Thread: Rusted rotors

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Rusted rotors

Newbie here.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Mazda 3 GT and the rotors are rusted..mostly around the edges.........is this a bad sign..that I shouldn't buy the car..it has 93,000 kms on it...would it still pass a safety? It is a Alberta car.

Thanks
    DEB

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Rusted rotors

Once the car drives it should clear up..nothing to worrie about
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mymx.3 View Post
    Newbie here.

Thinking of buying a 2004 Mazda 3 GT and the rotors are rusted..mostly around the edges.........is this a bad sign..that I shouldn't buy the car..it has 93,000 kms on it...would it still pass a safety? It is a Alberta car.

Thanks
    DEB

The rust is nothing to worry about but if you want to know if they will pass safety you will need to get a vernier and measure the thickness of the rotor. somewhere on the rotor it should state minnimum thickness in mm and that will tell you if it will pas or not according to your measurement from the vernier
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is perfectly normal. Happens 2 seconds after rain or if you wash the car

2004 Mazda3 GT { BLACK MICA / 5MT / GFX pkg / BLACK, RED & GOLD BEEBS }

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If its the outside edge (where pad doesn't touch), it's perfectly normal. Like people mentioned, if it's on the face of the rotor, it will wear away first couple times you press on the brakes.
    Diesel tractor...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ya..it wasn't the flat surface of the rotor..cause I know it will wear off...yes the edge around the rotor................................it just does not look nice..that's all..........................

.......Thank you to all of you

DEB

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MAZDA Kitten View Post
    This is perfectly normal. Happens 2 seconds after rain or if you wash the car
    yup 1+ just drive for like 5 mins and check again (use the brakes)
    Mazda 3 Aluminum Pedals | 6000k HIDs | Razo Shift Knob | LED Eyebrows | Stubby | Blacked out Emblems | TorontoMazda3.ca Decal | GV Front Lip | 17" Advanti M40 Bronze Time Attack Rims | Falken ZE912 Tires | Smoked Reflectors | Blue Calipers with Mazda Decal | AutoEXE Spoiler Wing | LED Interior Lights | 2008 OEM LED Tail Lights | 23% Tint All Around | Viper 2-way Alarm System | Clarion NX 409 | Clarion Integrated Bluetooth | CCFL Halo Angel Eyes | Custom Black and Blue Head Lights | Euro Yellow 3000k Fog Lights | Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake | Chrome Turn Signals | Hawk Brake Pads | Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior | DI-NOC Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Roof | Dry Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Flares | Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust + Vibrant Resignator | Tien H-Tech Springs | Front Strut Bar | RhoPlate | etc.

Ride
    Speciallized Allez 16 Spd
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust on the edges is fine. I have those rust on all 4 corners of my 2006. For 193k kms. on the car, considering that the have not been replaced, ask the dealer or seller to replace everything, just to be on the safe side.
    2006 Mazda 3 A/T, Charcoal Grey, AXELA Badge, Front/Rear Drilled Rotors, New Front/Rear Powerstop Evolution Z16 Ceramic Brake Pads,
    Sensen Front Shocks, KYB GR2 Rear Shocks, All Stock, Aftermarket HID 8000k 55watts DRL, Aftermarket HID 8000k 35watts high beam, 120k kms (Aug. 6, 2012).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depends how bad, I just had Westone Mazda put new rotors on all four corners before I took my car how because before buying the car I had an independent mechanic do an inspection and he said the rotors were rusted too badly. Westowne did the work without any problem and free of charge.
    They looked ok before to me, but what do I know. My advice get a mechanic to look at it first.

Jeremy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've seen people actually spray paint the part that stays rusted after driving... (of course where the pad doesn't touch)... my bf painted his silver and it's held up pretty good, can't even tell it's been painted at first glance!