Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 headlight lens melting/frosted

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    right, but anytime you R&R or replace a headlight... the aim will be off... which is why it always needs to be reaimed, much like R&Ring suspension parts... but most people are lazy and don't care to do it
    I dont aggree with that because i have replaced several headlights and have never had to realign them sure i checked the alignment but knock on wood never had to adjust them
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you sure you're talking about headlight housings and not bulbs right?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes i work ata delaerrship in service and have replaced several headlight assemblies and have not had to readjust them. I even did it with my old mazda

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you're lucky then
    because I replaced plenty of headlights myself, including a BK 3... it was all slightly off

even my own 3 that was hit before... it was slightly off

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Of course i do check them but in pretty much all cases i have never had to relevel them. Just when people come in with the bulbs not installed correctly and they adjust the headlight upwards so much to compensate for the aim towards the ground which they are lucky the lights dont burn in to the reflector otherwise it would mean BIG money for a replacement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I was washing my car tonight and guess what I found...the other headlight is now fogging. I'll call the dealership tomorrow and ask that they now order the other headlight so i can get them both replaced at the same time. Wish they would have listened to me in the first place. I told them that at night you could tell it was starting to fog and now it's starting to show during the day.

Guys, keep an eye on your headlights they are bound to go.

BeEvil
    2010 MZ3 GT, 6 speed with PRM CAI, Tints, Vent Visors, Deflector, TM3 Plate Covers, Aluminum Pedals, Aluminum Door Sills, Custom Creations Armrest, MOMO/Pit Stop E-Brake & Boot, WeatherTech All Weather Mats, Blacked out Reflectors, Vinyl Carbon Fiber Emblems & Fog Bezels, Blacked out Nextmod Emblem, XPEL on all Lights, Black Pro Tuner Wheel Nuts, Mazda RX 8 - 18" Rims Powder Coated Silver Vein, Subaru Legacy Cargo Liner, Red LED's in Cup Holder, Curt Hitch, Blue Neon Lights in Hatch, TWM Piston Shift Knob & SS, Black Calipers & Racing Beat Exhaust.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

that really really really sucks....something like this can easily make the extended warranty worthwhile, since the cost of each headlight on these factory HID's is astronomical!
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

KNOCK ON WOOD i do not have any fogging as of yet but i am monitoring on a daily

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is ridiculous...I brought my car in to Westowne Mazda and they said they'd have to contact Mazda before they can replace my headlights...it's been a 2 weeks and they still haven't gotten any reply from them
    So...now i'm stuck waiting -_-....

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep following up with them maybe even show them the thread.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pacmann33 View Post
    that really really really sucks....something like this can easily make the extended warranty worthwhile, since the cost of each headlight on these factory HID's is astronomical!
    would the extended warranty cover the lights? might not, read the fine print..

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I personally have the bumper to bumper extended and i am pretty sure it would cover it depends on the type of extended you have and who it is with

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is a Transport Canada issued safety recall on the 2010 headlight issue

2010 Mazda3
    Vehicles affected: 5,738
    On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the daytime running light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damaged by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period, or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb detachment. Dealers will repair the housing.
    work to live

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HMMM thats good to know so that should mean that a bunch of us should be getting letters then soon i suppose? How are they going to "fix" the lens? lol Are they going to bake them open and replace only the lenses LOL

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Learned something new. I hven't seen a 2010 vomr in with fogged lighs yet.
    btw I saw BeEvil's car whn it came in. I didn't work on it so I didn't see the lights. just a heads up, they won't order the other light just because you call and say it's fogged. A tech has to check it and order the parts because we're responsible for everything we change.

oh and you guys can check your headligt aim easily by marking out a grid on a wall in front of a flat surface. I belive the car should be 10 feet from the wall. mark the center of the car on the wall. then mark five feet up the wall.
    with low beams on they should showbelow the 5 foot line slightly to the right. high beams on should just be above the line. the left one should be slightly more towards the center line. this is just a rough check, but works well.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Prima Tech Aaron View Post
    Learned something new. I hven't seen a 2010 vomr in with fogged lighs yet.
    btw I saw BeEvil's car whn it came in. I didn't work on it so I didn't see the lights. just a heads up, they won't order the other light just because you call and say it's fogged. A tech has to check it and order the parts because we're responsible for everything we change.

oh and you guys can check your headligt aim easily by marking out a grid on a wall in front of a flat surface. I belive the car should be 10 feet from the wall. mark the center of the car on the wall. then mark five feet up the wall.
    with low beams on they should showbelow the 5 foot line slightly to the right. high beams on should just be above the line. the left one should be slightly more towards the center line. this is just a rough check, but works well.
    Yes, I realize that now. In a way I don't like that they don't trust the customer. If I say it's bad why can't they just order a headlight? If the customer is wrong or lied then the part can go in to stock and would eventually be used. But I do see the reasoning behind this policy as well. There are a lot of less that honest people out there.

I'm bringing the car back in to get the headlight replaced next Wednesday. I'm busy all week this week.

BeEvil

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They can't just take order in a headlamp because of the price and once they have it and don't use it its a burden for the dealerr to sit on such a high valued part. Tjats the way it is at my dealer. But if we sit on the part for to long I think 3 months at max it gets sent back to the warehouse but its still X amount of dollars that could have been saved to bring down warranty pricing index. Yeah sounds messed up but it all has to be taken in to consideration

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    They can't just take order in a headlamp because of the price and once they have it and don't use it its a burden for the dealerr to sit on such a high valued part. Tjats the way it is at my dealer. But if we sit on the part for to long I think 3 months at max it gets sent back to the warehouse but its still X amount of dollars that could have been saved to bring down warranty pricing index. Yeah sounds messed up but it all has to be taken in to consideration
    I totally understand. I just hate making an extra trip to the dealership. I'd rather just go in and get both replaced in one shot. It stands to reason that if one goes the other is going as well. Plus I had already mentioned to the service adviser that the other was on the way out. At night with the lights on you could tell it was getting fogged. But I couldn't demonstrate that during the day. Would have been nice to have them take my word for it, but a few bad apples ruin it for the rest of us. I just want to have a good relationship with the service department. Not that this has soured me, as I understand where they are coming from. Plus policy usually comes from the top. So not their fault.

BeEvil

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    mazda dealers can always send back parts within a 30-45 day period with no penalty/handling/freight costs because mazda uses a dedicated delivery system, unlike some other smaller brands that depend on 3rd party commercial shippers (which then those dealers have to pay a shipper like UPS to return parts)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lars, how many kms on your car so far?

Glad to hear they are replacing them. Hope the replacements don't have the same issue! I will monitor my lights when I get the car next week.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am just shy of 17 000 km as well. I got the car used though and noticed it before picking the car up. It had 15 000 km at the time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sure do.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Does that mean Mazda will issue letters of recalls soon?

Quote Originally Posted by tonyzoomzoom View Post
    There is a Transport Canada issued safety recall on the 2010 headlight issue

2010 Mazda3
    Vehicles affected: 5,738
    On certain vehicles, a part of the headlight housing where the daytime running light (DRL) bulb is attached may be damaged by heat from the bulb when the vehicle is left idling for an extended period, or while driving in slow-moving traffic. In the worst case, the housing may be deformed, resulting in bulb detachment. Dealers will repair the housing.
    10 Sport GT-E
    Photobucket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here are a few pics that I took and sent off to the dealership to hopefully expedite the repair/replacement.

Passenger side:

Driver side:

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dam now i really want to inspect my headlights a little closer this is starting to get brutal

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast