- Phillips screw driver
    - Flathead screw driver
    - Flashlight
    - Side-cutters
    - Pliers

Approximate time required for installation:
    - 60 min or less

Install
    1. You got to remove both driver and passenger side inside kick panels. In addition the passenger outside kick panel.
    (you can do this without taking off the side sills. If not, side sills are held in place with 3 pressure fittings and is removed by carefully pulling straight up)
    Use your nails or a small flat head screw driver and pop the center then the holder will come out. There are no pressure clips holding the panels in place, and should come out quite easily. Set the 3 panels aside.

2. Remove the glove box.
    a. Remove the dash strip.
    Pull on the right side of the headunit, you'll feel a small notch you can get two figures into. Pull straight towards the back of the car until the clips are released.
    The far right side is held in with a hook, where the rest of the strips is by three pressure clips. One on the far left, and two above the glove box.

b. Remove the two screws for the glove box

c. Pull the glove box out

Pull straight towards yourself if your sitting in the passenger seat. There is a big pressure clip on the right side where the kick panel was. Don't pull to far out, the glove box light is still attached. Use a Phillips screw driver to remove the one screw, then take off the light assembly. Now set the glove box aside.

3. Take off the passenger air duct

The gray holder is removed the same as the kick panels. It will pretty much fall into your hands. The left side is held in place by foam and a small lip, so pull slightly to the right if it doesn't come off on its own.

4. Get the drivers side light across the HVAC unit.
    By using a wire or stick of some sort. The drivers side light is the longer wired light.

5. Finding the wires.
    When looking at the PBJ, you don't want this wire loom. There are a different set of matching coloured wires in this loom but aren't connected to the interior lighting.

Look under the PBJ, you'll see a black cover. Forgot the picture, but you'll notice two pressure clips. Press with your thumb while slightly pulling.
    You'll be presented with three plugs. Here's the one we want.

To make things easier, you can remove it by pressing the two clips on either side with your fingers. The black cover will hinge down and the plug can be pulled off.

6. Making the connections.
    Thank you to yearoftherat for specifying the coloured wires to use, I confirmed in my 2007 Repair Bible wiring guide.
    Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    There is a red w/silver that has a built in fuse which is the power wire. This will tap the orange w/blue wire
    There is a black w/silver which is the ground wire. This will tap blk w/ blue wire.
    I cut the first taped part closest to the plug. This allowed me to get more slack in the wires to make the taps. Cleaned up the wires with a zip tie where the tape was.

Reinstall the plug opposite of removal. As you hinge the cover the plug will fully seat. The foot well lights should illuminate now.
    If your doing this in a cold environment, place one of the sticky pads in the kit into your front pocket or in a warm place. We'll get to it later.

7. Installing the passenger side.
    The light cover is held with three small hooks which you press in slightly and pull up/off. Once the cover is off, you need to use the longest zip tie (black in the kit) and assemble as shown. There are two pairs of slits that are the length of the light and across, you want the ones which go with the direction of the wire.

Note: The hoop side is the bottom of the light, the smooth side.

Route the light along the bottom of the PBJ and on the inside of the round support frame. Then zip tie the light up. But not to tight.

I forgot the picture, but use one of the gray wire holders and stick it to a smooth part on the bottom side of the PBJ. This will hold the wire up and out of the way.

Reinstall the passenger duct, opposite of removal. Now position the light as shown.

Reinstall the black PBJ cover opposite of removal.
    Reinstall the glove box opposite of removal. Note put the glove box in first before the passenger outside kick panel is installed.

8. Installing the drivers side.
    Note the location in the picture.

Make sure the area is clean. Take one of the sticky pads and stick it onto the bottom of the light. Then remove the other side of the pad and press the light firmly into the flat spot.

The picture was take post install of the kick panel but it keeps the wire up and out of the way of your foot. This is extremely important as it will be a hazard if the wire is left loose. Tuck the excess wire under the HVAC unit.
    If you wish, you can zip tie the wire up in behind the console, for an extra measure of security.

9. Clean up mess and tools. Then enjoy the new footwell lights.

High resolution photos available in the flickr set. HERE
    Diesel tractor...

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: OEM Footwell Lights

Nice write up !! This should be stickied!!!
    Also for those interested, the bulb is replaceable (#74) and can be replaced with a LED one
    Just waiting for pics of the lights when they come on @ night time.
    Last edited by yearoftherat; 01-24-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added info

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

stickied
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you go from the drivers side to the passengars side? Thats what I'm confused about and how do you dry the plastic open? Just use shear force and pull it out?
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Technically there isn't anything you need to do on the drivers side besides getting the light over and sticking it up. Everything is done from the passenger side.
    Could you rephrase about the plastic piece your asking about?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gizzmo_jr View Post
    Technically there isn't anything you need to do on the drivers side besides getting the light over and sticking it up. Everything is done from the passenger side.
    Could you rephrase about the plastic piece your asking about?
    Yes how do you get it over is my question. The plastic peice I'm reffering to is the cap which holds the bulb. Would it be possible to hook this to the cigar lighter and then route it to a switch?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both lights are powered by the same source. The drivers side light goes in behind the center console (HVAC, hot/cold air controls). If you remove the inside kick panels, you'll see exactly as shown in step #4.

For your question about power and a switch, theoretically you can find any 12v source and do it that route. So yes would be the answer, but I can't find a time that I'd need the light to be on aside from when the interior lights are on. And if I do, I have my LED cigarette light for occasions like that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both lights are powered by the same source. The drivers side light goes in behind the center console (HVAC, hot/cold air controls). If you remove the inside kick panels, you'll see exactly as shown in step #4.

For your question about power and a switch, theoretically you can find any 12v source and do it that route. So yes would be the answer, but I can't find a time that I'd need the light to be on aside from when the interior lights are on. And if I do, I have my LED cigarette light for occasions like that.
    Interesting...hmm your instructions say the covers are held by 3 clamps. Did you use your fingers to pry it out? Also it was not mentioned but is this hooked to the dimmer? I am planning on getting door pocket illumination and finding a way to hook that into the dimmer.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, if you wire into the exact wires specified, you'll get onto the interior light dimmer sequence. Fade and all.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the plastic cover, you need to depress the 3 hooks to get it off. One by one, depress the hook inwards with something as you gently lift. It will rest with the hook not in place as you do the others.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About the plastic cover, you need to depress the 3 hooks to get it off. One by one, depress the hook inwards with something as you gently lift. It will rest with the hook not in place as you do the others.
    gently...hmmm....I'll try that tomorrow. Gizmo..your still up??! I thouguht I was a nightowl...

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally installed them today. Thx to Gizzmo_jr for the walk thru. Here's a few pics @ nite.
    The driver side is brighter due to the placement of the lamp compared to the passenger side.
    Pics were taken @ f2.8 @ 1/6 sec.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One of the best write up's I've seen yet. Clear and well illustrated.

2006 Copper Red Mazda3 GT Sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice night time shots. I'd add them in if I could.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Are those the OEM lights? That looks nice!! Do you see them lit if you were looking from them out from the outside?

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes..OEM ftw.
    With a tint on my windows, its a bit hard to see from the outside.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes..OEM ftw.
    With a tint on my windows, its a bit hard to see from the outside.
    Did you wire it to your dimmer or only when you open your door?

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't know how to hook it up to the dimmer switch nor would I want to. I wanted to keep it OEM installed.
    Last edited by yearoftherat; 02-14-2009 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Added info

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't know how to hook it up to the dimmer switch nor would I want to. I wanted to keep it OEM installed.
    So it lights up all the time when the car is on or when you power on your headlights?

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Neither. They go on just like dome light/map lights when you unlock the door via remote or open the door. Thats the wires you are splicing into during the installation.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Footwell wiring options

Simple question..

I have ran my wiring for my footwell lights, i need to tap the maps now

It is my understanding if i tap the map light connection, footwell lighting will come on when doors are open/closed (just like lighted sills)

Issue

When the doors are closed and i hit the map light button, i want my footwell lights to come on aswell. I'm debating where to place the wiring. I want it automatic so i'm not looking to install a manual switch anywhere.

I was thinking maybe the best way to do it would be to solder the wires from the footwell directly to the map light circuit board

so the footwell light would would have a live, and ground wire, but the ground would be split into 2 so that i would end up with 3 wires which can then be soldered directly into the map circuit board.

Ideas, thoughts?
    2008.5 Mazda3 Black Mica GS Sedan- Injen RD6061 CAI - Koni Yellows - Eibach Prokits - SPC Rear Camber Kit - Tenzo Type M 18x8 Powdercoated Bronze - Yokohama S.Drives 225/40/18 - Rolled Fenders - Rear Flares - Gforce Strut Bar - Prolumen 6000K - 3000k HID Fogs - Speedline Wide Angle Blue/LED Side Mirrors - LED Interior - Eyelids - LED 3rd Brake Light/Sidemarkers - LED Reflectors -LED Footwell/Trunk/Cup Holder Lighting - Solar Guard 28% Tints All Round - VG Sharkfin - Borla Catback - 07+ GS Lip - Eyelids - Sideskirt Extensions - Aluminium Pedals - Sickspeed Horns - Kenwood - Alpine - SPL -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Footwell wiring options

I haven't tried this yet, but it is my understanding that this should work. I have posted my sources too:

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...6&postcount=29
    2004 Mazda3 GT Sport. Sunlight Silver. Blacked out Emblems. Painted Calipers with Mazda decals. CAI. Custom Catback Exhaust with Sabre Muffler. Lowered on Pro-Kits. VTSC Delete. GPS. Sirius. Clean Install of D+P.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh i missed that thread in my search!

thanks..

It makes sense, but i'm not looking to add a dimer or switch between the constant ground line..

So in essence i need to figure out where to tap the constant ground AFTER it has passed through the map light switch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omalak View Post
    I was thinking maybe the best way to do it would be to solder the wires from the footwell directly to the map light circuit board

so the footwell light would would have a live, and ground wire, but the ground would be split into 2 so that i would end up with 3 wires which can then be soldered directly into the map circuit board
    The would pretty much work. Not sure why you want two ground wires. Basically, you want to put the footwell lights in parallel to the maplight bulbs.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if i wire it direct to the circuit board, i am assuming the circuit board will have solder points for Interrupted ground/Constant Ground/Live 12V

I would have to make sure i can wire the led strip to each of those points or i wouldnt get the functionality i want

1) on when door open/close
    2) on when i hit map light button)

If i wire it directly to the map curcuit i will put in some sort of molex connector connection so that i can still fully remove the maplight housing..

I just want to know the cost of the unit (with sunroof controls) in case i screw up the housing haha

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast