Thread: Cheap paint!!! Wonder if this is why they changed the grill piece to "chrome"

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Cheap paint!!! Wonder if this is why they changed the grill piece to "chrome"

So I'm washing my car the other day, spraying the front grill and.... low n behold the paint flakes right off......

So now I have this....

I'm thinking of talking to the dealer, but highly doubt they'll do anything about it.....
    I notice most of the newer 2010 3's have a "chrome" looking piece there instead of the painted plastic....

Any thoughts?

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cheap paint!!! Wonder if this is why they changed the grill piece to "chrome"

Did you use a pressure washer??

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Cheap paint!!! Wonder if this is why they changed the grill piece to "chrome"

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    Did you use a pressure washer??
    Nope just the gun type hose nozzle on "jet"

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And your car is a 2010 right??

Take it back to the dealer if the paint is flaking off..they will take it to a body shop and fix it for you.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hrmmm.....

Maybe i will... Just hard to get out to maple where I picked it up from....

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

do you service it at MAPLE?? cause i would take it to where i get it serviced as long as it's a dealer

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've only got 14K on it, got my 1st 2 oil changes for free from maple.... since then haven't had any service really .....

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i would go asap to get it fixed..

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the car is brand new you need to get it to the dealer and hassle them until they fix it for you

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by aris View Post
    And your car is a 2010 right??

Take it back to the dealer if the paint is flaking off..they will take it to a body shop and fix it for you.
    probably costs more in labour to repaint the thing than to replace it (which almost always come painted for mazdas)
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Brutal... I'm experiencing the same paint quality issue with my 2010 (I posted in another section).
    Bring it to the dealer, speak to the general manager, they have to recognize this as a manufacturer's defect.

If you can, post a follow up and let us know their feedback...

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

keep in mind, paint takes a couple of months to cure... so, if you just bought the car and road trip it, you'll say "mazda paint sucks blah blah" or "honda paint sucks, blah blah".... but if you did it 6 months later, it won't be quite as bad

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheMAN View Post
    keep in mind, paint takes a couple of months to cure... so, if you just bought the car and road trip it, you'll say "mazda paint sucks blah blah" or "honda paint sucks, blah blah".... but if you did it 6 months later, it won't be quite as bad
    Well I bought mine in feb as a demo.. came off the line in July 2009 as per the sticker on the driver side door frame.....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

sucks!

But yeah...the paint on the 2010 mazdas at least sucks...I don't care what anyone says. Worst paint I've EVER experienced, and I detail a LOT of car of varying ages and mileage.

Hassle the dealer, they will likely just replace the grill piece if it comes painted.
    Justin in Barrie - 2010 Mazda 3 GT Sport 6MT - 2007 Suzuki GSX-R600

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The 2010's started with the chrome piece on the bumper, and then it switched to the plastic. I don't know of any new 10's that have the chrome.

Take it back to the dealership like people are saying. Since this is paint flaking and not chipping, you would think they can do something about it.
    23% Tints, Powdercoated RX-8 Rims, 04-09 Eibach Prokit, Simota SRI, Window visors, Eyelids, Painted Emblem, 5000K HID Headlights, Yellow Nokya Fogs, Sharkfin Antenna, Rear Motor Mount, Short-Shift Plate, Shifter Bushings, CS Interior LED Kit, Weathertech Digital Fit Floor Liners, TM3 plate covers.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

the "chrome piece" is still plastic! it's just a different kind of paint!

paint deterioration also occurs when there's no wax on the car!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I took it back to the dealer, the service adviser said "That's caused by a rock chip, we can replace it for you, would you like me to price it out?" While I was standing looking at the piece scratching my head, aking how could that be, since the rock chip a few cm to the right didn't cause the paint to peel off like that, the detailer went in and got the service manager. He then came out, stared at it for a long time, looked at other parts of the same piece then disappeared for a bit. I took a seat and he came back to say they are going to ask Mazda Canada for a replacement. They then said they are making a work order and will call me when the part comes in. This was Monday, haven't heard back yet..... Hope they don't change their mind..

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

That's good that their going to fix it.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So here's an update.... 3 calls made back to the dealer.. piece is on back order... still ..... waiting and waiting....

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the same issue with my 2010 Mazda3, had mine for over a year and about 30k km on it, some of it on mine looks like a scratch, but I have never hit or scraped the front bumper anywhere, I'm assuming its from stone chips and such...