Toyota Highlander Limited
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Random MS3 Chat Thread

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Yeah, because the torque spec on those bolts is 71-84 in-lb...so like 6ft-lbs...a 1/4 drive ratchet you can pretty easily do 20-30ft-lbs without even realizing it.
    Oh I forgot about that when I did mine. Yea basically hand tight then 1/4 to a 1/2 turn is pretty much all you need.
    2008.5 Mazdaspeed 3, CWP
    Forged internals + GTX2871r
    // Build thread // Instagram: @sleepy.ms3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SomeGuy View Post
    Yeah, because the torque spec on those bolts is 71-84 in-lb...so like 6ft-lbs...a 1/4 drive ratchet you can pretty easily do 20-30ft-lbs without even realizing it.
    I was gentle but yes I easily over did it... I am just happy I didn't break the bolt off but I goofed and paid the price...

New valve cover and gasket on the way, no used ones on the market and I want the improved flow for the PCV system.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pwdunmore For This Useful Post:

shift8 (08-08-2018)

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pwdunmore View Post
    I was gentle but yes I easily over did it... I am just happy I didn't break the bolt off but I goofed and paid the price...

New valve cover and gasket on the way, no used ones on the market and I want the improved flow for the PCV system.
    Yea I'll likely be looking st the gen2 cover st some point as well. I'll just do that over the winter along with installation of a vented catch can. Have one now but not vented. For now just have the speedperformance vented oil cap for the gen1 valve cover.

Gotta get some of that stuff cleaned up in the offseason.

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    Yea I'll likely be looking st the gen2 cover st some point as well. I'll just do that over the winter along with installation of a vented catch can. Have one now but not vented. For now just have the speedperformance vented oil cap for the gen1 valve cover.

Gotta get some of that stuff cleaned up in the offseason.
    do NOT run that vented oil cap for the Gen1 valve cover at the track. With no baffle under the spout, oil (not just oil vapour) will come pouring out of the filter. The repeated WOT at the track will just saturate the cap filter and the oil will just drip down the side of the motor and over the engine bay.

I was down about half a litre of oil after a 15 minute session at TMP (the one and only time I ran the vented oil cap at the track...i was just lucky that the oil didn't catch fire on the exhaust manifold)... at 24 psi and oem oil cap, I had no issues with the dipstick lifting/popping or anything so I didn't really need the vented oil cap.

A vented catch can, sure ... a vented oil cap, even with the gen2 valve cover, is a no no at the track as you absolutely do not want any oil spray going onto the exhaust manifold.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MajesticBlueNTO For This Useful Post:

pwdunmore (08-08-2018),shift8 (08-08-2018)

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    do NOT run that vented oil cap for the Gen1 valve cover at the track. With no baffle under the spout, oil (not just oil vapour) will come pouring out of the filter. The repeated WOT at the track will just saturate the cap filter and the oil will just drip down the side of the motor and over the engine bay.

I was down about half a litre of oil after a 15 minute session at TMP (the one and only time I ran the vented oil cap at the track...i was just lucky that the oil didn't catch fire on the exhaust manifold)... at 24 psi and oem oil cap, I had no issues with the dipstick lifting/popping or anything so I didn't really need the vented oil cap.

A vented catch can, sure ... a vented oil cap, even with the gen2 valve cover, is a no no at the track as you absolutely do not want any oil spray going onto the exhaust manifold.
    Good to know. Yea, it's always been intended to be a temporary setup but looking like I need to boost the priority of the vented catch can setup. Looking like I'll just switch back to the stock oil cap then

(I'm only running stock boost right now, and even then, I'm not even boosting as I'm still waiting for a proper tune. Only thing is some MAF calibration in the short term.)

Sponsor - Mspeed Tuning & Diagnostics
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by shift8 View Post
    Good to know. Yea, it's always been intended to be a temporary setup but looking like I need to boost the priority of the vented catch can setup. Looking like I'll just switch back to the stock oil cap then

(I'm only running stock boost right now, and even then, I'm not even boosting as I'm still waiting for a proper tune. Only thing is some MAF calibration in the short term.)
    with the stock oil cap, at stock boost, even with a conservative 20 psi on that 2871, the worst that'll happen is oil in the intercooler piping.... and that's far better than an engine fire.

tbh, the vented oil cap wasn't an issue on the street. the fact that WOT logs on the street didn't show any signs of oil dripping out the vented cap lulled me into a false sense of security to run the vented oil cap at the track. however, it's the constant WOT on-off-on-off for minutes on end that'll lead to the issue.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MajesticBlueNTO For This Useful Post:

shift8 (08-08-2018)

Ride
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticBlueNTO View Post
    with the stock oil cap, at stock boost, even with a conservative 20 psi on that 2871, the worst that'll happen is oil in the intercooler piping.... and that's far better than an engine fire.

tbh, the vented oil cap wasn't an issue on the street. the fact that WOT logs on the street didn't show any signs of oil dripping out the vented cap lulled me into a false sense of security to run the vented oil cap at the track. however, it's the constant WOT on-off-on-off for minutes on end that'll lead to the issue.
    Thanks for the feedback based on experience! You're right. Engine fires are not ideal.

Page 280 of 280 FirstFirst ... 180230270278279280