Thread: POS tensioner-replaced

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default POS tensioner-replaced

Well folks, the idle noise on my 04 mazda3 GT finally became ridiculously loud, and above 3k rpm sounded like marbles in a blender, it was easy to narrow it down to the belt tensioner -

I went to the mazda stealership to buy a new one to the tone of $200 bux, very crazy for a hunk a metal, a spring, and a steel wheel.
    At least the new one actually has ball bearings and a steel wheel compared to the POS one that had a plastic wheel and NO ball bearings.
    It is almost as if Mazda designed this part to fail........, im sure they did, what a hunk of junk it is.

At least they redesigned it.

removel and install too all of 20mins, it was wuite easy actually.

cheers

Im sure lots of the noises under the hood of many 3's are coming from the old school belt tensioner.
    The noises got worse when the temp dropped.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: POS tensioner-replaced

any idea when they redesigned it?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most tensioners will go eventually. Maybe some sooner than later. I just had an expensive repair bill last week way more expensive than yours. Eventually the older the car is, the more things start to break down. Trust me bud, (knocking on wood) I hope nothing happens for a while. LOL!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes , that is understood - a car is a depreciate asset it is going to fall apart eventually.

But replacing a belt tensioner at 4yr - 80,000kms is ubsurd..... this is the 10th car I have owned , and the only car I have ever had to replace a belt tensioner - and the crappiest designed tensioner I have ever seen.

A plastic wheel with no bearings - I am suprised this things lasted as long as it did - and I can see how some owners experienced complete destruction of their tensioner wheel.

the redesign is because many are failing - that seens to be the only reason why mazda would do usch a thing, also the engine mounts were also redesigned.

Look for the TSB for car vibration at cruise speed - it gives that actual part numbers for the new harder mounts.

cheers - if you tensioner has a plastic wheel replace it as soon as you can ,

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats one thing why i hated my 3. I had my tensioner replaced and the belt as well, but the noise remained. I was so fed up and lost hopes for that car.
    2010 Subaru STI

Mods:
    Not enough room to list

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Atleast your warned you...

I was racing a civic from a stop and go on my back roads, dropped it hard it first, slapped it into second and heard a weird "Thunk". Hit third and noticed my battery light was on, then tranny light, then power steering light, then every light went on! Pulled over and noticed dripping and a puddle. I thought i popped either my water pump or tranny. Looked even further and noticed i have no belts!! Serpintine belt and a/c belt both blew off. That thunk was the belts rolling under my car

Called mazda, flipped out about the plastic tensioner. The gave me a new steel tensioner, Belt and ac belt (389$) for $110 and i installed it.

p.s beat the civic till i pulled over
    2004 M3 Sedan Titanium Grey- 5% Tint | LED interior | Fujita F5 CAI| 17" Ikon DTS| Magnaflow Exhaust | 8000k HID conversion | Kenstyle Grill | Smoked Side markers & Tails | Falken 912 205/50/R17 | Short Shifter | Leather GT Seats | Yellow Fogs | Hawk HPS | Skunk2 Springs | Next: Tranny mount

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine did the same as CanSpeed 3s... popped only at cruising speed of 60km/h!! Mine was replaced all under MAP warranty, no charge! But, I believe I have plastic again... I may have to go back to the dealer and demand the redesign! Unfortunately it only took out my serp belt, not the AC belt, so they reused it... cheap bastards!
    BTW CanSpeed, your power steering light?? I've never heard of it, and your PS is not belt driven.... But did you notice more power with the lack of belt drag?
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT (Titanium Mica) Sold
    2006 Ford Escape XLT (Blazing Copper)

"What about those red balls they have on car aerials so you can spot your car in a park. I think all cars should have them!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kevcol74 View Post
    Mine did the same as CanSpeed 3s... popped only at cruising speed of 60km/h!! Mine was replaced all under MAP warranty, no charge! But, I believe I have plastic again... I may have to go back to the dealer and demand the redesign! Unfortunately it only took out my serp belt, not the AC belt, so they reused it... cheap bastards!
    that's un-possible ... you have to cut the AC belt to get it off .. and to replace the alternator belt ...at least by the book you do (note the caution in bold about reusing the AC belt).

BTW CanSpeed, your power steering light?? I've never heard of it, and your PS is not belt driven.... But did you notice more power with the lack of belt drag?
    the power steering is electric yes, so if the alternator isn't being spun, the voltage drop will trip the power steering light (and, yes, there is a power steering light).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol kev. I didnt notice less drag, but i sure noticed my heat temp fly up quick. Thank god for warning gadges.

And yes majesticblue is right the power steering is ran from the belt its electric. Pretty much everything on that car is powered by that belt. Its actually not even called a serpintine belt, mazda uses another word/name for it.

As for re-using the AC belt its impossible. Its a one time stetch belt that goes on once, and will not stetch again to go on twice. you need to cut it off to remove it. Something all 2004's should be replacing about now at the dealership next time you get your oil changed.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CanSpeed 3 View Post
    lol kev. I didnt notice less drag, but i sure noticed my heat temp fly up quick. Thank god for warning gadges.

And yes majesticblue is right the power steering is ran from the belt its electric. Pretty much everything on that car is powered by that belt. Its actually not even called a serpintine belt, mazda uses another word/name for it.

As for re-using the AC belt its impossible. Its a one time stetch belt that goes on once, and will not stetch again to go on twice. you need to cut it off to remove it. Something all 2004's should be replacing about now at the dealership next time you get your oil changed.

Well, then I got screwed, because the Guelph Dealership DID NOT replce it. I could see plainly that it was put back on, although I did notice it chirping. I just got back from a business trip, may be paying them a visit! The work order for the repairs show only the serp belt and tensioner were replaced, not the AC belt.
    So, it IS possible, but not reccomended! lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just posted about this on an older topic then came across this one, but anyhoo...

My belt tensioner just went at 30k (!) and was replaced under warranty (tensioner and belt). It was whining when idling and grunting when driving and at low revs. The belt was slipping because apparently the bearing in the tensioner was going, causing the belt to slip over it.

Happy that it was replaced under warranty but annoyed at the time I spent doing it on such a young car!

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there's actually a TSB on the tensioner and its all the 04s that have this plastic junk... I believe some very early 05s do too... I know my 05 has the updated steel part
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    there's actually a TSB on the tensioner and its all the 04s that have this plastic junk... I believe some very early 05s do too... I know my 05 has the updated steel part
    mine is an 2005 and I have the steel version

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just had my 2 belts replaced on my 2007 Mazda3 GT. Currently have 68,000km on it.

I got a 15% discount, and they threw in a new tensioner for free.

Isn't this a little premature? After reading all the forums, it almost seems like the belt tensioner 'caused' the problem, yet all of this maintenance wasn't covered under warranty...

Any thoughts?
    2007 Mazda3 GT 2.3L / Fujita F5 CAI / KYB GR-2 Struts / LED Interior lighting / 8000K HIDs - 3000K Fogs / RAZO / 30% Lumar Ceramic Tint / LED 3rd Brake Light

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had Metal on my 04 2.3 ... Replaced with new Plastic ....lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mine being an '07, I think mine was metal before..now it's plastic... great. :/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sparcas View Post
    I just had my 2 belts replaced on my 2007 Mazda3 GT. Currently have 68,000km on it.

I got a 15% discount, and they threw in a new tensioner for free.

Isn't this a little premature? After reading all the forums, it almost seems like the belt tensioner 'caused' the problem, yet all of this maintenance wasn't covered under warranty...

Any thoughts?
    Well considering your above 60k, that may be the reason for them charging you!! ...but they still shouldn't have!!. Considering the tensioner would cause premature wear on the belt and both belts must be replaced in the process and most importantly, there is a TSB on it...I had my tensioner replaced for the second time not long ago at Scarbro Mazda and they replaced both belts after I pressed them abit...and they were good about it too, meaning....no charge!!

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What years does this occur on? 04-05?
    Too Many Mods To List

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Well considering your above 60k, that may be the reason for them charging you!! ...but they still shouldn't have!!. Considering the tensioner would cause premature wear on the belt and both belts must be replaced in the process and most importantly, there is a TSB on it...I had my tensioner replaced for the second time not long ago at Scarbro Mazda and they replaced both belts after I pressed them abit...and they were good about it too, meaning....no charge!!

_3
    The TSB reccomends replacement of both belts, but Warranty only allows the main belt to be replaced, not the AC Belts if it is undamaged. I thought the dealership I took mine to was screwing me until I inquired with another dealer, and they told me that its Mazda Canada, not them. And if the belt is undamaged, they won't even replace it, just the tensioner! Yes, the AC belt was reused! Yes, it can be reused.... although Mazda doesn't reccomend it in the TSB, they will in the case of warranty.

And mine was replaced with the newest designed metal pulley....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The TSB reccomends replacement of both belts, but Warranty only allows the main belt to be replaced, not the AC Belts if it is undamaged. I thought the dealership I took mine to was screwing me until I inquired with another dealer, and they told me that its Mazda Canada, not them. And if the belt is undamaged, they won't even replace it, just the tensioner! Yes, the AC belt was reused! Yes, it can be reused.... although Mazda doesn't reccomend it in the TSB, they will in the case of warranty.

And mine was replaced with the newest designed metal pulley....
    Well like I said, I had both belts and tensioner replaced free of charge!! My dealer did contact Mazda Canada and got the OK to replace everything!! So...I think you just got BSed by both dealers...or they just didn't try hard enough, unfortunately for you.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    Well like I said, I had both belts and tensioner replaced free of charge!! My dealer did contact Mazda Canada and got the OK to replace everything!! So...I think you just got BSed by both dealers....unfortunately

_3
    Those cheap SOBs!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

found the TSB for '04s '05s

http://www.protegefaq.net/tsb/01-003-05.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Ron, how long ago did you get these replaced and was it under the TSB Sparcas posted? or do you have a link to another? So you were successful with Scarboro Mazda, can anyone else chime in on where they have had these replaced successfully under this TSB?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sauga_kid View Post
    Hey Ron, how long ago did you get these replaced and was it under the TSB Sparcas posted? or do you have a link to another? So you were successful with Scarboro Mazda, can anyone else chime in on where they have had these replaced successfully under this TSB?

Most recently, I believe it was just last summer.I had the tensioner replaced once before, but they hadn't replaced the belts.So, ...the second time around I mentioned the TSB and the fact that it mentions not just the drive belt but the AC belt must be replaced.They looked up the TSB and then confirmed with Mazda Canada and replaced everything N/C.
    Scarboro Mazda has been really good to me, as I've dealt with them almost exclusively and I also purchased my vehicle there.They have done several TSB and warranty replacements for me with no hassle about my mods and always no charge but best of all with class! ...which is why I continue to promote them and return there for most all my service.

_3