Thread: Hooking up a subwoofer if using a stock deck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,005 Times in 740 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Post Hooking up a subwoofer if using a stock deck

since i did this for the mazdaforum i may as well do this for TM3 so that people know how to do this... if MOD's can Sticky this pleease
    Seeing as how we have had this question a few times, and that I no longer wanna go through the whole process over and over again, I've decided to give you all instructions on how to do it. Its a process that will take about 1-2 hours depending on how well you want it all to work. I'd advise you to take your time while doing this otherwise it will not work. Okay first you will need the subwoofer, amplifier, wiring kit, extra wiring just in case, and a Line Output Converter (which you can buy at Canadian tire or Future shop or any store that sells car audio equipment.

Now, you will want a philip's screw driver, a crimper, a stripper (not the one you find at a bar), and cutter's. with the screw driver you will first take off the two screws on both sides of the rear doors so that you can take off the whole door panel. Once you have removed the rear door panels you will see two wires from the speaker that will be white and purple and white and pink I believe. You will cut those wires and strip them, now make sure you remember which is positive and which is negative, because not only will your subwoofer not work, but neither will your speaker. Then after all of that you will take the wiring and connect the positive to positive with the speaker wire and same with the negative. Then you will crimp the wires together so that it doesn't get loose when you open and close the door (this happened to me so make sure you do this). Then you will make sure that the wires are lined up to go to the back. make sure you tuck the wires in so nobody can trip on them while getting into your 3. Then once you have done this you will get the LOC (line out converter) and take the wires out. Make sure you attach them to positive-positive, negative-negative as well. Then that is setup. That is one of the trickiest parts to this setup.

Now you will have to setup the power wire and the Remote wire. For the power wire it is pretty basic. From the trunk you will bring your power wire all the way down the passenger side into the engine bay, there is an opening behind the glove box you can bring it through. Once your done that get cut the wire and strip it both ways so that you can put the fuse inside it so that your amp does not fry in the event of a wire getting lose and creating sparks. You will put both the stripped ends of the wiring into the fuse box and tighten it up so it does not go anywhere. After doing this you should either screw it to the firewall or zip tie the wires to the plastic tube at the back of the engine in front of the firewall. Then you will have to disconnect your positive connection to the battery in order to put the power wire connector onto the battery. Make sure that your power wire is not connected to the amp but is stripped. Then place it in the terminal of the positive battery connector and then re-attach the positive connection to the battery.

Now comes the Remote wire. For this i used the cigarette lighter fuse and it works well. You once again will have to bring this up the passenger side as the fuse is underneath the glove box. Take the fuse box cover and look on the map of where all the fuses are and find the one that has the cigarette lighter. Take it out, then wrap the remote wire around the fuse *strip it before you do it* and put the fuse back in. Now we are almost done.

The last step before you set it all up is the ground wire. I used my jack stand as a ground wire and it works really well. Get the ground wire connector piece and put it through the jack stand screw. *take off the jack stand and put it where the spare tire is* Then you screw it on completely and this will be a good ground connection. Now what you do is connect everything up, the LOC will have RCA's so you connect the RCA wire's to the LOC and then to the amp as well. Also with certain LOC's you can change the volume and setting to set how much bass you want. After you have hooked everything up with the right places they are supposed to go, hook up the amp to the subwoofer and you are ready to go. Put back the rear door panel's *by the way make sure you use both rear speakers otherwise it will not work*. then test it out yourself. there are settings on amp's and the LOC so set it to how you like and enjoy.
    Jaimie08mazda3
    Last edited by jaimie08mazda3; 02-05-2009 at 03:04 AM.
    They say I'm an addict but I don't have a problem with alcohol or drugs. I'm an addict because I can't live without bass. Car audio is my addiction. And it will never change.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Hooking up a subwoofer if using a stock deck.

ahhh, my eyes! lollll

Good write up =)
    Too Many Mods To List

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ahhh cmon mannnnn wheres the pics... some people might be illiterate lol jk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by phil05gx View Post
    ahhh cmon mannnnn wheres the pics... some people might be illiterate lol jk
    LIKE MEEE

lol. Good job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

that took me about half an hour to write upp... IF YOU WANT I WILL TAKE PICTURES... jeeez

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes a step by step picture process would be awesome!! I am planning in doing this during the spring/summer time or whenever it gets warmer outside. This will save me a few bucks and at the same time I can learn a few more things about my car so I'm excited to do this. I'm looking forward with your step by step instructions. Thanks again!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Soyabean View Post
    LIKE MEEE

lol. Good job

+1
    Falken FK-452 | 225-45R18 | Konig Hotswap |35% Tints| Greddy TT| Cobb Sri| Cobb Shifter| Cobb AP Stage 2| BC Coilovers | Cobb Shifter Weight| Cobb Inlet Pipe |TS BOV |Dashhawk| COBB FMIC |CPE MM|CPE TBE| NRG ETD|
    STILL TO COME: |Whatever I can get my hands on before she kills me|
    2003 Blue Yamaha R6
    Pazzo shorty levers|Hindle exhaust|flush mount turn signals|Fender eliminator|Smoked windscreen|8000k HID

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice write up Jaimie! I did the same with my Crapalier, but was easier as the rear speakers were up on the rear package tray... A couple things I might suggest:
    1. Solder your connections for a more permanent and reliable connection (as opposed to crimps)
    2. Tap into the cigarette lighter wire, not directly onto the fuse. Wrapping a wire on the fuse (although I am guilty of having done it in the past!) can be a pain, and not as reliable.

Other than that, thats exactly the same way I did mine! Making sure to run my power cables on the opposite side of the factory wiring loom under the carpet. This lessons the chance for interference noise in the stereo.(that annoying hum...)
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT (Titanium Mica) Sold
    2006 Ford Escape XLT (Blazing Copper)

"What about those red balls they have on car aerials so you can spot your car in a park. I think all cars should have them!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jaimie08mazda3 View Post
    since i did this for the mazdaforum i may as well do this for TM3 so that people know how to do this... if MOD's can Sticky this pleease
    Seeing as how we have had this question a few times, and that I no longer wanna go through the whole process over and over again, I've decided to give you all instructions on how to do it.
    A tad long but a great write up! However I don't think it's "Sticky" worthy yet without pics...whats done is done and I won't change it. I am sure everyone appreciates your efforts.

I've never seen a how to thats in the essay format though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    You know you made a bad choice in wheels/colour when aristeidis doesn't even like them!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you forgot to disconnect the (-) battery terminal before you started.
    i still find that it's easier to wire up a loc from behind the deck.
    also if you are going to tap a fuse for the remote wire, pick a terminal designed for that purpose....i can't remember what it's called right now. if you just wrap the wire around the fuse and jam it back in it expands the slot too much and can cause loose connections over time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

for what i did i installed the LOC in the perfect spot so i could use it when i needed to. and i took out my subs and wiring due to the last few days of what happened but very soon i will take pictures and can make a step by step when i install it again. PITA but whatever. I also will be changing my setup soon... once gabgenier decides to give me those 2 10"s then my car will blow up ahaha. but yea pics soon.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For now im using the stock deck temporarily since my deck blew.. Basically

Ive got a converter for the subs. Couldnt i just wire this to the back where the deck is using the stock wires instead of leeching from the doors? I was wondering where my remote would be.. so i know that now. thanks.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

you can do that dante but it will create problems and you gotta figure out which wires they are.. plus the doors arent that difficult. and the remote wire use the cigarette lighter fuse. which is what i used.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what problems we talking about here LOL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

many. if it touches soemthing it can cause a spark and may fry something as i have been told.the rear speakers are the best places to do it because it is the only thing there.. and its not that hard to cover the wires from there. if you want ill come and help you out with it.. its not at all hard just a pain in the ass at times especially with how small the wires can be lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pictures yet? lol... Jaime, feel free to come on over and help me setup mine and we can take pictures! I'll supply the Timmies!
    - Geoff -

2008.5 Metro Grey GT 5 spd w/LP

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

UPDATE!!!!!!!! so on sunday hondaciviceg is getting his system done and as while I am doing this I plan on taking pictures on the step by step process on how to do it. It should go very well and i am very excited about this.. something hands on before i leave on my adventure.. they should be up by sunday night monday morning area.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

UPDATE!!!!!!!! so on sunday hondaciviceg is getting his system done and as while I am doing this I plan on taking pictures on the step by step process on how to do it. It should go very well and i am very excited about this.. something hands on before i leave on my adventure.. they should be up by sunday night monday morning area.
    Nice I am really looking forward to this... I have a sub and two amps waiting to go into my car

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I seriously think Jamie is out of his mind

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Why am I out of my mind? Do you know me.. have you ever done this before?

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok so wheres the pics?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

on my grandma's camera... at home HA lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

on my grandma's camera... at home HA lol
    Can your grandma upload them hahahah

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One suggestion.... If you plan on keeping your stock deck... I would not use a LOC but rather a Re-Q. http://www.crutchfield.com/S-eVBa94G.../MTX-re-Q.html

The problem with a stock deck is that as you increase the volume the bass signal decreases to protect your stock speakers. The Re-Q corrects this issue and also gives you a proper remote turn on. Now the are alot more money wise but worth it if your long term plans are to keep your stock deck.
    2004 Mazda 3 GT 2.3L, Magnaflow 2.5" CBE, Cosmo Racing SRI, Eibach Prokit, Magnum X-drilled Rotors, Strutbar, Cooling Plate, Xenon HID's, 17" RTX Neurotoxins with Nitto Neogen ZR 225/45/17. AUDIO: Exile S1000.1, Mono Amp. Exile S400.4, 4 Channel Amp. Infinity Kappa 60.9CS. 2 Infinity Kappa 102.7w DVC 10". JVC KW-NX7000 DVD/Navigation SECURITY: Compustar 2W8000FM Autostart/Alarm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

any pictures of this setup yet lol, its been months

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast