Thread: Ontario Mazda Dealer: "Aftermarket bulbs causing condensation"...?!?!?!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Ontario Mazda Dealer: "Aftermarket bulbs causing condensation"...?!?!?!

So here is the issue:

I brought my '07 3 GT to Ontario Mazda (don't ask... it's a convenient location by my work) in regards to condensation that has been building up in my driver's side fog lamp. As the car is under warranty, they oferred to replace the foglamp housing at no cost.

A couple of days go by, and the condensation is back.... so I bring it back to Ontario Mazda. Now they are saying that it's the aftermarket bulbs which are causing the condensation. I know it's basically my word against their's, but I haven't used my foglamps in a while (since the spring).

Can this really be the cause? If so, why hasn't the other foglamp build up with condensation if it's the same aftermarket bulb... ?!?!?
    resident "Bouncer"; all-around nice guy ...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ontario Mazda Dealer: "Aftermarket bulbs causing condensation"...?!?!?!

IF the bulb doesn't have a good seal at the base, yes it could be the aftermarket bulb... Has nothing to do with using it or not, has to do with a proper seal. Check the seal on the bulb (rubber gasket that is at the base of the bulb, likely round)
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT (Titanium Mica) Sold
    2006 Ford Escape XLT (Blazing Copper)

"What about those red balls they have on car aerials so you can spot your car in a park. I think all cars should have them!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Ontario Mazda Dealer: "Aftermarket bulbs causing condensation"...?!?!?!

I also have condensation in my driver's side fog light, but I figure it's because the bulb is too long for a proper seal. I use Prolumen H11s.

Maybe it's a driver's side issue, like the housing is a few mm shorter than the passenger side?
    2006 Mazda 3 GT | 2012 Dodge Charger SRT | 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I just came back from the Ontario mazda dealership. They replaced the housing for the 2nd time (at no charge...), and I gave them the stock bulbs to put back in. So I guess at thsi point it's just a matter of wait and see.....

If the condensation no longer persists, then it probably was the seal as stated by kevcol74. But if the condensation starts again, I have no clue what teh problem could be...?!?!?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is only 1 way for the condensation to get in, that at the bulb seal. (of course assuming no cracks and the fog light is otherwise air tight) If it does it again, then its been a bad batch of fog lights manufactured...
    Good luck!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevcol74 View Post
    There is only 1 way for the condensation to get in, that at the bulb seal. (of course assuming no cracks and the fog light is otherwise air tight) If it does it again, then its been a bad batch of fog lights manufactured...
    Good luck!
    hahaha... duely noted. I'm hoping that going back to the stocks is the problem. I guess I'll know within the next few days with the flucuating temperature change...

Ride
    Subaru BRZ
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Use some silicone or black 3M Strip-Calk around the bulbs o-ring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I know it's only been less then a day, but with the temperature overnight/ fog this morning I figured there would be some condensation..... but so far so good (knocking on wood....).

I guess it propably was the sealent on the aftermarket bulb after all....