Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default power steering on Mazda 3 on and off

Hello Everyone

i have a 2007 mazda 3 that we bought used. The car was fine when we tested it and when we got the car facts everything showed it was clean no accidents. Recently the power steering started giving me problems. I started the car once and the power steering was completely gone and the light was on the dash indicating it was the power steering. Then a little later it began working. This has been going on for a month now where it will work and then not work for periods of time.

I brought it in to Mazda thinking it was under warranty and they told me it was not because the car had been in a bad accident and written off. Surprising to me since when checking everything came up clear and on the ownership it did not have any indication of slavage.

Any advice or tips on this matter are greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.
    Last edited by Cardinal Fang; 01-03-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Corrected thread title

Resident Deal Provider, UnHaggle Rep, CarCostCanada, EasyCarDiscount
    Ride
    2017 CX-5 GT w/ Tech
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    117 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: power steering on Mazda 3 on and off

Quote Originally Posted by bg03ly View Post

I brought it in to Mazda thinking it was under warranty and they told me it was not because the car had been in a bad accident and written off. Surprising to me since when checking everything came up clear and on the ownership it did not have any indication of slavage.

Thank you in advance.
    Shoot me the VIN, and I will see what comes up in Mazdas system.

Which dealer did you bring it to?

As for showing up on the ownership, it would say at the very top "BRAND - REBUILD.. or SALVAGE or PWNED" something like that.
    Damn you photobucket.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bg03ly View Post
    Hello Everyone

i have a 2007 mazda 3 that we bought used. The car was fine when we tested it and when we got the car facts everything showed it was clean no accidents. Recently the power steering started giving me problems. I started the car once and the power steering was completely gone and the light was on the dash indicating it was the power steering. Then a little later it began working. This has been going on for a month now where it will work and then not work for periods of time.

Thank you in advance.

did you do a "car proof" or "car fax" search? car proof appears to work better for Canadian resale cars, see their web sites. where was the car from? outside the province? If the car was in a accident and salvaged go after the person or dealer who sold you the car.
    if you ment car fax and not car facts go after them for not giving you a proper report...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi there,

I have a 2007 Mazda3 sedan that has started showing the power steering light a few months ago. It has now happened 4 times while driving on a busy highway. I phoned Mazda where I purchased the car and asked if this was normal? They said "no, bring it in for an inspection". They've now had my car for 1 week, as they need to replace something that they weren't to specific about,, I think it was the power steering pump. They gave me a 2010 Mazda3 rental until this gets fixed, all under warantee. The manual does instruct how to turn off the warning light and clear the power steering failure. This worked for me, but when it happened 4 times, I felt something was really wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enzocat View Post
    Hi there,

I have a 2007 Mazda3 sedan that has started showing the power steering light a few months ago. It has now happened 4 times while driving on a busy highway. I phoned Mazda where I purchased the car and asked if this was normal? They said "no, bring it in for an inspection". They've now had my car for 1 week, as they need to replace something that they weren't to specific about,, I think it was the power steering pump. They gave me a 2010 Mazda3 rental until this gets fixed, all under warantee. The manual does instruct how to turn off the warning light and clear the power steering failure. This worked for me, but when it happened 4 times, I felt something was really wrong.
    welcome to the club enzocat.
    thanks for searching as well =)
    many members have had this problem.
    hopefully this problem doesn't happen again for you

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Enzocat View Post
    Hi there,

how was the Hiway driving with no power steering ?
    it happens to me in city.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an 08.5... I've had it since September, and just today, backing up into a drive way, my power steering turned off... restarted the car and it was fine, backed up into my own driveway and it turned off again, I may have to call the dealer and see what the problem is.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by STeeLy View Post
    I may have to call the dealer and see what the problem is.
    It's covered under warranty.... a lot of people have had this happen unfortunately

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...power+steering

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Angry Re: power steering on Mazda 3 on and off

Mine just did this for the first time last friday. Unfortunately, I drive a lot, and I've put 43,000 miles on my car (I'm in the U.S.) since I bought it less than two years ago.

I think I'm going to replace the fluid in it and see if that helps, it only happened once so far. Since I'm past the 36,000 mile warranty, the dealer is going to charge me $650 for the part, and a few hundred more for the labor They even admit that these fail all the time.

Anyone know how hard it is to change one of these pumps? Or where I can buy one cheaper than the dealer? I'll go at it myself if I can...

Thanks!

-Mike

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car is at approx 51K and bought Dec 2007. The power steering kicked out on me once while I was in 30+C weather(40C with humidex) on the DVP at a crawling pace... It freaked me out since the steering wheel got so stiff.. It didn't occur to me at the time to turn my engine off and on again until after I got off the highway and everything went back to normal..Since then it's never gone off on me again.*knock on wood*

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ericssonfan View Post
    My car is at approx 51K and bought Dec 2007. The power steering kicked out on me once while I was in 30+C weather(40C with humidex) on the DVP at a crawling pace... It freaked me out since the steering wheel got so stiff.. It didn't occur to me at the time to turn my engine off and on again until after I got off the highway and everything went back to normal..Since then it's never gone off on me again.*knock on wood*
    I was driving to Washington DC this past long weekend and it happened to me at the border. I turned off the car and turned it back on and everything went back to normal but there was a grinding noise that keeps coming intermittently. I'm going to get this taken looked at. Car is only a year old.

shieza....
    :Traded in - 2009 Mazda 3 GT Hatch:Galaxy Grey:Fujita CAI:TM3 Cluster Decal on REAR windsheild:18" ZEN Wheels Black with a Red Stripe: 35% Tint All around: Rear Step plate: Color Matched eye-lids: Flip-Key

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSB: 06-002/09

2007-2009 MAZDA3 AND 2007-2009 MAZDA5 - HEAVY STEERING EFFORT WITH POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON AND DTC C1099

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 Mazda3 vehicles (NOT including Mazdaspeed3) with VINs below (produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
    2007-2008 JM1BK****** 742201 - 880507
    2008-2009 JM1BK****** 100002 - 251982
    2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with VINS JM1CR***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
    DESCRIPTION

Some customers may feel that the steering effort is hard or heavy with power steering malfunction indicator lamp illumination and DTC C1099 [ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST STEERING (EHPAS)] stored in memory. This problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed. The system then goes into a fail safe function.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE OUTLINE

1. Verify customer concern.
    2. Clean the steering gear box by flushing all fluid lines with 10 quarts of fluid.
    3. Remove the electric power steering oil pump assembly (A) and pipe assembly (B).
    4. Replace the power steering oil pump unit (shaded part of A) on the pump assembly with oil pump kit.
    5. Install the repaired power steering oil pump assembly and new pipe assembly.
    6. Fill the pump reservoir with ATF MIII and remove air from the line.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem last week. I immediately called my dealership because I bought the extended warranty. They checked it out and determined that I needed the power steering kit. Apparently there is a problem with some Mazda 3's but it isn't widespread enough for them to consider a recall. They ordered the kit and fixed my car up in a couple of days. I own a 2008 Mazda 3.
    2008.5 Metro Grey GS Sedan
    Mods: Shark Fn Antenna, Compustar Alarm + Remote Start, Side Skirts, Aluminum Foot Pedals, 23% Tint, HID Headlights, LED Brake Light, HID Fogs, Angel Eyes, LED Tail Lights, LED Reflectors, LED Side Markers, Kenwood DNX 6160, Removed Side Mouldings, Eibach Prokits, Koni Yellows, LED Interior Lights, Borla Muffler, Magnaflow Exhaust Tip, Injen Cold Air Intake, Painted Interior Dash Trim, Open Mouth Grill, Eyelids, Magnum Cross Drilled Rotors, Hawk HPS Pads, DOMO!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just had mine done today, no issues, took about 1.5 hours
    2008 Galaxy Grey sedan - 20% tints all around - PRM CAI - Vibrant cat-back - Megan Racing Springs - TWM Short Shifter - 6000k hid's - Orion HP12D2 12" Subwoofer - Pioneer GM-D8500M

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greg_di View Post
    just had mine done today, no issues, took about 1.5 hours
    Which dealership did you go to? I have the exact same problem and want to go somewhere where they know how to fix it with minimal problems

Thanks

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My power steering on my 2008 Mazda 3 failed today while I was in Newmarket. I called the Mazda roadside assistance, and they towed my car to the nearest dealership which was Dave Woods Mazda. Unfortunately, the part they need is on back order for 3 weeks, and I'm now driving a rental car for the time being (at Mazda's expense).
    If you are taking your car in and have the liberty to call around, try finding someone who can get the part sooner.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You wouldn't happen to be driving a PT cruiser as a rental by chance would ya?
    |-----> Roof Rack <-----| Thule Base Rack - Rocky Mounts Bike Tray - Thule Ski Holder
    2007 GT Sedan 5spd CWP | Rays Mazdaspeed Wheels | Tri-Point Engineering Rear Swaybar
    SPC Camber Links | Bilstein Coilovers | Tint | LED Brake

Sponsor

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Parts are back ordered everywhere. I think the part that is back ordered is the powersteering hose. The pump i believe they have enough but the hose they are lack of. Were still waiting for our shipment to come and lots of customers dropped there car off and drove home a rental.
    2010 Subaru STI

Mods:
    Not enough room to list

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I took my mazda in on Friday and sure enough they have to replace the pump and lines for the power steering. Told me parts are on back order, gave me a corolla as a rental and said I should have my car back within 7-10 days. Based on the timeframes everyone else here is getting i'm not holding my breath. I miss my car sooo bad

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah folks, just happened to me today as well. Pretty freaky as turning the wheel was like hauling an anchor. Gonna go to the dealership to get it fixed on the weekend. My mail dealership is Dufferin (Yorkdale) Mazda. Any recomendations as to who would have faster service?
    2007 Mazda 3 sport GT - Galaxy Grey

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What amazes me is the frequency with which this has been occurring on the Mazda3 and the lack of a recall by Mazda Canada. Two weeks ago I was talking to a car rental outfit near a Mazda dealership and it left me thinking that Mazda is simply waiting for people to be killed in accidents before they do a recall. He said that in the past month or two he had received about a dozen customers from the dealer to supply loaner vehicles. Of those, 8 to 10 of them were for the same problem. Kind of a Ford Pinto flashback except I thought the auto industry had learned from the Pinto and how to deal with significant issues.

The failure happened to us twice over the past couple of months - once to me and once to my wife. I took it in this week for repair. No real questions asked as the Dealer knew what the issue was. They did the work as described earlier in the thread very quickly, I just hope the fix is long lasting. I think for the most part we have been lucky, I have a pretty good idea what would have happened to my wife if the power went while she was driving on the highway.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This happened to my daughter just yesterday. She has an 08 Mazda3 and the power steering went out and the engine shut down in the middle of an intersection in LasVegas. She called me crying and freaking out afraid they were going to get hit. The police came and pushed the car to the side of the road. She got in touch with Mazda and they finally sent a tow truck and towed her to the nearest dealership in Henderson, NV. Unfortunately, the service department doesn't open until Monday and they refused to give her a rental. Luckily we have family there so they were able to pick her up from the dealer. I'm sure I'm going to have to pay for this because the warranty has expired and it's not a "recall"...yet and I have absolutely no idea how much this is going to cost!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

According to this website:
    http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...orAuthority%29

"The woes of electric-assist power steering keep mounting. Cases in point: The 2007-2009 Mazda3 and 2003-2005 BMW Z4. The NHTSA today announced an investigation into both cars, with a combined 140 incidents and four crashes between them due to a loss of power steering."

I think people with power steering problem should have a good chance getting fix from Mazda Canada.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty repair Mazda should cover everything, if they don't, light them up in the media, or on here..............

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

please delete
    Last edited by TheMAN; 12-16-2010 at 12:15 AM.
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)