Thread: Installed HID and car shut down

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Installed HID and car shut down

I installed HID to my 2005 Mazda today, weird thing, afterward, my car shut itself down twice while I was driving on the road.. I am not sure if it is related. This is what I did today, connect halo to the parking light, ballast to the headlight harness, foglight to the existing foglight plug inside the bumper (i have not installed the switch yet.. decided to do that some other days).. the light works fine.. but like I said. the car shut itself down while I was driving home.. twice... the car just went silent (all the lights were still on).. origially I thought it was a battery problem, as I disconnected the -ve terminal of the battery while installing the HID and stuff, I thought that I didnt tighten the battery terminal properly.. however, come to think of it, if it is a battery problem, wouldn't the car went dark. I was able to restart the car (the traffic was light on the road) after switching the car off and on again. Can anyone let me know what could be the problem? thanks

Ride
    2015 Nissan Rogue
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Installed HID and car shut down

Reading your post, did you install the HIDs as a replacement for your fogs or low beams? I'm trying to figure out why you installed the halo ballasts to the headlight harness. The halos should be connected directly the battery.
    In regards to the fogs, did you use a relay harness?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Installed HID and car shut down

the halo ring came with the aftermarket headlight housing that I bought from ebay, so I connected to the parking light wires. I installed the HID as a replacement for my low beam. The foglight was connected to the exisitng foglight plug that was inside the bumper

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

some more information, the halo is the CCFL type. I can feel the car vibration when I stopped at the traffic light and stop sign (not all the time, sometimes it came on right after starting the car, sometimes it came on after 5-10 min of driving) Can anyone let me know what could be the problem? or did I do something wrong. *thanks

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sorry, a few extra information: I had this vibration issue even before I did the HID installation, just that afterward, it seems to make it worse.. the battery itself is the original stock one, already 7 yrs old, 40000 miles (64000km))

Thanks
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tubbyc View Post
    sorry, a few extra information: I had this vibration issue even before I did the HID installation, just that afterward, it seems to make it worse.. the battery itself is the original stock one, already 7 yrs old, 40000 miles (64000km))
    i dont think a weak battery should cause the engine to shut off. do you have any problems starting at all? Do all the lights work properly? any CELs or other warnings? i would take it to a mechanic to check it out.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    68 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what you should do is unplug your halo lights and drive around to see if the problem happens again. if your car runs fine without the halo lights then you know the problem is your halos. if it happens to be your halo lights, go over all your wiring again make sure you tapped into the right wires in the right harness.