Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 mazda 3 S grand touring edmunds review

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...ticleId=138526

it the snooze button. Rub our eyes. Grab some snacks and head out the door. Don't forget a jacket. Today we test the 2010 Mazda 3 s Grand Touring.

Key in pocket, we climb behind the wheel. At this pre-dawn hour, the cabin remains dark until we shut the door. Crimson backlights bring life to the ringed gauges of the instrument panel. Before our eyes can adjust, the red hue spreads to the center stack, where a digital welcome invites us to Mazda's temple of zoom. Directly below, a horizontal blue band highlights the radio interface and continues south into the dual-zone HVAC dials.

Our introduction to the thoroughly revised and improved 2010 Mazda 3 culminates with a push of the start button.

Premium Thinking
    Mazda views this 2010 version of the Mazda 3 as an opportunity to enhance its existing recipe for the small sedan. Since the Mazda 3 is already the global leader in sales for Mazda, dramatic changes were deemed unnecessary. Instead, Mazda engineers have simply added value to the Mazda 3.

This has been the Mazda 3's position statement until now, of course, but now the program includes a larger-displacement engine, a stiffer chassis with a fine-tuned suspension, and an exterior shell that's been reshaped for function as well as style. All the while, Mazda has tried to preserve the sporty spirit that has set the Mazda 3 apart from its less ambitious rivals.

Add Amenities
    Our lanky frame appreciates the driving position afforded by an eight-way adjustable seat paired with a tilt-and-telescoping steering wheel. We settle into the slightly larger sport seats of the Grand Touring version of the Mazda 3, and their modified bolsters secure us comfortably into position. Also new for the 2010 Mazda 3 s GT is a three-position memory feature for the driver seat, and with our settings saved, we spin the seat heaters to level five to take the chill off this dark winter morning and hit the road to the test track.

We approach the freeway on-ramp led by a pair of auto-leveling bi-xenon headlights, now standard equipment for the s-model Grand Touring. As we pitch the Mazda 3 into the ramp and press closer to the cornering limit of 0.82 g that the day's test protocol will later define, the adaptive system pivots the headlights to light our way. Adaptive headlights in a compact car are unexpected, let alone as standard equipment.

The ramp straightens out and we merge onto the freeway. The 60-mile trip to the track offers plenty of time for us to delve into the Mazda's multi-information display (MID). A full-color information display comes with the optional Technology package, and complements keyless entry, push-button start and satellite radio. Integrated with the MID is an optional compact navigation system with controls mounted on the steering wheel. Its display screen is smaller than others in the segment, yet this makes it more cost-effective to manufacture, so Mazda expects the system to run about $500, which will enable it to be competitive with portable nav units from the aftermarket.

Add a Zoomy Shape
    We top off the 15.9-gallon fuel tank with regular unleaded, pull into our test facility and park the Mazda atop the scales. Only now in the morning light do we really get to look over our Celestial Blue Mazda 3. It's slightly longer from bumper to bumper to accommodate a larger fuel tank and the s-model's unique muffler design. The character lines of the hood and body sides have been redrawn to reflect the lineage of the Mazda family face, something that has been successfully established by the RX-8, CX-7, CX-9 and now the Mazda 6. But we can't stop staring at the Mazda 3's grille. It's hideous.

Special attention has been paid to develop the Mazda 3's prominent new beak, and it's functional. The design actually limits airflow to the engine compartment to only what's truly necessary for cooling and combustion, and the result is a lower coefficient of aerodynamic drag. A guide incorporated into the front bumper directs air into the radiator. Meanwhile, a bypass flap opens at high speed to minimize the drag of the cooling fan behind the radiator, while subtle deflectors in the fenders improve airflow around the tires. So for all the visual challenges of the Mazda 3's new grille, the end result is a 0.29 Cd, one of the lowest drag coefficients in the compact class.

Efforts to lighten the vehicle led Mazda engineers to the chassis. By replacing key areas with high-tensile steel, increasing the rigidity of the attachment points and adding structural adhesive, bending rigidity has increased 7 percent, while weight has decreased by 24 pounds. Our tester still weighed in at a hefty 3,035 pounds, with 61 percent of that weight over the front tires. That is 200 pounds heavier than the last Toyota Corolla we tested and 100 pounds more than the most recent Honda Civic. We drive off the scales and pop the hood.

Add an Engine
    We safety check the vitals before sending the 2010 Mazda 3 through a series of straight-line tests. This new 2.5-liter MZR inline-4 is up 11 horsepower and 18 pound-feet of torque from the 2.3-liter MZR of the 2009 Mazda 3. It also happens to be the same engine used in the 2009 Mazda 6. It generates 167 hp and 168 lb-ft of torque, and this four-banger doesn't redline until 6,200 rpm. From a standstill, the new 3 hits 60 mph in 7.9 seconds (7.6 seconds with 1 foot of rollout like on a drag strip) and crosses the quarter-mile light in 15.8 seconds at 88.03 mph.

Throttle response and power are commendable for a car in the compact segment. At the same time, when the car is pushed to its limits, the otherwise crisp-shifting six-speed transmission can be cumbersome. Our test driver had trouble convincing the stick to engage 3rd gear during a couple of acceleration runs.

Brake testing is next. Mazda updated the system with a vacuum booster designed to provide a more linear pedal response under light-effort braking. The electronic brakeforce distribution has also been recalibrated to improve handling during hard braking and extreme cornering maneuvers. But when it came time for the Mazda's four-wheel discs to shine, they didn't. The Mazda 3 requires 127 feet to come to a stop from 60 mph, and we've tested a 2009 Corolla with rear drums that needed only 125 feet to complete the same task. We suspect the Mazda's overall weight probably plays a role here.

Add a Suspension
    As the Mazda shows its stuff through the slalom and around the skid pad, its superior chassis and suspension design take center stage.

The previous-generation Mazda 3 earned our praise for its steering feel and sound body control, and some minor refinements for 2010 ensure that it keeps its personality intact. Its electrohydraulic-assist rack-and-pinion steering gear is now bolted down in three locations (one more than the previous year) to minimize vibration over rough pavement. Recalibrated dampers and relocated antiroll bars improve body control without adding harshness. And the aforementioned upgrades in chassis rigidity work in sync with these suspension alterations to offer excellent handling balance and nicely weighted steering effort through the slalom. The 2010 Mazda 3 records 68.2 mph, a speed identical to the last Honda Civic Si we tested. That is impressive.

We pull the Mazda 3 over to the skid pad and begin our first lap. Well-balanced and highly responsive to throttle input, this sedan handles more like a sports car than an affordable compact car. Its 17-inch Yokohama Avid all-season tires wrestle with freeway expansion joints, but around the smooth surface of the skid pad they grip without distraction to a limit of 0.82 g. Again, the Mazda holds true to its dynamic lineage.

Keep the Heritage
    With a scent of burned rubber and brake pads in the air, our test day comes to an end. We pack our bags, grab our jacket and head for home.

Mazda has changed the 2010 Mazda 3 without changing its attitude. New ingredients improve its dynamic make-up without compromising the spirit we loved so much in the outgoing model. We expect Mazda also won't compromise when it comes time to announce pricing on the Mazda 3 early next year. It should be comparable to its predecessor.

We appreciate the effort to refine products. But when a redesign is scheduled simply because the product life cycle suggests it's time, the customer usually pays the price for a car that's different but not better. The 2010 Mazda 3 is an example of doing it right. Every improvement here reflects a functional purpose. Of course, as the Mazda 3's grille also proves, sometimes functional isn't always attractive.
    Vehicle Testing Assistant Mike Magrath says:
    You know what they say about assuming, don't you? Well, I've got to raise my hand and admit that when it came to the 2010 Mazda 3, I made an ass out of me.

I just had this crazy misconception that new cars should be better than the cars they replace. Mazda can talk all day about the chassis stiffening and additional bolts on the steering system and new vacuum booster on the brakes, but at the end of the day, these things need to matter.

In the 2010 Mazda 3, they don't. It's a nice car — a good car, really — but the brakes seem to be less effective than the ones in the car it replaces. The slalom speed is slower than the car it replaces. The exterior is, to put it lightly, stupid and busy. It's a new car, and while it is appreciably faster, there's just not enough here to justify the redesign.

Personally, I was waiting for the 2010 Mazda 3 with real anticipation. It was in top contention for my next car, but after driving this one, I've driven to my local Mazda dealership and talked numbers on a 2009 Mazda 3 five-door. Turns out that now's a great time to buy a 2009 Mazda 3. But don't get the pearl-white hatch with cloth upholstery and no sunroof. That one's mine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 mazda 3 S grand touring edmunds review

Nice write, but testing also has a lot to do with temperature and whatnot. Also, aren't these cars all pre-production models? I dunno, but yea, that front is still ugly as hell. I don't care how effective it is; it hurts my eyes!

Also, what was the mileage on the car? Brakes sometimes work better with more mileage tacked on vs. brand new. Too many factors to start deciding. I'm waiting for C&D and Motor Trend to test one out, or take it over a 40k test, that gives real-world numbers.
    From the South- Windsor
    Windsor Mazda Service Advisor
    2007 Mazdaspeed3-SOLD
    2012 MS3 CWP- SOLD but not forgotten
    2016 SWP Mazda6 GT 6-MT- DAILY

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey look everybody, its Rocky the flying squirrel!!!

Photographer for Street Concepts online magazine
    Kaption Audio show team
    The Lowerclass

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i like the interior of the vehicle, the outside not so much. I think that the mazda that I have now will probebly be my first and last, I would buy a 09 speed 3 but I never buy used so thats pretty much out of the question, maybe the next gen RX8 will be a huge upgrade over the current car, the 11 Hp increase of the new mazda 3 2.5L is nothing... subaru introuced their new sti and wrx and sti in 07 and 08 i think and in 1 year they added 22 Hp to the engine, thats very impressive considering the cars only been in production for a year or 2 verus 4-6 years, also the new subaru has a stiffer suspension for 09 too now, it costs more then the mazda 3 no questions their but allot more bang for the back in 09

Ride
    2016 Subaru WRX
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree the subtle upgrades and he horrible front-end dont make me jump out of my seat and want to buy one. I am actually alot happier now owning the previous gen to be honest. Of all the potential the Mazda could have had, they killed it with the 2010. I will still take it for a test drive most likely, but im already confident i will never buy one. As mentioned, here's hoping the next RX8 has some tricks up it's sleeve

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was looking forward to turning in my 3 for a 2010 until the pics came out! My 2nd choice was the Speed3, what to do Hmmm!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Malcolm991 View Post
    I was looking forward to turning in my 3 for a 2010 until the pics came out! My 2nd choice was the Speed3, what to do Hmmm!
    Get a Speed3, end of story.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Interesting, didn't realize that hideous front bumper had some function to it. Still an eye sore.
    Thanks for the post.
    Diesel tractor...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our lease comes up in January 2011, Hmmm...Perhaps, Not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 5_Alive View Post
    Get a Speed3, end of story.
    +1

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a 2009 or speed 3 or if u have the money the new wrx, night and day diffrence, its as powefull as the speed 3 with a shit load of more features ,better quality and premanent AWD, i'll probebly keep this car untill the next generation subaru wrx comes out,

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdas3sporte View Post
    i like the interior of the vehicle, the outside not so much. I think that the mazda that I have now will probebly be my first and last, I would buy a 09 speed 3 but I never buy used so thats pretty much out of the question, maybe the next gen RX8 will be a huge upgrade over the current car, the 11 Hp increase of the new mazda 3 2.5L is nothing... subaru introuced their new sti and wrx and sti in 07 and 08 i think and in 1 year they added 22 Hp to the engine, thats very impressive considering the cars only been in production for a year or 2 verus 4-6 years, also the new subaru has a stiffer suspension for 09 too now, it costs more then the mazda 3 no questions their but allot more bang for the back in 09
    Although I commend Subaru for stepping up with their '09 WRX, the only reason they did that was that in '08 they killed the soul of the WRX with the new generation of car. So many enthusiasts spoke out about the crappier handling and lack of power Subaru responded with the upgrades you see for '09.

Who knows if Mazda will listen to the opinions being voiced about the new 3. (I personally hope they don't lol.)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The upgrades on the WRX are only an option too. You can get the standard WRX or the new WRX265.
    VG | MAZDASPEED | RACING HART | SIMOTA | EIBACH | DUNLOP | SOK07 | RACING BEAT | HAWK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

But we can't stop staring at the Mazda 3's grille. It's hideous.
    HA-FREAKING-HA!!! Best line of the whole review.
    Mazda 3 GT 2008, Sunlight Silver

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

get a 2009 or speed 3 or if u have the money the new wrx, night and day diffrence, its as powefull as the speed 3 with a shit load of more features ,better quality and premanent awd, i'll probebly keep this car untill the next generation subaru wrx comes out,

^^^^^
    +1

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Habs_Go View Post
    HA-FREAKING-HA!!! Best line of the whole review.
    I wonder when Mazda would modify the grill (at least make it slightly less ugly) in a mid-cycle refresh.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i doubt they would change it halfway. they seem to be proud of the new changes like drag coefficient since most consumers worry about their milage. I'm still waiting to see these on the road and see how they look instead of just in pictures.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Busdriver View Post
    i doubt they would change it halfway. they seem to be proud of the new changes like drag coefficient since most consumers worry about their milage. I'm still waiting to see these on the road and see how they look instead of just in pictures.
    who knows, they may change it if sales are lagging, fuel consumption be damned!!!

Plenty of people bought the current generation Mazda3 despite the fact that the fuel consumption on this car is underwhelming at best.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the video they say that Mazda 'redesigned' the braking system but I read in the Toronto Star review (by Jim Kenzie a few weeks back) that they didn't touch the brakes because they were so good on the current gen...

Nice video though - me likes eye candy. Good find!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I watched the video again, and actually the rear resembles more of a lancer/subaru look to it. Starting to grow on me.

The front on the other hand, really I need convincing to see it for myself.

but in the video it resembles a peugot....

v4 2.5L!!!!! similar to the mazda6 engine... dang!!!

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i hated the look of the new subaru wrx and sti but then i actually went to a dealer and sat in one and pretended i wanted to buy one.. u can not even compare a speed 3 to the sti lol, thats all iam going to say, if u have the money go for wrx or sti... wait 1-2 more years and the lease and finance rates will gradully drop as with all new cars

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dumpbear View Post
    In the video they say that Mazda 'redesigned' the braking system but I read in the Toronto Star review (by Jim Kenzie a few weeks back) that they didn't touch the brakes because they were so good on the current gen...

Nice video though - me likes eye candy. Good find!
    I wonder if the brakes will still have the built in early morning screeching or have they corrected them in the more recent models ..?

2005 GT GFX AUTO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

God isnt that just horrible? Backed out of my garage the other day and got looks when I was doing so Even my daughter was grimacing

One can wake up the dead with those noisy brakes

Ride
    Ralliart
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazda lover View Post
    I wonder if the brakes will still have the built in early morning screeching or have they corrected them in the more recent models ..?

2005 GT GFX AUTO
    I believe all performance break pads screech when cold, so its not a "problem", you could choose to get basic pads..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Performance Brake pads??? On a Economy car?? Sorry dont mean to be nasty, well you get the point right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast