Thread: New MS3 oil recommendation?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default New MS3 oil recommendation?

I came across this thread that just started on BITOG this morning. Has anyone here heard or read anything about Mazda now recommending 5W40 for the 2.3 DISI Turbo engine?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...96#Post1520496

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: New MS3 oil recommendation?

a person on the mazdaspeedforums said that they switched it at his dealership down in the states. But they cannot find anything from mazda stating that they have switched to 5w-40, i just had my oil change yesterday and there was no mention of changing the oil grade, so they just used my oil that i supplied to them.
    Falken FK-452 | 225-45R18 | Konig Hotswap |35% Tints| Greddy TT| Cobb Sri| Cobb Shifter| Cobb AP Stage 2| BC Coilovers | Cobb Shifter Weight| Cobb Inlet Pipe |TS BOV |Dashhawk| COBB FMIC |CPE MM|CPE TBE| NRG ETD|
    STILL TO COME: |Whatever I can get my hands on before she kills me|
    2003 Blue Yamaha R6
    Pazzo shorty levers|Hindle exhaust|flush mount turn signals|Fender eliminator|Smoked windscreen|8000k HID

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would think a change as important as the 'Grade of oil', if deemed necessary by Mazda would be reported to all dealers or even MS3 owner's directly by Mazda Canada asap!!......So take what you read with a grain of salt...Stick to 5w-30 or better yet get GC 0w-30 for much better protection.

_3

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just switched to 5w40. Car runs just as smooth. Less valvetrain noise at idle for sure. I think with the breathing mods, the car does run hotter and the thicker oil helps with preventing dilution, seepage and smoking. It's all part of a regiment to reduce smoke, as observed by a much larger user group than those on TM3 alone.

My opinion is that the factory recommendation is for "sheeps"...guys who don't know what their car is doing is nor how to respond/react to it. I know MY car just as good as Jimmy, I'd dare say...and if he'd let me go 5w40, who am I to argue...

But for the stock guys...get GC @ 0w30 for $7.50/bottle @ CDN Tire!

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This sheep prefers to stick with what it says in the manual so nobody will give him a hard time for warranty work down the road.

Edit: Yay 200 posts.. B-A-A-A-A-A...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, but they'd have to do a UOA to even know you had used something else.

A different oil should be fine IMO.
    VG | MAZDASPEED | RACING HART | SIMOTA | EIBACH | DUNLOP | SOK07 | RACING BEAT | HAWK

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres a TSB on switching to 5w40 oil, i know this cuz my turbo might be going again and mazda told me there is one and im getting a free synthetic oil change withe 5w40

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteSpeed3 View Post
    theres a TSB on switching to 5w40 oil, i know this cuz my turbo might be going again and mazda told me there is one and im getting a free synthetic oil change withe 5w40
    When you go in could you get the TSB# and post it here for our information?

I think I'll stick with GC for now.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mazda3X2 View Post
    When you go in could you get the TSB# and post it here for our information?

I think I'll stick with GC for now.
    Well GC 0w-30 does run more like a 40 weight oil, but I'd like to see this TSB myself.....just out of curiousity.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'll see what i can do

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope some of you get the point that oil preference is just that, a personal preference...and a factory recommendation is also just that, a recommendation.

each of us drive our cars differently under varying conditions. To say there's ONE oil out there for ALL the MS3's is a like saying 1 size fits all for bras...and we know that ain't true.

Needless to say, different "bras" for different "brahs"...but a TSB says a lot more than just a "different preference"...and to all the guys that live and die by the factory manual, who are rigorously defending the factory recommendation, what will you say when a TSB comes out that refutes your committment to "factory recommendation"?
    Last edited by Fobio; 07-06-2009 at 10:50 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    to all the guys that live and die by the factory manual, who are rigorously defending the factory recommendation, what will you say when a TSB comes out that refutes your committment to "factory recommendation"?
    TSB > Owner's manual. In this case, it would be like an update to the manual.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hope some of you get the point that oil preference is just that, a personal preference...and a factory recommendation is also just that, a recommendation.
    each of us drive our cars differently under varying conditions. To say there's ONE oil out there for ALL the MS3's is a like saying 1 size fits all for bras...and we know that ain't true.

Needless to say, different "bras" for different "brahs"...but a TSB says a lot more than just a "different preference"...and to all the guys that live and die by the factory manual, who are rigorously defending the factory recommendation, what will you say when a TSB comes out that refutes your committment to "factory recommendation"?
    I think you'd better read the Mazda Warranty booklet a little closer!! It does state in there; "Use of an oil other then what is recommended in the Owner's manual, could result in full loss of warranty".....But, as they are recommending a conventional API 5w-30 and I would assume the recommendation means an API 5w-30 or better, then by going with a synthetic 0w-30, 5w-30, 5w-40 or a conventional 5w-40 weight oil would not cause any issues, aslong as it's API....but I am speculating here.It would be really nice to hear from Mazda themselfs on this issue....just to clear the air

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I hate oil arguements and I never get into them. So let's not turn this into one...

If you're concerned about your warranty, use what ever that manual says. Stick with it until any TSB, and feel alright about yourself that you made your changes according to a TSB ONLY when it comes out, not before it...and remember to buckle up...don't drink and drive...look both ways before you cross the road.

And if something happens to your engine, you can safely blame Mazda for it while you're driving a rental for 3 weeks...cuz hey, you stuck to the manual and the TSB....and nothing more.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're concerned about your warranty, use what ever that manual says. Stick with it until any TSB, and feel alright about yourself that you made your changes according to a TSB ONLY when it comes out, not before it...and remember to buckle up...don't drink and drive...look both ways before you cross the road.

And if something happens to your engine, you can safely blame Mazda for it while you're driving a rental for 3 weeks...cuz hey, you stuck to the manual and the TSB....and nothing more.
    Wow, you sound pretty resentful toward the idea of following the recommendations of the people who built the car?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP asked whether he heard ppl put 5w40 in their cars based on UOA's, and you guys can't stop schpewing BS about factory recommendation to a guy who's obviously looking for a better option.

Yes...I am resentful towards self-righteous bible/manual-pounding individuals who propagates useless info based on their personal preference and how everyone should follow it.

To each their own...if OP is resourceful enough to find out more about what a larger and more knowledgeable user group is doing to properly maintain his car, the last thing he needs are ppl telling him to stick with factory recommendations.

The people who built our cars don't always have OUR best interest in mind, when their priorities are dictated by profits, PERCEIVED reliability, gas mileage, and sales. Do you work for Mazda?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OP asked whether he heard ppl put 5w40 in their cars based on UOA's, and you guys can't stop schpewing BS about factory recommendation to a guy who's obviously looking for a better option.
    Actually:

Has anyone here heard or read anything about Mazda now recommending 5W40 for the 2.3 DISI Turbo engine?
    I interpreted this to mean the OP's asking what Mazda's current recommendation is. Does this make him/her a sheep too?

Yes...I am resentful towards self-righteous bible/manual-pounding individuals who propagates useless info based on their personal preference and how everyone should follow it.
    I don't pound bibles or manuals. I was just providing another perspective, which is what I thought these discussion forums are about. Amidst all the discussion I didn't see anyone say anything about the conservative route, so I spoke up and poked a bit of fun at your sheep comment. I had no idea it sounded self-righteous or would upset you (or anyone else who was offended at my opinion, I apologize).

the last thing he needs are ppl telling him to stick with factory recommendations.
    As above, I interpreted the OP's post asking what Mazda is currently recommending as attempting to confirm what the current factory recommendation is.

Do you work for Mazda?
    If that question is directed at me, no I don't.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was just looking for information on the rumor I read about a different oil recommendation. Mostly out of curiosity for now.

My car is only very lightly modded and I don't track or race it. So what Mazda recommends would most likely have an impact on my choice of oil grade. That being said I feel my current choice of GC won't do my any harm either.

Thanks for the input everyone.

On a side note:

Fobio works his car harder than most of us and seems to know the platform from experience. I valued his input here because of this and don't think he was necessarily calling me a sheep......were you Fobio?

No offense taken anyways.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tsaotablem View Post
    Actually:

I interpreted this to mean the OP's asking what Mazda's current recommendation is. Does this make him/her a sheep too?

I don't pound bibles or manuals. I was just providing another perspective, which is what I thought these discussion forums are about. Amidst all the discussion I didn't see anyone say anything about the conservative route, so I spoke up and poked a bit of fun at your sheep comment. I had no idea it sounded self-righteous or would upset you (or anyone else who was offended at my opinion, I apologize).

As above, I interpreted the OP's post asking what Mazda is currently recommending as attempting to confirm what the current factory recommendation is.

If that question is directed at me, no I don't.
    I appreciate the time that you took in crafting your response...let's just say we are approaching the same issue from different perspectives. At the end of the day, we both just want to share some insight with OP to help him and others out.

Back on topic...BITOG is very hard to go thru and find Mazdaspeed3/6 or 2.3L DISI info by browsing. But a few quick google searches at least gets you a few more recent UOA/discussions from BITOG.

Comments vary across the board, just like driving habits. Whereas myself, who was a M1 devotee before this car, has completely abandoned it...other guys are reporting acceptable UOA with M1. The general consensus amongst MS3 enthusiasts in various state of mods is that PP 5w30 is a good oil given its availability, and price vs. benefit ratio....more so than M1. However, going thru these same UOA's you can also see glowing reviews about GC @ 0w30.

For guys who have experienced smoking issues, 5w40 is part a regiment to eliminate the smoking (from the oil-cooled turbo) and many have been successful with it. Tho the rumours are unsubstantiated, it is not out of the realm of the imagination that Mazda is responding to the large number of positive feedback from using 5w40. Given what I have read and based on my own personal experience, I believe it to be worthwhile to go with 5w40...thus it's a personal prefernce that I will not force down anyone's throat...as YMMV, so to speak.

My personal opinion, and throwing caution to the wind, you can benefit from a quality full synthetic 5w40 more so that chasing after more exotic oil. And even if you enjoy the chase, GC isn't really that far off from an ideal oil for the MS3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a side note:

Fobio works his car harder than most of us and seems to know the platform from experience. I valued his input here because of this and don't think he was necessarily calling me a sheep......were you Fobio?

No offense taken anyways.
    My apology for throwing the word "sheep" around these parts...as it somehow means all different things to ppl...I meant it more for guys who don't even read the forums or attempt to educate themselves about the car. Basically, guys who buy their car, adds gas and changes oil and that's it...or even soccer parents...

besides...it's never to late to realize that you are not a sheep...lol...and your car definitely isn't...so give it that good oil...it deserves it!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bravo!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged