Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tensioner Pulley noise easy and cheap fix

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tensioner Pulley noise easy and cheap fix

Hey, i apologize for bumping up an old thread but i just had a couple questions regarding this.

Is this covered under the warranty?

And secondly, those of you who have done it yourselves, is the noise completely gone for you or did it come back?

Thanks for the info/step by step guide for how to do it yourself stock3. If it isnt covered ill at least know how to do it myself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warranty: It depends on how old your car is and the mileage. I mean a sound I don't think they would cover under warranty, not until it is severely damaged and moving around a lot while the engine is on. Be best to ask your dealership.

I personally didn't do it my self, but I had Jimmy (TM3 mechanic) install it with a new serpentine belt since my mileage was around 115k and belt was original.

Jimmy recommended that the belt be changed if you are changing any of the tensioners - having said that after I replaced the OEM with the Dayco compatible one, the noise is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DTK View Post
    Hey, i apologize for bumping up an old thread but i just had a couple questions regarding this.

Is this covered under the warranty?

And secondly, those of you who have done it yourselves, is the noise completely gone for you or did it come back?

Thanks for the info/step by step guide for how to do it yourself stock3. If it isnt covered ill at least know how to do it myself.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by liquidzyklon View Post
    I thought I had the same issue posted here so I replaced my tensioner pulley with the GATES: 38008. Last week wasn't cold enough so I did not hear the gurgling sound, but the last two days the sound has returned. I may have another problem...
    The same exact sound happened again? What's your car mileage and year? Maybe a serpentine belt replacement is due...

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by zmz3 View Post
    The same exact sound happened again? What's your car mileage and year? Maybe a serpentine belt replacement is due...
    Yup same exact sound. I've been to the dealer last year and they claimed that the belt was worn but still in good shape. Replacement on wear and tear components are not covered by warranty. At that time, I didn't believe them it was the belt so I eventually bought the pulley myself and swapped it out. The sound still persisted, albeit sounding a little different but it appears when the car is at about 1500 RPM and slowly accelerating. So now, I guess I'll wait until the sound becomes more of a concern before I have the entire assembly replaced.

My car is in my signature, and mileage is at 73,500 km. Bumper to bumper warranty is done in Feb 2012.
    Retired: 2008 Mazda 3 GS Sedan - 32% All Around Tint - VG Shark Fin - 5000k HIDs - Grom iPod Adaptor - JDM Rainguard - Red 15 LED 3rd Brake Light - SK Performance White LED Interior Lights - Viper 5101 Remote Starter

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't figure out how to loosen the tension, it's bolted tight and it's not moving in any direction

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i'm at 56000 km and i get a squeling from the serpentine belt when the engine is really warmed up, will the pulley help me? or should just go for total belt replacement.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post
    I can't figure out how to loosen the tension, it's bolted tight and it's not moving in any direction
    Try rotating and turning (by hand) the tensioner with the belt towards the engine bay until you hear a stop. It will move. The tension will then be loosened.

Then remove the belt, loosen and remove the bolt, and so on.
    2009 Mazda 3 Sport GT
    Luxury Package | 5-spd Manual
    Bone stock DD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bueller20 View Post
    Try rotating and turning (by hand) the tensioner with the belt towards the engine bay until you hear a stop. It will move. The tension will then be loosened.

Then remove the belt, loosen and remove the bolt, and so on.
    To clarify...by hand, I meant, with the rachet on the bolt...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Guys

I just replaced this on my car with the Dayco. I noticed that I couldn't use the washer with the bolt, as the washer basically froze the pulley in place when tightened. I used it without the washer, just the bolt. Everything works ok....

Is this an issue?

Thanks for your help!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think GM belt tensioner pulley ACDelco # 38008 will fit Mazda. It have similar part # with Gates. I think Gates made it for GM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bueller20 View Post
    Hey Guys

I just replaced this on my car with the Dayco. I noticed that I couldn't use the washer with the bolt, as the washer basically froze the pulley in place when tightened. I used it without the washer, just the bolt. Everything works ok....

Is this an issue?

Thanks for your help!
    Are you sure you didn't flip the washer 180 when installing?
    I think you should try again and use the washer. The washer is there to provide enough surface area and I do not know if the bolt's head is big enough to provide sufficient support. While it may look like the bolt alone will hold, over time the head could be rounded off by the bearing as it is much harder.

Try again and post some pics.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Do a google search of the following parts:

DAYCO: 89015
    GATES: 38008

this is the part that is making the noise from engine compartment. I suggest Street Performance to replace it for you (once you order the part) or you can DIY if you are good with your hands/patient.
    Please be advised, the GATES 38008 is a 70 x 17mm pulley with a 25mm width and 6 ribs. Installation of this part will cause damage to the belt and severe squeaking!

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Okay, I did some digging and something you guys might appreciate.

There is a metal pulley which is 70 x 17 x 28mm with 6 ribs.

Gates PN 36326.

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop View Post
    Please be advised, the GATES 38008 is a 70 x 17mm pulley with a 25mm width and 6 ribs. Installation of this part will cause damage to the belt and severe squeaking!
    Is the Dayco part safe to use?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post
    Is the Dayco part safe to use?
    I have been using it for 15k km, and no issues so far.

I still hear some squeaking at 65-70km/h while in 4th year (4SPD auto here) though not as loud as original issue
    Last edited by zmz3; 02-18-2012 at 01:18 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gates PN 36326.
    Looking at this part, it seems more for the V6 3.0L engine for Escape/Tribute... Dimensions do work out fine

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3307&ppt=C0331 check compatibility...

It could work for the Mazda3 engines, but I am not too sure.

Metal should be better than plastic in long run..
    Last edited by zmz3; 02-18-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gates PN 36326.
    Bishop thanks for digging around and finding that metal pulley

The catalogue I used did not have that part number, so I recommended what was the closest to my measurements, here is the ling to that catalogue:

www.gates.com/downloads/newproductinfo.pdf

However, one thing has to be pointed out. I do not believe that pulley 38008 will damage the belts. Why do you state it in such certainty? Please elaborate.

All ribbed belts have standard dimensions that depend on the number of ribs. In this case the 25mm or 28 mm measurement is the overall width of the pulley, not the width of the area where the belt sits on. All it means is that 38008 pulley is slightly narrower on the outside, which should not cause any fit issues, but since it's still V-grooved, flanged and with 6 ribs, there should not be any damage caused to the belts, or premature wear.
    Keep in mind that I said "should", as I have no personal experience with this pulley, I went with Dayco since it was easier to find.

This metal pulley is a great find and I will try to get my hands on it. As I elaborated earlier, I believe that the weak bearing dust shields, that cause loss of grease, are the cause of squeaking, but with a plastic pulley the bearing cannot be changed to a better model. With this metal pulley, the bearing can easily be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

Also, does anybody know how to edit the original post? I would like to add the new pulley number.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The GATES 38008 is listed as an equivalent PN for the DYACO 89015 under O'Reilly's data base. So I don't fault you at all for listing them as equivalent parts since a major parts house has them listed similarly as well.

The damage is coming from the pulley not being wide enough. That is, the GATES 38008 causes severe belt squeak through all RPM ranges. I experienced this when I installed the Gates 38008 pulley onto my '06 3 because that is the part my local autoparts house carried. The belt did not squeak with the old pulley installed again which meant that either there was an alignment problem, the pulley was "bad", or there was something else going on that I couldn't see. Regardless, a squeaking belt is one that's being damaged by excess friction and heat either by misalignment or by incorrect spacing of the pulley ribs or section width.

This resulted in my digging into what the actual dimensions of the Gates 38008 pulley were which yielded the 25mm width of the 38008 as the likely suspect. Putting the 38008 on the counter next to the OEM pulley further confirmed the suspicion that the pulley was not of identical dimension with the OEM pulley being wider than the Gates. Additionally the majority of the replies to this thread stated the use of the DAYCO part number while no one that I noticed had used the GATES part number. I went into Gates' parts catalog to find out what they had that was intended for the Mazda 3 idler pulley and found GATES 38357 which is the completed tensioner assy with a metal pulley. It listed the pulley's dimensions as 70 x 17 x 28 mm with 6 ribs, which meant that they had to have the pulley itself as a loose piece somewhere. Further digging got me to the part number I mentioned (Gates PN 36326). I have since installed this pulley onto my 3 and 700 miles in I haven't had a so much as a peep from the belt or pulley. The bearing is identical between 38008 and 36326 PN's, or at least it has the same markings on the sides of the bearing itself. While I realize this might be premature, the metal pulley does indeed fit the car without a problem and would seem to be the pulley that Gates includes with their idler assy.

That's pretty much the whole story in a nutshell.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    Bishop thanks for digging around and finding that metal pulley

The catalogue I used did not have that part number, so I recommended what was the closest to my measurements, here is the ling to that catalogue:

www.gates.com/downloads/newproductinfo.pdf

However, one thing has to be pointed out. I do not believe that pulley 38008 will damage the belts. Why do you state it in such certainty? Please elaborate.

All ribbed belts have standard dimensions that depend on the number of ribs. In this case the 25mm or 28 mm measurement is the overall width of the pulley, not the width of the area where the belt sits on. All it means is that 38008 pulley is slightly narrower on the outside, which should not cause any fit issues, but since it's still V-grooved, flanged and with 6 ribs, there should not be any damage caused to the belts, or premature wear.
    Keep in mind that I said "should", as I have no personal experience with this pulley, I went with Dayco since it was easier to find.

This metal pulley is a great find and I will try to get my hands on it. As I elaborated earlier, I believe that the weak bearing dust shields, that cause loss of grease, are the cause of squeaking, but with a plastic pulley the bearing cannot be changed to a better model. With this metal pulley, the bearing can easily be pressed out and a new one pressed in.

Also, does anybody know how to edit the original post? I would like to add the new pulley number.
    Create your next post how you want the first post to look like from start to finish and I will replace the content for you.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

EDIT:Important new information added

Thanks to Bishop we now know that Gates pulley # 38008 is not correct for Mazda 3. He confirmed that it is too narrow and will cause belt squeal pretty much right away, which means the belt can be damaged.
    The correct Gates pulley # is 36326.
    It is also worth mentioning that this pulley is metal.

Just to keep the important info on top, here are the correct pulley numbers:

GATES: 36326

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK guys and gals, I have found a very cheap and easy fix for noisy serpentine belt tensioner pulley.

My tensioner pulley started making slight squeaking / squealing noises about 3 years ago (car is 2006), so basically about 1 to 1.5 years after purchase. It was very faint and only during cold morning starts and at certain RPM's. I brought it to the dealer and of course they said it's normal.

I decided to just keep driving and keep an eye on it while the car was under warranty. Since then nothing really happened, I am out of warranty as of last year, but the noise is getting louder and louder and doesn't go away when the car is warmed up anymore.

I know the bearing in the tensioner pulley is shot, I removed it early this year to re-pack the bearing with grease, it was dry and had side to side play, but re-packing it with grease seemed to help a bit and got me up until this point. I knew from the beginning that it was only a band aid fix.

Well, the temps are getting lower and lower and that tensioner pulley was making me feel uneasy, I don't want the pulley to seize when it's -25C outside and take out the belt with it when I'm stuck in traffic. So I started looking for other solution.

First I called the dealer and they only sell the whole tensioner assembly, which is about $140 +tax. Not my coup of tea, since the tensioner itself is perfectly fine. Lucky, when I originally removed the pulley to re-grease it, I measured it. The dimensions are 70mm OD, 17mm ID and 28mm wide, flanged with 6 grooves.
    DAYCO # 89015 and GATES 36326. match these dimensions. I went to Dayco website and it turns out that they have tons of part stores across GTA that carry their products. They even have a handy store locator on their website.

Anyway, I called few places in Mississauga and most have the pulley in stock or can easily order one for you. The best part... it's about $27+tax.

The pulley is very easy to change in your driveway and will take about 10-15 minutes.

I changed mine yesterday and with -14C this morning the belt and tensioner pulley were dead quiet.
    I will keep you posted how it goes for the next few weeks or months, but I don't expect any problems at all, since the pulley uses exact same bearing as the OEM one.
    I took some pics while I was doing the work and if you guys want me to post a short How To or just the pics, let me know, I can do it in few weeks.

Again the numbers are:

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have been using it for 15k km, and no issues so far.

I still hear some squeaking at 65-70km/h while in 4th year (4SPD auto here) though not as loud as original issue
    Does the driving feel better with the new belts + tensioner pulley or just the reduction in sound?

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Had both the AC belt, serpentine belt, and tensioner pulley replaced. Car drives smoother accelerating and coasting as the gurgling sound appears to be gone, hopefully the sound doesn't come back in a few months. Great thing I found this thread

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

=stock3;894267
    Thanks for this. I am getting both belts replaced this week and would be great to replace the tensioner pulley as well. I am going to check with Cawthra Electric.

Any preference to go with Dayco or Gates?
    Last edited by RedRaptor; 04-22-2012 at 09:35 PM.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaptor View Post
    Thanks for this. I am getting both belts replaced this week and would be great to replace the tensioner pulley as well. I am going to check with Cawthra Electric.

Any preference to go with Dayco or Gates?
    You're in luck because I changed both belts and the pulley two weeks ago. It seems that the pulley will last about two years. This one, which was the Dayco pulley, suffered the same failure, that is the shield did not hold the grease inside the bearing, as rthe original Mazda pulley.

This time I bought Gates pulley# 36326. It fits perfectly and since it's metal I can replace just the bearing next time around. I got it at NAPA and it was $20 plus tax.
    So, with new belts and the pulley my car, once again, is nice and quiet in the morning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stock3 View Post
    You're in luck because I changed both belts and the pulley two weeks ago. It seems that the pulley will last about two years. This one, which was the Dayco pulley, suffered the same failure, that is the shield did not hold the grease inside the bearing, as rthe original Mazda pulley.

This time I bought Gates pulley# 36326. It fits perfectly and since it's metal I can replace just the bearing next time around. I got it at NAPA and it was $20 plus tax.
    So, with new belts and the pulley my car, once again, is nice and quiet in the morning.
    I stopped by the NAPA Auto Parts in Brampton and ordered the Gates (DriveAlign® - Idler Pulley) Part Number: 36326. They didn't have one in stock but would get one in tomorrow for me. Confirmed price is $20 plus tax.

The parts guy was helpful and told me this part is actually for a 2005 Mazda Tribute and wanted to make sure it works/fits for a Mazda3. I said yes.

I'm getting my alternator, A/C + Serpentine Belts and now tensioner pulley replaced by Jimmy/Street Performance this week.

Thanks again to stock3 and Bishop!
    Last edited by RedRaptor; 04-23-2012 at 01:11 PM.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast