Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Question about oil change

I emailed Mazda Canada for a second opinion and this is what I got:

Hello Mr. Freire,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

We do not expect you to perform oil changes on a vehicle stored for 1 season, however, when removing the vehicle from storage, we would recommend an oil change, as fluids to break down over time, as well as kilometers. As such, should warranty require the maintenance records, we will review these records and also take into consideration that the vehicle was stored (as indicated by no change of kilometers between oil changes and date). Further, please note that oil changes are recommended every 8,000 km or 4 months and not 24k. We trust this clarifies our position on the matter. Should you require additional clarification, please call us toll-free at 1-800-263-4680 during regular business hours.

Regards,
    Mazda Canada Inc.
    I will print a copy of this and keep it for my records. I wonder if this will be enough evidence or proof of any statement made by Mazda Canada

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phillie86 View Post

I will print a copy of this and keep it for my records. I wonder if this will be enough evidence or proof of any statement made by Mazda Canada
    Sounds like you've got your ass covered.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There you have it folks. What that means however is that you HAVE to change the oil right before putting it away, and then, if you manage to blow up your engine on the way to the oil changers after storage you are covered. If you deviate from that at all...like drive it one day before your scheduled appointment you are still leaving it up just one person in head office who is maybe having a bad day. In my opinion it is not worth it to leave it up to Mazda's discretion lol. It has happened before, and it will happen again. who cares if you drive it once in Feb to get an oil change. It's a freakin' mazda3. Sorry guys, had to say it. It has happened to people on this very forum. Do a search lol.

Flame suit on!!!

I wonder how long we can get this thread to stay alive. haha.
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pacmann33 View Post
    There you have it folks. What that means however is that you HAVE to change the oil right before putting it away, and then, if you manage to blow up your engine on the way to the oil changers after storage you are covered. If you deviate from that at all...like drive it one day before your scheduled appointment you are still leaving it up just one person in head office who is maybe having a bad day. In my opinion it is not worth it to leave it up to Mazda's discretion lol. It has happened before, and it will happen again. who cares if you drive it once in Feb to get an oil change. It's a freakin' mazda3. Sorry guys, had to say it. It has happened to people on this very forum. Do a search lol.

Flame suit on!!!

I wonder how long we can get this thread to stay alive. haha.
    I think you should re-read the return email sent by Mazda as it does not state what you say at all!! Actually it states exactly what I stated a few posts back.Soooo, to the original poster; store the vehicle if that is what you prefer, but get an oil change before storage and asap afterward, it's that simple...no worries

_3
    Last edited by Flagrum_3; 11-13-2009 at 07:01 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3....not at all...

As such, should warranty require the maintenance records, we will review these records and also take into consideration that the vehicle was stored (as indicated by no change of kilometers between oil changes and date.

HUGE gray area...you are leaving this open to some paper pushers interpretation. how many kilometers will they let you drive in between the oil changes? you have to get to the dealership somehow, which for some people is a fair drive away. Then becaus eyou are getting your oil changed at Mazda...you have to schedule the new oil change. While waiting for the scheduled date for the oil change you drive you drive to the bank, get 100$ bills, drive over to the swedish rub and tug, then the next day, take your little cousins to wonderland, THEN get you oil changed. By this time you have another 400kms on the car. You no longer have "no change of kilometers between oil changes and date" and if you trust a car manufacturer to just be okay with it every time you are more gullible than I.

It's like trusting Ferris Bueller with your class attendance sheet...not as good idea.

It has happened is all that I am saying. I'd rather not leave it up to some person who will never see the whites of your eyes to decide your fate if your engine blows up.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3....not at all...

As such, should warranty require the maintenance records, we will review these records and also take into consideration that the vehicle was stored (as indicated by no change of kilometers between oil changes and date.
    HUGE gray area...you are leaving this open to some paper pushers interpretation. how many kilometers will they let you drive in between the oil changes? you have to get to the dealership somehow, which for some people is a fair drive away. Then becaus eyou are getting your oil changed at Mazda...you have to schedule the new oil change. While waiting for the scheduled date for the oil change you drive you drive to the bank, get 100$ bills, drive over to the swedish rub and tug, then the next day, take your little cousins to wonderland, THEN get you oil changed. By this time you have another 400kms on the car. You no longer have "no change of kilometers between oil changes and date" and if you trust a car manufacturer to just be okay with it every time you are more gullible than I.

It's like trusting Ferris Bueller with your class attendance sheet...not as good idea.

It has happened is all that I am saying. I'd rather not leave it up to some person who will never see the whites of your eyes to decide your fate if your engine blows up.
    C'mon!! Common sense is wanting here!...How could you possibly have NO kilometers in between oil changes lol. The guy has to drive home and back doesn't he? lol.I think it's understood that what is meant is that he has very few kilometers showing, even a couple hundred kms would be fine.Point is if your going to store your vehicle it takes a little planning and timing but no biggy; Plan to change the oil immediately before and immediately after storage! What's the problem??

_3

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

_3....not at all...

You got to understand that the dealer has some pull in this too...so if soemthing where to happen the dealer can say to mazda canada that the car was taking care etc...alot of it has to do with the relelship you build with your dealer IMO
    Last edited by aris; 11-13-2009 at 10:39 AM. Reason: spelling
    ​A lion would never cheat on his wife, but a Tiger Wood.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aristeidis View Post
    You got to understand that the dealer has some pull in this too...so if soemthing where to happen the dealer can say to mazda canada that the car was taking care etc...alot of it has to do with the relelship you build with your dealer IMO
    Big +1 and keep your records

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

After the basic warranty runs out after 3 years/80km, what is covered?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    108 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by trademark83 View Post
    After the basic warranty runs out after 3 years/80km, what is covered?
    Go to the Mazda.ca site and search for standard warranty coverage, it'll give a complete list of whats covered.

_3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put about 600km from the oil change. So basically if I bring it in a month late and with 600km from the last oil change, do you think they can make a case out of that?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I put about 600km from the oil change. So basically if I bring it in a month late and with 600km from the last oil change, do you think they can make a case out of that?
    I can't see them giving you warranty hassle for that.
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I wouldn't worrie about it

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello Mr. Freire,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for allowing us the opportunity to respond.

We do not expect you to perform oil changes on a vehicle stored for 1 season, however, when removing the vehicle from storage, we would recommend an oil change, as fluids to break down over time, as well as kilometers. As such, should warranty require the maintenance records, we will review these records and also take into consideration that the vehicle was stored (as indicated by no change of kilometers between oil changes and date). Further, please note that oil changes are recommended every 8,000 km or 4 months and not 24k. We trust this clarifies our position on the matter. Should you require additional clarification, please call us toll-free at 1-800-263-4680 during regular business hours.

Regards,
    Mazda Canada Inc.

Hi Phillie86,

Any new developments re your warranty question. I have a similar situation. My 8 months service is due in Dec. I want to store my Mazda end of November and take it out of storage in April 2010. As such, I don't want to do the Dec oil change. Instead I want to do it in April 2010 (i.e. do the 8 month service at 12 months). In my situation, I wouldn't be able to prove that the vehicle was in storage by mileage between services. I might be able to get something from the insurance company. Mazda has not replied to my email yet.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by sip View Post
    Hi Phillie86,

Any new developments re your warranty question. I have a similar situation. My 8 months service is due in Dec. I want to store my Mazda end of November and take it out of storage in April 2010. As such, I don't want to do the Dec oil change. Instead I want to do it in April 2010 (i.e. do the 8 month service at 12 months). In my situation, I wouldn't be able to prove that the vehicle was in storage by mileage between services. I might be able to get something from the insurance company. Mazda has not replied to my email yet.
    To be honest their shouldn't be any problems...back in dec of 99 i bought my truck brand new and only drove it for 2 weeks then stored it for the winter and not once did i ever have any kind of issues with any warranty work
    Last edited by aris; 11-23-2009 at 10:19 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I went in to Westowne for an oil change before storeage, and they looked over the records and said that I didn't need an oil change and remember me being her not too long ago.

I told them the reasoning and why I'm doing it after the email I got from Mazda Canada. They said that I didn't have to and I should be fine. I even asked to speak to a manager and he told me it was alright.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well I went in to Westowne for an oil change before storeage, and they looked over the records and said that I didn't need an oil change and remember me being her not too long ago.

I told them the reasoning and why I'm doing it after the email I got from Mazda Canada. They said that I didn't have to and I should be fine. I even asked to speak to a manager and he told me it was alright.

That's good to hear

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I asked the dealer and the service manager recommended that I change oil before the storage (i.e end of this month). According to the dealer, no oil change is necessary in April 2010, when the car will be taken out of storage. The next oil change should be Aug 2010. The dealer feels that oil would not deteriorates in 4 month when the car in storage. The dealer's recommendation seems reasonable but unfortunately, Mazda recommends an additional oil change in April 2010, when the car is taken out of storage. This is their email.

Hello ,

Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for allowing us the opportunity to clarify the matter.

Oil should be changed within a period of 4 months or 8000 kms, whichever comes first. As such, we would recommend that you change your oil before storing your vehicle, as it will surpass the time period during storage. When storing a vehicle, it is generally recommended to do an oil change before storage and if the period of storage is greater than 4 months, then an oil change to be performed when the vehicle is taken out of storage, as oil deteriorates by time and use.

Regards,
    Mazda Canada Inc.

I like to go with the dealer's recommendation but I could be taking a chance with the warranty.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12