Thread: DSC Button

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default DSC Button

Hah this might be a newb question, but when you disable the DSC system on start up, if you KEEP holding the button, both indicator lights shut off for good. You can't turn the system back on / off until you reset the car. What mode is the car in at this point? Is this a way to disable the system and keep the amber lights off?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: DSC Button

I'm not sure, I didn't even know that holding it for a longer period shut it of off completely. But now I'm wondering myself, I'll google around on my lunch today and see what I can dig up if no one responds before than
    2001 Mazda P5 Black - Sold
    2005 Mazda 3 GT Black - Sold

2007 MS3 Cosmic Blue Mica
    Cobb SF SRI - Cobb AP - Cobb TIH - CP-E TMIC - CP-E HPFP - CP-E DP - CP-E RMM(65A) - JBR TMM(80A) - Forge BPV - EGR Delete - SM OCC - Ford Full Synthetic MT Fluid - 225/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12's - TWM STS + bushings - 8000K HID Fogs - KY + Eibach Prokit Springs - JBR RSB - Rhoplate - Blue LED Interior lights - Black Weathertech liners - Blue SICKSPEED Horns - Blackvue DR400GHD
    TBI: Thermal TB and Intake Gasket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
    Hah this might be a newb question, but when you disable the DSC system on start up, if you KEEP holding the button, both indicator lights shut off for good. You can't turn the system back on / off until you reset the car. What mode is the car in at this point? Is this a way to disable the system and keep the amber lights off?
    I found some good threads online about this subject, with a quick google search.

I found this one to be the most relevant , check it out for more info on the subject.

http://www.msprotege.com/forum/showt...3686624&page=3

I know it says MS protege, but it's a MS3 thread/section

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Skimmed through that thread, but it seems that most people are talking about the following scenarios:

1) Hitting DSC with car on disables traction control
    2) Holding DSC with car off, while starting the car, will disable both traction control AND stability control

But no one seems to have stumbled upon the 3rd scenario:

3) Like scenario #2, but keep holding down the DSC button... the lights will turn off and you can no longer control the DSC system.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by -cj- View Post
    Skimmed through that thread, but it seems that most people are talking about the following scenarios:

1) Hitting DSC with car on disables traction control
    2) Holding DSC with car off, while starting the car, will disable both traction control AND stability control

But no one seems to have stumbled upon the 3rd scenario:

3) Like scenario #2, but keep holding down the DSC button... the lights will turn off and you can no longer control the DSC system.
    IDK, seems like #3 is similar to #2 scenario.. except you holding the button down extra long?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

hitting the dsc turns off both. holding it down doesnt really change anything imo, I've tried both ways.
    Garrick
    08 MS3 hyperTech Tuned-COBB SRI- TRZ dogbone- Forge BPV-
    13 ram 1500 sport (Hemi)
    88 ae92gtz sold old baby

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by oneurt View Post
    hitting the dsc turns off both. holding it down doesnt really change anything imo, I've tried both ways.
    Well from what I've read just turning it off, only turns of TC and not DSC systems.. holding the button down at start up turns off both apparently. I'll test when I leave work.. the threads I've read, ppl claim you can notice the difference from just hitting the button .vs holding it down while starting the car.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turok's right, I tested it at the track... First time out there and I wanted to see if I could throttle steer the car, and to my surprise I thought I was doing it like a pro and then someone showed me a video of my brakes engaging on my rear passenger side while I was hitting a hard right turn. I obviously wasn't braking (no brake lights), so it was definitely the car, trying to doing it's job and keep me from spinning. After that I tried scenario #2 and fully disabled the system and the car behaved completely different. So it's confirmed, #1 and #2 are different... I just don't know what #3 does, if anything other than turning off the lights

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I tested #3 this evening, held the button and the DSC OFF light disappeared (I was not able to turn it off or on without a full shutdown/restart as CJ mentioned). So tried to spin the wheels and the TC light came on. Maybe #3 (if it is really a 3rd option) keeps TC on but DSC systems off? It felt to me like DSC systems were off, I went for a nice spin around my area and it really felt like the DSC systems were not doing anything.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

interesting, I never tracked my car when I tried this so I never really pushed the car all that hard.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had the same experiences as some of you.
    I push the dsc off button while all the check lights are on, immediately following startup. DSC OFF and the "slippery car" light illuminate (TCS OFF)... This is the FULL off mode for the nannies. I have rotated the car in this mode. Be careful if you aren't experienced though.
    I've also tried holding the button just for curiosity. The lights go off and you can't do anything with the DSC until you restart the car.
    Thanks

Thanks
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is there a way to shut off DSC permanently? I never want it on... Is there a fuse i can pull or something. Nothing worse then wanting a quick launch but forgetting to disengage the DSC and coming out of the hole snail like!

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know this is an old thread, but I think just hitting the button with the car on does do something with the DSC. When I leave it on, the back end will step out under trail braking, but gets right back in line without any correction. When I turn it off, one push with the car running, under trail breaking, the back will rotate, and I can hold it there for as long as I'd like relatively drama free. Now I'm off to see what turning it off while starting the car does in the same driving scenario...

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just went for a rip in a snowy lot out in acton and found there to be no noticeable differences in the confines of the lot between DSC OFF, off with both lights on, and off with both lights off. I've always noticed that the tail was happier and more controlled with the throttle with the DSC in normal off, than with it on. I guess turning it off with the lights off just makes the dash look cleaner while rolling around. That's my spin on it, but it could be that the DSC will intervene a little closer to the limits of the vehicle with it in normal off than with it fully off. I just didn't have the space to fully test out all three "off" modes.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,156 Times in 643 Posts
    Mentioned
    295 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't know if they changed it with the 2010's and I haven't tried any of these holding at startup sort of things but...a snowy lot e-brake turning, with the dsc switched on the car will try to correct itself (noticable braking of one of the fronts) but with the dsc off the car will let me slide fully around without intervention at all.

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the tripple post, but I had to get to the bottom of this. That other thread that was linked to was whack, and didn't even mention the lights off scenario. So upon further investigation, I've found this:
    With DSC off normal. (DSC OFF) traction control does not intervene. The light for loss of traction does illuminate, but it does not limit wheel slip. It does however feel as though there is some computer power/torque limitation going on, which we all know as fact. I also have written before that the stability control gives you a longer leash. As to the length, I don't know. I may very well be turned right off.
    With DSC off in hack mode. (DSC OFF, loss off traction light illuminated all the time) the car burns the tires through third. It almost feels as though the torque limiter is removed or lessened in it's effect. As far as stability control, I cannot comment. These tests were all done in an empty, dry parking lot. Wasn't able to start tossing the car about.
    With the DSC button depressed through ignition and held until both lights are off, there is no longer any control given with the button. It's locked. Now, when revved to 3000 and dumped the clutch, as in the last two tests, traction control DOES intervene quite abruptly and cuts power hard. Again I cannot comment on what it does tithe stability control as these were all straight line tests. It is my belief, until I can do some stability tests, that the third method, actually locks the traction control and possibly the stability control on, and isn't an off setting at all. The way the TC comes in is as if the button hasn't even been depressed at all. So far, I feel as though I have the most control over what the vehicle is doing, with both lights illuminated. The car seems to give me more power in the first three gears than in any other configuration(strictly butt dyno of course, but for what it's worth, I've been driving a very long time both on and off circuit, and have driven a lot of fast cars).

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What a dead forum.

Ride
    '98 BMW 750iL
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,136 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    299 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maybe wait until the holidays are over?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Still no replies.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could i use the mazdaspeed button on my basic mazda3?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

???

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What's the question? Seems like you confirmed what's listed above...? Or did I miss something?

Banned
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SpliffstaR View Post
    Could i use the mazdaspeed button on my basic mazda3?
    My question was, what does this mean?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh, heh no clue. If he means DSC button and not "Mazdaspeed button" (how cool would that be tho!), I believe most newer Mazda 3's come with DSC. Wife's 07 doesn't have it, but I think 08/09's might.