Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How To: OEM Footwell Lights

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Footwell wiring options

What I would do is tap the constant ground going to the maplight housing and tap a switch and the footwells there, and put a switch in that spot by your left knee. That way if you leave the maplight switch constantly on, you could control both the maplights and footlights with the one switch by your knee.

You would also have to tap the footwells into the interrupted ground as well.
    2004 Mazda3 GT Sport. Sunlight Silver. Blacked out Emblems. Painted Calipers with Mazda decals. CAI. Custom Catback Exhaust with Sabre Muffler. Lowered on Pro-Kits. VTSC Delete. GPS. Sirius. Clean Install of D+P.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omalak View Post
    Well if i wire it direct to the circuit board, i am assuming the circuit board will have solder points for Interrupted ground/Constant Ground/Live 12V

I would have to make sure i can wire the led strip to each of those points or i wouldnt get the functionality i want

1) on when door open/close
    2) on when i hit map light button)
    I can check the wiring in the wiring manual for you -- I don't recall the connections off the top of my head. But you really should only need to pick off the +12V and the ground from the bulbs. If you do run two grounds separately, you will need to diode isolate them (the map light has the diodes built into it).
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Noisy Crow View Post
    I can check the wiring in the wiring manual for you -- I don't recall the connections off the top of my head. But you really should only need to pick off the +12V and the ground from the bulbs. If you do run two grounds separately, you will need to diode isolate them (the map light has the diodes built into it).
    Thanks Rick, i'd appreciate it if you could check up the diagram, and post it maybe if you ahve a digital copy

Picking off the ground and 12v from the area close to the bulb sucket seems like a much more simple idea, maybe that is the route i should take
    2008.5 Mazda3 Black Mica GS Sedan- Injen RD6061 CAI - Koni Yellows - Eibach Prokits - SPC Rear Camber Kit - Tenzo Type M 18x8 Powdercoated Bronze - Yokohama S.Drives 225/40/18 - Rolled Fenders - Rear Flares - Gforce Strut Bar - Prolumen 6000K - 3000k HID Fogs - Speedline Wide Angle Blue/LED Side Mirrors - LED Interior - Eyelids - LED 3rd Brake Light/Sidemarkers - LED Reflectors -LED Footwell/Trunk/Cup Holder Lighting - Solar Guard 28% Tints All Round - VG Sharkfin - Borla Catback - 07+ GS Lip - Eyelids - Sideskirt Extensions - Aluminium Pedals - Sickspeed Horns - Kenwood - Alpine - SPL -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, it does look the best way to achieve what you are after is to pick the -ve off of the bulbs. The +ve you can get anywhere. It's the -ve that is switched. I am assuming that the drivers map light will feed the drivers foot well, similar for the passengers. Note the wiring for the Map Lights runs up the C-pillar and they across the roof to the front of the car, with a detour through the central dome light.

See here:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: How To: OEM Footwell Lights

looks pretty simple...might have to do that myself

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tried doing it Gizzmo's way and for some reason I couldn't get it to work. Maybe the wire colourings are different for an 04? I ended up just tapping it into the black/red and orange/green wires up by the maplights. Works fine now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

odd, maybe the maybe the instrumentation wire section is different. I only have the wiring diagrams for my 07.
    Diesel tractor...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I finally installed my foot lamps yesterday after waiting to buy the mazda ipod kit. Installed both at the same time since I already have the dash apart.

I went ahead and wrote my version of the how-to also. It follows the original Japanese instructions as much as possible in order for it to be "OEM". Please look at it also as an alternate source of information:
    http://www.protegefaq.net/BKfootlamp/
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just have a quick question regarding this modification. I am not installing footwell lamps but rather puddle lights for the side mirrors. Now I have my grounds grounded elsewhere in the car and just the positive for the lights connected to the Orange/blue wire. Now the lights stay on regardless of the if the door is open etc. So is there something special with having the ground go to black/blue so that it only comes on when you open the door? I am assuming from the wiring diagram posted above that there is a switch for the ground?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Trinidad View Post
    I just have a quick question regarding this modification. I am not installing footwell lamps but rather puddle lights for the side mirrors. Now I have my grounds grounded elsewhere in the car and just the positive for the lights connected to the Orange/blue wire. Now the lights stay on regardless of the if the door is open etc. So is there something special with having the ground go to black/blue so that it only comes on when you open the door? I am assuming from the wiring diagram posted above that there is a switch for the ground?

For the map lights, it's the ground that is switched, not the +ve. And the OEM footwell lights connect to the map light wiring.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks NC. I knew it was something simple, guess I have to re route my negatives to the black/blue wire.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is this for the 2007? anyone have info on 2010 mazda 3? i know it may be similar i just want pictures and im really carefull about how to do it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

same question if same for 2010 mazda sport

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This was written from an 07. I don't know forsure if it applies to the 2010s

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Popped over from another Mazda3 forum after being bitten by the Interior light bug and found this how-to.I have little electrical knowledge and a fair bit of Automotive knowledge (general repair).I was planning on running the wires off the Dome light as it will be Blue LED as well as the footlight LED strips and activated when the doors are opened or unlocked by remote.Maplights will be brighter White LED and will only be activated manually when needed.

A couple questions

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    Neither. They go on just like dome light/map lights when you unlock the door via remote or open the door. Thats the wires you are splicing into during the installation.
    So will splicing the wires as described allow the footlights and domelight to work as desired or am I dreaming it can be that simple and I'm gonna have to have the Map lights activated too?

I really would prefer not to have to run wires from the dome light and tear apart my interior to get this to work.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Since I can't seem to edit my previous post to add this question.

Originally Posted by yearoftherat
    There is a red w/silver that has a built in fuse which is the power wire. This will tap the orange w/blue wire
    There is a black w/silver which is the ground wire. This will tap blk w/ blue wire.

I'm not exactly sure what this means ,other than the Power wire is red-w/silver and the ground is black-w/silver .
    do I tap those wires or do I need to tap the orange-w/blue one and the blk-w/blue one? or since that quote seems to be from another thread somewhere are these "This will tap the orange w/blue wire" and "This will tap blk w/ blue wire." simply referring to a different project?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thx man, giving it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    I finally installed my foot lamps yesterday after waiting to buy the mazda ipod kit. Installed both at the same time since I already have the dash apart.

I went ahead and wrote my version of the how-to also. It follows the original Japanese instructions as much as possible in order for it to be "OEM". Please look at it also as an alternate source of information:
    http://www.protegefaq.net/BKfootlamp/

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried to install it with a 74 LED but the 1 amp fuse that came with it blew along with the wiring being abit hot. Has anyone tried to install this with LEDs?
    2008.5 Metropolitan Grey Mica Mazda 3 GT Hatch with Luxury Package DONE: OEM LED Side Mirror Turn Signals | TM3 Decals / Plates | Axela Badge | 3M Scotchguard Film on Front Hood / Fenders | Solarguard Quantum Tints 37% Front 28% Back | Flipkey | JDM Rainguards | MS3 Rear Valence | Super White LED Interior / Trunk / License Plate Lights | Smoked LED Sidermarkers | Powdercoated Blue 18" OZ Ultraleggera Rims | Michelin Pilot Sport AS3 | Blue Calipers with Gunmetal Axela Decals | HID 6000K/3000K with Yellow Film Fogs | Hella Tones | Rally Armor Mudflaps | Powdercoated Gunmetal Xenon Expert Aluminum Pedals | Clear Reflectors | Carbon Fibre Rear Emblem Insert | Redline Elite Hood Lifts | CP-E Tow Plate | Her: 2012 Sky Blue Mica Mazda 3 GS

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you did something wrong then because it shouldn't have done that
    but I don't see a reason using LEDs because the lights won't fade out gradually when you close the doors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 to that. LED's don't do PWM very well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it was tested with a 12V drill battery so I didn't hook it to the PJB to test to see if they work or not.
    Last edited by Ogata; 01-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried with LED's also and kept blowing a fuse. So I put the stock ones back in and no issues since.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by yearoftherat View Post
    I tried with LED's also and kept blowing a fuse. So I put the stock ones back in and no issues since.
    ahhh so I'm not the only one...that means they can't be 74 LEDs?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

was the polarity correct during the attempts?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast