Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tensioner Pulley noise easy and cheap fix

Quote Originally Posted by tmpz View Post
    Yes, you gotta be careful not to slip the belt off the other pulleys. You have to be tugging really hard to do that.

Take a picture before you work on it and use it for reference when putting things back together.
    Sorry, a bit confused with the post. If I have to be tugging really hard to remove the belt off the other pulleys then I really don't have to be "careful"?
    Made in BC.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the first picture, it's in the resting state. In the second picture, you're pushing towards the engine bay (sorry I'm using Paint to edit it, it might not look exactly like that but it should give you an idea).

Here's the diagram of the belt for 2008 Mazda 3:

"Auto Tensioner Pulley" is what I have in Green. As you can see, there are a lot of pulleys. You don't want to slide the belt off for the other pulleys.

2009 Mazda 3 GS Metro Gray Automatic

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for providing the illustrations

Do we have the inside schematic of the tension mechanism? How often does that fail vs the pulley itself?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Google View Post
    Thanks for providing the illustrations

Do we have the inside schematic of the tension mechanism? How often does that fail vs the pulley itself?
    do NOT open the tensioner yourself. You may end up with a spring in the eye! The only reason to replace the whole unit is if it no longer puts pressure, or very low pressure on the belt.
    Enkei Wheels,R40 lug nuts, ISC N1 coilovers, Corksport short shifter, CS Rear sway bar
    Ebay front strut bar, Custom magnaflow axleback w/ 4" tips, Style M front lip

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm getting a noise whenever it rains or moist outside. Whenever I start up the next day it makes the following sound: http://soundcloud.com/user943064652/sets/es
    Hope I'm in the right thread!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by m3rk View Post
    I'm getting a noise whenever it rains or moist outside. Whenever I start up the next day it makes the following sound: http://soundcloud.com/user943064652/sets/es
    Hope I'm in the right thread!
    Sounds like the tensioner pulley.

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by js593 View Post
    do NOT open the tensioner yourself. You may end up with a spring in the eye! The only reason to replace the whole unit is if it no longer puts pressure, or very low pressure on the belt.
    I read elsewhere that you must not get your finger(s) between the belt and the pulley when installing it back on the tensioner. What tool are you suppose to use then to put back the belt onto the pulley/tensioner if you can't touch the belt?

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got the Gates pulley from Napa and changed it last week. Not too sure if my problem was really the pulley. Here are some sound clips:

http://soundcloud.com/user943064652/sets/engine-noise

004 is last night after a little rainfall.
    005 is today when I went to the bank after work to do a deposit. When I got out of the car, that's the outrageous sound. Put the mic near the belts and pulleys. Help would be much appreciated!

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So I got the Gates pulley from Napa and changed it last week. Not too sure if my problem was really the pulley. Here are some sound clips:

005 is today when I went to the bank after work to do a deposit. When I got out of the car, that's the outrageous sound. Put the mic near the belts and pulleys. Help would be much appreciated!
    Does anyone know what's the cause of this sound? Pretty embarrassing driving today..

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This noise is a result of some problem with the belt and/or tensioner. My 2010 Mazda3 2.0 automatic had around 17k when I got tired of that sound and went to the dealer. At the 2nd attempt/visit I was able to re-produce the sound on the road. After that they put the car on the jack and heard it again. They decided to replace the belt and tensioner and the noise disappeared. Now the car has 30k and the noise is back again. I will ask them to replace these parts again. In my opinion the problem is caused by the tensioner, which has poor quality and... I was very surprised to learn that the wheel of the tensioner is made of plastic! How cheap are these guys at Mazda to save money this way!
    Next car I am going to get after I sell or trade it won't be Mazda for sure.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Did it work well? Is Gates pulley from Napa made of plastic like original Mazda's? Why do you think it is better than original?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: Tensioner Pulley noise easy and cheap fix.

Sorry, I posted before I read everything below. Thanks for advises. My car is still on the warranty till April 2013. I am thinking if I should go to Mazda and put the same original shit or order that Gates part and go to a mechanic. Where is that Jimmy @ SP you mentioned guys?

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I bought the Gates pulley today at Napa and thinking about getting it installed by my mechanic.
    To questions came into my mind:
    1.Is there a chance that Mazda could refuse to fix the engine by the warranty, if something happens to it, like a damage caused by the belt cut?
    2.What could be done to make Mazda recall their cars for pulley replacement to metal one? What is the procedure?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

just checked mine as i was getting some squeaking and sure enough it was pretty gunked up with sand, gonna get a new one ASAP
    ================================================== =====

Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dany View Post
    I bought the Gates pulley today at Napa and thinking about getting it installed by my mechanic.
    To questions came into my mind:
    1.Is there a chance that Mazda could refuse to fix the engine by the warranty, if something happens to it, like a damage caused by the belt cut?
    2.What could be done to make Mazda recall their cars for pulley replacement to metal one? What is the procedure?
    2010+ models have a metal pulley on their tensioner assembly. The squeaking could be the belt or the actual pulley. For me, it was the serpentine belt which was casuing the squeaking.
    2004 Mazda3 Sport GT|Winning Blue| OG 2.3L @ 450,000 km & counting

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have 2010 Mazda bought in April 2010. The pulley was made of plastic. This winter Mazda replaced it with the same plastis pulley and the same belt. It worked 10.000km, then the noise came back.

Following the advises here, I bought Gates metal pulley and my mechanic replaced the original plastic one with it. Nothing has changed: well described here squeaking is still present.
    Don't buy Gates part, won't help.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just want to let you guys know that this has (temporarily at least) fixed my problem, using the Dayco 89015.

My problem was engine noise, almost like a diesel engine chugging sometimes with a whine between 1500-2000 RPM only under load when the gas is pressed. It was most obvious when the gear changes and the RPM dropped from 2500 to around 1700 at highway speeds. It also seemed to be worse the colder the temperature is.

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan with 42500km on it and I noticed the sound around the 41k mark.

Thanks so much for posting it

Jr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For all of you guys not sure if the noise is coming from the pulley or the belt, here is a very simple way to tell which one is the culprit. With the car idling, grab a spray bottle and spray some water on the belt ribs. Just one or two squirts are enough. If it's the belt that's making the noise, it will stop, or at least the noise will change its character the moment you spray some water on it and will return after a short while when the water dries out. If the noise remains the same, chances are it’s the tensioner pulley or another accessory.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by drperogie View Post
    Just want to let you guys know that this has (temporarily at least) fixed my problem, using the Dayco 89015.

My problem was engine noise, almost like a diesel engine chugging sometimes with a whine between 1500-2000 RPM only under load when the gas is pressed. It was most obvious when the gear changes and the RPM dropped from 2500 to around 1700 at highway speeds. It also seemed to be worse the colder the temperature is.

I have a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan with 42500km on it and I noticed the sound around the 41k mark.

100% same issue on my 2011 Mazda 3 with only 24000km. Cheap belt system, that is all i can say. For now, ill live with it since it started like yesterday when the temperatures dropped. I looked at my belt, it all appears brand new...

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound is back already it seems. Guess its the belt. Anybody know a part number for a replacement belt? and how easy is it to change the belt yourself? It looks pretty straightforward except for the crankshaft part.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sound is back already it seems. Guess its the belt. Anybody know a part number for a replacement belt? and how easy is it to change the belt yourself? It looks pretty straightforward except for the crankshaft part.
    I'd give you the part numbers, but from what I heard, there's different belts for the different engine/year. You should also change the AC belt while you're at it because it has to be removed by removing the AC unit or cut the AC belt.

I have the same issue, I'm replacing the Serpentine and AC belts with Mazda OEM belts tomorrow at Street Performance. I'm hoping the sound will go away.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by tmpz View Post
    I'd give you the part numbers, but from what I heard, there's different belts for the different engine/year. You should also change the AC belt while you're at it because it has to be removed by removing the AC unit or cut the AC belt.

I have the same issue, I'm replacing the Serpentine and AC belts with Mazda OEM belts tomorrow at Street Performance. I'm hoping the sound will go away.
    Oh figures. tell us how it goes for the sound and about how much it cost you if it ends up working

Ride
    2007 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Have the same issue, my dealer told me "There is a sound coming from cooling system that sounds like a gurgling which is just the sound of coolant circulating back into overflow bottle."

Let me guess, you hear this noise also when driving uphill too?

I also had the serpentine belt, AC belt, and tensioner pulley replaced (dayco 89015) in February, the sound remained.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheAnswer_03 View Post
    Have the same issue, my dealer told me "There is a sound coming from cooling system that sounds like a gurgling which is just the sound of coolant circulating back into overflow bottle."

Let me guess, you hear this noise also when driving uphill too?

I also had the serpentine belt, AC belt, and tensioner pulley replaced (dayco 89015) in February, the sound remained.
    I don't think its the same, its pretty loud and whiney when its cold out. And relpacing the pulley made it go away for at least a little while.
    Its that exact rpm range and accelerating that makes the sound not going up or down hills. If I put it in 2nd, put my e-brake on or my left foot on the brake and rev it to 1500 rmp the sound is clear as day. I'm probably making it sound worse than it is, I just don't like how my 2 year old car sounds like a 20 year old clunker when I drive down my street in the morning.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh figures. tell us how it goes for the sound and about how much it cost you if it ends up working
    Update: So I got Jimmy to replace Serpentine and AC belts with Mazda OEM belts from MoT. It's tiny bit quieter, but the noise is still there. You can hear it at idle or low RPMs, especially when the hood is popped up.

Jimmy said it could because of a late oil change, something about clogging up the oil. He suggested trying better oil, like Pennzoil Platinum 5W20. I don't think that's the issue. I've always changed every 4 months give or take a few weeks.

I'll definitely try using Pennzoil Platinum next time as I bought some when it on sale at Walmart.

I'm out of ideas. Anyone else got an any ideas?

Thanks.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast