Thread: Bubbling on Door Window Frames

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Bubbling on Door Window Frames

Has anybody come across bubbling under the black covering of the door frames by the window? Has anyone talked to their dealer about it and what did they say?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Bubbling on Door Window Frames

Never heard of this. Do you have any pictures you could post?

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sounds like you got some corrosion issues...I think there is metal under the black frame around the doors so it's possible it's begun to corrode, which is causing the bubbling. I've seen this happen on other cars (though much older ones than Mazda3).

As Cardi mentioned, post some pics, that would help with the diagnosis.
    Mazda 3 GT 2008, Sunlight Silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, there is metal under the black coating, which is actually a vinyl film.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the black finish on the door frames is just a black sticky piece on top of painted metal. If you're seeing bubbling it can be a couple of things; either the black film is bubbling, or the paint underneath is bubbling. Either way, I would take it to the dealership.

Post pics too, I'm curious to see what it looks like.
    There is a theory which states that a billion monkeys pounding on a billion keyboards will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.

Thanks to the Internet, we now know this theory is wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My old 99 Z24 did this, and its a mess after it breaks through the rubber. It ends up leaving streaks on your paint as the rain water runs down with the corrosion... Especially noticeable and embarassing on a black car! (zip it about being embarrassed in a Cav! Windows were tinted... )

GM did nothing (as expected) and dealer wanted about $120/side for replacements... I just scoured the wreckers for a decent set, $50 for 2....

Hopefull the dealer will do something, but try option 2, wreckers for replacements. Good luck!
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT (Titanium Mica) Sold
    2006 Ford Escape XLT (Blazing Copper)

"What about those red balls they have on car aerials so you can spot your car in a park. I think all cars should have them!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, I have a little of this going on. Stealership won't do anything for you and will claim that they are only responsible for anything from window line down. If you have any success with this, let me know as I would like mine taken care of as well, gl.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Peel the black vinyl back; and then bring it in saying its caused by poor paint prep.. if they ask about the vinyl, tell them you removed it cause' you were scared of that exact thing happening..

It took 4 TIMES when I bought my Cobalt for them to get those damn vinyl's straight and without bubbles applied to my car.
    From the South- Windsor
    Windsor Mazda Service Advisor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- SOLD but not forgotten
    2016 SWP Mazda6 GT 6-MT- DAILY

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

check this thread out, Ithink someone here had the same problem, not sure

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ad.php?t=26095

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had this happen like 3 years ago it was the actual vinyl bubbling nothing with rust issues; I had it replaced under warranty no issues.

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've begun the same problem in the right rear. Its pretty common among protege's as well. I've sanded the area as best I could and repainted....a temp fix I guess.
    - - - - - - | NOW | 08' VW Jetta 2.0T | - - - - - - - | BEFORE | 04' Mazda 3 GT/GFX | - - - - - -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevcol74 View Post
    My old 99 Z24 did this, and its a mess after it breaks through the rubber. It ends up leaving streaks on your paint as the rain water runs down with the corrosion... Especially noticeable and embarassing on a black car! (zip it about being embarrassed in a Cav! Windows were tinted... )

GM did nothing (as expected) and dealer wanted about $120/side for replacements... I just scoured the wreckers for a decent set, $50 for 2....

Hopefull the dealer will do something, but try option 2, wreckers for replacements. Good luck!
    Damn!!! Is this an issue with these cars too??? Funny that you posted this... when I saw the title I immediately thought of my Sunfire. I guess my dealer likes me better because they replaced the first set under warranty after 2 years or so, but sure enough the same thing happened to the replacement set and they now look like complete garbage. I think I paid around $75 each for a 3rd set, but haven't put them on yet. I figured I'd wait until the car comes out of storage or they'll be wasted as they just corrode away like the previous ones.

I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with this again on the Mazda!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Weasel View Post
    Damn!!! Is this an issue with these cars too??? Funny that you posted this... when I saw the title I immediately thought of my Sunfire. I guess my dealer likes me better because they replaced the first set under warranty after 2 years or so, but sure enough the same thing happened to the replacement set and they now look like complete garbage. I think I paid around $75 each for a 3rd set, but haven't put them on yet. I figured I'd wait until the car comes out of storage or they'll be wasted as they just corrode away like the previous ones.

I sure as hell don't want to have to deal with this again on the Mazda!!
    This is a BIG issue on the J Bodies, I see them all over the place with bad ones. My Dad's sunfire has terrible ones too, although its a 97 POS, but still running! My Cav did it too, and on black cars as I mentioned, its a huge eye sore. I haven't noticed anything on my 3 yet though. Probably starts when the rubber coating is broken, either naturally or maybe with an ice scraper....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am having this problem too. I have called Mazda Canada and have done an assessment at my dealership for this problem and all the other corrosion problems on my car. I am now waiting to see what the verdict is, if they are going to repair everything. *crossing my fingers*

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure it's corrosion because the bubbles are hard. I'll try and snap a pic or two and post when i have a moment.

I guess what I want to know is: Do I start looking for a new door or get it fixed and hope it doesn't come back. They say rust is car cancer, so the odds of it being completely fixed are not in my favour. Judging by some of the responses, this holds true.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I gotta say...I love my Mazda but the corrosion issues on these cars are PATHETIC. Seriously...to have cars rust in such a short period of time in this day and age is really sad. (Obviously see the thread started by Zoom_Zoom_Girl to know what I mean).

I'm honestly worried to go through my first winter with my car. I've had it rustproofed and I wash it every week but boy oh boy am I not looking forward to winter with my Mazda.

FOR SHAME MAZDA, FOR SHAME!! :-(

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just took off my side mirrors to get them repainted.. colour match was off.. and I noticed from last year there was a bit of rust. Now, there is bubbling going on.. wtf.

It looks like a poor finishing job, welding, etc. and it seems to collect a lot of moisture where the mirrors connect with the door - at least on the driver side.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Seen this on a LOT of Mazda's actually

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

im having this problem now and i took it to the dealership and they said they will do it under warranty but there is a catch and they said that i have to pay for the paint which is $400. is this reasonable? (will post pics tomorrow)