Thread: MS3 Engine Oil Threads

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exclamation MS3 Engine Oil Threads

No offense to anyone, but when I see guys asking if they should use this oil or that oil in their MS3's, it pisses me off cuz myself and guys like MBNTO have put out so much info (tested and verified) that there really is no need to ask if "I should put bargain basement price oil in my mS3 cuz I can and it's cheap"...

having said that, here is a summary:

1. DO NOT USE 5w20.

2. Be weary of even 5w30, as it has been shown to be inadequate for certain cars.

3. Read the existing oil threads.

4. Do not use dino oil if you care about the car. Use a quality full synthetic. At the very least use a semi-synth blend, which is what the factory oil is.

5. If you go to Jimmy, he'll have filters. He also knows EXACTLY how to fill your car.

6. In reality, every car has a slight variance in oil fill point. Do not listen to someone else and blindly dump in X litre of oil...always use your dipstick!

7. Due to fuel dilution/seepage, do not fill your oil beyond the full line. You'll in fact find that the MS3 does not burn oil and will in fact inject a bit of gas into the oil, creating more volume...so don't overfill!

8. Default oils: Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, Rotella T6 5w40, Mannheim Full Synth 5w40 (Jimmy carries this)

9. I've tried Mobil 1 and it contributed to my smoking turbo, no good for MY MS3.

10. Go on to mazdaspeedforums.org and read about more user's experiences there.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: MS3 Engine Oil Threads

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vote for Sticky!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

why not link to the existing TM3-->Mazdaspeed 3 threads?

(yes, i'm too lazy to search and do it myself right now)

Quote Originally Posted by BlueStreak View Post
    We don't recirculate our boost, we vent that hoe to the atmosphere. We don't suggest standing in the same room with this thing goes off. The pressure change will be so great that when ambient pressure returns to normal, you'll die from the bends.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guys, no one pissed in my coffee this morning...lol...in fact, I was hoping it'd be MBNTO that wrote this thread...

I also don't have time to link all threads to this one, but I may over time collect them and put them in here.

but I meant what I've said...there's no need to be creative with engine oils for the MS3.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    No offense to anyone, but when I see guys asking if they should use this oil or that oil in their MS3's, it pisses me off cuz myself and guys like MBNTO have put out so much info (tested and verified) that there really is no need to ask if "I should put bargain basement price oil in my mS3 cuz I can and it's cheap"...

having said that, here is a summary:

8. Default oils: Pennzoil Platinum 5w30, Rotella T6 5w40, Mannheim Full Synth 5w40 (Jimmy carries this)
    One other oil that has received good reviews on msf and bitog is German Castrol 0W30.

Also, I have good word that Mazda is now using Petro-Canada Duron-E 5W40 for the DISI in the CX-7. That's not to say that I've used and recommend this oil, what it is, if you look up Duron-E, is that Mazda is now using a Heavy Duty Engine Oil for diesel engines in the DISI.

Where this relates to what Fobio wrote is that the Rotella T6 5w40 (which we currently use) is also a HDEO made primarily for diesels; which also relates to what I mentioned to Fobio before we started using Rotella T6 -- that the Direct Injection gas engine has more in common with a diesel than a port-injection gas engine.

But "why a diesel oil"?

The DISI is far more tougher on oil than the regular, port-injected 2.0L/2.3L. Coupled with Mazda's poor PCV design and the fuel dilution, and you get the requirement that the oil you put in your MS3 has to put up with a f*(king harsh environment. This harsh environment shears down the oil in between oil changes -- your 5w30 is now closer to a 20weight; use 5w20 and it's down to a 10wt with the viscosity approaching that of water. You want something that is shear stable and HDEO's provide that protection -- Rotella is used on diesels that go millions of miles before a rebuild.

The other issue is that oils with a low flash point will coke up the valves quicker. A HDEO diesel oil, and a quality synthetic like those Fobio listed, will typically have a higher flash point that will limit the coking of the valves.

What I'll be doing is using Rotella T6 for Spring, Summer, Fall and German Castrol 0w30 for winter.

All this information is contained within TM3 and out there on MSF and BITOG; and Fobio and I have done our research and put it to the test (him moreso than me as I've only had my MS3 for 10,000 miles).

Bottom line, don't cheap out on the most critical component in the DISI (oil) and, on the other hand, don't try to extend the oil change interval because you're running some expensive synthetic.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

+1 about German Castrol 0w30. MBNTO and I have discussed this oil at length...it's a quality oil that doesn't shear down like the typical 5w30. But since we track in the summer, I suggested we keep the GC 0w30 for winter use and use the heavier oil for sumemr time.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My thread on Oil Analysis is going to take off in a week or two. I am just awaiting the last UOA samples (as of today July 9 2010) I only have the VOA samples, no UOA's yet..

I did VOA's and UOA's on a few different types of oils. So hopefully that can also shed light on oils for the MS3 and maybe put some fact into oils that are suitable for the MS3.

Link to the thread...

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...ying-Analyzing

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm using Mobil Super 1000 5w30, no smoking issue. Thinking of changing over to synthetic, but dont want to jinx my success
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 Cosmic Blue Mica
    CP-e 75d RMM // CP-e SRI // JBR Short Shifter Plate & Weight // JBR Solid Shifter Bushings // Weathertech Liners // OEM Vent Visors // RX8 Wheels 225-45-18 // Pennzoil Ultra 5w30 // Moddicition Anvil II //

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eliminator View Post
    I'm using Mobil Super 1000 5w30, no smoking issue. Thinking of changing over to synthetic, but dont want to jinx my success
    you have a 2007 and, unless the turbo has been replaced under warranty, using DINO OIL (which is what Mobil Super 1000 is - essentially a rebranded Esso Extra) will result in a smoking turbo sooner or later.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Edited for irrelevance to the thread
    Last edited by laksman91; 07-10-2010 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

vote for sticky.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,401 Times in 741 Posts
    Mentioned
    416 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thread stuck
    2010 Black Mazdaspeed 3 - Lightly modded

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks Ami!

I just bought some Pennzoil Ultra from the states...they're super sized!

5 Qt "Single Oil Change" (I laugh at your 5 qt/4.73L bottle with my 6.5L oil fill need...lol...) for $28USD...I got 3 bottles of the 5w30, which from some UOA, has better performance and durability under heavy duty use. I plan to try it with my next oil change...

this is also why you shouldn't just fill the amount what the other guy is filling with...with my balance shaft deleted, I have extra room in the oil pan for more oil.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    Thanks Ami!

I just bought some Pennzoil Ultra from the states...they're super sized!

5 Qt "Single Oil Change" (I laugh at your 5 qt/4.73L bottle with my 6.5L oil fill need...lol...) for $28USD...I got 3 bottles of the 5w30, which from some UOA, has better performance and durability under heavy duty use. I plan to try it with my next oil change...

this is also why you shouldn't just fill the amount what the other guy is filling with...with my balance shaft deleted, I have extra room in the oil pan for more oil.
    Let me know how this stuff is I'm going down to the U.S in 2 weeks.. and if its worth getting I'll get some.
    2001 Mazda P5 Black - Sold
    2005 Mazda 3 GT Black - Sold

2007 MS3 Cosmic Blue Mica
    Cobb SF SRI - Cobb AP - Cobb TIH - CP-E TMIC - CP-E HPFP - CP-E DP - CP-E RMM(65A) - JBR TMM(80A) - Forge BPV - EGR Delete - SM OCC - Ford Full Synthetic MT Fluid - 225/40/18 Hankook Ventus V12's - TWM STS + bushings - 8000K HID Fogs - KY + Eibach Prokit Springs - JBR RSB - Rhoplate - Blue LED Interior lights - Black Weathertech liners - Blue SICKSPEED Horns - Blackvue DR400GHD
    TBI: Thermal TB and Intake Gasket

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Turok View Post
    Let me know how this stuff is I'm going down to the U.S in 2 weeks.. and if its worth getting I'll get some.
    I got some of the 5w30 P-Ultra too. $28 a bottle. Ill be putting it in sometime in the next week.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    One other oil that has received good reviews on msf and bitog is German Castrol 0W30.

Also, I have good word that Mazda is now using Petro-Canada Duron-E 5W40 for the DISI in the CX-7. That's not to say that I've used and recommend this oil, what it is, if you look up Duron-E, is that Mazda is now using a Heavy Duty Engine Oil for diesel engines in the DISI.

Where this relates to what Fobio wrote is that the Rotella T6 5w40 (which we currently use) is also a HDEO made primarily for diesels; which also relates to what I mentioned to Fobio before we started using Rotella T6 -- that the Direct Injection gas engine has more in common with a diesel than a port-injection gas engine.

But "why a diesel oil"?

The DISI is far more tougher on oil than the regular, port-injected 2.0L/2.3L. Coupled with Mazda's poor PCV design and the fuel dilution, and you get the requirement that the oil you put in your MS3 has to put up with a f*(king harsh environment. This harsh environment shears down the oil in between oil changes -- your 5w30 is now closer to a 20weight; use 5w20 and it's down to a 10wt with the viscosity approaching that of water. You want something that is shear stable and HDEO's provide that protection -- Rotella is used on diesels that go millions of miles before a rebuild.

The other issue is that oils with a low flash point will coke up the valves quicker. A HDEO diesel oil, and a quality synthetic like those Fobio listed, will typically have a higher flash point that will limit the coking of the valves.

What I'll be doing is using Rotella T6 for Spring, Summer, Fall and German Castrol 0w30 for winter.

All this information is contained within TM3 and out there on MSF and BITOG; and Fobio and I have done our research and put it to the test (him moreso than me as I've only had my MS3 for 10,000 miles).

Bottom line, don't cheap out on the most critical component in the DISI (oil) and, on the other hand, don't try to extend the oil change interval because you're running some expensive synthetic.
    You are 100% right as I had warranty coverage to resolve smoking issue at W.O.T they used Amsoil 15/40 synthetic oil which is a diesel oil back just before May 24 weekend. I went to pick up extra bottle of this Amsoil at dealer who was suppose to order it and it was the 5w/40 synthetic the petro can stuff not sure or can remember if it was Duron-E but probably was! What you write makes total sense as I have a diesel too and the disi shares allot of similarities.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For you non cross-border shoppers, Penzzoil Platinum 5W30 is on sale at Canadian Tire right now until August 5th. $24.99 for a 4.4L bottle. Attack!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just went to the dealer for the smoking issue this week and they put Duron-E 5w-40 synthetic in as to the Mazda TSB and so far no more smoking but I expect it to come back sooner then later. Up until now I've been using 5w-30 synthetic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So can I request to have synthetic put in when I get my oil changed at the dealer? And I guess it's whatever brand that they carry right?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You can ask them to put whatever you want in it. You're probably limited to whatever synthetic they have in stock. Or you can even bring your own oil and have them use that. (Most dealerships will give you discount if you bring your own).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes you can request the dealer use synthetic (of course it's a little more expensive)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool thanks!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I am not able to find Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5w30 for my 07 MS3. I called Part Source and checked Canadian Tire. Anyone know where I can buy this in Canada (Markham specifically)?

I checked a few of the oil threads but I could not find why this can be bought (found a few posts re: 'I just got mine from the states' etc... but no mention on where this can be purchased here)

Thanks in advance.
    '07 TR MazdaSpeed3
    Mods: 20% Tint - Mazda Rain Visors - Blacked Out Emblems - VIP Status RG-2 Rims - Falkin 452 Tires
    Cobb SRI - Cobb Springs - Koni Yellows - Tri-Point Rear Sway Bar - Tri-Point End Links
    Next Up: Cobb AP - CP-E TBE - Front Lip - Spoiler Lip - Black painted or vinyl wrap on roof

Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Speed_Demon View Post
    I am not able to find Pennzoil Ultra Synthetic 5w30 for my 07 MS3. I called Part Source and checked Canadian Tire. Anyone know where I can buy this in Canada (Markham specifically)?

I checked a few of the oil threads but I could not find why this can be bought (found a few posts re: 'I just got mine from the states' etc... but no mention on where this can be purchased here)

Thanks in advance.
    Won't be available in Canada until October 2010

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast