Thread: Review of Motorcraft/Ford Synthetic Transmission Fluid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up Review of Motorcraft/Ford Synthetic Transmission Fluid

I’m sure many of you have already read of this Motorcraft/Ford fluid that people have started using in the Speed3 recently.

I’ve been running MT90 pretty much from the get go and the LSD whine started getting on my nerves so I decided to give this Motorcraft stuff a try given the positive feedback on the US forums.

Getting the Fluid:
    Getting my hands on the Motorcraft fluid was easier than I expected. I called the three Ford dealerships closest to me and gave them the part number XT-M5-QS and was quoted a price per quart ranging from $24 to $28. All of these dealerships had the fluid in stock. Naturally I went to the dealership with the lowest price, which was East Court Lincoln over at Sheppard and McCowan. The parts guy was very helpful and ended up giving me the fluid at the “trades” price of $20 per quart. You need three quarts. I also picked up a small bottle of friction modifier in case I needed it (which I didn’t in the end).

Getting the Other Stuff:
    I also stopped by Mazda of Toronto and got two new crush washers for the transmission drain and fill plugs. Although some argue that this isn’t necessary, I don’t want to risk my transmission leaking because of a one dollar washer.

You will also need some sort of doodad for filling the transmission oil. I picked up a tunnel filling tube device from Parts Source.

Changing the Fluid:
    Changing the transmission oil isn’t difficult but it does require that the car be completely level when filling the fluid. I did this by jacking the car up on all four corners using axle stands. Remove the airbox then jack up the car and remove the plastic undershield. Once you’ve done that, you can see both the drain plug and the fill plug. Position your oil pan underneath and using your 24mm socket and a low profile ratchet, open the drain plug. Make sure to leave the fill plug in so that the oil doesn’t gush out all over your suspension. Once completely drained, reinstall the drain plug with the new crush washer and torque to 30 – 42 ft/lbs. I torqued mine to 35 ft/lbs which seemed excessive but I wanted to follow the torque spec.

Next open the fill plug and use your filling doodad to fill the oil from the top of the engine compartment and let it flow down into the transmission. Keep filling the transmission until the oil starts to overflow out of the fill plug. I put all three quarts in and then watched a good 1/3 of a L drain out. Could have probably gone slower so not to waste the oil but come on, what am I going to do with a 1/3 of a quart just sitting around? Wait until no more oil overflows and then put the fill plug with new washer back in and again, torque to 30 – 42 ft/lbs. I also torqued this to 35 ft/lbs.

Now re-assemble everything and you’re done.

End Result:
    This Motorcraft/Ford stuff is amazing. The transmission is smoother than it ever was with the MT90. The gears are easier to engage and less notchy. Best of all, no more LSD whine.

For those of you looking to change your transmission fluid, definitely look into this stuff. It’s expensive but for good reason.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Review of Motorcraft/Ford Synthetic Transmission Fluid

nice review!

one thing i might add is, if you're doing it yourself, see if you can loosen the fill plug *first* before opening the drain plug. Don't want to drain the transmission then find out you can't fill it

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree, the Motorcraft fluid is good stuff. I've been running it in my 2.0L/5spd since October and it does make a noticeable difference in shift smoothness. The transmission seems quieter too.

Yes it is expensive but I didn't find the price too bad at $22/L. In my area Royal Purple costs $27-28/L and even Syntec 75W90 is $13-15/L so the Ford stuff seemed fairly competitive price-wise.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll have to keep this stuff in mind although I'm only 5k or so into my last tranny fluid change (I was also about 5k or so into the prior one when my engine blew...haha) so it'll be a good while before it's necessary to do it. Probably and end of summer/fall thing since I'll be tracking the car and putting on a ton of commuting miles.
    2006 Winning Blue MZ3 Sport GT - Scrapped

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    nice review!

one thing i might add is, if you're doing it yourself, see if you can loosen the fill plug *first* before opening the drain plug. Don't want to drain the transmission then find out you can't fill it
    Excellent point! But then make sure to close it back up before opening the drain plug. Otherwise get ready to clean up a huge mess.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I was reading about this fluid on the US forum also. Great review!! I will definitely do this mod when it gets warm.
    ¤ 2008.5 CWP MS3 ¤

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Our Sponsor (Elite Mazda Gatineau) had the Motorcarft additive in-stock.
    They did my transmission oil change with Castrol Synthec 75W90 and added the Motorcraft LSD stuff.
    Really satisfied with the result.

COBB AP Stage II, Goodridge G-Stop brake lines, Saikou Michi OCC, Hothkis Sway Bar kit, GT Spec Rear Lower tie Brace, Koni Sport Shocks, Eibach Pro Kit Springs, SPC adjustable rear camber arms, CP-e TMIC, SU Boost tubes, CP-e HPFP, CP-e X-Cel CAI, CP-e Turbo Inlet Pipe, Forge V2 BPV, CP-e MM, Street Unit Test Pipe, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, TWM SS Kit with Bushings & Knob, SU Shortcut, 4300K HID fog conversion kit, Apexi Turbo Timer

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Our Sponsor (Elite Mazda Gatineau) had the Motorcarft additive in-stock.
    They did my transmission oil change with Castrol Synthec 75W90 and added the Motorcraft LSD stuff.
    Really satisfied with the result.
    This stuff isn't really an additive, it's the actual transmission fluid. I have no idea what they added to your car. Maybe it was some form of friction modifier.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah, Ford also has a limited slip friction modifier additive which they spec for use with their 75W140 synthetic gear lube in limited slip diffs on trucks/SUVs. I would think this stuff is also appropriate/safe to use in a FWD transaxle with LSD like the MS3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Harbour Rat View Post
    Yeah, Ford also has a limited slip friction modifier additive which they spec for use with their 75W140 synthetic gear lube in limited slip diffs on trucks/SUVs. I would think this stuff is also appropriate/safe to use in a FWD transaxle with LSD like the MS3.
    I bought the friction modifier and was tempted to add in 1/2 the bottle but then I read some speculative posts that it would degrade and rust the syncros.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Here it is:
    http://www.frsport.com/FR-Motorcraft...il_p_2288.html

My senior mechanic recommended me to add this to the transmission oil. It is an additive.
    Approved for use by Mazda, won't void warranty.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 007 View Post
    Here it is:
    http://www.frsport.com/FR-Motorcraft...il_p_2288.html

My senior mechanic recommended me to add this to the transmission oil. It is an additive.
    Approved for use by Mazda, won't void warranty.
    The one that I got had the same part number but came in a different looking bottle.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

won't adding redline's friction modifier into the MT90 fix the LSD whine issue?
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    won't adding redline's friction modifier into the MT90 fix the LSD whine issue?
    Probably but at the cost of shift quality.