Thread: 2010 speed3 Transmission fluid

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 speed3 Transmission fluid

Hi folks,

Before the flame begins I would like to point out that I did do a search and read most of the forms that related to transmission fluid. I've also done some other research on the web including posts on "bobistheoilguy' and the usual mazda3forms, mazda247 and mazda3revolution…I found the same question but not any answers.

My question is this – What would be a good transmission fluid replacement for my 2010 speed3. For 07-09 speed the easy answer was Mt-90 or better yet the Motorcraft/Ford XT-M5-QS. The problem is these are all rated 75w-90 Gl-4. The 2010 speed3 recommends a 75w80 Gl-4. I'm afraid I'm not knowledgeable enough to understand the difference between these fluids. Can anyone help me understand and suggest what a good option would be? The redline website recommend the MT-90 and they say it's also good for vehicles requiring 75w and 80w. But it sounds like the ford XT-M5-QS is actually a better performer for us would it also cover the 80w requirement?

A lot of the review sites listed " Low-viscosity transmission fluid reduces shift effort when the engine is cold " as a new addition for the 2010 – would this be the only reason they have gone to the 80w?

I'm trying to get a call into QEW Mazda service to see what they are putting in the 2010.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 speed3 Transmission fluid

Redline MTL if you want to stick with the 75w80 rating.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What would be the pros/cons of changing to the 90? am I compromising the warranty?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First...your problem is looking on the wrong forums...lol...

http://www.mazdaspeedforums.org/foru...-shifts-45625/

This is the "transmission fluid" thread that popped up on msf...

Hope this helps.

MSpeed Tuning & Diagnostics - The Street Lab is always OPEN FOR BUSINESS
    All Powder & Ceramic Coating @ Quy's Coating . Tires and Wheels @ Simply Tire . Wraps by mleblond @ Seche Media . Dyno'd @ Advance Power House . Professionally Serviced by Jimmy @ Street Performance . Signature Pic by PCLoadLetter . Street Tuned by myself .
    "It is amazing how many drivers, even at the Formula One Level, think that the brakes are for slowing the car down." -- Mario Andretti

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Different application but, I thought it'd be relevant.

The Evo X requires SAE 75W-80, and alot of people go with 2 parts MTL, 1 Part MT90 - since the car requires 2.64 quarts, a bottle of MTL, a bottle of MT90 and top it off with MTL.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    77 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we have them instock if you are interested =)
    www.nextmod.com
    Monday - Friday 12-8pm
    Saturday 12-5pm

290 Yorktech Dr. Unit 27 Markham Ontario email me at Jon@nextmod.com
    416-800-9139

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fobio - thanks for pointing it out. It was helping...seems like people were leaning toward redline MTL which meets the 75w80 viscosity...and then at the end some guy comes along and recommends the Morotcraft stuff again and people jump on board...and I'm like WTF it's W90?!?! Back to square1...sigh

Laksman91 - Thanks for the info. That may end up being the solution but I'm, not sold yet

I wanting to change the fluid simple to run a high quality oil and hopefully save the tranny a little wear over time. But from what I've read I'm not sure it's worth it.

I don't know definitively what fluid is the best for the 2010. The consensus for the Gen1 was the Motorcraft stuff but they don't have a w80 option. From what I've read of the redline stuff you run the risk of some LSD noise, which I don't want. I don't have any problems with the shifting right now and no LSD noise...so I might just leave it until someone much smarter figures it out for me.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

from my reading there doesn't appear to be a perfect solution to your issue...

the mixing option is the one I'd go with if I want a quality fluid to mimick the vicosity I want...but really, I'd just run what's best.

if I was erally anal about it, then I'd just go back to the factory fluid when it's time for me to change.

otherwise, I don't think you'll find a readily available replacement off the shelf...

but if you make enough noise along with the other 2010+ folks, I'm sure Peter can get you exactly what you need, with a JDM logo...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fobio View Post
    but if you make enough noise along with the other 2010+ folks, I'm sure Peter can get you exactly what you need, with a JDM logo...
    Now you're just trying to be enigmatic!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Look what I found! http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=119 So you dont have to do the redline cocktail!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^Good find bro! a smart vendor would stock this.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by laksman91 View Post
    Look what I found! http://www.redlineoil.com/news_article.aspx?id=119 So you dont have to do the redline cocktail!
    I'll probably pick this up for my new MS3. Has anyone already used this on their car?

Ride
    '93 RX7 R1
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anyone try Motul Gear300 on these tranny's yet? I use it in the Miata's 6spd trans and at the rear end with the LSD. Car has 140K on it and it made the trans shift just like it was the day I took delivery! Eliminated the grind into 2nd completely!

I never got around to trying the Gear300 in my '07 GT ... but I'm wondering if anyone else has?

Picking up my MS3 on Monday, so this is something I'd need to look into come Spring time.

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoM View Post
    I'll probably pick this up for my new MS3. Has anyone already used this on their car?
    I'm a bit worried that it isn't a true 75w80. I'm not an oil guy... 75w means 75 weight when cold, right? And 85 means 85 weight at operating temperatures? All I know is that those guys on MSF with Gen2 MS3s like the Motorcraft/Ford XT-M5-QS stuff, and that Jimmy has actually told me that it should be okay to use Motorcraft/Ford XT-M5-QS in our Gen2s (he knew exactly that there is no synthetic true 75w80 out there)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    I'm a bit worried that it isn't a true 75w80. I'm not an oil guy... 75w means 75 weight when cold, right? And 85 means 85 weight at operating temperatures? All I know is that those guys on MSF with Gen2 MS3s like the Motorcraft/Ford XT-M5-QS stuff, and that Jimmy has actually told me that it should be okay to use Motorcraft/Ford XT-M5-QS in our Gen2s (he knew exactly that there is no synthetic true 75w80 out there)
    Hmm.. maybe I'll wait for someone else to do it first then lol. That's just weird that Mazda puts an oil requirement of 75W80 in their owner's manual when it doesnt even exist.

Btw, who's Jimmy?
    1999 Honda Civic SiR | Bolt-ons
    2010 Mazdaspeed3 | Cobb AP | Corksport SRI+TIP | Autotech HPFP | Magnaflow CBE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm.. maybe I'll wait for someone else to do it first then lol. That's just weird that Mazda puts an oil requirement of 75W80 in their owner's manual when it doesnt even exist.

Btw, who's Jimmy?
    http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...t-Performance/
    Current: 2016 Lexus GS-F, 2017 Honda CRV Touring
    Past: 2015 Scion FRS 6MT, 2010 M3 E90 6MT, 2013 Scion FRS 6MT, 2005 Mazda 3 GT Hatch.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Btw, who's Jimmy?
    you dont know jimmy lol hes the mazda 3 god
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Carbon Grey

Mods to date: 8000K HID, 3000K HID Fogs with smoked tint, Angel Eyes, Eye Lids, Smoked LED 3rd Break Light, Led Interior Lighting, Open Mouth Grill, Front Lip, Rear Flares, OEM Side Skirts, Custom Black Emblems, TM3 License Plate Covers & Rear TM3 Stickers, 2-way Viper Alarm, 23% Tinted Windows, Black Reflectors, 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, Eibach Pro Kits, Smoked Side Marker, Tinted Rear Tails, VG shark fin, Hella Horns, 18" Tenzo Type M Version 1 Black wrapped with 225/40/18 Nankang NSII, RHO Plate, Magnaflow CBE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I had my fluid changed by QEW Mazda 75w/90 GL4 is the bulk oil supplied to the dealer through the Mazda oil program. This is what they use in all Manual transmissions and it is full synthetic. the 75w/80 is mineral oil. there are no warranty issues as this is the grade that Mazda supplies them. Makes a big difference in shifting , only thing I would do different is add a Ford friction modifier to stop the LSD from whining at low speeds while turning! Contact John in service he knows this very well and will be happy to serve you. Plus great coffee and cookies!!