Thread: mazda remote starter install

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default mazda remote starter install

Has anyone tried to install a Mazda remote starter on a Mazda3 sport with a 5 speed?(or I guess any 3 with a 5 speed). I'd like to install it but I don't want to put down the $200 and then find out its all module driven. If not has anyone installed a aftermarket remote starter? and do you have to get a spare key made and put in dash to get around the steering column anti-theft chip thing? Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: mazda remote starter install

all mazda 3 models has an immobilizer and needs to be bypass. theres a few bypass kits out there that are keyless. ive installed one on mazda 3 with 5spd tranny wirh compustar 2wfm900-as. just make sure when you install one on a 5spd tranny make sure the rs is compatible. from my experience, the mz3's wiring are mostly on the passenger side. should take you between 5-6hrs depending on you foinding all the right wires. just be extra carefull are a lot of wires are identical colors.
    ¤ 2008.5 CWP MS3 ¤

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A 5-speed will need a clutch bypass and the correct interlocking to prevent the car from starting while in gear. The Mazda OEM remote start is designed for only automatic transmissions. It does have all the right bits-and-pieces to deal with imobolizer, tach sensor, wiring harness, etc.You can do the interlocking to make it work with a 5-speed, but if the car does managed to start while in gear someone could be very, very badly hurt.
    Last edited by Noisy Crow; 10-20-2008 at 11:25 AM.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know some people might be hesitant to share info that could cause injury but could someone steer me to the info or maybe the wiring diagrams to make the interlocking work. BTW I've post this question on many of the US mazda forums thinking that they would have a wider base for info, but I've more info from these two posts then all the US forums. Thank you.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by iagraham2 View Post
    I know some people might be hesitant to share info that could cause injury but could someone steer me to the info or maybe the wiring diagrams to make the interlocking work. BTW I've post this question on many of the US mazda forums thinking that they would have a wider base for info, but I've more info from these two posts then all the US forums. Thank you.
    Check out www.the12volt.com

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks a lot Noisy Crow. I know I asking a lot but does anyone know if the mazda unit is plug and play with some mods to work with a manual, or is it the standard moduale with hardwiring ?

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are you talking about the remote starter that you can get form the dealership? If so, from what I understand it is just for the automatic and not the 5 spd cars.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

like i said from my previous post, make sure you get a remote starter that is compatible with manual cars. i would highly recommend compustar or dei products. their system has a safety mode for manual cars called "reservation mode" which reminds you to leave the car in neutral upon leaving your car. the car will remain running when you remove your key and as soon as you shut the doors, it will lock all doors and your car is ready to be remote started. if for some reason you need something from the car and unlock the door, this automatically cancels reservation mode preventing you from accidentally shifting the car in gear and remote starting the car. i highly think this is the best system out there.

IMHO, have your car installed by a professional as the mazda3's wiring is very complicated.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am talking about the remote you get from the dealership, and it can be modified to a 5 speed. I plan on installing it myself, something I'm used too I just have never installed a dealer/factory unit. Installing it isn't that hard I was just trying to find out whether or not it could be modified and if anyone has tried.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol why not do a group buy with me to AudioHeaven... been needing to drag my ass over there for my compustar system.
    2008.5 Black Mica M3 Sport: HID, Blacked out Mazda emblems, Momo shift knob, LED interior, CF Eyelids,

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am talking about the remote you get from the dealership, and it can be modified to a 5 speed. I plan on installing it myself, something I'm used too I just have never installed a dealer/factory unit. Installing it isn't that hard I was just trying to find out whether or not it could be modified and if anyone has tried.
    It can be modded to work with a 5 speed. The big trick is correctly enforcing that the car is not in gear. But as noted, if not done properly the result can be serious injuries or worse.

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself, these cars wiring is more complex than most cars. We can install a system for you, check our monthly specials for a deal on a Compustar system.
    WE CARRY: AUDIO CONTROL -
    CLARION - KICKER - ECLIPSE - VIPER - POLK AUDIO - KAPTION - KENWOOD - db DRIVE - ROCKFORD FOSGATE - FOCAL - ORION - US AMPS - ROSEN - COMPUSTAR- RE AUDIO - DIGITAL DESIGNS - MOREL

PROUD TO BE AN IASCA CERTIFIED SHOP

www.selectivesound.net

EST.1994

LIFETIME WARRANTY ON ALL OUR INSTALLATIONS

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by selective sound View Post
    I wouldn't recommend doing this yourself, these cars wiring is more complex than most cars. We can install a system for you, check our monthly specials for a deal on a Compustar system.
    +1

Selective sound did a great job installing my Compustar Pro
    06 Black Mica Mazda 3
    Performance: Magnaflow CatBack Exhaust, Injen CAI, Buddy Club Condenser
    Lighting, Electrical & Security: Prolumen 8k H7 HID, LED Fogs, Angel Eyes, Compustar Pro 2WFMAS Alarm/Starter, LED Dome & Glovebox
    I.C.E.: Kenwood DNX8120, JL High Output 12W3, Alpine PDX5
    Exterior: 17" RTX Neurotoxins, Tein S-Techs, 20% Tint All Around, Sharkfin

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have a compustar on my 5spd 3... and an OEM on the Mazda5 (automatic)

I don't doubt that it can be modified to work, but don't cry when your 3 is in you kitchen.

Trust me. Go with the Compustar or any other aftermarket.
    Damn you photobucket.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheBiz View Post
    I have a compustar on my 5spd 3... and an OEM on the Mazda5 (automatic)

I don't doubt that it can be modified to work, but don't cry when your 3 is in you kitchen.

Trust me. Go with the Compustar or any other aftermarket.
    1+ ! I've seen it happen in Coffee Time. Guy left the car in gear and when he remote started it, car went right inside.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just installed the mazda remote starter. Very easy install only took about 2hrs. Works great! Only had to splice 6 wires the rest was plug and play. As for the "leaving the car in gear" thing, I've never left my car in gear even without a remote starter, so having to remember that is not an issue. If you are used to leaving your car in gear then it might be an adjustment or don't go this route. If your worried about running your car through your very own coffee time drive-thru LEAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON! If you've taken care of your brake adjustments the car won't go anywhere.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just installed the mazda remote starter. Very easy install only took about 2hrs. Works great! Only had to splice 6 wires the rest was plug and play. As for the "leaving the car in gear" thing, I've never left my car in gear even without a remote starter, so having to remember that is not an issue. If you are used to leaving your car in gear then it might be an adjustment or don't go this route. If your worried about running your car through your very own coffee time drive-thru LEAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON! If you've taken care of your brake adjustments the car won't go anywhere.
    What if someone else bors your car and leaves it in gear and you or that person hits the button to start the car and you need up killing someone???
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm actually impressed @ how easy you found the install. It's not an easy thing for most. Congrats, and glad it works.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As for the "leaving the car in gear" thing, I've never left my car in gear even without a remote starter, so having to remember that is not an issue. If you are used to leaving your car in gear then it might be an adjustment or don't go this route. If your worried about running your car through your very own coffee time drive-thru LEAVE THE PARKING BRAKE ON! If you've taken care of your brake adjustments the car won't go anywhere.
    I generally refrain from flaming people, but...

Installing a remote start on a car with a manual transmission and not installing it in a way that prevents starting when in gear is just plain IRRESPONSIBLE. It shows you don't give a damn about anyone who might get hurt if the car does start in gear.

You can spout all the BS you want about "never leaving the car in gear" or "always putting the parking brake on" but: someday you WILL forget. Someday the parking brake WON'T stop the car from moving when the starter motor kicks in. And someone WILL get hurt.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

how did you manage to instal the oem starter on a mannual? as far as i was led to beleive it was simply not possible? I recomend that you get a compustar so you dont end up killingor hurting someone like NoisyCrow mentioned but i would be interested to know
    thanks

McG_3
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

McGuver, it wires up the exact same as the automatic, just needs the clutch switch bypassed.

Its lockout relies on the fact that an automatic will only start in neutral or park. Which is why Installing it on a manual car with the clutch bypassed and without additional interlocking is so dangerous.

It can be done safely, but it does require work and very careful wiring.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Has anyone got into their car and no put their seat belt on? I haven't and I never will drive around without it on, just like I will never leave my car in gear or forget to put the parking brake on. As for someone borrowing my car or it going in to service (which doesn't happen often because I'm a mechanic) a bypass switch is installed on the kick panel preventing the remote starter from working. Like I said before this route my not be for you and I am, by no means, suggesting that everyone install there own starter no matter how easy it is. I was merely saying it was easy to install and if you are habit prone like myself then maybe it will work for you. I also don't want to take anything away from the highly skilled installers out there. They are very good at what they do, and they do it liability free (i.e.. safely). Also it can cost a lot to have one installed professionally, especially for a unit that bypasses the ignition lock, works with door locks (with no extra wiring), and can turn on your heated mirrors and rear defroster, all that for $230. I guess a phrase that might keep some of you happy is "you get what you pay for". In this case I'm satisfied.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You are a mechanic? a licenced mechanic? And you think this is okay?

You've never, ever, had a momentary lapse of attention and locked you keys in your car? You only have to forget to leave it in neutral once.

You can safety it with two relays, a couple of diodes and some wire. $10 bucks worth of parts.
    Last edited by Noisy Crow; 12-14-2008 at 12:54 PM.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, yes, yes*, and no

*it works for me, it's not something I would do for anyone else.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes, yes, yes*, and no

*it works for me, it's not something I would do for anyone else.

i am a mechanic myself not licenced yet but in my apprenticeship and i do not agree with you. Its to dangerous do you want to live the rest of your life paying for your mistake for putting a 230$ remote start in with a bypassed clutch? IMO just pay 500$ for a proper remote starter with instal and you wont be regretting it for the rest of your life.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast