RX8's & had to buy yet another tire from Allan as the inner sidewall belts broke after I had lost tire pressure, were talking maybe 4-5 psi. given I a nail in my tire but, the tires were only a few months old.

2008 Hatch GT Pearl White

Upgrades:
    Eibach Prokit Springs, Blackout Emblems, SRI Intake, RX8 rims (Powdercoated), 35% Tints, CX-7 antenna, All lights changed to LED, In dash Sirius Radio, Hella Horn, Mazdaspeed Sway Bars, Front & Back,
    what else. hmm.

Member of the BOD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the recommended tire pressure for these?

I was running 38psi for all four wheels on 512s.

Quote Originally Posted by sicsol View Post
    Make sure to check your tire pressure on a regular basic. I'm also running Falken 912 on my RX8's & had to buy yet another tire from Allan as the inner sidewall belts broke after I had lost tire pressure, were talking maybe 4-5 psi. given I a nail in my tire but, the tires were only a few months old.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm running 225/45R17 ZE912s. I asked Allen when I had them put on, and he suggested I start with 34 psi and adjust down from there a pound or so at a time until I was satisfied with the result.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Sponsor
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Allways put in what your vehicle door says... I think on the door of a Mazda 3, it says 33psi? I allways ask the customer to start at 34psi, and work their way down 1psi at a time to find their sweet spot...

Although the 912's don't look as nice as most directional tires, their positive points outweigh their looks severely.... having an asymetric tire allows you to rotate anyway you wish (like the RSA's)... they are better in wet than most UHP 100% summer tires, and are far quieter than most UHP's...

Also keep in mind that although they are rated as an all-season, you could NEVER use them as such. These tire are NEVER to touch snow... Falken gets away with calling it an all season because they've met the minimum requirement of silica needed to classify it as A/S... and the only reason they do this is so you can squeeze an extra 10K out of them...

If you keep 1 set of Falken's properly inflated, have a fresh allignment done (factory specs), rotate properly, do not track your car, or drive aggressively, there is no reason you why can't squeeze 70,000kms out of them... Now, given that we are not all saints, and a spirited driver lies among all of us , a more realistic number would be 55-60k. (which is amazing when considering the cost of and quality of this tire)

Talk to guys that sell tires (me, John, Billy) and we can all tell you we've sold TONS of 912's and have never had complaints about them... this means Falken has done something right, and this has in turn made it easier for us to sell. Until this year, Falken's advertising budget was almost nothing... that's because they had the consumer doing all their PR for them... customer feedback (especially when it's positive) is priceless when you have a good product to sell.

Allen SimplyTire Inc. l 14 Toro Road l Toronto l Ontario l M3J-2A4
    (t) 416-916-9233 l (e) allen@simplytire.com l www.simplytire.com

Need your fenders rolled? click HERE