Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: is it safe to buy aftermarket HID lights?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default is it safe to buy aftermarket HID lights?

the dealer was asking for 60$ cash flat
    self pick up
    it seems a little sketchy but I'm saving a bit
    anyone have an y experience with cheaper HID lights?
    maybe they burn out realllly fast?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: is it safe to buy aftermarket HID lights?

you sure thats not just for bulbs? most kits run in the 300 range, even ebay kits are up near 100, i bought a kit from illumination technique, (a sponsor on our site very recommended) and that kit was on special for 120, so be very careful about that, 60 seems very cheap.
    2013 Mazda 3 GS Sport Sky CWP
    20% tints
    6000k HIDs
    18" RX8's Wrapped in Sumitomos

Thanks
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i paid $40 us for my Apexcones. however, after the exchange rate, and shipping, it came to around $100.
    i've had them in since january, and i havent had a single problems.
    i had more problems with my Prolumens which i paid $290 for.
    Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I guess I should also rename the Engine/Drivetrain section "Arts & Crafts"
    2007 Mazda3 gx
    2003 Volkswagen GTI 20th Anniversary Edition
    2010 Kawasaki Ninja 250R
    2011 Dodge Ram 1500 Outdoorsman / 2012 Ducati Monster 796

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have lots of HID kits instock at a very special price right now for TM3 members
    www.nextmod.com
    Monday - Friday 12-8pm
    Saturday 12-5pm

290 Yorktech Dr. Unit 27 Markham Ontario email me at Jon@nextmod.com
    416-800-9139

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm pretty sure it's the kit
    (it says KIT on the box) n it comes with more than the bulbs
    it's because its cash only and pick up
    which makes them 60$

(or maybe I should just ask Heidi to bring me to NextMod to buy some!)
    Last edited by S.F.W.; 07-21-2009 at 04:27 PM.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no it is NOT safe to use aftermarket HIDs... it causes excessive glare as the halogen headlights were not designed for it... it is also illegal to retrofit!
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe, TheMan is a big advocator for OEM HID.
    Where's that link to your thread?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    no it is NOT safe to use aftermarket HIDs... it causes excessive glare as the halogen headlights were not designed for it... it is also illegal to retrofit!
    Wellll many would argue that... as far as glare goes, mazda3's have projectors, which make HIDs a little more suitable for us than a lot of other earlier model cars.

And yes I know, I know, they come stock with "halogen" projectors, but a lot of members have HIDs installed and they have a decent cut off, aside from two small bubbles that appear above the cutoff line (will search for thread later, there is an image somewhere that illustrates this).

If this is bothersome, you can always pick up retrofitted lenses (another thread on this somewhere, will search later) I think they go for around $100, which is a small price to pay to have perfect HIDs/

So to answer your question, no, they aren't completely unsafe, considering you use the appropriate wattage and don't burn everything inside the housing hahah... Going OEM might be the safest bet, but for close to a grand, is it really worth it?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think all HID should be banned and they are not safe..i drive on country roads every day cause i live it out in the country and i get blinded by these stupid HID's....please don't put them on your car
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Isn't the point of H.I.D lights to make your driving experience a safer one? It shows a lot more of the road than regular halogens. If you are being blinded by these lights its more likely because they are aimed too high as opposed to it just being too bright. I have been blinded on numerous occasions by people who have regular halogens aimed higher.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its only safer if they're implemented right... retrofits and misaims aren't

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't know why everyone is saying not to get them.

Is it safe to buy and install aftermarket HIDs? Yes, if installed properly. Just make sure you buy from a vendor who will be 100% behind their product and warranty.

Of course installing HIDs into any OEM halogen projector will never provide the best output but it could be worse. At least the Mazda 3 has projectors compared to a vehicle without. This at least will help to keep the excess glare down.

Even vehicles with stock HIDs (BMW, Audi, even Mazda) can still blind an oncoming driver. They are less likely since the setup is designed that way but there is no way you can prevent it.

TheMAN...I understand completely with what you are saying but 99% of people are not going to retrofit a proper projector setup into the current housing. Aiming is another huge problem but then again most either don't aim them properly.

By telling this person to not install HIDs because they won't be OEM is simply ridiculous. I think that upgrading to HIDs was one of the best mods to my car. I will say that yes they are quite bright but compared to my stock lighting they make my driving much safer at night.

I would say get them, but only from a local, highly recommended sponsor.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not aiming that's the big issue here! its how the light gets directed out that's the issue.... the focal points of a halogen light and a HID are way different to put it simply... so retrofitting isn't going to get the light where its supposed to be at the correct levels... in otherwords, the beam pattern won't be correct! it may LOOK fine to you with your naked eyes, but when using special equipment to measure/test headlights it tells a totally different story

there's a lot of science to this and saying retrofitting is fine and going OEM is ridiculous is just ignorant

please read this instead of telling people it's OK
    http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...nversions.html

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it's not aiming that's the big issue here! its how the light gets directed out that's the issue.... the focal points of a halogen light and a HID are way different to put it simply... so retrofitting isn't going to get the light where its supposed to be at the correct levels... in otherwords, the beam pattern won't be correct! it may LOOK fine to you with your naked eyes, but when using special equipment to measure/test headlights it tells a totally different story

there's a lot of science to this and saying retrofitting is fine and going OEM is ridiculous is just ignorant

You've kind of disregarded most of the comments posted earlier... your link refers to "halogen lamps". Mazda 3's do not have the typical halogen lamps found on the majority of cars. Absolutely I think 1994 civic owners should stay FAR FAR away from HIDs lol... it's just a mess of light that fills the housing and looks dreadful. On our cars, however, it looks more appropriate, due to the projector lenses. And in regards to your comment, aiming IS the big issue when it comes to the Mazda 3, as that is the determining factor for other cars being blinded by a set of oncoming HIDs.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    79 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

<3 my retro fitted hids

But if you want as 'safe' and legal as oem then just leave the halogens.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I again understand that the beam pattern will be different between OEM HID and OEM Halogen projectors as they are designed differently. Also the lenses themselves are different, but that's not really what the OP is concerned about. Is it something to think about? Yes. Is it something that should be considered when upgrading to an HID setup? Of course. It's good that it has been mentioned but maybe the discussion should be directed more towards whether it would be safe to install an HID kit into his vehicle. Which it is if done correctly.

If he requires any additional knowledge about beam patterns, frosted vs non-frosted projector lenses or anything else, I'm sure you can help him out quite a bit.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdabetty View Post
    You've kind of disregarded most of the comments posted earlier... your link refers to "halogen lamps". Mazda 3's do not have the typical halogen lamps found on the majority of cars. Absolutely I think 1994 civic owners should stay FAR FAR away from HIDs lol... it's just a mess of light that fills the housing and looks dreadful. On our cars, however, it looks more appropriate, due to the projector lenses. And in regards to your comment, aiming IS the big issue when it comes to the Mazda 3, as that is the determining factor for other cars being blinded by a set of oncoming HIDs.
    did you scroll down to the very bottom of that page and read what it said about projectors (I'll give you a hit.. it's after the youtube video)?

actually, let me rephrase that question... did you read the whole page?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nnnnnope. I sure didn't. I got bored after the first 6 paragraphs about regular halogen lamps.

I do see and understand what you're saying. But I'll take the word of the hundreds of members on the board who do have them installed and have no problems with retrofitting. Sure it's not the "right" way, but it works.

And personally, I don't usually whine and complain when someone drives up behind me with after market HIDs.... (I only do that when people drive up behind me with their high beams on, which is 100x more common and 300x more annoying!!!) hahah

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

with that logic its the same as:
    -crowd of people tells you it's OK to jump off a bridge
    -medical doctor and physicist tells you that you'll break your legs or you die if you jump off the bridge based on calculated bridge height, law of gravity, your mass calculated together to get rate of free fall, and force applied when you hit the bottom, and known force that will break a human

so who do you believe? the lemmings or the guy who has a degree on automobile lighting (the guy who wrote that page) and knows exactly what he is talking about?

happy motoring!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No not necessarily. I've just researched a lot outside these forums as well, and some evidence is quite obvious in photographs. (as far as cut off lines go etc)

I'm not saying I'm gonna go out and buy them, I'm perfectly fine with my halogens. And trust me, I'm the last person to follow the lemmings. I'm also all about the OEM mods, but by telling this person 'NO absolutely no', showing them one article and denying the fact that most people here do have HIDs installed and are perfectly happy with them, you might be coming on a little strong for someone who just wants a simple mod... no? This logic you're using could also be used against CAI and exhausts... :\

Again, no one is denying your article, but I really don't see anything wrong with buying a kit and setting them up to be pretty damn near perfect. Just my opinion.

And with that being said, I'd keep distance from a $60 kit hahaha

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

as I said before, photographs and your own eyes don't mean much.... put a photometric meter on it and on a testing rig and the difference IS obvious then

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

don't listen to all these people who tell you not to get them, if you want them get them, they will brighten the road more and make driving for you safer, ive spoken to people driving against me and theyve told me theres no difference in the light output coming towards me between these and my halogens due to the projection lens, our lenses arent spec for most hid kits, but the beam above isnt bright enough to blind anyone, and ive had many people tell me after driving at me, so if you want them, i say go for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen many aftermarket "retro fitted" as your calling it HID kits that functioned perfectly. I've also seen some very bad dangerous setups. So get it done right, and it will be fine. I'm planning on getting them too.

Jeremy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i have hids in my headlights and my fogs

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aristeidis View Post
    I think all HID should be banned and they are not safe..i drive on country roads every day cause i live it out in the country and i get blinded by these stupid HID's....please don't put them on your car
    Have you ever driven a car with HID headlights at night in those said country roads? It's a heck of a lot safer since you see the road clearer and also further ahead. Even factory HIDs are still going to blind you when that car is angled up or goes over a speed-bump and you're looking straight at it. I'm sure we've all been flashed at by a BMW or Lexus with factory HIDs going over a bump or up an incline opposite of us.

... in otherwords, the beam pattern won't be correct! it may LOOK fine to you with your naked eyes, but when using special equipment to measure/test headlights it tells a totally different story
    as I said before, photographs and your own eyes don't mean much.... put a photometric meter on it and on a testing rig and the difference IS obvious then
    I don't know about you but I have eyes that I see with and not some scientific meter that will go berzerk if I get "blinded" by someone's projector-housed aftermarket-kit.

Chill out man.

If you're that peeved about aftermarket retro-fitted HIDs in projector housing, I'd hate to see you drive opposite those mofos with aftermarket HID kits in their reflector housing at night.
    Last edited by wtom; 07-22-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast