Thread: fuel economy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default fuel economy

How's the fuel economy on the MS3s? On average, how many kms do you get out of one full tank?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: fuel economy

Quote Originally Posted by sadd16 View Post
    How's the fuel economy on the MS3s? On average, how many kms do you get out of one full tank?
    350 to 400km per tank. This is with aggressive driving and being in boost on a regular basis. If you have a lighter foot, I suspect you could get 425-475km+ a tank.
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My experience:

Worst tank was 378kms using 41.5 liters (11.5 liters / 100km)

Best tank (all highway) 316kms using 23.4 liters (7.4 liters / 100km)

All around my average is 9.3 liters / 100km mixed driving since I owned the car. I usually get between 400 & 450 kms on a tank but have gotten over 500 on many occasions.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys...wow, that's about as much as I get now with my current car. damn turboed cars eat gas like crazy.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys...wow, that's about as much as I get now with my current car. damn turboed cars eat gas like crazy.
    Uh no, it is nowhere close to where you are now according to your previous post a few minutes ago in another thread. The MS3 aren't running an average of 15L/100km, or anywhere close. Keep in mind the gas tanks are smaller in the MS3 than in your WRX.

I used to get better mileage, but with all the upgrades I did, my gas mileage went down a lot. The newer subies are a lot better than mine. Even STi's have better mileage than my car. I'm averaging 15L/100km...which is pretty ridiculous. Also forgot to mention that I have a shorter gear ratio transmission which does affect my gas mileage a lot more. So now with this new transmission, on the highway, going 120km, my rpm would be at 3500, whereas my old transmission would be going 120km but at 3000rpm. So that, along with the upgraded turbo, the awd, kills my gas even more

On the positive side, only 30 more posts for you to go, before you can post up that laptop for sale.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yeah forgot the tanks are smaller in the MS3s, thanks for pointing that out.
    30 more posts....make that 29 now lol

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    Uh no, it is nowhere close to where you are now according to your previous post a few minutes ago in another thread. The MS3 aren't running an average of 15L/100km, or anywhere close. Keep in mind the gas tanks are smaller in the MS3 than in your WRX.

On the positive side, only 30 more posts for you to go, before you can post up that laptop for sale.
    I just checked the MS3 site, and the size of the MS3 gas tank is the same size as my wrx. I should have mentioned that I have a 2002 model, and not the newer ones which have a 64L tank.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked the MS3 site, and the size of the MS3 gas tank is the same size as my wrx. I should have mentioned that I have a 2002 model, and not the newer ones which have a 64L tank.
    No worries. The MS3's still don't average 15L/100km though...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not sure about MS3's, but I regularily drive 120km+ on the fuel light...so if you're getting around 9L/100km, you should be able to get 600km on the tank.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gen1GT View Post
    I'm not sure about MS3's, but I regularily drive 120km+ on the fuel light...so if you're getting around 9L/100km, you should be able to get 600km on the tank.
    Why would you, or anyone for that matter, drive regularly on the low fuel light?

Do you realize the strain this puts on your fuel pump? I've also never heard of anyone getting 120km+ after the low fuel light comes on. 30 to 60km yes, certainly not 120km. That is almost the equivalent of a quarter tank of gas for a regular MZ3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    Why would you, or anyone for that matter, drive regularly on the low fuel light?

Do you realize the strain this puts on your fuel pump? I've also never heard of anyone getting 120km+ after the low fuel light comes on. 30 to 60km yes, certainly not 120km. That is almost the equivalent of a quarter tank of gas for a regular MZ3.
    Feel free to explain what strain it pumps on the fuel pump, and I'll feel free to tell you why I do it.

I keep religious fuel economy records. The Mazda3 tank is 55 litres. If you have a look at my fuel economy thread, you can see how much fuel I tend to add every fill up. The fuel light normally comes on around 480-515KM on the tank, at which point I've calculated I usually still have 10-15 litres in the tank. Since I average 8.7 L/100 KM, it means I can get 115 KM from 10 litres, and I still have another 50-60 KM before empty. The lowest I've let the tank get to was 3 litres left, where I drove 626 KM and still had 35 KM left of juice.

If you're filling up your tank at 450 KM, rather than 550-600 KM, then you can obviously be squeezing some more distance out of your car, and saving yourself some un-needed fill-ups.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What the hell? Why can't I edit my post? Oh well...I guess I'll have to live with the fact my low tanks pump strain on my fuel pump.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

driving on low fuel all the time puts stress on the fuel pump because normally it is immersed in gas... the gas helps cool the pump (which is nothing more than an electric motor with some gears)... overtime the motor gets weak from repeated heat stress

the ms3 has a cam driven fuel pump AND an electric fuel pump in the gas tank
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    driving on low fuel all the time puts stress on the fuel pump because normally it is immersed in gas... the gas helps cool the pump (which is nothing more than an electric motor with some gears)... overtime the motor gets weak from repeated heat stress

the ms3 has a cam driven fuel pump AND an electric fuel pump in the gas tank
    I would believe that older fuel pumps are prone to overheating, but not in a modern, low pressure, low flow fuel pump drawing very little current.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Edwin, because you probably know what it looks like better than I do ... but isn't the fuel pump mounted high up in the tank, because of the way the sending unit is attached? So wouldn't the fuel pump be exposed at anything less than half a tank, anyway?