Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Question about oil change

Alright,

Not your typical question.

I plan on letting my 3 sit for the winter as I have a winter beater. I just did an oil change at 16XXXKM and ain't going to see the car till about March. The sticker says I need an oil change at 24XXXKM or in FEB. Whichever comes first.

But since the car will be sitting till march and I miss that date, what will happen? I wont go more than 17XXXKM before she sits for the winter.

Will this conflict and possibly void warranty?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Question about oil change

Nothing will happen..and no they will not void your warranty..but just make sure when you pull your car out you get the oil changed.

Back in dec of '99 i bought my truck brand new and after the first winter it never seen winter again..all i did was take it for oil change in spring when i pulled it out..they never once denied me any warranty work.
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah you will be fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool. Thanks guys.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

even not changing the oil in spring before it hits the 24k, won't hurt the engine
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillie86 View Post

Will this conflict and possibly void warranty?

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    even not changing the oil in spring before it hits the 24k, won't hurt the engine
    I think he is worried about his warranty and not his engine...and i don't see what you just how that would make sence..if the recomend interverls is 4 months or 8,000km then when he pulls his car out in the spring the oil would have been longer then 4 months and since he is under warranty he should change it as soon as he pulls it out for the summer IMO

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aristeidis View Post
    I think he is worried about his warranty and not his engine...and i don't see what you just how that would make sence..if the recomend interverls is 4 months or 8,000km then when he pulls his car out in the spring the oil would have been longer then 4 months and since he is under warranty he should change it as soon as he pulls it out for the summer IMO
    Im worried about warranty and not about the engine because I know once I pull it out I will be doing an oil change.The oil is still extremely clean but I take care in the motor.

I just know it might sit longer than the typical 4 month interval, so I was wondering if that conflicted with warranty issues.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Im worried about warranty and not about the engine because I know once I pull it out I will be doing an oil change.The oil is still extremely clean but I take care in the motor.

I just know it might sit longer than the typical 4 month interval, so I was wondering if that conflicted with warranty issues.
    I wouldn't worry about it. I think if you were driving it very little and waited 8-10 months to change the oil because it took you that long to reach 8000k then they would probably frown upon that. Having that car sit for the winter isn't the issue.

Everyone has a personal opinion on the matter but I would change the oil out in the spring. The oils composition will change over time but even 4-6 months won't cause it to change that much.

Your warranty should be fine. Have you even asked a dealership what they thought?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I wouldn't worry about it. I think if you were driving it very little and waited 8-10 months to change the oil because it took you that long to reach 8000k then they would probably frown upon that. Having that car sit for the winter isn't the issue.

Everyone has a personal opinion on the matter but I would change the oil out in the spring. The oils composition will change over time but even 4-6 months won't cause it to change that much.

Your warranty should be fine. Have you even asked a dealership what they thought?
    lol thats the best bet! I will call mazda canada personally and ask and then call my dealership.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always went by mileage for oil changes... the times are just a guideline based on what the average person drives it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheWulf View Post
    I always went by mileage for oil changes... the times are just a guideline based on what the average person drives it.
    Not at all...
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with Mazda Canada this morning regarding my situation and they stand firmly on 8000km or 4 months regardless if the vehicle sits or not.

So I have to pull the vehicle in for an oil change in feburary and expose it to salt just to keep warranty valid even if the vehicle is sitting. This kinda defeats the soul purpose of keeping it off the roads in the winter.

Can I dispute this?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I spoke with Mazda Canada this morning regarding my situation and they stand firmly on 8000km or 4 months regardless if the vehicle sits or not.

So I have to pull the vehicle in for an oil change in feburary and expose it to salt just to keep warranty valid even if the vehicle is sitting. This kinda defeats the soul purpose of keeping it off the roads in the winter.

Can I dispute this?
    I would definitely think so. What if you changed your own oil in that time frame?

Personally I think that is bull. If you don't put any KM on it for say 6 months there wouldn't be anything wrong with changing it when you put the car away and when you pull it out in the spring.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I figured they would say that, otherwise how do they enforce the 4 months at all. Just another way to get out of warranty claims, but I see their point.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would wait for a nice cold day where the roads are dry in Feb or whenever, get the oil changed, go through a carwash, get the supreme or whatever that does undercarriage, and then idle it in your garage to get it nice and hot under so everything dries out.

Don't forget to leave the garage door open LOL

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cwp_sedan View Post
    I would definitely think so. What if you changed your own oil in that time frame?

Personally I think that is bull. If you don't put any KM on it for say 6 months there wouldn't be anything wrong with changing it when you put the car away and when you pull it out in the spring.
    A big +1

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Also do you tke your car to the dealer for oil changes??

If so do you go to the sameone or do you go to different dealers eash time.

Cause you realy should be asking your dealer and not mazda canada..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm curious is Mazda Canada a bunch of maniacs...a common theme on here is will it void my warranty? I used to change my oil on my 96 toyota corrolla and never worried about Toyota. And Mitsubishi rules!

Or is everyone just being careful?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I dispute this?
    Take it on a day when the roads are dry, in fact you could do it any day from January-Feb. Don't have to do it on the exact day, take it before that day...
    ops someone already suggested this
    Last edited by mazda lover; 11-11-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: delete

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Can I dispute this?
    Personally I think the person you spoke too at Mazda Canada has their head up their ass They didn't have a clue how to answer the question and just took the safe route out of it....I would'nt worry one bit about it!...I stored my vehicle for one winter and never had a problem, mind you the dealer I was dealing with, on a regular basis and did my oil changes, were aware I stored the vehicle....They had no problem with it as I put fresh oil in, before storing and fresh oil in as soon as I brought it out.( The dealer or Service manager is more likely to understand the situation more then some peep sitting behind a desk)......How many RX8 owner's do you think also store their vehicles? LOL.

There are many here on the board that have stored their vehicles and I don't think they have had any issues.

The 4 months part of the 8k/4 months is just a guideline, oil 'will not' go bad in that short a period or in exactly 4 months (It's not fruit!), it may get contaminated slightly with moisture/raw fuel, which will get burnt off (mostly), the first time you run it too operating temp, almost 100% guaranteed.

my

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 11-12-2009 at 07:46 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think Mazda Canada is justified in sticking to the 4 month thing, they couldn't police it otherwise...how do you make exceptions for one over the other. And sure, you will have no warranty issues if you change the oil yourself, just keep reciepts to prove it. Same thing if you take it to another shop.

I dont think that the person at Mazda Canada is mistaken.

Mazda could then just toss the 4 month thing out the window at all and just say every 8k change the oil if they were to make exceptions for people who say they store their car in the winter. Only way I think you could get around it is to have the plates removed and have some kind of official paper trail to proive that the car was not driven during the winter, like some insurance companies do. even still, used oil is sitting in the car all winter.

Make life easy and just have it changed on a nice day in Feb. I ride my sportbikes on the road sometimes in jan/feb, as long as the road is dry, and I wash it after, and they have no steel on them, entirely magnesium, aluminum and titanium.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I must say I do think it is BS, I don't really agree with what they say, but yeah, they need to make some kind of allowances for those who store cars. They need a better system. It bothers me at how easily they can deny coverage when an engine craps the bed because you were 2 days late on an oil change 3 years earlier.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pacmann33 View Post
    I must say I do think it is BS, I don't really agree with what they say, but yeah, they need to make some kind of allowances for those who store cars. They need a better system. It bothers me at how easily they can deny coverage when an engine craps the bed because you were 2 days late on an oil change 3 years earlier.
    They cannot deny warranty because you've gone a couple of days/weeks or even a month over the alloted time! Again it is a 'Guide' to when to change the oil, it is not a precise thing!! If for instance this person several thousand kilometers down the road has a catastrophic engine failure; they (Mazda) would have to prove that the engine oil was the culprit i.e; thru oil analysis, oil level inpsection, thorough engine inspection etc; otherwise they have no claim....Also remember that when the oil changes are done mileage will be taken and recorded, so if this person shows up after the winter for his O/C and mileage is only 1000 kilometers difference there will be no argument whatsoever.Again, oil is not like fruit or milk or whatever analogy you want to use, oil is oil and it can stay good for a long time as long as the car is not driven and believe me they know this, the guide-line is there so that it is not abused and by abused it is meant people don't "drive" their vehicles for six months on the same oil.

If the OP decides he wants to pull the car out in the middle of February to get an oil change that's his decision, I'm just telling him it's unnessary.

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Flagrum_3 View Post
    They cannot deny warranty because you've gone a couple of days/weeks or even a month over the alloted time! Again it is a 'Guide' to when to change the oil, it is not a precise thing!! If for instance this person several thousand kilometers down the road has a catastrophic engine failure; they (Mazda) would have to prove that the engine oil was the culprit i.e; thru oil analysis, oil level inpsection, thorough engine inspection etc; otherwise they have no claim....Also remember that when the oil changes are done mileage will be taken and recorded, so if this person shows up after the winter for his O/C and mileage is only 1000 kilometers difference there will be no argument whatsoever.Again, oil is not like fruit or milk or whatever analogy you want to use, oil is oil and it can stay good for a long time as long as the car is not driven and believe me they know this, the guide-line is there so that it is not abused and by abused it is meant people don't "drive" their vehicles for six months on the same oil.

If the OP decides he wants to pull the car out in the middle of February to get an oil change that's his decision, I'm just telling him it's unnessary.

_3
    I couldn't agree with you anymore

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I talked to a dealership today...I guess the real question is this. Although it is probably unlikely that your engine is going to need replacing under warranty, if it did, is saving $35.00 on an oil change worth arguing with Mazda Canada to replace your engine?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast