Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G2 road test - suggestions for manual trans.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default G2 road test - suggestions for manual trans.

Hey,

My better half will take her G2 exam next month, but our car is manual. Any suggestions for the test? Things like always keep it in the first gear at traffic lights, not changing gears in the intersection, etc. I heard that it's not a good idea to show up for G2 with a manual and without double control...

How's the exam centre in Hamilton (Stoney Creek actually)? Does anyone know the route they take?

Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: G2 road test - suggestions for manual trans.

Places are pretty lenient. I mean, look how many bad drivers are on the roads. The main focus won't be on how well she operates a standard transmission, but on the rules of the road itself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and not to stall the engine thats a auto fail
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Carbon Grey

Mods to date: 8000K HID, 3000K HID Fogs with smoked tint, Angel Eyes, Eye Lids, Smoked LED 3rd Break Light, Led Interior Lighting, Open Mouth Grill, Front Lip, Rear Flares, OEM Side Skirts, Custom Black Emblems, TM3 License Plate Covers & Rear TM3 Stickers, 2-way Viper Alarm, 23% Tinted Windows, Black Reflectors, 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, Eibach Pro Kits, Smoked Side Marker, Tinted Rear Tails, VG shark fin, Hella Horns, 18" Tenzo Type M Version 1 Black wrapped with 225/40/18 Nankang NSII, RHO Plate, Magnaflow CBE

Official TM3 food tester froggy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

big big one with a manual car don't rest you hand on the shifter! shift and bring your hand right back up to the wheel
    there's no such thing as too much zoom zoom

Thanks to MazdaBetty for the avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mazdabetty View Post
    OHHHHH I HATED IT when people used to steal my pole

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I didnt know all these rules to manual, thank god I learned AFTER I got my G.

Black Mica 2005 Mazda 3 GS 5-Speed Fully Loaded
    Mods:23% Tints, Kenstyle Lip Kit, RX8 Rims, Yellow Koni's, Ebiache Sportline, Red CP-E Plate, Fogs, Window Visors, VG Sharkfin, Red Gorilla Lugnuts, PIAA Wipers, Ractive SRI, 6000k HID's, Hawk Brake Pads, Open Mouth Grill, Axela Badge, Red Lighted Door Sills, LED License Plate Lights, LED Dome and Map Lights, Carbon Fiber Mazdaspeed 5spd Shiftknob, TM3 Plates, PINK Angel Eyes (Suppose to be RED.../cry)
    Future Mods:Fix Angel Eyes, HID Fogs, Eyelids

Ride
    CX-5
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Riftler View Post
    Wow I didnt know all these rules to manual, thank god that I am going learn how to drive stick, since I got my G.
    +1
    I don't buy a car with out AWD.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow I didnt know all these rules to manual, thank god I learned AFTER I got my G.
    doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me when sharing the road with you... lol!

Official TM3 food tester froggy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some of our B.C members can confirm for me if this is still the case there, but if you want to drive a manual car there you have to take a test with a manual which will allow you to drive both manual and automatic cars. If you took your road test with an automatic you'd only be allowed to drive automatics

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by froggy View Post
    Some of our B.C members can confirm for me if this is still the case there, but if you want to drive a manual car there you have to take a test with a manual which will allow you to drive both manual and automatic cars. If you took your road test with an automatic you'd only be allowed to drive automatics
    They should start doing that here in Ontario. Quite frankly I believe that everyone should drive manual here regardless. With automatic cars people think they can multitask just because they don't have to pay attention to shifting. It pisses me off to see people talking on their phones, doing their makeup or eating a cheeseburger while they drive...It's dangerous. If you want to do that kind of stuff, pull over on the side of the road and knock yourself out, but don't do while my cars on the road beside yours because all it takes is a split second of lost concentration for someone to hit your car and I must say, getting into an accident, no matter how small it may seem is quite the inconviencence.

If anyone here has ever driven in Europe they'd agree with me that the people there are for the most part better drivers and I contribute a lot of that to them all driving stick as opposed to auto.

As for advice on the G2 road test, firstly, good luck to her and secondly just listen to what people before me have said....Don't leave your hand on the shifter, make sure to downshift/be in gear when crossing the train tracks...I did my roadtest for my G with a standard car and other than those two rules I was fine simply following the regular rules of the road. Also, if she's fortunate enough to get someone at the test centre who actually knows about cars, they might even go a bit easier on marking her out of respect for her driving a standard vehicle.

--- CURRENT - 2012 BMW 328i 6MT :: White on Red ---

--- OLD - 2006 Mazda3 GT GFX 5MT :: Black on Black ---

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Impressive View Post

If anyone here has ever driven in Europe they'd agree with me that the people there are for the most part better drivers and I contribute a lot of that to them all driving stick as opposed to auto.
    I would attribute that to the tests being actual tests as opposed to the "let's take it once around the block shall we" type of tests we have here. IIRC in Poland EVERYONE takes the road test in one type of car (Fiat something) so all parking exercises are measured to that car and the spot you have to squeeze into is not much bigger than the car. Here you can bring a smart car to the test then get home and hop in your Hummer. Just because you could park the smart does not mean that you will be able to park the Hummer.

Sweden IIRC makes you also have a first aid/cpr certificate before getting your license. The list goes on.

I agree with you that you should only be licensed for the type of vehicle that you drove on your test or smaller - if you do your test in a smart car, you cannot drive a M3. Do your test in a full size van and your only restriction is the weight of the vehicle (you can drive anything under 10000lbs). Tough to enforce this other than with constant spot checks...
    Wes (ウェスリー) - Kitchener
    05 Sedan - Stock, Stock, Stock

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The entire European automotive industry is miles ahead of the North American one just in general though. The car I mostly drive around Europe (in Hungary) was a Skoda Fabia? something like that...It was very similar to a Golf and it ran on a 1.3L engine I believe...Don't let the displacement fool you though, that car got around just as quickly as our Mazdas and was able to do 150KM/H without any problems.

With a manual tranny you actually pay more attention to driving and therefore you are more aware of what's going on around you on the road...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

From a friend who was a MTO driving examiner here in Toronto for 10 years (very senior when he retired...):

These are the fails that are specific to a manual transmission:
    No Coasting (car in motion, car must be in gear, cannot ride clutch)
    Must remain in gear at stoplight / stop sign, clutch in. Do not shift into neutral
    Two hands on wheel (esp in lane changes & turns and intersections), don't leave hand on shifter.
    --> This is a big one and an automatic fail. Hands on wheel EXCEPT when shifting.
    Unofficial - stall car 3 times or more, examiner may have serious concerns about ability to control vehicle in traffic.

His general advice is that if she can get an automatic, use it. Using a manual vehicle introduces other markables and other things that can relate back to vehicle control - which significantly decreases the examiner's "discretion". His words: "if you're showing up with a manual, it had better be the only car in the family you can use, and you'd better be familiar with it."

If she must use a stick, do the test in the one she is MOST familiar with. Don't get a dual control vehicle from a driving instruction place. She will never have enough time to get used to the clutch before the exam.

Metro East can be quite tough - not because of the examiners, but if this is a G2 EXIT exam, she will have to merge onto the highway. Some people are so worried about clearing blindspots, merging, etc, that they forget to shift, and then have no power left to continue to accelerate to highway speed.

Hope that helps her, and good luck!!

ed

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the comments! She drove a manual back home for many years, and she's comfortable driving the MZ3.

We both failed at Metro East a few times.. traffic is crazy over there! That's why she'll try in Hamilton, looks nice and quiet.

Hey Impressive, I'm half Hungarian! Nice to hear about the Skoda Fabia, haven't heard about them for many years!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

this is kinda an old route i did when i did my g2 exit to full g (i hope this is the test you are talking about)...

Last edited by distr0; 05-26-2010 at 04:50 PM.

Sr Member
    Ride
    BMW F30 328i 6MT
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Sebi View Post
    Thanks for the comments! She drove a manual back home for many years, and she's comfortable driving the MZ3.

We both failed at Metro East a few times.. traffic is crazy over there! That's why she'll try in Hamilton, looks nice and quiet.

Hey Impressive, I'm half Hungarian! Nice to hear about the Skoda Fabia, haven't heard about them for many
    years!
    ahaha right on good to know I'm not the only person on this board who's somewhat Hungarian. Both of my parents are Hungarian but Im born and raised here in Canada though I do speak the language fluently and make trips back every couple of years to see family and friends.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Another rule I heard is you can't shift through an intersection. I'm not 100% sure though.
    CURRENT: 2009 Subaru Impreza STI | 2007 Mazdaspeed 3 | 2003 Chevy Silverado 2500HD | 2009 BMW X5 3.5d
    GONE: Apparently too many cars to list in the signature....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My friend says that there is no rule about shifting in an intersection - but it is related to vehicle control. They absolutely want your hands on the wheel in an intersection (avoidance - intersections are 3X higher risk than other sections of road) so she should plan her shift (short shift, whatever) so it does not occur in the intersection. If she must, be smooth, planned, and QUICK! But don't miss the shift.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by fini View Post
    doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in me when sharing the road with you... lol!
    I'm not saying I drive bad, I just dont go by the book, which I doubt anyone does after they develop their own bad habits over the years of driving. I aint keeping my hands at 10 and 2 o' clock, my arms would be mad tired everyday!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I agree that everybody should pass their test in a manual car, or if it is an auto, then you can't drive a manual, but there is no such law in Ontario and I would take full advantage of it. The manual just introduces extra checks for the instructor and in most cases he/she will not be more forgiving, if anything it will be the opposite, you show up with a manual trans, you'd better prove you can drive it.

It's really not a matter of how well someone drives a manual, it's a matter of extra steps to worry about and putting you at a disadvantage, why give yourself extra stress during the exam? Plus you pay extra for every attempt, so why give money to the government when you don't have to? It's a known fact that the exam with an auto trans is much easier to pass, and any driving instructor will advice against taking the exam with a manual trans.

So my advice would be to borrow an automatic car, if you can of course, and take full advantage of the system, chances are, your better half will pass after the first attempt.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm not saying I drive bad, I just dont go by the book, which I doubt anyone does after they develop their own bad habits over the years of driving. I aint keeping my hands at 10 and 2 o' clock, my arms would be mad tired everyday!
    i kid i kid. i'm guilty of some of the "improper" stuff too. for the most part, i think i'm ok though

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I know the G2 test in Hamilton really well. You go up Kenora to Barton, right on Barton to Nash, left on Nash, then turn right at the first light you hit, from there it's random as they use that residential area to complete your skills like parallel parking, three point turn etc and then back out of the residential area, down Nash toward Barton, right on Barton and left on kenora.
    Custom Signature designed by PCLoadLetter
    2008.5 Galaxy Grey Mazda 3 GS
    Mods to date:18" RX-8 Rims~*~Axela Badge~*~Mazda3 logo above glovebox~*~LED Third Brake Light and Side Markers~*~Progress Rear Sway Bar~*~Eibach Pro-Kits~*~PRM Intake~*~Purple Interior + Footwell Lights~*~Purple Calipers with Mazda 3 decals~*~Purple Angel Eyes~*~Purple lug nuts~*~35% Solarguard Tint~*~VG Sharkfin~*~8000k HIDs~*~
    Look for the new and improved TM3 Times coming April 1st!!!! New Year, New Times!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I took the G test in Toronto w/ a 5-spd manual Civic.

If you're good with stick, it's no sweat. (and I had been driving that car with my G2 for a year).

A few things:
    1. Keep your hands on the steering wheel
    2. Never ride the clutch (I.e. clutch is in, or out, never rubbing half way)
    3. If you can't drive stick with your eyes closed (figuratively, of course) then get an automatic for the test
    4. When idling at an intersection, the car should NOT be in gear and your foot MUST be on the break

Follow those suggestions and it's no big deal.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

While I believe that everyone, by which I mean EVERYONE, should be able to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, if you can do so, but feel it would put you at a disadvantage taking the test; use an autobox for the test. However, I would vote for any polititian who advocated a change to the law so that all drivers be required to show proficiency at driving a manual. I also believe that no one should be allowed to drive in Ontario between November and March until they pass a winter driving test.

For the life of me, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a 3 with an auto unless they had a physical problem which prevented them from using a clutch. Why have a bit of fun when you can have alot of fun?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jord81 View Post
    I took the G test in Toronto w/ a 5-spd manual Civic.

If you're good with stick, it's no sweat. (and I had been driving that car with my G2 for a year).

A few things:
    1. Keep your hands on the steering wheel
    2. Never ride the clutch (I.e. clutch is in, or out, never rubbing half way)
    3. If you can't drive stick with your eyes closed (figuratively, of course) then get an automatic for the test
    4. When idling at an intersection, the car should NOT be in gear and your foot MUST be on the break

Follow those suggestions and it's no big deal.
    For the bolded point 4, I assume you mean should be IN gear or NOT in neutral? As what you wrote contradicts an above post as well as common sense from their point of view. I understand people with manual don't want to keep the clutch pushed in when no needed, but from a testing standpoint, I'd assume they would want to see full control of the car at all times. You don't have control if you have spend the time to press clutch, shift gear, release brake, release clutch, push gas when if you left it in gear you could just do release brake, release clutch, push gas. Those few moments, no matter how small, to them could make a big difference...

Quote Originally Posted by ocho mazda View Post
    While I believe that everyone, by which I mean EVERYONE, should be able to drive a vehicle with a manual transmission, if you can do so, but feel it would put you at a disadvantage taking the test; use an autobox for the test. However, I would vote for any polititian who advocated a change to the law so that all drivers be required to show proficiency at driving a manual. I also believe that no one should be allowed to drive in Ontario between November and March until they pass a winter driving test.

For the life of me, I can't fathom why anyone would buy a 3 with an auto unless they had a physical problem which prevented them from using a clutch. Why have a bit of fun when you can have alot of fun?
    Depends. I know a few people on here that either didn't have a choice in the matter (car bought for them or other matters), don't know how to drive manual (didn't want to learn on a new car or didn't have time yet) or had other reasons (in the case of me, often does long trips where others might need to drive car and don't want people to A. Wreck it by not knowing what they are doing or B. Make the number of people who can take over driving less by having a manual). Driving the auto 3 doesn't make it, to me, any less fun than a Manual as I've never learned really yet (family always had auto). So until I learn, I guess I don't know what I'm missing but that doesn't mean I'm not having as much fun as I would if it were manual.

Anyways, to get back somewhat on topic. I agree with above posts. Main thing, take the car the person is most comfortable with. If that's a manual, so be it. Also helps to know the area a bit as even if you don't know the route, you at least know the likely traffic and other things might need to be aware of.
    2008.5 GT Sport - Black Mica - SOLD!
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica - Minor Mods

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and the route - She Prime and distr0! We'll go out for a drive this weekend, she's scheduled for next Friday.

She is comfortable with the car, we never had auto before. We even went for a test drive (2010 GT!), and she refused to drive the auto!

I also heard that the car must be on the 1st gear at the stop light, foot on the brake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast