Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Power Steering Failure 2007-2009 (Recall Issued by Mazda Canada)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation Power Steering Failure 2007-2009 (Recall Issued by Mazda Canada)

I was idling for about 2 minutes, odd grinding noise came from the engine and the check engine came on. When i went to pull away, no power steering, no fluid leak either. I took it right away to Direct Mazda in Mississauga, and they had me patched up in a couple of hours.

Apparently it's a known issue of sorts, they knew exactly what went wrong and had the kit to repair it.

My first real problem with the car and i've only had it for 1 year now, with 39,000 kms and change on it.
    Electric Blue 2009 Mazda 3 Sport GX 5 Speed
    35% Front Tints & 23% Rear Tints || WeatherTech || JBL
    GTO8628/GTO8608C from Audio Heaven

Ride
    '18 Subaru WRX / '20 CX9
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    265 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Power Steering Failure 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Anrky View Post
    I was idling for about 2 minutes, odd grinding noise came from the engine and the check engine came on. When i went to pull away, no power steering, no fluid leak either. I took it right away to Direct Mazda in Mississauga, and they had me patched up in a couple of hours.

Apparently it's a known issue of sorts, they knew exactly what went wrong and had the kit to repair it.

My first real problem with the car and i've only had it for 1 year now, with 39,000 kms and change on it.
    welcome back to tm3 dax lol...theres a TSB on this issue..a few members were affected by it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah I just had it twice in the past 2 days. have an 2008 3, about 40k on it and no power steering light has came on, gonna take it to MOT this week and get it sorted out. This car is hard as hell to drive without power steering lol
    2008 Galaxy Grey sedan - 20% tints all around - PRM CAI - Vibrant cat-back - Megan Racing Springs - TWM Short Shifter - 6000k hid's - Orion HP12D2 12" Subwoofer - Pioneer GM-D8500M

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My 09 has yet to be affected by any issues. *Knocks on wood* Gotta love warranty tho!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was a Pacific Mall yesterday and my Power Steering failed too! Talk about panic as I was stuck in one of the busiest parking lots in the world LOL especially on a holiday, my car only has 35,000km on it =S

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CM3 View Post
    I was a Pacific Mall yesterday and my Power Steering failed too! Talk about panic as I was stuck in one of the busiest parking lots in the world LOL especially on a holiday, my car only has 35,000km on it =S
    called MOT yesterdat and they said there is no TSB on it?! Gonna bring it in Thursday and see what they say though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thats odd because this seems to be pretty common, a co-worker with an 08 sedan had the exact same problem. Last month, he was pulling out of a plaza and all the sudden the power steering failed. He had to get it towed in.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TSB>>>>>>>>

TSB: 06-002/09

2007-2009 MAZDA3 AND 2007-2009 MAZDA5 - HEAVY STEERING EFFORT WITH POWER STEERING MALFUNCTION INDICATOR LAMP ON AND DTC C1099

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)/VINS

2007-2009 Mazda3 vehicles (NOT including Mazdaspeed3) with VINs below (produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
    2007-2008 JM1BK****** 742201 - 880507
    2008-2009 JM1BK****** 100002 - 251982
    2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with VINS JM1CR***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008)
    DESCRIPTION

Some customers may feel that the steering effort is hard or heavy with power steering malfunction indicator lamp illumination and DTC C1099 [ELECTRO HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST STEERING (EHPAS)] stored in memory. This problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed. The system then goes into a fail safe function.
    Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure.
    REPAIR PROCEDURE OUTLINE

1. Verify customer concern.
    2. Clean the steering gear box by flushing all fluid lines with 10 quarts of fluid.
    3. Remove the electric power steering oil pump assembly (A) and pipe assembly (B).
    4. Replace the power steering oil pump unit (shaded part of A) on the pump assembly with oil pump kit.
    5. Install the repaired power steering oil pump assembly and new pipe assembly.
    6. Fill the pump reservoir with ATF MIII and remove air from the line.

Oakville Mazda fixed mine with no issues, 6 hours and done......if you can take it there..
    "Every generation needs a new revolution"....Thomas Jefferson
    PRM Intake, Fog light DRL's, Exedy Stage1 Clutch, CP-e RMM.....
    09 Sport GT, ZoomZoom

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have experienced this a couple of times with my M5 (2009 with 22k). It seems strange that corrosion would be a problem at such an early age, unless air is getting in somehow? Then again, there are no leaks evident on the driveway.

The problem seems to be electrical. Turning off the ignition and restarting the vehicle usually fixes the problem, maybe that resets a breaker.

Checked with a dealer yesterday and they are 7 to 10 days back-ordered for the parts

B
    2015 MAZDA3 GS 2017 MAZDA CX5 GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My gf just had this happen to her 2009 last Thursday. Dropped it off overnight at MOT on Monday and they replaced the power steering pump. They did note on the work order that the line(s) had to be replaced as they are on back order.

My question is if "this problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed", why would they change the pump before the line?

Is it possible for the pump to fail with the old line depositing crap into the new pump?

Thoughts?
    "OK I get it, I'm an idot. But I still need to fix my bike so does anyone know where to start?" - sti2gsxr

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down Re: Power Steering Failure 2009

Happened to me a few days ago. Scary sensation especially as it took me by surprise turning left on an advance green through a busy intersection. Wheel locked up, jumped out my hands and I was heading straight towards the sidewalk. Managed to regain control somewhat and pull over. Then continued driving for a bit until I could find a place to pull over and restart the vehicle. Light was still illuminated after 3 restarts but went off on the 4th and I was able to drive normal. Hoping to have dealer inspect and book me in for repairs next few days as this is definitely a safety concern and should have been a recall from the get go.
    -=2008.5 Mazda 3 GT Sedan in Sunlight Silver=-

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Silv3r View Post
    Happened to me a few days ago. Scary sensation especially as it took me by surprise turning left on an advance green through a busy intersection. Wheel locked up, jumped out my hands and I was heading straight towards the sidewalk. Managed to regain control somewhat and pull over. Then continued driving for a bit until I could find a place to pull over and restart the vehicle. Light was still illuminated after 3 restarts but went off on the 4th and I was able to drive normal. Hoping to have dealer inspect and book me in for repairs next few days as this is definitely a safety concern and should have been a recall from the get go.
    I agree, IMO Mazda should be conducting a recall rather than face the huge negative publicity that would come from a Toyota accelerator type problem. Mazda has a pretty good quality rep. - I would hate to see it tarnished.

I'm not a tiny guy and it takes a good effort to crank that wheel with the PS off. I've owned cars without PS and this is much worse.

I hate to think what would happen if he PS failed on a frail person in the middle of a turn or while trying to evade an obstacle. It can even surprise a person of normal strength, as you don't realize the PS is off until you try to make a turn or lane change.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow
    It figures...just happened to me today same as mentioned above "power steering failure"
    35 degree in drive thru
    before it happened... wife was complaining of her feet "floor/wall" being hot
    has this been an issue for anyone else?

Thanks,
    Gummi

BTW great site guys....thanks

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2008.5 mazda 3GT 31,000km

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happened to me today too. Had to pull over--read the manual--restarted then it was good. But this is definitely a safety issue. Will give Oakville Mazda a call tomorrow!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and mines a 2008.5 Mazda3 GT at 50000+ kms.
    reading slideways post--mine is one of the affected models/VIN

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@ shaqkur-- Oakville Mazda is now QEW Mazda different location same people and they fixed my PS problem with no issues. My pump cut out twice and it was at around 40000 when it first happened, on a hot day, in a drive through, turning left.....second time I was in traffic and not too hot.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got a 2008.5 GT as well with 50K +. Interesting to note it happened to me on that really hot tuesday this week after at least 30 minutes of highway driving and stop and go traffic. Still did not have to swing by the dealer, busy busy week.
    Last edited by Silv3r; 05-27-2010 at 08:18 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I believe this affects the 08-09 models as my sis has 08 and she had that issue today. So aparently it's the pump that is the issue When it gets too hot as it's part hydraulic part mechanical, it's a warranty fix anyhow so that's a good thing. Guess this heat didn't help much, so my sis had to leave it at QEW Mazda overnight As she got the car there after service hours, so we'll pick it up tomorrow sometime...that's crazy!
    Last edited by Shotta-KB; 05-27-2010 at 11:40 PM.
    07 Mazda 3 GT || Vibrant Exhaust || MS Intake || HID Heads || LED Tails || SSG Lip || Angel Eyes || Smoked LED Reflectors || Blue LED Interior || Nokya Yellow Fogs || Painted Calipers || Shark-Fin || Clarion NX700 || 12" dB Audio Sub & JBL Amp || 18" Fin 7 Rims w/ Falken 912 tires || Eibach Lowered || LED 3rd Brake || Remote Starter w/ Trunk release || Seductive Sedan || NextMod || TM3 Decals || Axela...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by plontoc View Post
    Is it possible for the pump to fail with the old line depositing crap into the new pump?

Thoughts?
    from what I heard from QEW Mazda rep the issue is not so much the lines but the pump failing when it overheats and given the recent temperature hikes it doesn't help. I suppose changig the line is a precautionary step

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Shotta-KB View Post
    from what I heard from QEW Mazda rep the issue is not so much the lines but the pump failing when it overheats and given the recent temperature hikes it doesn't help. I suppose changig the line is a precautionary step
    The lines have a coating that flakes off and clogs the pump, from what I've heard. The full and proper fix is to change the lines too.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Happened to my mom's car just yesterday. Obviously hot outside so that looks to be a cause. Was stopped waiting to turn at a light for awhile and luckly only happened when she got into the parking lot and not while driving. Got it towed to QEW Mazda. Mine is apparently within the VIN range yet no issues on mine as of yet *knocks on wood*.

Interesting issue though.
    2008.5 GT Sport - Black Mica - SOLD!
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica - Minor Mods

Ride
    my husband
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm gonna have to take mine in. Happened to me (well Mat) while driving my car in 32 degree weather in Old Quebec this weekend... FML... FAIL

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had mine go the other day. Luckily Select Mazda in Hamilton was able to fix it the same day.

Did anyone else though have their steering wheel make a squealing noise right after they got their power steering pump and lines fixed? Mines been squealing since and I don't know what's the issue.

Currently I'm sitting at QEW Mazda and informed them of the issue. Hopefully they know what's going on.
    Custom Signature designed by PCLoadLetter
    2008.5 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 GS
    Mods to date:18" RX-8 Rims~*~Axela Badge~*~Mazda3 logo above glovebox~*~LED Third Brake Light and Side Markers~*~Progress Rear Sway Bar~*~Eibach Pro-Kits~*~PRM Intake~*~Purple Interior + Footwell Lights~*~Purple Calipers with Mazda 3 decals~*~Purple Angel Eyes~*~Purple lug nuts~*~35% Solarguard Tint~*~VG Sharkfin~*~8000k HIDs~*~
    Look for the new and improved TM3 Times coming April 1st!!!! New Year, New Times!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No squeal from mine after the repair........

Nice avatar She-Prime

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast