Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Would you do wheel alignment at the Dealership?

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Would you do wheel alignment at the Dealership?

A couple of comments/questions.
    I just did my 24,000 km service done at Avante Mazda. I didn't mention that I was a member. Is there a discount or special price for members there or at any other dealership?
    Also, they mentioned that my alignment was off. I kind of noticed that too. Would you have done it there or done it cheaper at another location. I think it was $130. Just thought these questions may help new forum members like moi.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Would you do wheel alignment at the Dealership?

I've done one. The cost wasn't the worst I've paid but there are cheaper places where you can go to get it done. Probably half that cost.

You definitely need to mention TM3 or you won't get a discount at an Affiliate Dealership.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based off of the affiliate dealers section in the forums, Avante is part of it though whether the alignment is part of their 10% discount or not should be verified by them

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/fo...te-Dealerships

As for alignment at dealer or not, I myself get it done at the dealer after every winter so far. Just makes it easier on the first service I do after I put my summers back on. It's just easier as it's the closest for me and easiest to get an appointment. That and I trust QEW Mazda.
    2008.5 GT Sport - Black Mica - SOLD!
    2007 Mazdaspeed3 - Black Mica - Minor Mods

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How did the dealer determine the alignment was off? Did they test drive the car, or noticed abnormal tire wear? I ask because it is probably an up sell from the dealer, at 24k oil change Ontario Mazda also recommended (they never said I needed it) the alignment, I declined and so far with over 100k I have no problems and no alignment was ever done.

Also what makes you think you need an alignment, is the car pulling to one side of the road? Did you hit a big pothole? If not, then I would not touch anything IMO.
    But if you need the alignment done, dealer should do a good job.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    How did the dealer determine the alignment was off? Did they test drive the car, or noticed abnormal tire wear? I ask because it is probably an up sell from the dealer, at 24k oil change Ontario Mazda also recommended (they never said I needed it) the alignment, I declined and so far with over 100k I have no problems and no alignment was ever done.

Also what makes you think you need an alignment, is the car pulling to one side of the road? Did you hit a big pothole? If not, then I would not touch anything IMO.
    But if you need the alignment done, dealer should do a good job.
    I had to get one done, the dealership told me there was uneven wear on one side of my tires. I decided to go to KSL instead of the dealership.

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

theres a stick in the suspension section for places to do an alignment, hope that helps.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Iceman_F1 View Post
    Based off of the affiliate dealers section in the forums, Avante is part of it though whether the alignment is part of their 10% discount or not should be verified by them

http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/fo...te-Dealerships

As for alignment at dealer or not, I myself get it done at the dealer after every winter so far. Just makes it easier on the first service I do after I put my summers back on. It's just easier as it's the closest for me and easiest to get an appointment. That and I trust QEW Mazda.
    Thanks. I checked the link and there is a 10% discount on labour and a 25% discount on parts but I need to show that I have the TM3 logo on my car somewhere. Off to get me a TM3 platecover.
    Also to answer another question above. I think they mentioned they test-drove it and didn't mention anything about uneven tirewear.

As you mentioned above, do others recommend doing an alignment when putting on their summer tires? Makes sense to me...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Thanks. I checked the link and there is a 10% discount on labour and a 25% discount on parts but I need to show that I have the TM3 logo on my car somewhere. Off to get me a TM3 platecover.
    Also to answer another question above. I think they mentioned they test-drove it and didn't mention anything about uneven tirewear.

As you mentioned above, do others recommend doing an alignment when putting on their summer tires? Makes sense to me...
    Depends where you drive. Most of the time, if you don't drive in a bad area, an alignment should last quite awhile. I drive through a lot of places where there is a ton of bumps so for me, it's a yearly thing...that and so far every summer I've had different wheel/tire combos so best to get an alignment whenever you change that setup.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just noticed this thread, I started a thread in the wheel and tire section but about 2 weeks ago i got my 24k service done and they rotated the tires and now im noticing a vibration in the front end at about 120 - 130 km/h and at average highway speeds the car is starting to pull to the left, I even noticed it last night when i was driving 60 km/h on hwy 10.

It wasnt doing this at all before the rotation!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by grex View Post
    I just noticed this thread, I started a thread in the wheel and tire section but about 2 weeks ago i got my 24k service done and they rotated the tires and now im noticing a vibration in the front end at about 120 - 130 km/h and at average highway speeds the car is starting to pull to the left, I even noticed it last night when i was driving 60 km/h on hwy 10.

I'm guessing the likely case is something not aligned which might have unevenly worn a specific tire so when you rotate, it messed around with what was "aligned" and you started to notice the issues. I read your other thread you posted. If it was a wheel balance, I'd think you'd have noticed it before now. I'm currently have uneven tire wear and that is what's causing my vibrations which an alignment should fix (once I get camber kits installed but that's a different matter altogether).

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it something that the dealers going to fix themselves? I called the dealer and they are gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it something that the dealers going to fix themselves? I called the dealer and they are gonna take a look at it tomorrow morning.
    IMO, if it's uneven tire wear or something dealing with alignment, it's not their problem to fix as it wasn't anything they did during tire rotation or could have prevented. It's good of them to check to see what the problem is but beyond that might not help (depending what the issue is). If it's alignment, they can fix it but doubt they'd cover the cost. If it's uneven tire wear, probably have to just live with it until the tires wear too much to be usable. Without knowing fully what the problem is, hard to say.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if it is due to uneven tire wear there gonna have to do something...Ive kept all my service papers that show the tire inspections from the techs and they have all wrote that all the tires are wearing evenly and they have all gotten 10's every time. If there was an issue starting they should've noticed it right? Im not attacking what you said im just getting defensive because I dont want to spend money on this issue lol

Ill just have to wait and see hahaha thanks though!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think if it is due to uneven tire wear there gonna have to do something...Ive kept all my service papers that show the tire inspections from the techs and they have all wrote that all the tires are wearing evenly and they have all gotten 10's every time. If there was an issue starting they should've noticed it right? Im not attacking what you said im just getting defensive because I dont want to spend money on this issue lol

Ill just have to wait and see hahaha thanks though!
    When I say uneven, it could mean that there is uneven 1 tire to the next or it could be uneven inner compared to outer (as mine is). With that, it again could all deal with an alignment problem and maybe it just recently happened. If between 1 service and the next you have this issue, then must have been a recent thing and swapping the tire just brought the issue up. My tire wears have consistent numbers for all 4 tires but it doesn't fix that because of me lowering, the back camber isn't the same so until I get the camber kit in, nothing they can do to fix it.

I know how you feel though about the service should notice things. Sadly, like with any service, until someone points something out, most just have their set quick checks which would find most problems and leave it at that. However once someone comes in with a problem, then it's a matter of how far they are willing to go to track that problem down. With mine, I went back for a couple different tire balance (as that's what I thought the problem was) before they decided to throw on a brand new rim/tire combo off a 2010 model and drive it which got rid of the vibrations proving it was a tire issue due to uneven wear. I'm not aware of it and am just waiting for this set to be done (end of the season) before getting a new set.

Still not enough info to fully say what the cause is. Best to wait and see what is the cause and what the dealer is willing to do. Just don't be surprised if it's an alignment or dealing with that if they won't cover it as that's something out of their control.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grex, that will be about $130 for an alignment at the dealership (or you may need a balancing- don't know the dealer price on that. See if you can get a member's discount on the labour if it's an affiliated dealership. But you may something
    on your car showing that you are a TM3 member. Let us know if you get a discount or not.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    Grex, that will be about $130 for an alignment at the dealership (or you may need a balancing- don't know the dealer price on that. See if you can get a member's discount on the labour if it's an affiliated dealership. But you may something
    on your car showing that you are a TM3 member. Let us know if you get a discount or not.
    For sure you get the discount at QEW Mazda as that's where I go.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

chances are your rear tires were out of balance to begin with.
    You don't notice it if your rear tires were out of balance. I know cause I have a bent rim and it is always in the back

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went in today and they took a look at the car...never took it for a test drive which made me wonder...Apparently one of the tires was unbalanced due to a weight falling off...The tech didnt even test drive it after the fact to see if it infact was the issue. I took the keys drove home and honestly nothing has changed lol. I can still deffenatly feel a vibration at about 120 kmh and i swear its pulling to the left, even my girlfriend agreed with me the other night.

I txted one of the techs this evening who was off today he told me to bring it back in so he could look at it. its really annoying. It was so smooth and perfect before the service lol

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I went in today and they took a look at the car...never took it for a test drive which made me wonder...Apparently one of the tires was unbalanced due to a weight falling off...The tech didnt even test drive it after the fact to see if it infact was the issue. I took the keys drove home and honestly nothing has changed lol. I can still deffenatly feel a vibration at about 120 kmh and i swear its pulling to the left, even my girlfriend agreed with me the other night.

I txted one of the techs this evening who was off today he told me to bring it back in so he could look at it. its really annoying. It was so smooth and perfect before the service lol
    So you got them balanced and the vibration is still there and the alignment is off? Hmmmm. Maybe you really do need an alignment. Mine was pulling to one side too but after the dealer aligned them it was fine. But paid 130 for it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This reinforces the fact I do all my own work on the cars now.
    I only take it to the dealer if I absolutely need too.
    Most of the times I can fix the "problem" myself.

Even a simple service as oil change and tire rotation is costing around $80-100 in some places.
    These guys are hurting on car sales due to the economy. So where do they gouge you? In service!

I had to do my 72k service on the Miata the other weekend.
    You know how much that "service" would've run me? $270-320 depending on what they find and if anything needs replacement.
    You know what's entitled in that service? Oil/filter change, tire rotation, lubrication of hinges, "inspection" of all fluids, air filters, and brakes.
    So, in reality, they'll take a look at the brakes since they have to do a tire rotation, find out the brakes are fine, they "check" all the fluids and filters, and deem them fine, and then do the oil/filter change.

Working on cars isn't difficult. If you've got the right tools, and aren't afraid of getting a bit dirty, you can perform this service on your own. This way when you do it, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

I did my own "72k service". Car runs smooth, there are no finger prints on the car body nor is the interior readjusted for the "techs" height when he/she manuvers the car into the service bay.
    Don't need an alignment either since all I did was a tire rotation. If the alignement was correct, there shouldn't be any type of vibrations or pulls when you do a simple tire rotation.

My guess is one of the "techs" screwed something up in doing the "service". And now you've got a headache.

Learn to work on the car yourself... less headaches, and you save a ton of cash.

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    This reinforces the fact I do all my own work on the cars now.
    I only take it to the dealer if I absolutely need too.
    Most of the times I can fix the "problem" myself.

Even a simple service as oil change and tire rotation is costing around $80-100 in some places.
    These guys are hurting on car sales due to the economy. So where do they gouge you? In service!

I had to do my 72k service on the Miata the other weekend.
    You know how much that "service" would've run me? $270-320 depending on what they find and if anything needs replacement.
    You know what's entitled in that service? Oil/filter change, tire rotation, lubrication of hinges, "inspection" of all fluids, air filters, and brakes.
    So, in reality, they'll take a look at the brakes since they have to do a tire rotation, find out the brakes are fine, they "check" all the fluids and filters, and deem them fine, and then do the oil/filter change.

Working on cars isn't difficult. If you've got the right tools, and aren't afraid of getting a bit dirty, you can perform this service on your own. This way when you do it, you have no one else to blame but yourself.

I did my own "72k service". Car runs smooth, there are no finger prints on the car body nor is the interior readjusted for the "techs" height when he/she manuvers the car into the service bay.
    Don't need an alignment either since all I did was a tire rotation. If the alignement was correct, there shouldn't be any type of vibrations or pulls when you do a simple tire rotation.

My guess is one of the "techs" screwed something up in doing the "service". And now you've got a headache.

Learn to work on the car yourself... less headaches, and you save a ton of cash.
    Neo. I wish I was in the Matrix world and could download how to do 24k service checks. Did you learn in high school or college or apprenticeship or are self-trained?

Wouldn't know if something needed fixing. I also think that in order to maintain the warranty, these big services need to be done by an auto tech. I just hope that I get an honest and highly skilled one everytime and of course this forum helps us choose those.

Good on you though for knowing how to do a 72k check. Wish I did.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Jackal,

Scarboro's website has a little app that will tell you what's involved in a 24k service.

http://www.scarboromazda.ca/en/servi....5+GT#dropmenu

You can also refer to your manual.

How could you not know what needs replacement and what doesn't?

Think of it this way. It's just like looking at dirty clothes. You take a look at it, if you see its dirty, you put it to wash. Same thing goes with the car. If you see a part looks worn, and doesn't appear to be in spec, you replace it.

Majority of the time the "tech" who's doing service is no better off than you. He's got a nice work shop manual in the back and all he's doing is following instructions.
    Granted, if he's been doing them all day, he's probably got a rhythm going.
    Otherwise, he's no better off than you are.

All it takes is some time, the ability to read and follow instructions, and you'll be good to go.
    Oh, some basic common sense doesn't hurt either.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I totally agree with what you're saying, I used to do all the service on my civic with some guidance from my dad, oil changes, switching my tires over, breaks, the only big job i didnt do on the car was change the alternator (which isnt a big job at all) cause my dads and my hands are to big to get in there lol. I figured that because this was a brandnew car that i should get everything done at the dealer. I totally understand and agree with everything your saying. I just hope this thing gets resolved, I just got home from work and i could feel it the whole way on the 401 from weston to mississauga road....at the parts that let me get it up to 100km/h lol DAMN TRAFFIC!

Ride
    2012 Porsche 911
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    133 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just to get back to the topic a bit... I think it's great to be able to do these checks yourself but you can't do an alignment yourself because you would need a $60k alignment machine.
    I just received some coupons from Mazda for $20 off the next alignment. Bad timing for me but good for anyone looking for a discount.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well i have now been to mazda twice, all my tires have been balanced 30 times and im still getting the strong vibration and I can feel it in my break pedal now...could this be a warped rotor? Im going back AGAIN tomorrow at 1030 in the morn, this is getting nuts lol These people must think i have no friends and enjoying hanging out at mazda lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast