Thread: Searching For The Right Gauges...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Searching For The Right Gauges...

For the past 5 days I have been doing as much search as I can on gauges that I wanna install. I was even looking at YT vids, but in the end nothing really has helped me with making a decision. I would like to know what's the most popular gauges that MS owners have. So far, it seems like it's Prosports. On most forums, people put up pics, describe the install process but they don't really go into a review about them.

I've tried doing research on Prosports, STRI, Defi, and MadDog. I just don't like the look of other brands like HKS/Apexi and so on. If anything at all, Prosports has the most customer feedback with 50% of them being a good or bad one. I haven't found much on STRIs, as well as MadDog. The STRIs seem nice, but I don't like how the units are screwed up since each unit on the boost gauge measures 1.25 and not 1. I know Defi is probably the best brand, but do I really wanna spend over $800 on 2 gauges atm? No.. I want something more economical, while being reliable and worth while at the same time. I was actually gonna get some Defi Red Racers, since they were slightly cheaper that the regular Defis and do not require that control unit box. However, I don't like the fact that the peak/recall feature has been totally discarded.

So I'm stuck here with making a decision and would really appreciate some feedback on what's best.

Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 1,785 Times in 923 Posts
    Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Searching For The Right Gauges...

Garage 16 has a bunch of gauges on sale right now.
    In the past - Ive always used AutoMeter..trusting the accuracy outweighed how they looked

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

52mm or 60mm?

If you're going to use the CP-e 3-gauge dash pod, you need 52mm gauges. (I have one that I will be installing as soon as I get some gauges myself). Prosport premium or professional are the default choice, with swoosh gauges a close 2nd. (as per starscream's install). Defi and STRI are too expensive IMHO.

CTA Pat can get the prosports and the sandwich adapter for the spin-on oil filter conversion (if you plan on running oil pressure).

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    We don't recirculate our boost, we vent that hoe to the atmosphere. We don't suggest standing in the same room with this thing goes off. The pressure change will be so great that when ambient pressure returns to normal, you'll die from the bends.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I love my defi gauges they match perfectly however they are pricey not sure if thats the route you want. Other than that people use prosport to match spot look but some seem to have troubles with them

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes I will be getting 52mm and the plan is to eventually get the center dash pod, but for now I will be just getting 2 gauges and my future third will most likely be an A/F ratio gauge. I have seen the setup that Starscream has and they look pretty good. Defis are out of my range. I was thinking about either STRI or Maddad to be honest. Anyone have any positive feedback on Maddads?

Oh and btw is CTA Pat another forum user?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BoOdOg View Post
    I love my defi gauges they match perfectly however they are pricey not sure if thats the route you want. Other than that people use prosport to match spot look but some seem to have troubles with them
    exactly, and that's what i'm trying to avoid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what are the issues with prosports that you guys are alluding to? (i'm in the market for gauges as well).

cta patrique is a sponsor - cta motorsports in brampton. has / can get lots of goodies

maybe we should get a gauge group buy going ... see if we can get a discount/save on shipping

Quote Originally Posted by TriniFyah7 View Post

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yes I will be getting 52mm and the plan is to eventually get the center dash pod, but for now I will be just getting 2 gauges and my future third will most likely be an A/F ratio gauge. I have seen the setup that Starscream has and they look pretty good. Defis are out of my range. I was thinking about either STRI or Maddad to be honest. Anyone have any positive feedback on Maddads?

I run the Maddad's. What would you like to know?
    - Courtesy of Unoriginalusername
    "Friends don't let friends, apex early."- unknown
    2008.5 Black Mica Mazdaspeed3
    2005 Titanium Grey, 5spd, GT Sport Hatch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by horto View Post
    what are the issues with prosports that you guys are alluding to? (i'm in the market for gauges as well).

cta patrique is a sponsor - cta motorsports in brampton. has / can get lots of goodies

maybe we should get a gauge group buy going ... see if we can get a discount/save on shipping
    People have reported problems like: issues with zeroing the gauges, inaccurate readings (readings off by 1-3 psi for boost), cheap plastic on senders that break easily, sending units that don't last very long. I am not sure how true these are but they are based on others experience.

A group buy sounds like a good idea

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zoom Zoom Boy View Post
    I run the Maddad's. What would you like to know?
    Umm, just basically is there any major issues with them since you had installed? How long have you had them for?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Umm, just basically is there any major issues with them since you had installed? How long have you had them for?
    Bought them used from another member about a year and a half ago. The previous member had them installed for about a year previously I believe.

The boost and oil pressure work flawlessly, but my EGR gauge is a little flakey. Happens after I've been driving the car for a while, park and turn it off. When I turn it back on and drive again while the car is still warm, the gauge works only intermittently. I thought maybe it was the sensor, but Jimmy and Rich at Street Performance think it is the gauge itself. Otherwise really happy with them. They look almost identical to the 3 gauge cluster of the car, including the faux metal trim around the gauges and even the lighting looks OEM. Having the remote control to change warning settings and values, as well as, recall features is a nice bonus too. Oh, the oil pressure gauge is noisy if you are at idle and have the stereo off and fan turned low. Since the oil pressure flutters, you can hear a little bit of ticking as it changes range.

The Maddads are not Defi quality, but for the money, offer really good value and performance and are the closest to looking like OEM gauges for the MS3 in my opinion.

A word of advice, get someone knowledgeable to install the gauges. It is not an easy job to do properly and professionally. Jimmy, Rich and the team at Street Performance did the install for both myself and the prior owner, as well as the deinstall.

Here is a video of my exact set-up taken by the previous owner.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRCmZDbQkxk

http://www.youtube.com/user/spooled3#p/u/2/nB1wnKdIT10

Video from Maddad also:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p62-_m4Rwgo
    Last edited by Zoom Zoom Boy; 03-29-2010 at 03:01 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm in the process of a triple gauge install myself.

I was already going with the carbon fiber interior, so I went with Autometer Pro Comp CF electric gauges - Oil Pressure/Water temp/Volts

I bought them off of eBay from ihavethebestpricesperformance for less than $150 to my door. It would be triple that here in Canada. If you don't mind sun-faded packaging, then that's the route to go. No duty or taxes. He's a good dude.

I am not knocking our sponsors, and I support them at every opportunity, but I live rural, south of Belleville, so buying in the GTA is a PITA.
    Mazda ... gone zoom zoom!
    2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB 'Lifted'/ 2008 Ford Escape Limited
    P.S. Due to recent budget cuts and the rising cost of electricity, gas and oil, as well as current market conditions, 'The Light at the End of the Tunnel' has been turned off.