Thread: brake rotor thickness

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default brake rotor thickness

on the mazda3 I just bought (2007 gx sedan) I noticed that there is a slight steering wheel vibration when braking.

this vibration only happens at high speed (above 80 km/h) and it's not bad enough to be felt if I hold on to the steering wheel. However if I let go of the steering wheel (only hold it in place roughly with my fingers) then as I'm braking the steering wheel moves back and fourth about 1 centimeter.
    again, this is not as noticeable under 80 km/hr.

I assume this means the front rotors are slightly warped. Could it come from somewhere else?

I spoke to someone at the dealer and he said brakes are a wear item and are not covered under the warranty, but I think it should be because this was present before I bought the car (according to the CAA inspection they did before I bought it). What do you think/what's their responsibility under the 3 month warranty they have to give me?

I took an appointment with them next week to check it out, in case it comes from something other than the brakes, but I will speak to them again and mention the CAA report.

next question I have: front rotors are 23.7mm, rear rotors are 10.6 mm but grooved.
    rear pads are 7.5 mm. front pads are around 4 mm.

when do you have to change the pads? (how many mm left)

for the front rotors, I understand from other posts here that the minimum thickness is 23mm so I don't believe they can be machined anymore, they would have to be changed. is this correct or can they still be machined if they are slightly warped?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: brake rotor thickness

Try rebedding your rotors before having them machined.

FYI: http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wp...rakedisk.shtml
    Is not here