Thread: Avoiding "Tire Feathering"

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Avoiding "Tire Feathering"

Hi guys,

This might be the stupidest question in the world, but I'll ask it anyway, as I know nothing about tires: How do you avoid tire feathering?

I just sold my 17" rims, and the tires had (what I was told to be) one summer left on them. The person I sold the rims/tires to contacted me, informing me that my tires were "feathered" and therefore, no good. I reimbursed him some cash to make up for the crappy tires, but what the hell's with this "feathering?" I've taken my 3 to Mazda for servicing and to put my snows on, and they never said anything about it. Also, now I've purchased RX-8 rims with new tires, and I'm worrying about them "feathering" too.

The car was purchased used almost exactly one year ago, and went through all the normal certification procedures.

Any tips on how to keep my new tires un-feathered? An alignment after a few weeks, maybe?

Thanks!
    _B L/IN K YOUREYES
    /1 FOR YES
    2 F_OR
    N O

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Avoiding "Tire Feathering"

When was your last alignment? Feathering is simply improper tire wear, generally due to a bad alignment.
    VG | MAZDASPEED | RACING HART | SIMOTA | EIBACH | DUNLOP | SOK07 | RACING BEAT | HAWK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by condor888000 View Post
    When was your last alignment? Feathering is simply improper tire wear, generally due to a bad alignment.
    I assumed that it was all done during the usual 64,000km checkup, which was completed before I bought the car. I've never had any issues with the car wanting to pull in any direction, it tracks completely straight on a flat road.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow for an oil change; I'll ask why the hell the dealership's never said anything about the uneven tire wear.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its your alignment, plain and simple. Feathering won't make you tires completely useless, but may make them noisier than usual. The buyer could have still used them for this summer, contrary to what he was told.
    Last edited by kevcol74; 03-22-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT (Titanium Mica) Sold
    2006 Ford Escape XLT (Blazing Copper)

"What about those red balls they have on car aerials so you can spot your car in a park. I think all cars should have them!" ~ Homer J. Simpson

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Scotticus View Post
    I assumed that it was all done during the usual 64,000km checkup, which was completed before I bought the car. I've never had any issues with the car wanting to pull in any direction, it tracks completely straight on a flat road.

I'm bringing the car in tomorrow for an oil change; I'll ask why the hell the dealership's never said anything about the uneven tire wear.
    Um...checking the alignment isn't part of any Mazda suggested service. It would be an additional expense the dealer may suggest. However, checking tire wear is part of the service.

Just wondering, did you look at the tires after the buyer told you they were feathered?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Um...checking the alignment isn't part of any Mazda suggested service. It would be an additional expense the dealer may suggest. However, checking tire wear is part of the service.

Just wondering, did you look at the tires after the buyer told you they were feathered?

If my alignment was off, wouldn't I notice it in the feel of the car, or in the steering? Damn, I'm going to get an alignment done as soon as I put my new summers on.

As for the tires being feathered, I believe it; they were abnormally loud (which I thought resulted from the performance aspect of the tires, but now I know better), and it was Allen at Simply Tire that told the buyer that the tires were screwed.

Thanks for the help though guys - An alignment's next on the list.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If my alignment was off, wouldn't I notice it in the feel of the car, or in the steering? Damn, I'm going to get an alignment done as soon as I put my new summers on.

As for the tires being feathered, I believe it; they were abnormally loud (which I thought resulted from the performance aspect of the tires, but now I know better), and it was Allen at Simply Tire that told the buyer that the tires were screwed.

Thanks for the help though guys - An alignment's next on the list.
    no. your car can still track with an improper alignment; such as improper toe calibration.

Ride
    Ralliart
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 or bad camber, also why would someone by tires and then call you later saying they are feathering?? Arent you as a buyer should check what you by, before you accept that product and accept it in as is condition.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by x_o_k_x View Post
    +1 or bad camber, also why would someone by tires and then call you later saying they are feathering?? Arent you as a buyer should check what you by, before you accept that product and accept it in as is condition.

I agree 100%, the buyer should have known or not accepted them. "Buyer Beware" comes to mind! Unless you knew him personally (a friend/relative), you had no reason to give them back any money. Especially if you were advised they had life left. Nothing against Allen @ Simply, but he is going to say the tires are no good, that helps him make a sale! Its the same as service advisor "reccomending" certain services for your car that may not be necessary. This guy probably took that as "do it or else"....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have noticed the camber on the rears is a decent amount so his problem may have come from there. If you, or the dealer, didn't rotate the tires properly then this could have caused it. Just a thought....
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rears can required adjustment for a proper alignment too. Feathering happens from poor alignment, front or rear. Even under/over inflated tires cause different wear, not feathering.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just sold my 17" rims, and the tires had (what I was told to be) one summer left on them. The person I sold the rims/tires to contacted me, informing me that my tires were "feathered" and therefore, no good. I reimbursed him some cash to make up for the crappy tires...
    Scotticus, you're a pretty stand up guy to have reimbursed the buyer some money. Kudos to you.

Quote Originally Posted by kevcol74 View Post
    I agree 100%, the buyer should have known or not accepted them. "Buyer Beware" comes to mind! Unless you knew him personally (a friend/relative), you had no reason to give them back any money. Especially if you were advised they had life left. Nothing against Allen @ Simply, but he is going to say the tires are no good, that helps him make a sale! Its the same as service advisor "reccomending" certain services for your car that may not be necessary. This guy probably took that as "do it or else"....
    It also could be that Allen didn't want to be liable for letting a customer leave his shop driving on tires at the end of their useful life.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a newbie, I've learned a lot from this thread. Thanks guys, much appreciated. I'm going to check the alignment soon; does it make a difference if I do it before or after I put on prokits and RX-8 rims? If so, I'll have to wait a few weeks.

Also, regarding refunding the cash to the buyer, I know it's technically "caveat emptor" but I don't want to be a douchebag; I didn't advertise that the tires were 'feathered', and I should have known more about the product I was selling. I would rather lose a few bucks and have a happy buyer than have someone curse my name for the rest of my days, just to make some more $.

For example, the guy who sold me my car last year screwed me around quite a bit, in a number of small ways that I only found out about (and had to pay for) after I bought the car; in retrospect, $80 on his part would have covered everything (that SHOULD have been covered under the sale conditions), but he cheaped out, and screwed me over. Now, was saving that $80 really worth me remembering him as a huge douchebag for the rest of our lives? That's a bad investment in my opinion.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The wheels don't matter, but I'd put the Pro-Kits on first. You're going to need to get an alignment after a suspension change anyway.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^ +1 exactly right! Wheels don't matter at all, but change something in the suspension and its a must do. (that includes replacing parts like a ball joint, struts, tie rods, control arm bushings, even bearings really)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So now I assume I should put in my opinion since I am the buyer. Here's the story, on friday I took the car over with the rims and tires and had allen put them on for me. When I went back to pick up my car (I work right across the street), before I even got my keys back, Allen said those tires are "feathered to shit" and they will be abnormally loud. He also stated it wasn't a safety factor it will just be irritating. (which it was) I had the tires on my car over the weekend and just couldn't deal with the noise. I contacted Scott about them, never expected a dime in return but I told him how I felt. Yes I am aware it's buyer beware but normal tread wear is different then having an improper aligned car causing feathering. Anyways Allen did not try to push a sale on me for new tires. I was extremely happy with the service I got, so much that I have my car there right now getting new rubber put on. As for Scott, what he did was a real stand up thing to do. And as a fellow tm3 member, I appreciated his assitance.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kudos to Scott for standing up on this, even though he wasn't obligated! And thanks for the "whole story" mdass52, its nice to hear you weren't just bitching, but actually went about it in a good manner.... Keep the love on TM3!! lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh for sure man, no point bitching about anything. Besides sometimes going about a problem calmly usually solves it faster

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

group hug

lol nice to see this get resolved.
    2008.5 Mazda3 Black Mica GS Sedan- Injen RD6061 CAI - Koni Yellows - Eibach Prokits - SPC Rear Camber Kit - Tenzo Type M 18x8 Powdercoated Bronze - Yokohama S.Drives 225/40/18 - Rolled Fenders - Rear Flares - Gforce Strut Bar - Prolumen 6000K - 3000k HID Fogs - Speedline Wide Angle Blue/LED Side Mirrors - LED Interior - Eyelids - LED 3rd Brake Light/Sidemarkers - LED Reflectors -LED Footwell/Trunk/Cup Holder Lighting - Solar Guard 28% Tints All Round - VG Sharkfin - Borla Catback - 07+ GS Lip - Eyelids - Sideskirt Extensions - Aluminium Pedals - Sickspeed Horns - Kenwood - Alpine - SPL -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mdass52 View Post
    oh for sure man, no point bitching about anything. Besides sometimes going about a problem calmly usually solves it faster

Well said!! Your cheque should get to you today Dan. Hopefully Allen's hooked you up with a good set in the meantime.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by omalak View Post
    group hug
    Awww...

That was a nice storyyyy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

my eyes are tearing... anyone got a tissue? lol good stuff..
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Electric Blue
    Mods: 20% tints around, 17"Tenzo Type M flat black, VG Sharkfin Antenna, Eibach Prokit, Eibach Camber Kit, Vibrant STB, Angel Eyes, Axela Badge, Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust, blacked out emblems, Nextmod front GV lip, Nextmod Rear Flares., 8000K HID, Aftermarket Fogs, Koni Yellows, Carbon Creations Carbon Fiber Hood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOL. Nice affirmation for our TM3 community.

Kevcol,

I know you didn't mean anything by it, but trust me, Allen wouldn't tell someone their tires were feathered to shit just to make a sale. He would just tell them the truth. I have tremendous respect for him as a person foremost and businessman second. He legitimately cares about taking care of his customers...
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch