Thread: 2010 MS3

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 MS3

Gotta love a clean car!
    couldn't stand looking at my dirty car anymore after driving back from windsor, so decided to got to the car wash and spent an hour washing it, then got home and decided to wax the car XD

With that said; after driving my new car for almost a month and ran over 2000kms on it already... it's time for a review...

I'm going to go ahead and skip all the specs since you can find it anyway and just give my inputs on the car...

Exterior look:

With all the hate on the smiley face, I for one actually love it! I feel the design has become much more elegant. The gen 1, however does have a tougher look to it that this one, but over all I just really like the look of the gen 2 speed.
    The only thing is, I'm not such a fan of the round fogs and much prefer the squared off ones myself. Minor detail that doesn't bug me enough to bother and change it.

Interior look and feel:

This is what sold me! As I've mentioned on some of my other posts, I was looking at the SI(2010 sedan) and the STI(2011 sedan). Although the STI is a better car overall. The interior doesn't have the same comfort feel and lacks the elegant design to that of the 3 and note that this car isn't any less fun to drive than an STI, but I'll talk about that in a bit. When sitting in the drivers seat, it feels like everything is just in the right place and I can comfortably and easily drive without the slightest strain on anything. (I like sitting almost straight up, but low, with the steering wheel all the way down, but the top of the wheel blocks my view to the speedometer =( )
    The design is very easy on the eyes, not too busy or distracting and with just the right touch of leather (not a leather fan, I like my cloth seats) but it works very well in this car. Having the extra bit of leather in there makes the car feel a little more luxurious and with the cloth center on the seats I get what I want out of sports/racing seats, not to mention the terrible sticky leather feel on your back in the summer...won't have to worry about that!
    The back seats I feel don't have much leg room for passengers which is a downfall if you're more of a family guy or drive you friends around a lot, but for me, it's actually a plus. I hate having passenger in the back!
    The one thing they could have done was make BOTH front seats automatic instead of just the driver, which again, doesn't bug me too much.

Tech and Gadgets:

I'm going to start with keyless entry. I love the fact that I don't have to take out my keys or reach into my pocket to press a button to unlock the doors. Just press the button and I'm in! Minor detail though, would have looked much better if it wasn't a black rubber button, but a hard button painted to match the body colour. Maybe that's something they can do for 2012 . Although annoying at times, it's nice to have a reminder that you're walking away from the car with the engine still on (not that you wouldn't know) but just neat in my opinion.
    Steering wheel controls + cruise control - I find the "flick action" controls on the steering wheel to be easier to use when I'm wearing gloves compared to the press button controls, but of course doesn't look as sleek. I'm going to go with function. Love them. The cruis control, however, is a little more difficult to access. It's tucked in the inside of the wheel and is a little awkward to get to without "reaching" for them. Mazda could improve on that a little bit to make it easier to control. I love the cruise control on the Lexus RX330, very simple and easy to access.
    The Bose sound system - very crisp and great sound, but for those of you who are bass junkies, you'll need to upgrade to a bigger sub. Good luck trying to keep all that trunk space though =P. I love the sound system and don't plan on changing it.
    With the GPS - Initially when I test drove the car (gps wasn't set up on that one yet..?) I found the screen to be way too small and thought the gps would be terrible to use. When I finally got the chance to use it, I actually liked it. Although small, the clarity and position of it is great. Its nice that I can control it from the steering wheel when I'm driving, but with the safety feature... you can't really do much. When stopped. It's a little annoying how long it takes to scroll through letters to enter destinations, but once set the gps works very well. The info displays on the same screen are pretty good too, but I just wish it had a few more functions (ie. engine temp, tire pressure, etc... ) ----also bluetooth audio works great with my iphone along with phone calls. The voice recognition is pretty decent.

The drive:
    Contrary of what others may say, and I may get people telling me "Just wait till you do it..." etc... I find this car has enough power. Yes having more is great and fun, but it's just not necessary for the street. (If you're tracking then by all means...)
    I like the fact the turbo eases in instead of having such a huge impact when you hit a certain rpm, but of course the other way is more fun I have to admit .
    I find the car takes corners much better when you pull through it with is a lot of fun and I don't feel too much roll at all. The steering is pretty responsive and you don't really feel much understeer until you're pushing it in corners. All in all, the handling is good and responsive. Launch is pretty quick, which is expected, but the car does feel slightly sluggish from the initial start (that may be just me though).
    Some reviews have said the suspension is pretty stiff, but I feel it's pretty comfortable and doesn't feel all that stiff. My last car was riding on coilovers with really stiff suspension though, so the transition for me may be a little different.
    While at speeds over 90km, I feel the inside of the cabin has a little more noise than I'd expect from a new car, but that's very minor and doesn't really bug me too much.
    The stock lights I find don't beam far enough and aren't quite as bright as I'd like it to be, so HIDs will be going in in the near future. They do brighten up width-wise though which is a plus. The fogs especially are so dim that it's quite useless, so that will have to be changed too.
    The clutch is actually not very heavy, as some say it's a very heaving clutch. I find it to be fairly light-medium in weight.
    The shifter has a short enough throw, but shorter would be better. Some times I have trouble getting into second gear, mostly when it's a colder day and the car's not warmed up yet. That's discussed in another thread though. Compared to the SI and the STI gear box, I find this one to be slightly rougher at the beginning, but after about a week or so it felt pretty smooth when shifting, so I guess it just took me some getting used to with the car.

A little long, but I'm sure I've forgotten a bunch of stuff since it's 2:30 in the morning.
    If there's anything else that anyone feels is worth mentioning or have questions about any other aspects of the car... feel free to make your inputs.

I for one, can't wait til spring to really have some fun with the car! XD

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 MS3

looks great

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    looks great
    Thanks =]
    are you a 2010 owner as well if so what are your thoughts?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice car and review! Were you at the coin op on buroak?

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PR3Y11 View Post
    Thanks =]
    are you a 2010 owner as well if so what are your thoughts?
    I had a 2007 so doesn't have all the same toys as yours so can't comment on that, but I agree when I test drove an STI during the time I had my MS3 (modded to be fair: Cobb Sways, Springs, wheels/tires, CPE TBE, Cobb SRI, Cobb FMIC, Cobb AP, MM, KHS etc.) I didn't feel like I was missing out on much given the price difference between the two. I still like STI's but agree the MS3 is a fantastic value. Here are a few videos of my ride when I had it:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just washed mine this morning and after a 15 minute drive it's dirty again.

You mentioned you're planning on putting in HIDs so just thought I'd let you know that the car already comes with HIDs so no point in changing that. Some (including me) have changed the lens to one that is clearer to increase the light output but that's on the pre-2010 model.

As for it feeling slow from a get-go, that's the torque management system limiting power in the first two gears to reduce wheel spin.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by stillmatic View Post
    nice car and review! Were you at the coin op on buroak?
    Yes that was at bur oak spent over an hour there washing lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Unoriginalusername View Post
    I had a 2007 so doesn't have all the same toys as yours so can't comment on that, but I agree when I test drove an STI during the time I had my MS3 (modded to be fair: Cobb Sways, Springs, wheels/tires, CPE TBE, Cobb SRI, Cobb FMIC, Cobb AP, MM, KHS etc.) I didn't feel like I was missing out on much given the price difference between the two. I still like STI's but agree the MS3 is a fantastic value. Here are a few videos of my ride when I had it:

Hmmm weird link didn't show when looking at the post but it does in the quote. On my phone ... Anyway I'll check it out when I get off work
    Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB View Post
    I just washed mine this morning and after a 15 minute drive it's dirty again.

You mentioned you're planning on putting in HIDs so just thought I'd let you know that the car already comes with HIDs so no point in changing that. Some (including me) have changed the lens to one that is clearer to increase the light output but that's on the pre-2010 model.

As for it feeling slow from a get-go, that's the torque management system limiting power in the first two gears to reduce wheel spin.
    I mainly want a purple ish blue fog lol in regard to slow start.... Thanks for the info didn't know that 

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cars looking good. You live by that coin-op? I'm probably 1 minute away from there. I should see you around maybe.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ah okay, you want to upgrade the fogs, I misunderstood.

Be careful of glare if you decide to put HIDs in the fogs. Last I heard the 2010+ no longer have the side covers for the bulb that the pre-2010s have and end up producing a lot more glare.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Roconne View Post
    Cars looking good. You live by that coin-op? I'm probably 1 minute away from there. I should see you around maybe.
    no, i'm a little further south at markham/steeles, but i'm washing my car at least once every week/two weeks depending how dirty it gets so i'm up there quick frequently

Quote Originally Posted by WeatherB View Post
    Ah okay, you want to upgrade the fogs, I misunderstood.

Be careful of glare if you decide to put HIDs in the fogs. Last I heard the 2010+ no longer have the side covers for the bulb that the pre-2010s have and end up producing a lot more glare.
    thanks for the tip, i'll definitely look into that before going ahead and making purchases

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good review, and awesome clean car Any tints on that thing yet? Don't think I see any

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey, nice review. I agree with most of your points even though I've only had the car for about 24 hrs lol.

Let me know when you're planning on hitting the bur oak coin wash again and I'll meet up with you sometime!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    Good review, and awesome clean car Any tints on that thing yet? Don't think I see any
    thanks, no tints yet, going to do it in the spring/summer to avoid bubbling
    Quote Originally Posted by VertigoM View Post
    Hey, nice review. I agree with most of your points even though I've only had the car for about 24 hrs lol.

Let me know when you're planning on hitting the bur oak coin wash again and I'll meet up with you sometime!
    thanks, if there's anything you want to add now that you've had the car for a little while feel free to do so, and i'll probably create a buroak coin op thread for people to post when they're going

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by PR3Y11 View Post
    thanks, no tints yet, going to do it in the spring/summer to avoid bubbling

thanks, if there's anything you want to add now that you've had the car for a little while feel free to do so, and i'll probably create a buroak coin op thread for people to post when they're going
    i did mine in february no bubbling
    2007 Mazda 3 GS Carbon Grey

Mods to date: 8000K HID, 3000K HID Fogs with smoked tint, Angel Eyes, Eye Lids, Smoked LED 3rd Break Light, Led Interior Lighting, Open Mouth Grill, Front Lip, Rear Flares, OEM Side Skirts, Custom Black Emblems, TM3 License Plate Covers & Rear TM3 Stickers, 2-way Viper Alarm, 23% Tinted Windows, Black Reflectors, 3M Carbon Fiber Vinyl, Eibach Pro Kits, Smoked Side Marker, Tinted Rear Tails, VG shark fin, Hella Horns, 18" Tenzo Type M Version 1 Black wrapped with 225/40/18 Nankang NSII, RHO Plate, Magnaflow CBE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mazdaskit View Post
    i did mine in february no bubbling
    hmm, i guess i was mislead, i'll get a quote from audio heaven and see what they say, i may get it done sooner if there's no worries for the winter
    thanks