Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Come on lower gears!

Hey guys,
    2005, 4/auto, GT Sport.

Sliding the shifter across to manual mode became second nature very soon after I bought the car. Last week I noticed that when I try to down shift it doesn't take the lower gears.

Now hang on.. I'm not a complete maniac. I'm not pulling 145km/h and trying to catch 3rd gear... that would be insane... I'd never try that... .

This is normal city driving slowing down from 70km/h. Most times when I push the stick forward to gear down nothing happens (it's intermittent). Is anyone else having or have had this problem?

I brought it in to Mazda and they did a "hard reset of the system" but as I drove out of the parking lot I discovered that it didn't do the trick.

Any thoughts here?

I've read a couple forums about jerky transmission...etc and a few people here suggested re-flashing the ecu. Think that would do it?

Thanks for reading.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Come on lower gears!

I don't use the tiptronic all that often so I'm not too experienced with it. I have never had a problem downshifting when I wanted to though. So from your example, you're driving 70 km/h and you want to shift from 4 to 3 and it doesn't shift?? That doesn't sound right.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eqlso View Post
    I don't use the tiptronic all that often so I'm not too experienced with it. I have never had a problem downshifting when I wanted to though. So from your example, you're driving 70 km/h and you want to shift from 4 to 3 and it doesn't shift?? That doesn't sound right.
    Yea, that's right exactly what's happening. Sometimes it functions like it should; I push the shifter forward and I get the 3rd gear but other times nothing happens. I should also mention that up-shifts are not a problem, it just down shifting.
    2005, 4 spd auto, Titanium Grey, 35% front/ 15% rear tint, 17" Falken FK452, cross-drilled rotors, Ractive Short Ram Intake, Koni FSD Shocks.
    (Soon: Shark Fin Antenna, Mesh front grille)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it drives properly in regular automatic mode, I would suspect the switch that is used to tell the tranny to downshift. I am almost sure that this is (I don't have my shop manual in front of me, not 100% positive) an electric switch as the tranny can choose to ignore you if it doesn't like what you are asking of it.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

unless the tiptronic mode has a limit on speed km/h that it wont let you down shift to prevent harm to the transmission, like if your doing 90km/h and you want to downshift it wont let you just because it will harm the tranny.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe it's the software preventing you from downshifting because of your RPMs or speed. Mazda wouldn't want you to mess up your car. just let the car downshift for you since it's programmed to do so. all you have to worry about is shifting up.
    Dave

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ds2chan View Post
    I believe it's the software preventing you from downshifting because of your RPMs or speed. Mazda wouldn't want you to mess up your car. just let the car downshift for you since it's programmed to do so. all you have to worry about is shifting up.
    He said the shift behaviour has changed recently.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    He said the shift behaviour has changed recently.....
    oh, I might have missed that. I just saw that it said intermittently so I figure it happens once in a while.

but in any case, I would just let the car downshift for you since it was made to do that. unless you have a reason to manually downshift??

I've also noticed that the car will only allow you to shift from 3rd to 4th when you're going at a certain speed. I didn't know I was still in 3rd gear when I shifted up while going like 10 km/h and the car wouldn't shift to 4th.. it just stayed in 3rd.. so maybe the same thing will happen if you try to downshift. that is, the programming is preventing you from doing so..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys,

To be clear; this is not a speed related fault. From my previous experience when your revs are too high for the lower gear the gear display in the dash would flash (3 times?). This is not the case.

I'm talking about slowing down or coming to a stop in normal granny city driving.

This problem just started last week and it is intermittent. Sometimes when push forward for 3rd gear it'll downshift but other times I'm left to sort of the speed on my own.

Before that I had no problems down shifting... unless the revs were too high.

I'm going to be perpetually depressed if I have to let the computer completely control my gear selection.

Mazda's computer was on the fritz yesterday so when they get it working I'll have to bring it back in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hey guys,

To be clear; this is not a speed related fault. From my previous experience when your revs are too high for the lower gear the gear display in the dash would flash (3 times?). This is not the case.

I'm talking about slowing down or coming to a stop in normal granny city driving.

This problem just started last week and it is intermittent. Sometimes when I push forward for 3rd gear it'll downshift but other times I'm left to sort of the speed on my own.

Before that I had no problems down shifting... unless the revs were too high.

I'm going to be perpetually depressed if I have to let the computer completely control my gear selection.

Mazda's computer was on the fritz yesterday so when they get it working I'll have to bring it back in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had a similar problem when my GF spilled her drink in my shifter...

If its not a transmission problem or a computer problem preventing the shift... it would be the switch inside the shifter unit like Noisy Crow suggested, and if Mazda doesn't do anything for you, try opening up your center arm rest, taking out the unit and reconnecting it... There's a few posts that explain how to do that ... Heres one:

http://www.mazdaclub.net/mz3ws/esico...html#wp1025486

Make sure you try pressing each wire/pin of the connector further into the connection plug.

If it's not a connection problem you might need to replace it... as my guesses are the downshift function / switch is integrated into PCB of the unit.

[ Mazda 3 GS Black Mica ] [ Current: Prolumen 6000k | Magnaflow CAT-back | Fujita CAI | Eibach Pro-kit | 20% Tint | Sumitomo HTR ZIII's | Black Calipers | White/Blue LED Dash | Stubby | Fogs | Supertones | TB Ground ]

... Zoom-zoom is the sound of my money flying out of my wallet ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M3Nick View Post

If its not a transmission problem or a computer problem preventing the shift... it would be the switch inside the shifter unit like Noisy Crow suggested, and if Mazda doesn't do anything for you, try opening up your center arm rest, taking out the unit and reconnecting it...

If it's not a connection problem you might need to replace it... as my guesses are the downshift function / switch is integrated into PCB of the unit.
    Thanks Guys,
    I have an appointment to take it back to the shop so I might suggest this to them. I think they want to hook it up the the computer and see what they find first. It's still under warranty so whatever it takes I'd imagine that they would fix it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Read the manual, it won't shift at certain speeds. For example you won't get back into 1st until your under 40km.h
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it might just be the software... i know with my '08 it tends to like to stick to a high gear at low speeds (with auto on)... thus, like you, i put it into manual mode and shift it myself. although, i have never experience the same problem as you. not sure whether the software is the same ('05 vs '08).

i know when i test drive a '08 from the dealer, the software doesn't override you as much as other cars because i push the car to 90km on second. so in terms of not allowing you to downshift at a low speed, i have not idea as to why except for the software explanation.

you might have to go to the dealer and address this issue.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just opened mine up, as the park switch wasn’t engaging, perhaps your manual up and down switches have the same problem. Under the shifter cover, there are two switches for the up and down switch, it just might be a mater or bending the thin metal actuator with a small pair of needle-nose pliers.
    2004 Mazda 3 GX
    1995 Saturn SL2
    1986 Mustang GT
    1983 Pontiac Grand Prix
    1981 VW Rabbit

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 4/Auto won't downshift in manual mode

UPDATE:
    I finally had an opportunity to take the car into the dealer for them to trouble shoot this problem again.

The first time I brought it in they did a "hard reboot"... This didn't fix it.

This time they downloaded and updated the PCM (Powertrain control module)/ ECU (Electronic Control Unit) with the latest release.

I got about 10 kilometers from the shop and guess what... it's still not downshifting properly.

So far it's appears not to be software related so maybe they'll go for the switch next time.

Thanks for reading and sharing your thoughts everyone! I'll keep the post updated.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Ron_M3 sport View Post
    Hey guys,
    2005, 4/auto, GT Sport.

Sliding the shifter across to manual mode became second nature very soon after I bought the car. Last week I noticed that when I try to down shift it doesn't take the lower gears.

Now hang on.. I'm not a complete maniac. I'm not pulling 145km/h and trying to catch 3rd gear... that would be insane... I'd never try that... .

This is normal city driving slowing down from 70km/h. Most times when I push the stick forward to gear down nothing happens (it's intermittent). Is anyone else having or have had this problem?

I brought it in to Mazda and they did a "hard reset of the system" but as I drove out of the parking lot I discovered that it didn't do the trick.

Any thoughts here?

I've read a couple forums about jerky transmission...etc and a few people here suggested re-flashing the ecu. Think that would do it?

Thanks for reading.

You cannot forget though that mazda software will not allow the car to downshift in certain speed conditions because of the rpm range. If the car is moving lets say 70-80k/h and you are in 4th gear doing 2200rpm and you try downshifting the computer may not let you because the revs may be to high. Remember that the auto's only have a 4 speed as apposed to a 5 speed transmission. It happens to me all the time at work when i drive a cx car and because i am so used to down shifting i try to use the tiptronic and often it will kic me back up a gear because the rpms are just to high for the car to handle. That is why i HATE auto the car controls you but you cannot control it
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Manual shift mode isn't working properly

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    You cannot forget though that mazda software will not allow the car to downshift in certain speed conditions because of the rpm range. If the car is moving lets say 70-80k/h and you are in 4th gear doing 2200rpm and you try downshifting the computer may not let you because the revs may be to high. Remember that the auto's only have a 4 speed as apposed to a 5 speed transmission. It happens to me all the time at work when i drive a cx car and because i am so used to down shifting i try to use the tiptronic and often it will kic me back up a gear because the rpms are just to high for the car to handle. That is why i HATE auto the car controls you but you cannot control it
    Hi McGuyver,
    This problem just started about 3, maybe 4 weeks ago. I forgot to mention that I've own the car for just under 4 years and I use the manual mode ALL the time. This being said I've learned what I can and can't get away with. I understand that the on-board computer system monitors and governs gear up and down shifts depending on revs, speed, current gear selection...etc. When the computer steps in the protect the engine and transmission from damage caused by the above mentioned scenarios, the gear position display in the instrument cluster flash. (3 times if I recall). This is not happening...
    Under normal driving circumstances when I'm driving my mother around town there is no reason why I shouldn't be allowed to downshift from 4th to 3rd gear if I'm slowing down from 60km/h. Having said this, sometimes it'll take the command and downshift to 3rd and even 2nd if I need it but 1 block down the street I'll push for 3rd gear again and nothing happens.
    I'll take it back to Mazda, again, and hopefully they can narrow it down. A few people here suggested the shift attenuator might be flaky.