truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default HTPC and HD Cable Question

Hey Guys,

Some quick questions on my HTPC and Hi Def Cable. I have my new Rogers HD Cable box, and have it hooked to my HTPC. Long story short, I need to relay the audio and video to the PC, and then out to the Receiver/HDMI Switcher.

1) I have Coax cable out of the HD box to the PC. Quality on the HD channels isnt great. is it due to Coax? I am thinking SVideo may be better

2) When watching HD TV, some of the commercials are 4:3 looking. Is this normal?

Thanks Guys!

PS - I am running Coax due to it using audio/video in one. If the SVideo is better I will use it. The Happauge HVR1600 only uses cable or Coax.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: HTPC and HD Cable Question

Your first issue is using coax from the Digital Box to the PC, this will not give you a HD picture, this will give you standard definition and only 480i. You either need to use component, DVI, or HDMI, this is the same for going from your HTPC to your receiver/television.

Yes, when watching HD channels, if the commercial is not HD it will scale down to 4:3 unless you have your TV set to stretch the image.

Your best solution is to just use HDMI from box -> htpc -> receiver as it will carry both your picture and sound, and supply you with a HD image.

Just remember that not every show on a HD channel is actually HD, it has to have been recorded in HD first

Just wondering why you are routing your Digital box through your htpc, do you have dvr software to capture from the box onto your PC?

You could just run your digital box to the receiver and completely bypass the HTPC.
    2008 GMC Canyon Crew Cab SLE 4x4
    KICKER / ALPINE / MTX / STINGER / TSUNAMI

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by midnightfxgt View Post
    Hey Guys,

PS - I am running Coax due to it using audio/video in one. If the SVideo is better I will use it. The Happauge HVR1600 only uses cable or Coax.
    I just googled this and it looks like your also trying to stream the tv on your PC? From looking at the card you have there is no way to get HD to the card, only standard def via the coax.

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yea, I am using the HTPC in order to use DVR functions. Using the S-Video helped a lot! lol

The Capture card is a HVR1600 and only has Coax or S-Video in. Can I not get my HD channels coming in through it, and output in high def???

The only other problem I have in Media Center is trying to figure out the ZOOM.

Thanks
    John

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would actually suggest that instead of using the HD receiver from Rogers, you invest in a component HD TV capture card for your PC. Your PC will never be able to receive full-quality HD TV with a capture card that supports only coaxial or S-Video input. Check out the ATI All-in-Wonder HD for a card that does just about everything you want.

So far Rogers has not broadcast their HD signal with any kind of encryption; meaning you can ditch the HD box (if you're renting it). If they do, you wouldn't be able to receive the signal on your PC. That's one of the downsides.

From your setup above, you won't be able to output HDTV through your PC unless you have a DVI output from a built-in, or add-in graphics card. Nearly all the current-generation graphics cards from ATI and Nvidia include a DVI output (and sometimes a DVI->HDMI converter); the ATI cards have the advantage in that they include a built-in audio processor for audio output via DVI/HDMI.

Edit: The other thing to try is something like the Slingbox, which has standard inputs for your HD TV output box, and can stream your TV over the internet (you can even control what channels you're watching over the 'net).
    There is a theory which states that a billion monkeys pounding on a billion keyboards will eventually produce the works of Shakespeare.

Thanks to the Internet, we now know this theory is wrong.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

fyi, video cards these days do have HDMI out as well as dvi and vga out (on the same card). my sister has one with all 3 outputs.

my friend plugged his into his tv and was able to output at 1080 (not sure if it's p or i).
    Dave

truckin' low
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK... I think I have it all figured out!

Thanks for the idea White Omega. What I am thinking is to grab the ATI All-In-Wonder HD card, and the optional expansion card. This will work I think. The downside is that I need to get right of my ATI 2600XT and Hauppage 1600 HVR.

I dont mind keeping the cable box really. The IR blaster works well and lets me keep the DVR functions, but, right now, no HD content

-John