Thread: 2010 Mazda3 - Auto-headlights sensor kicking in too early, dimming dashboard

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 Mazda3 - Auto-headlights sensor kicking in too early, dimming dashboard

Because the sensor - at least mine - seems to be overly sensitive, the headlights are coming on in brighter conditions (more so than my 2006 MZ3). Consequently the dashboard lighting dims so I find I am constantly hitting the override button.

Is anyone else experiencing this?

Unfortunately the adjustment for the sensor is only accessible by a Mazda dealer in the Personalized Settings memory for the car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Mazda3 - Auto-headlights sensor kicking in too early, dimming dashboard

I thought the dashboard lighting is always off when the DRL's are on, and lights up when your headlights turn on?? Maybe that's just a 2006+ thing? Weird...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Mazda3 - Auto-headlights sensor kicking in too early, dimming dashboard

Quote Originally Posted by mazdabetty View Post
    I thought the dashboard lighting is always off when the DRL's are on, and lights up when your headlights turn on?? Maybe that's just a 2006+ thing? Weird...
    The 2010 GTs have the black out guages, which are the ones where when the ignition is not in the on position, you can only see the needles but not the numbers/lines on the guages. So when it is in the "on" position the needles/lines/numbers light up always and only dim when the headlights are on.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this all the time. Especially, when it's one of those overcast yet bright days, sunglasses are an option and the lights come on. I'll take early lights over late any day.
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do this as well. But as Slideways said, I'd rather they came on when I don't need them then not come on when I need them.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well something has clearly changed with the calibration of 2010 Mazda3s sensor versus the previous generation. I don't recall ever having to use the dashboard lighting override button with my 2006 GT.

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

go to the delaer they can program it to be less sensitive i had the same problem with mine
    1991 Nissan Pathfinder - trade in, 2005 Mazda 3 GX ty grey - Write off, 2010 Mazda 3 GT E sedan CWP- trade in, 2010 Speed 3 w/tech CWP - Up for sale (soon), 2007 Mazda 3 GS silver- motor swapped in to 2009 MS3 CWP that had blown engine, 2002 BMW 330ci silver- new winter ride, 2005 BMW M3- new toy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by McGuyver_3 View Post
    go to the delaer they can program it to be less sensitive i had the same problem with mine
    The dealership showed me on the computer when it was connected to the personalization settings of my car that there are four options to select from:

High (Japan)
    Standard (Japan)
    Standard (All Others)
    Low

... none of the technicians were certain what those were so they are investigating.

What setting did you go with? Presumably Low refers to low-light, meaning the headlights come on later.. ?

I'm waiting to hear back from the dealership.

They offered to make the change at no cost.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had the same problem and yesterday went to the dealer. The service advisor didn't know what to do. Called the chief mechanic out. He knew about the setting and took it in changed in about 10 minutes. So far, it hasn't been turn on unexpectedly but it was sunny the last couple of days anyway. Now, I am looking forward for an overcast day. :-)

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by civuck View Post
    The dealership showed me on the computer when it was connected to the personalization settings of my car that there are four options to select from:

High (Japan)
    Standard (Japan)
    Standard (All Others)
    Low

... none of the technicians were certain what those were so they are investigating.

What setting did you go with? Presumably Low refers to low-light, meaning the headlights come on later.. ?

yes, "low" means it will take longer/very dark before the lights turn on
    my own 05 is set to "japan standard" when I messed with the settings, such as turning off the stupid seat beltminder chime
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Where (physically) is the sensor?

Uncle Ben
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by civuck View Post

High (Japan)
    Standard (Japan)
    Standard (All Others)
    Low

just set to low

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    yes, "low" means it will take longer/very dark before the lights turn on
    my own 05 is set to "japan standard" when I messed with the settings, such as turning off the stupid seat beltminder chime
    you got it

Quote Originally Posted by djltoronto View Post
    Where (physically) is the sensor?
    on the windshield by the rear view mirror