Thread: 2010 Sport Windshield Cracked

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default 2010 Sport Windshield Cracked

I've been a long time reader of this forum but am a first time poster here. I drive a 2010 Mazda3 Sport GX and unfortunately got a chip, which became a 4-5 inch crack. I got the crack filled outside a Canadian Tire and it was good for about 3 months but then began expanding.

It's now about 2-feet long and though doesn't disrupt driving because it's really low, I need to get something done. It doesn't look like filling it is an option anymore.

I've searched the boards thoroughly and read all the posts about windshield replacement but they're mostly from 08-09 and I wanted to get some updated perspective or input from someone driving a 2010 Mazda 3.. Specifically:

- Is it okay to drive around with a crack like this until Winter ends, or should I get it changed now?
    - How much should I expect to pay for a 2010 windshield replacement? Speedy said ~$700 which seems higher than most others have paid..
    - What places / people are recommended for a windshield replacement?

Thanks a ton for all your help!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Re: 2010 Sport Windshield Cracked

I believe this topic was discussed before, try running a search.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Insurance should cover it for you, they consider it a safety hazard. It's not at fault, so nothing should happen to your premiums.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the quick responses guys!

I'm spoke to my insurance and unfortunately have a $1000 deductible for comprehensive; despite my trying to convince them otherwise, it seems that anything related to glass or even not-at-fault claims are covered under comprehensive, so it doesn't make sense for me to claim it. Have others experienced the same, or do some insurance companies consider a windshield crack separate comprehensive coverage?

Speedee gave me a $360 quote for pilkington glass with rain sensors, from searching this board in detail that seems fairly reasonable. Any other advice?

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ashgarg View Post
    Thanks for all the quick responses guys!

I'm spoke to my insurance and unfortunately have a $1000 deductible for comprehensive; despite my trying to convince them otherwise, it seems that anything related to glass or even not-at-fault claims are covered under comprehensive, so it doesn't make sense for me to claim it. Have others experienced the same, or do some insurance companies consider a windshield crack separate comprehensive coverage?

Speedee gave me a $360 quote for pilkington glass with rain sensors, from searching this board in detail that seems fairly reasonable. Any other advice?
    Reasonable? How can you even compare $360 to Speedy's $700?

I think you have your answer already.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point - only reason I asked is because Speedee doesn't have a website or anything else guaranteeing credibility, so I thought I'd double check. Seeing the number of people vouch for him on this website is enough for me though!

Any major difference between getting an after-market glass v/s a Pilkington? Cost difference is $80 from Speedee. Also, does getting the glass changed from a 3rd party impact my warranty with Mazda at all?

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't cheap out when it comes to your windshield, do a search on Pilkington and ask this Speedee guy questions. If you have to spend an extra $80 for quality windshield glass, then do it...you'll be looking out the front of the car every day, so it makes sense to pay for quality.

As for the warranty, I think that it would affect your Mazda warranty as far as the windshield goes... it's not a Mazda OEM windshield installed by Mazda techs, so my guess is that Mazda will have nothing to do with your windshield if anything happens. That's what the 3rd party installer's warranty is for anyway.

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fair point - only reason I asked is because Speedee doesn't have a website or anything else guaranteeing credibility, so I thought I'd double check. Seeing the number of people vouch for him on this website is enough for me though!

Any major difference between getting an after-market glass v/s a Pilkington? Cost difference is $80 from Speedee. Also, does getting the glass changed from a 3rd party impact my warranty with Mazda at all?
    Search for Speedee on here. Many members have used them.

What can they void? The glass? It's already been replaced.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Makes sense. Thanks again for all the quick responses, this has been hugely helpful. I have set up an appointment with Speedee for the weekend and will post feedback once it's done!

One final stupid question - how do I determine if my car has a rain sensor or not? It's a 2010 Sport GX..

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You likely don't have rain-sensing wipers, since it's a GX model, but you can check by looking at the top middle of your windshield (when you're outside the car). If you see a black square there that is too big to be the mount for your rearview mirror, that's your rain-sensor. Look on the right stalk (wipers) on your steering wheel, if you see the word 'Auto' on the turn dial, that means you have auto wipers.

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    You likely don't have rain-sensing wipers, since it's a GX model, but you can check by looking at the top middle of your windshield (when you're outside the car). If you see a black square there that is too big to be the mount for your rearview mirror, that's your rain-sensor. Look on the right stalk (wipers) on your steering wheel, if you see the word 'Auto' on the turn dial, that means you have auto wipers.
    Understood, thanks! I don't believe I have rain-sensing wipers but will check again tonight.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to these boards in the near future

Ride
    07 Mazda3 GT Sedan
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    73 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understood, thanks! I don't believe I have rain-sensing wipers but will check again tonight.

Thanks again for all the help everyone. Hopefully I'll be able to contribute more to these boards in the near future

Sr Member
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pilkington *is* aftermarket! Unless you paid more than $700 for a glass from the dealer, it isn't going to OEM. The closest thing you're going to get is a Sekurit aftermarket glass from 3rd party sources if you want to save money. Saint-Gobain Sekurit is the original maker of the glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Elusivellama View Post
    Don't cheap out when it comes to your windshield, do a search on Pilkington and ask this Speedee guy questions. If you have to spend an extra $80 for quality windshield glass, then do it...you'll be looking out the front of the car every day, so it makes sense to pay for quality.

As for the warranty, I think that it would affect your Mazda warranty as far as the windshield goes... it's not a Mazda OEM windshield installed by Mazda techs, so my guess is that Mazda will have nothing to do with your windshield if anything happens. That's what the 3rd party installer's warranty is for anyway.
    Pilkington is high quality and one of the best aftermarket brands. OEM glass is normally not installed by mazda techs anyway as they don't have the training nor equipment to handle windshield replacement... they all get contracted out to a glass company... all workmanship warranties will be the glass installer and not mazda (though they will liaison for you if you dropped the car off originally at mazda)... only the OEM glass has warranty on defects with mazda and will be handled under parts warranty
    2005 Mazda3 SP23 hatchback (auto)
    2016 Mazda3 Sport GT (auto)

Noob
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: So despite the terrible weather this morning, Pedro showed up right on time, and seems like he did a great job! It was quick, clean and efficient.

Now to take it outside later in the evening and make sure there are no leaks or other issues.. Thus far I've had a great experience with Speedee, hopefully it stays the same after I actually drive!

Ride
    2010 MS3 (black mica)
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Any view distortion out of the ordinary? Sounds like an awesome job.

Ride
    2003 Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update: So despite the terrible weather this morning, Pedro showed up right on time, and seems like he did a great job! It was quick, clean and efficient.

Now to take it outside later in the evening and make sure there are no leaks or other issues.. Thus far I've had a great experience with Speedee, hopefully it stays the same after I actually drive!
    he did my dads van (04 toyota sienna) today at 11am, i guess he did your car before he came here

came right at 11 finished in 45mins.

We got a Pilkington glass too, but only charged $200. I guess 2010 mazda glasses are more?
    Past:
    2003 Protege5
    2007 Mazda3 GT
    2002 E46
    ///M
    2010 Mazdaspeed3
    2003 Honda S2000
    Current:
    2005 S2000

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by thanu31 View Post
    he did my dads van (04 toyota sienna) today at 11am, i guess he did your car before he came here

came right at 11 finished in 45mins.

We got a Pilkington glass too, but only charged $200. I guess 2010 mazda glasses are more?
    rain sensors
    Go before show.

Ride
    2003 Honda S2000
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

truee

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Which place is better for chip repairs... Apple or Speedy??
    1999 Honda Civic SiR | Bolt-ons
    2010 Mazdaspeed3 | Cobb AP | Corksport SRI+TIP | Autotech HPFP | Magnaflow CBE

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

standardautowreckers has a mazda 2010 sport gs roadkill on thier parts list, see if they can sell you that piece.
    2010 Mazda 3 Sport GS
    Crystal White Pearl
    Mods: LED 3rd brake light, 6000k HIDs, 23% tints

Ride
    RAM 1500 - 2017
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't it have to stay warm for awhile before you take it outside?