Thread: Good 1080p Video Camera?

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Good 1080p Video Camera?

The wifey has given me the green light to pick up a 1080p video camera for our wedding this summer. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone since I'm pretty sure the camera won't get much use after the wedding --- I'd like one that I can use inside my car. So I guess solid-state rather than HDD recording? Nothing too bulky... Doesn't have to be crazy good, since like I mentioned, I doubt it'll get much use after the wedding. Maybe one that will allow me to record directly to a PC?

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Good 1080p Video Camera?

the new samsung ones that looks like a giant pill are the ones I'd consider.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
    The wifey has given me the green light to pick up a 1080p video camera for our wedding this summer. I figured I would kill two birds with one stone since I'm pretty sure the camera won't get much use after the wedding --- I'd like one that I can use inside my car. So I guess solid-state rather than HDD recording? Nothing too bulky... Doesn't have to be crazy good, since like I mentioned, I doubt it'll get much use after the wedding. Maybe one that will allow me to record directly to a PC?

Anyone have any suggestions?
    Where are you located?

I would say drop by Panasonic on Ambler Drive in Mississauga. In the front lobby they have a complete catalog of their HD cameras and also some great information about them.

I have a catalog at home, if you are closer to me.

I live in the Winston Churchill and Britannia area.

I would be happy to give you mine. Just picked it up Friday.

Good luck.
    Krakor - 2011 Mazda CX-7 GX (Sparkling Black)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! I live in 'sauga, I'll make an effort of dropping by the Panasonic building this week... Thx for the suggestion. Do you own a Panasonic camera? What's your opinion?

The Samsung HMX-R10 looks pretty nice! SSD as well....hmm

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice! I live in 'sauga, I'll make an effort of dropping by the Panasonic building this week... Thx for the suggestion. Do you own a Panasonic camera? What's your opinion?

The Samsung HMX-R10 looks pretty nice! SSD as well....hmm

I used to work at Future Shop so we had a lot of training on the HD stuff.

Panasonic still seems to be one of the best value.
    The Samsung is nice.

I would say do an online comparison and also check out what other people post for comments.

A forum like this is what you need.

If you are not looking for a top of the line model, then you should be fine with most of them.

Just make sure you test it when you get it and make sure wherever you buy it from has a return policy in case you are not satisfied with the item.

Stay away from the Tiger Direct type places because you have restocking fees.

Let me know what you pick up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped by the local BB and picked up a Sony HDR-XR200 to start my benchmark.... It seems like a nice camera. As usual, Sony tries to push it's memory stick technology in your face, but it has a built in 120 GB HDD. Not the best bet for sticking it in the car, but it'll do if I decide to keep it.

Pros: "Full HD" (I wonder what they call 1080p if 1080i is considered "Full HD", built in storage medium, built in HDMI, built in USB2.0 and that other AVRHD port. It has a nice form factor and touch screen display, but the screen is tiny and pushing on the screen isn't ideal. Image quality is pretty decent, but I haven't compared it to another camera yet. 15x optical zoom

Cons (So far): Takes 4.0 MP still images (Next model up has 12 MP stills), touch screen hard to use.

It also has a built in GPS... I haven't figured out why that will be useful yet. It lets you select from a map when you want to find stuff you've recorded in the past...

I wish I could find a place that carries Samsung cameras with 15 day returns...
    Last edited by -cj-; 06-03-2009 at 11:06 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I dropped by the local BB and picked up a Sony HDR-XR200 to start my benchmark.... It seems like a nice camera. As usual, Sony tries to push it's memory stick technology in your face, but it has a built in 120 GB HDD. Not the best bet for sticking it in the car, but it'll do if I decide to keep it.

Pros: "Full HD" (I wonder what they call 1080p if 1080i is considered "Full HD", built in storage medium, built in HDMI, built in USB2.0 and that other AVRHD port. It has a nice form factor and touch screen display, but the screen is tiny and pushing on the screen isn't ideal. Image quality is pretty decent, but I haven't compared it to another camera yet. 15x optical zoom

Cons (So far): Takes 4.0 MP still images (Next model up has 12 MP stills), touch screen hard to use.

It also has a built in GPS... I haven't figured out why that will be useful yet. It lets you select from a map when you want to find stuff you've recorded in the past...

I wish I could find a place that carries Samsung cameras with 15 day returns...
    Sounds pretty nice.

I bought the Sony Blu-Ray Home Theatre system with the pencil thin speakers. It has the input for all the Sony products.

This would work well and look pretty good with my home theatre!

Maybe we should try it!

Have fun with it. But don't put a scratch on it or BB will either refure the return or bill you a percentage o fthe item if you return.

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice... Yeah I heard there's some sort of control thing via the HDMI cable to allow the camera to talk to other Sony gear... If you're up to trying it out, might be cool to see how it works. I don't have many other Sony devices at my home though (I'm a Samsung/Sharp/Denien fan so I don't know if I'll ever get to use it. From my understanding, it just prevents you from having to use the remote that's bundled with the camera.

I was messing around and walked around the house using the nightvision mode and it was pretty bad ass! Pretty impressed with the camera so far. I also found the dual shoot mode, that lets you film and take pictures at the same time. Made me want to get the next model up since it's 12MP still shots vs the 4MP on this camera... But this camera is already retardedly more than I wanted to spend, don't think I can justify the extra expense of the next model.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very nice... Yeah I heard there's some sort of control thing via the HDMI cable to allow the camera to talk to other Sony gear... If you're up to trying it out, might be cool to see how it works. I don't have many other Sony devices at my home though (I'm a Samsung/Sharp/Denien fan so I don't know if I'll ever get to use it. From my understanding, it just prevents you from having to use the remote that's bundled with the camera.

I was messing around and walked around the house using the nightvision mode and it was pretty bad ass! Pretty impressed with the camera so far. I also found the dual shoot mode, that lets you film and take pictures at the same time. Made me want to get the next model up since it's 12MP still shots vs the 4MP on this camera... But this camera is already retardedly more than I wanted to spend, don't think I can justify the extra expense of the next model.
    I have a few Sony products. I am usually a Sony or Panasonic kind of guy. However I do have a Samsung LCD that rocks!

The 4mp is more than enough. It's not the size of the MPs that matter it's what you do with it that counts...

What I mean is, good camera functions will help enhance your quality.

What kind of things can we do with it if it is connected to my system? Check the manual and let me know.

The port is called a Digital Media something something port.
    I can hook up an iPod and many other devices with it.