Thread: Is it the sway bar bushings?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Is it the sway bar bushings?

I noticed that my car creaks as the car flexes over uneven road and rattles like a mofo on gravel roads from the rear. I'm curious, would the rear sway bar bushings make a creak/rattle noise if they are bad? Another example is when I back up, it sounds like a popping sound from the rear. Imagine a bird taking a crap and the crap hitting the car and going pop. That's the noise.. Lol.. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Is it the sway bar bushings?

If you are using polyurethane bushings then that is a definite possibility.

Have you had any suspension work done recently, springs, coils etc?

Ride
    Toyizzle Yarizzle
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Creaking is from the coil springs, their mounts, or control arm bushings. Is the coil cracked?
    Rattling and popping are from stabiliser links, ball joints, or the spring & damper mounts to the chassis.

Stabiliser bushings don't creak; they make a rattle or pop when they give out.
    If they were, indeed, creaking, you would immediately hear from just jouncing the front or rear of the car while parked.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Zotaga View Post
    I noticed that my car creaks as the car flexes over uneven road and rattles like a mofo on gravel roads from the rear. I'm curious, would the rear sway bar bushings make a creak/rattle noise if they are bad? Another example is when I back up, it sounds like a popping sound from the rear. Imagine a bird taking a crap and the crap hitting the car and going pop. That's the noise.. Lol.. Any ideas?
    I think those are possibly two different problems.
    In my experience bad swaybar bushings give squeaks when it is very cold out (<-20C), and loud clunks when going over uneven ground when its hot out. They certainly would not rattle unless something was physically broken down there.
    Canada gave us rust and DRL. Thanks for nothing Canada!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cab0oze View Post
    I think those are possibly two different problems.
    In my experience bad swaybar bushings give squeaks when it is very cold out (<-20C), and loud clunks when going over uneven ground when its hot out. They certainly would not rattle unless something was physically broken down there.
    @Cab0oze, if this is the case is the solution simply to grease the bushings or do they need to be replaced? Or does it depend on my bushings...
    I'm getting some really loud clunks over bumps that just started 2 days ago. been really worried my shocks/struts have given out...

Ride
    Toyizzle Yarizzle
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by dreadlock View Post
    @Cab0oze, if this is the case is the solution simply to grease the bushings or do they need to be replaced? Or does it depend on my bushings...
    I'm getting some really loud clunks over bumps that just started 2 days ago. been really worried my shocks/struts have given out...
    If you're that worried about the noise, why don't you have a technician look at it?

Rock the car side-to-side while parked.
    Have a friend reach behind the the wheels.
    Put his hand on each stabiliser link and the bar they attach to.
    Feel any play?
    If yes, replace stabiliser links or bushings as needed.
    If no, take the wheels off and inspect the damper mounts. Could have shattered from the chassis, which is common on the 3 and 5. Cheap quality materials.

Stabiliser bushings are not made to be lubricated... there is no provision (like a channel or seal) to retain the grease within it.
    Some retard manufacturers (GM, Chrysler) specify synthetic non-petroleum grease (silicone) during repair, but, in the real world, it won't last for more than a year.
    It's complete nonsense and I facepalm whenever somebody argues with me about lubing up their shit during repair.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the clunk is from the back, quick fix/check that was given to me by someone on here - crawl under the back (preferrably with the car on ramps), undo the two bolts on each, thoroughly clean the bar and then wrap the contact point on the bar in a bit of electrical tape (say ~4 layers). Reinstall everything and see if the noise is gone. if it is, go to the dealer and buy yourself 2 OEM bushings for your car and replace them.

But do what Lux said first. Also bounce the car and see if you can reproduce the noise. If the shocks are dead the car will continue bouncing if the bouncing damps quickly once you stop, they are fine.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks guys. @Lux I was looking to get some quick info here before going to a technician - also my week is jammed and unfortunately couldn't make the time without getting a rental..
    However, right after my last post I crawled under and discovered that my passenger side sway bar bracket is broken right through *face palm*
    I ordered OEM parts from Mazda only to discover they are much too small for my Hotchkis bar - proper parts are on order now direct from Hotchkis. In the meantime I removed the bracket, bent it back as close as possible to what it was and re-installed. Surprisingly its much less noisy, but obviously only a temporary fix until I get my new brackets/bushings.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I sat in the car and had my dad bounce the car and I didn't hear anything.. but when I roll out of my driveway in the morning, I always hear the popping and then it's normal until I go over really shitty roads.. then it's more of a weird rattling sound. It's hard to explain and even harder to replicate.. I'll try and record the noise the next time I go out.. maybe someone will recognize the noise..

Thanks guys. @Lux I was looking to get some quick info here before going to a technician - also my week is jammed and unfortunately couldn't make the time without getting a rental..
    However, right after my last post I crawled under and discovered that my passenger side sway bar bracket is broken right through *face palm*
    I ordered OEM parts from Mazda only to discover they are much too small for my Hotchkis bar - proper parts are on order now direct from Hotchkis. In the meantime I removed the bracket, bent it back as close as possible to what it was and re-installed. Surprisingly its much less noisy, but obviously only a temporary fix until I get my new brackets/bushings.