Thread: checking out used mazda3s

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default checking out used mazda3s

Hey all,

I'm going to be checking out some used mazda3s today that I might be getting. Any tips/advice on making sure the car is in good shape before I get it? I actually asked my mechanic to look at my potential purchase but he told me that with these cars the transmission (I'm getting manual) and engine are so bullet proof that if it sounds, feels, drives, and looks right it probably is fine. He told me to check for rust and sign of repainting, get a history report on it, anything else you think I should do?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: checking out used mazda3s

rust usually appears on the fenders and quarter panels near the top of the wheel well. so you could check for that. the front bumper clips on the sides break easy so check to see if that is still intact. door pillars can get rust too. hope you find the right one! great car. cheers
    Mazda 3 Aluminum Pedals | 6000k HIDs | Razo Shift Knob | LED Eyebrows | Stubby | Blacked out Emblems | TorontoMazda3.ca Decal | GV Front Lip | 17" Advanti M40 Bronze Time Attack Rims | Falken ZE912 Tires | Smoked Reflectors | Blue Calipers with Mazda Decal | AutoEXE Spoiler Wing | LED Interior Lights | 2008 OEM LED Tail Lights | 23% Tint All Around | Viper 2-way Alarm System | Clarion NX 409 | Clarion Integrated Bluetooth | CCFL Halo Angel Eyes | Custom Black and Blue Head Lights | Euro Yellow 3000k Fog Lights | Fujita F5 Cold Air Intake | Chrome Turn Signals | Hawk Brake Pads | Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Interior | DI-NOC Dry Carbon Fiber Wrapped Roof | Dry Carbon Fiber Front and Rear Flares | Mazdaspeed Catback Exhaust + Vibrant Resignator | Tien H-Tech Springs | Front Strut Bar | RhoPlate | etc.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Try to get access to the repair & maintenance history. Especially important tf it has any warranty left, as having a record of proper maintenance helps avoid problems when making warranty claims. But it is also nice to know that the prior owner didn't use the low-oil pressure light as the signal to change the oil........
    2008 Carbon Gray GT Sedan 5 Speed

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice. I found a potential car. Would you say that the following is a good trade:

I will give the guy my 2004 mazda3 gs automatic with 87,000.00km on it. and he will give me: $2400.00 plus a 2004 mazda3 with power package and sunroof in manual transmission with 151,000km on it.

Do you think this is fair? I know the kms are a lot but I figure the cash makes up for that. Am I wrong?

What do you all think about this amount of mileage on the mazda3?

Ride
    Das Auto
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I say step away and run for your life! If you're considering getting another Mazda3 why not get a newer model? Don't trade it for another 04 model it really doesn't make much sense cause you could end up with a worst vechicle then you first started..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first question would be why does this guy want to trade his car for one similar to what he already has? He just wants an auto-tranny maybe? Or is he trying to unload it? Did you get a carfax/carproof to make sure there have been no accidents? 151,000 is a LOT of km's.... almost double what you have which means you might run into more issues or find things might need replacing a lot sooner than your current car.

A word of advice, if you haven't already already done so, is to check the thread pertaining to the rust issues the 2004-2005 models have. This includes rear wheel wells, rockers panels, trunk lid, bumper seams, b-pillars... and for some people, bubbling on the roof of all places. (Ignore all that if you're already aware of this information).

Otherwise, if you've taken care of all these things, then it seems like a fair trade I suppose? There are quite a few people here who are pushing 200,000k and their cars are running fine. Just be aware of the things you'll need to have serviced in the near future.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Automatics are a lot easier to unload than manuals. And people with manuals can be extremely hard on them. At 187k you could be looking at a new clutch before long. Shocks are probably shot, or close to it. Brakes probably toast. $2400 doesn't seem like enough to me.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by DumpInfo View Post
    I say step away and run for your life! If you're considering getting another Mazda3 why not get a newer model? Don't trade it for another 04 model it really doesn't make much sense cause you could end up with a worst vechicle then you first started..
    Sorry I just assumed people had read my other thread. This is exactly what I am looking to do. I don't want my car in auto, I want it in manual. So I am looking for the exact same car but in manual. I don't have any money for a newer car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely be weary. You know the history and condition of your car. Chances are its more than likely something is wrong with the other car. It could be something minor, or it could be something major. 150k is the starting range for the failure of quite a few things, as previously mentioned. If you really want manual that badly, get the car inspected closely by a qualified mechanic.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    I would definitely be weary. You know the history and condition of your car. Chances are its more than likely something is wrong with the other car. It could be something minor, or it could be something major. 150k is the starting range for the failure of quite a few things, as previously mentioned. If you really want manual that badly, get the car inspected closely by a qualified mechanic.
    I was thinking the same thing so I called my mechanic. He has been my mechanic (and my grandfather's and parents' mechanic) for many years. He told me that for 50 bucks he will look at it but he doesn't think it is worth the time. He says that the engine and transmission on these cars are "bulletproof" and that I should check for rust, signs of repair/accident, and drive the car. He said if it sounds right, feels right, looks right, and drives right it probably is right. So I am not sure what to make of that.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My car is an example of what to expect. When I bought it, it had 168K on it. I did not get it checked out by a qualified mechanic. I did however get it checked out by a family friend who is quite knowledgeable in fixing cars. At the time it drove fine. Engine was still strong.

A month or so down the road, the car felt weird going over bumps. Looks like the struts are shot (I'm waiting for my replacement KYBs tocome in). Also, there was a weird clunking noise every time you go over a bump. I had the car up on a lift, and it turned out one of the bushings for the rear control arm backed out. The transmission synchro would sometimes do weird things and not let you into gear and feels like its grinding sometimes during shifts. Also it feels like there is something loose in the drivetrain and the car shudders when starting from a complete stop. I am going to take my car to a mechanic on Wednesday to get the tranny fluid switched to synthetic, and also ask him about the shuddering.

Moral of the story, although the engine is fine, its all the little things that add up. Plus, no matter what you do, the car will feel "looser" because of the higher mileage.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stevenma188 View Post
    My car is an example of what to expect. When I bought it, it had 168K on it. I did not get it checked out by a qualified mechanic. I did however get it checked out by a family friend who is quite knowledgeable in fixing cars. At the time it drove fine. Engine was still strong.

A month or so down the road, the car felt weird going over bumps. Looks like the struts are shot (I'm waiting for my replacement KYBs tocome in). Also, there was a weird clunking noise every time you go over a bump. I had the car up on a lift, and it turned out one of the bushings for the rear control arm backed out. The transmission synchro would sometimes do weird things and not let you into gear and feels like its grinding sometimes during shifts. Also it feels like there is something loose in the drivetrain and the car shudders when starting from a complete stop. I am going to take my car to a mechanic on Wednesday to get the tranny fluid switched to synthetic, and also ask him about the shuddering.

Moral of the story, although the engine is fine, its all the little things that add up. Plus, no matter what you do, the car will feel "looser" because of the higher mileage.

Oy. On the one hand, I am greatful for all the advice you all have to have. On the other hand, it looks like I won't be getting my stickshift anytime soon. Oh well. Thanks for the advice y'all!