Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Lightbulb Trunk Release mod?

Hi,

I have the 2010 3 GX Sedan with keyless entry from the dealership. The remote has lock/unlock/option. The option button is used to disable the panic honking when lock is held down. I was wondering if there's anyway for me to disable the panic honk, and convert the option button to an automatic trunk release.

If so, anyone know how this can be done?

TIA
    Last edited by alho; 11-30-2010 at 10:37 AM. Reason: Added sedan... imp info!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Trunk Release mod?

first obvious question do you have a hatch or sedan? this may be possible with a sedan but to a hatch it would probably be quite costly.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not to steal this thread, but this is very interesting.

would it take to do what alho said on a GT hatch?
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport GT

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
    first obvious question do you have a hatch or sedan? this may be possible with a sedan but to a hatch it would probably be quite costly.
    Right... forgot to mention I have a sedan. I would imagine people with a hatch don't want to do this in case they are against the wall and hits the button by accident or something...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Rob23 View Post
    From the description, I think they have the hatch (making the thread title misleading...) - the GX sedan doesn't come with a remote at all, and higher levels explicitly list trunk release remotes (Link); on the other hand, the Hatch GX comes with the three-button remote for Un/Lock, and Panic.

That said, the hatch doesn't lift by itself when you press the button release on it anyways, so I see this mod as having only limited value unless you replace the gas lift tubes...

2010 Mazda 3 Sport - Gunmetal Blue Mica

- Tints - LED Interior - Aluminum Pedals - Rally Armour - VG Sharkfin - Morimoto 5000k HID - Nokya Fog Lamps -
    - MS3 Rims - TWM Shifter - Eibach Pro-Kit - Koni Sports - Corksport SRI - Hella Supertones - Yakima Rack -

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Huh. Well you can ignore my post above, lol.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Fuyuzora View Post
    From the description, I think they have the hatch (making the thread title misleading...) - the GX sedan doesn't come with a remote at all, and higher levels explicitly list trunk release remotes (Link); on the other hand, the Hatch GX comes with the three-button remote for Un/Lock, and Panic.

That said, the hatch doesn't lift by itself when you press the button release on it anyways, so I see this mod as having only limited value unless you replace the gas lift tubes...
    Right. I got the dealer to install keyless entry when I originally got my GX. Which I shouldn't have and went aftermarket so I can get a alarm too... but oh wells.

I think this should be mod should be doable, but I need directions!!!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do you want the trunk to actually lift all the way up on it's own? Or just have the latch release like it does from the release lever inside the car?
    If you want it to go up on it's own, you'll need motors/actuators and or different lift bars, etc etc.
    To just release the latch, you may still need a motor b/c I believe it's a mechanical release and not an electronic release.
    Warning!!!
    A STAGE#5 POST WHORE IN TRAINING...

2004 GT Arctic White :: Manual 2.3 ::
    SRI | HID | Moustache

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If it's a motor release, he may be able to scavenge the part from a wrecked MZ3 sedan... Based upon my experiences at wrecking yards in the past, the vast majority have extensive frontal damage, but the rear should be perfectly intact.

Might be worth looking into.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just want it to release on it's own. Doesn't necessarily have to lift on it's own. I need instructions on how to connect it it to the receiver of the remote as well...

Maybe I will do a bit of research and post a how-to if no one has done it before.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alho View Post
    I just want it to release on it's own. Doesn't necessarily have to lift on it's own. I need instructions on how to connect it it to the receiver of the remote as well...

Maybe I will do a bit of research and post a how-to if no one has done it before.
    Even that is not as simple as one might think. When you press a button on the remote, it goes to a receiver inside the car, and then to a chip or computer with specialized instructions. If there are seperate wires that go from the instruction module out to the panic system, then that's relatively easy, just need to find them an cut them then solder them to the wires for the trunk release system (which you will have to create, either by ordering one online or making it yourself). However, I'm doubtful that this is the case.
    If the receiver is part of the main computer, or the signal goes from the receiver to the computer, then you'd have to find someone to reprogram the flash chip on the computer. You'd also have to find out what path the signal takes from the computer to the lights and horn for the panic system, and splice off those or remove them altogether and have them go to your trunk release system.

I don't truly know how the system is set up, but those are my guesses.