Thread: Problems installing heated blue side mirrors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Problems installing heated blue side mirrors

Today I was trying to install these side mirrors I bought through a GB but ran into some problems. There is a how to on M3F forums which I followed to remove the passenger side mirror. It came off, but when I tried to install the blue mirror I could not get it to fit in the bottom ball joint. It seems like the plastic part that holds the ball gets pushed in every time I try to push the lower mirror socket into it. It was really frustrating . Has anyone had the same problem installing these mirrors. I know some people from this forum were on the Gb that was on M3F. Some assistance would be helpfull.

cheers.
    *2006 Mazda 3 GT*
    Eibach || SPC || Falken || ADR fin7 || Sirius || Solar Gard || DDM Tuning || Hella || Visual Garage || The Speedline

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Problems installing heated blue side mirrors

Quote Originally Posted by mazdathree View Post
    Today I was trying to install these side mirrors I bought through a GB but ran into some problems. There is a how to on M3F forums which I followed to remove the passenger side mirror. It came off, but when I tried to install the blue mirror I could not get it to fit in the bottom ball joint. It seems like the plastic part that holds the ball gets pushed in every time I try to push the lower mirror socket into it. It was really frustrating . Has anyone had the same problem installing these mirrors. I know some people from this forum were on the Gb that was on M3F. Some assistance would be helpfull.

cheers.
    One of the sockets isn't moulded correctly. The segments are joined together rather than being separated. Look at the other two sockets on the mirror to see the difference. Use a utility knife to make a cut between each of the socket segments.... no need to open up the slot between the segments, you just need to let them move independently so they can spread apart when they push around the ball.
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Noisy...I just saw what you mean...the lower socket is not correctly molded. The driver side molding is properly done eventhough I didnt try the driver side yet. I was just too worried that I may break the assembly. The passenger side was just enough to put me off!

But is it normal for the plastic piece that has the white ball on it to move freely with little resistance by just pushing it. I think its not going to give enough outward resistance when I push the mirror socket into it as it slips into the motor assembly by just pushing it.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's exactly the issue that Noisy Crow has explained.

I have installed 2 sets of these and know what you mean. What you have to do is clean out the 3 cuts on the socket to help allow them to flex slightly during install. Also I scraped some of the socket to make it a little larger. Don't make it too large though. If it's too big it won't be able to grip the ball properly. But if you don't do it enough the ball/socket will be really tight and the motor will have a really hard time moving the mirror.

Basically the mold is crappy and doesn't make a perfect replica of the OEM mirror. Just make it look like the stock one as best as you can.

Here are a couple pages regarding the issue.
    http://www.mazda3forums.com/index.php?topic=127152.870 (pg 30-32)

Also, be really careful when installing these as you may crack them if you don't press in the right spot. Also use some grease on the balls when you install the mirrors. (that last line sounded bad...but you need to do it lol.)

If you aren't sure and are in the North York or Markham are I can help you with the install. Let me know.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks cwp....ok so its a common problem with everyone who has bought them....I'd be glad if you could help me install them...I live in Markham (major mac and 404) I can come down to visit you if we set up a day and time....I'll PM you to let you know....I just have a busy schedule so I'll need to make time.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdathree View Post
    thanks cwp....ok so its a common problem with everyone who has bought them....I'd be glad if you could help me install them...I live in Markham (major mac and 404) I can come down to visit you if we set up a day....I'll PM you to let you know....I just have a busy schedule so I'll need to make time.
    Sounds good, let me know.